CO- Dylan Redwine, 13, Vallecito, 19 November 2012 - #10

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone earlier asked where the last reservoir to be searched was (Lake Nighthorse, or Nighthorse Reservoir.)

I'm pretty sure it's "E" on the map - if you zoom in, you'll get recent sat photos and it's HUGE.

http://binged.it/11XQc9G

Three La Plata County Search and Rescue air-scent canines have returned to the Vallecito area to do ground searches. Articles with Dylan’s scent on them have been provided by Dylan’s mother (brought from Colorado Springs) and these articles allow the handlers to have his scent on reference in order for the canines to conduct their search. “Investigators are no longer looking at the possibility of Dylan being a run-away, but we still view this as a search and not a recovery effort,” said Dan Bender, Public Information Officer for the La Plata County Sheriff’s Office.

http://www.pinerivertimes.com/news.asp?artid=1095

This is from 11/28/12 - but this is after the lake search. It is talking about using the S&R dogs again but doesn't say anything about finding Dylan's live scent....

I don't know...I'm so frustrated...

What We Know - Things That have Been Verified

1. Dylan boarded a plane at some point on Sunday afternoon in Colorado Springs.
2. The plane arrived an hour late in Durango at approximately 6:00pm on Sunday
3. Dylan sent a text to his mother at 7:06 pm Sunday saying he had arrived and his father had picked him up
[No proof it was Dylan sending the message. Given the unhappy emoticon, it's very likely it was. Emoticon confirms he was not happy to be there]
4. After leaving the airport, Dylan and his father went to Walmart for groceries and McDonald's for 'food'
5. Dylan sent a text to a friend saying he would be going there on Monday morning instead of Sunday night
[No proof this was Dylan sending the message.]
6. All cell phone activity stopped at about 8:00 pm Sunday
[clarification - the cell phone no longer even pings at this point. Meaning it has almost certainly been turned off or the battery has been removed. It never gets turned back on - so Dylan never even tries to check it.]
7. Some of his clothes were inside his father's home sometime after Sunday
8. MR had appointments in Durango Monday morning, and he did keep them
9. When MR returned home at approximately 11:30 am on Monday, Dylan was no longer there.
10. Dylan's friends say they never saw or heard from him on Monday
11. ER says she never heard from him on Monday

Did I miss anything here?

*Assuming that Dylan was at the house when MR left Monday morning:*

What Happened Monday Morning? - Why Was Dylan Gone?

1. He got up, ate breakfast and watched tv for a while, got bored and started walking- expecting his father to be coming soon, pick him up on the road and get to Bayfield faster.
2. He got up, etc., grabbed his fishing pole, started walking toward the lake, and:
a. Someone offered him a ride, and something happened after he was picked up
b. Someone offered him a ride, and something happened to him after he got to the reservoir
c. Someone hit him with their car, panicked and hid his body or grabbed his body to hide elsewhere
d. Mountain lions or other animals attacked and dragged him off somewhere
e. He made it to the reservoir and something happened there
3. He got up, etc., and started walking, planning to hitchhike and
a. Someone picked him up and took him out of the area
b. Someone picked him up and murdered him, hiding the body somewhere else
c. Someone picked him up, got to where they had to turn off and dropped him off
d. Someone picked him up, and dropped him off in Bayfield
e. Nobody picked him up and the options are the same as the fishing one
4. Someone came to the house looking for MR, and:
a. Forcibly took Dylan
b. Offered him a ride to his friend's house
c. Offered to take him fishing while waiting for MR to get back
5. Dylan decided to walk to the local friend's house because:
a. He wanted to borrow a phone because his wasn't working
b. Hes was bored and wanted to hang out until his dad got home
c. He was hoping to find a ride to Bayfield
d. He wanted him to go fishing with him
6. He went to a neighbor's house to:
a. Borrow a phone
b. Ask for a ride to Bayfield

Why Didn't He Call Anyone After 8:00 Sunday?

1. The battery went dead on the way
2. No service
3. Phone finally completely burned out
4. Phone was broken
5. Too tired Sunday, something happened before he could on Monday
6. Wasn't feeling well and didn't feel like talking
7. He was with someone and didn't want others to know where he was
8. He was with someone who took away his phone

What Could Have Happened To Dylan?

1. Accidental injury/death in wilds
2. Drowning
3. Kidnap – stranger
4. Kidnap – acquaintance
5. Murder
6. Suicide
7. Hiding
8. Lost
9. Other?

Where Is Dylan Now?

1. Lake
2. Woods/wilds
3. Hidden by someone he knows & trusts
4. Held by someone he knows & trusts
5. Held by stranger locally
6. Held by stranger out of the area
7. Empty house somewhere
8. On the side of the road somewhere between MR's house and Bayfield
9. Buried or otherwise 'disposed' of by perp or animals

Who is Possibly Responsible?

Three La Plata County Search and Rescue air-scent canines have returned to the Vallecito area to do ground searches. Articles with Dylan’s scent on them have been provided by Dylan’s mother (brought from Colorado Springs) and these articles allow the handlers to have his scent on reference in order for the canines to conduct their search. “Investigators are no longer looking at the possibility of Dylan being a run-away, but we still view this as a search and not a recovery effort,” said Dan Bender, Public Information Officer for the La Plata County Sheriff’s Office.

http://www.pinerivertimes.com/news.asp?artid=1095

This is from 11/28/12 - but this is after the lake search. It is talking about using the S&R dogs again but doesn't say anything about finding Dylan's live scent....

I don't know...I'm so frustrated...

BBM

Reading the bolded portion makes me believe that they DID in fact, need scented items to be brought in by the mother. So can we drop the inferences that she lied or was mistaken about the need for such items now?

Honestly, if this becomes another case where nothing but a confession will locate Dylan...I don't know if we will ever have an answer. Or if it has to come down to "luck", as with Elizabeth and Lyric. Seems to be the only ways that anyone can ever be found, and it is very seldom that one confesses to harming/killing a child.

Scent dogs can search for a human with out having specific items belonging to them. If a burglar runs away from a patrol cop, they call in a K-9 Unit, who searches for the suspect in yards and woody areas, without any items belonging to the guy.

I think they initially did searches in the woods and the shoreline and were just looking fro recent scent trails, but did not have suitable scent items to make it specific to Dylan. jmo

You're probably right. I remember reading recently that his ipod and some of his clothes had been found there, but it probably wasn't LE who said it - they're pretty tight with their information. Thanks

It was never reported that ipod they found was Dylan's.

Scent dogs can search for a human with out having specific items belonging to them. If a burglar runs away from a patrol cop, they call in a K-9 Unit, who searches for the suspect in yards and woody areas, without any items belonging to the guy.

I think they initially did searches in the woods and the shoreline and were just looking fro recent scent trails, but did not have suitable scent items to make it specific to Dylan. jmo

I agree. I think that is exactly what happened.

Ok, I found the article about clothing on couch Monday when Dad returned home.

Snipped by me:

The next morning, Dylan was sleeping on the couch where Mark Redwine now sits and where Dylan's blankets still lie jumbled. Mark said he waited until 7:30 a.m. but still couldn't rouse his son, so he told him he would return about 11. When he got back at 11:30, his son's dirty cereal bowl was beside the sink. The television was on Nickelodeon. His son's fishing pole was gone. So was his black-and-gray backpack. A few articles of clothing were left behind on the couch.

BBM

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_22108222/dad-its-wait-wonder

Wow, this is the first time I heard Mark say he waited until 7:30 a.m. but still couldn't rouse his son. His story keeps changing. ER said her son would have gotten up because he wouldn't want to miss a ride with his dad.

A thought just occurred to me: even IF Dylan had worn the clothes that were reportedly left on the sofa, and even IF he had worn them during his flight from Colorado Springs to Durango, the fact that he sat on an airplane seat (that literally thousands of other people have sat on) could have possibly contaminated those clothings items in terms of them being able to be used as viable scent articles.

We need an expert opinion.

Honestly, if this becomes another case where nothing but a confession will locate Dylan...I don't know if we will ever have an answer. Or if it has to come down to "luck", as with Elizabeth and Lyric. Seems to be the only ways that anyone can ever be found, and it is very seldom that one confesses to harming/killing a child.

They should get a professional search group to look for him.

They should get a professional search group to look for him.

I agree. Though I have seen Tim Miller on TV saying that even his group prefers to work with LE on specific locations they want searched and we don't know if LE has any areas mapped out. I wonder if LE is using or did use the same type of equipment in the lake that TES uses; they have found many people in water.

A thought just occurred to me: even IF Dylan had worn the clothes that were reportedly left on the sofa, and even IF he had worn them during his flight from Colorado Springs to Durango, the fact that he sat on an airplane seat (that literally thousands of other people have sat on) could have possibly contaminated those clothings items in terms of them being able to be used as viable scent articles.

We need an expert opinion.

If, during his plane ride, he wore the clothes found on the sofa, police wouldn't be saying that he might have been wearing them when he went missing.
They know exactly what clothing he had on at the airport. So if they had that clothing from the house, they would know that he was not wearing the same clothing when he went missing.

BBM

Reading the bolded portion makes me believe that they DID in fact, need scented items to be brought in by the mother. So can we drop the inferences that she lied or was mistaken about the need for such items now?

I hope no one thought I was inferring that mom lied, because that's not what I think at all.

I hope no one thought I was inferring that mom lied, because that's not what I think at all.

I don't think you were implying that. :wink:

I am just saying that I think it has been reporting in enough articles that she DID in fact bring in the much needed scent items for the dogs, imo. I do not believe that she was mistaken about the need for those items.

I agree. Though I have seen Tim Miller on TV saying that even his group prefers to work with LE on specific locations they want searched and we don't know if LE has any areas mapped out. I wonder if LE is using or did use the same type of equipment in the lake that TES uses; they have found many people in water.

Tim Millers' group can look at the same lakes LE has been looking, and in wooded areas.

Tim Millers' group can look at the same lakes LE has been looking, and in wooded areas.

That is why I wondered if TES has better or different equipment than LE has been using.

Your post was excellent, Confusion, and I really appreciated it. I can see you put a lot of time, and a lot of thought into it. It was very accurate. I hope you will repost it.

The cheese, nice to see you here. I'm more of an take 3 hours to catch up hope to post relevant things to do it all over again :) I appreciate your posts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member