CO- Dylan Redwine, 13, Vallecito, 19 November 2012 - #46

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that mark took D's cell away from him at some point, and D went ahead and began texting from his i-touch. And it is possible that MR came into the livingroom, caught him texting again, and it may have state another argument.

I remember when my DD, the social butterfly, was 13 and we took her cell away at night until she finished her homework. I was so pleased that she seemed to be taking it so well, and did not argue with us about it. Then one night I went to put clean laundry away in her room and caught her texting from her i-touch. LOL Who knew they could do that? I was a bit angry at her because it was cheating. So I can imagine how MR might have reacted.

BBM

I also think this is a possibility. If this did happen I wonder if D texted someone and said 'my Dad took my phone away' or something like that?

But yes, I could see where that might tick a parent off a little.

I'm going to try and explain why it's important to me if Dylan used his I-Pod to text or had the ability to use it to text and didn't.

If Dylan did use his I-Pod to text someone at 9:37 Sunday that means that there is Wi-Fi available for him to use Monday morning and he could text his friends whether his phone was broken/dead or not. It's still possible that he chose not to but that's unlikely.

If he couldn't use his I-Pod to text Monday morning and his cellphone was inop for whatever reason he could try and use his dads computer. Knowing what we know now, I wouldn't be surprised that Mark's computer was password protected so that no one else could see his bookmarks, history, photos, and files.

That leaves the landline as Dylan's last available communication device. But if he hasn't memorized his friends numbers how will he call them? Use a phone book? Is there one even there? Call 411? Does he even know about that? If his friends only have cell numbers that won't work. In fact a lot of homes don't have landlines anymore.

So Dylan may have stuck out on his own trying to reach his friends, and met up with evil.

MOO.

So now we have confirmation that LE announced that they had his iPod texting account logs. D had his ipod with him. If LE announced that they had his logs, it leads me to believe he used it on his trip to his dad's. Otherwise, why would they even bring it up?

I believe MR had wifi. He had a laptop, and he had a steady job and he lived in a remote area by himself. And I believe he had some online hobbies. So I strongly believe he had wifi at the home.

I don't think he would keep the wifi password a secret from his kid. I am sure D wanted to log on when he was there. MR could password protect a part of his computer but still allow D the password to use the wifi.

I don't have an ipod..... so I'm not sure if this will make sense. But finding his ipod account means what exactly? They could access his texts and see who he was talking to for the past weeks, months, etc? But I'm still pretty sure someone very recently LE or ER said that last text was on his phone, if my memory serves. So that would mean , he is able to text on his ipod........in the event that his phone is disabled/lost/broken/dead........but he chose not to on either Sunday night or Monday morning for whatever reason?

How close is Mark's nearest neighbor? I live in a rural area & a number of people I know do not password protect as what is the point unless someone is doing a drive-by lol. We took our camper out to a friends place a few years ago & I bought her a souped up router so I could use her internet. I am going to guess we were 75 - 100 ft from her house & it was spotty at best. If I lived in a neighborhood, yes I would password protect but not if there is anyone close.

I do have my laptop password protected though, but only because of business...someone else may have other reasons, but wifi why bother if your neighbor can't access anyway?

So now we have confirmation that LE announced that they had his iPod texting account logs. D had his ipod with him. If LE announced that they had his logs, it leads me to believe he used it on his trip to his dad's. Otherwise, why would they even bring it up?

I believe MR had wifi. He had a laptop, and he had a steady job and he lived in a remote area by himself. And I believe he had some online hobbies. So I strongly believe he had wifi at the home.

I don't think he would keep the wifi password a secret from his kid. I am sure D wanted to log on when he was there. MR could password protect a part of his computer but still allow D the password to use the wifi.

I dont' know that this means he used it on the trip. He may have or not, but looking at the logs would be meaningful either way if DR has ... for example.. been speaking to a stranger on chat for the last 6 months, or been planning with a buddy to try to run away to califoria or been complaining about his parents divorce or really anything strange they would have seen . That's probably a lot of why they've ruled out runaway. Perhaps all of his contacts and messages showed a normal happy kid making plans for the week and plans for when he got home with his friends in CS, etc. moo of course

For myself, I am comfortable making the assumption Mark has Wifi based on:

He has a laptop + computer
Spotty reception, all the more to have it
Dylan told HIM where the good spots are, he would have know that if no wifi
He seems to be no slouch at texting
He has satellite for cable What would wifi cost $30-$40?
He has two trucks, a rental house, travel trailer, oh yeah & a college fund for Dylan

He is not poor in anyway, shape or form, so I would be shocked if he doesn't have wifi YKWIM
I wouldn't be surprised if Mark did have Wi-Fi in his home. But I also wouldn't be surprised if he didn't.

Just because he may have a laptop doesn't mean that he has Wi-Fi to use it inside his home. Maybe he uses his desktop at home and his laptop while on the road.

He is the only person that lives there so maybe the desktop is enough for him and he never set up a Wi-Fi.

MOO.

How close is Mark's nearest neighbor? I live in a rural area & a number of people I know do not password protect as what is the point unless someone is doing a drive-by lol. We took our camper out to a friends place a few years ago & I bought her a souped up router so I could use her internet. I am going to guess we were 75 - 100 ft from her house & it was spotty at best. If I lived in a neighborhood, yes I would password protect but not if there is anyone close.

I do have my laptop password protected though, but only because of business...someone else may have other reasons, but wifi why bother if your neighbor can't access anyway?

I'm in the sticks and I don't even know or understand password protection, but I'm sure my kids do.

If you look on google maps there are houses all around MR's. My computer internet service was automatically PW protected. It's not something I had to set up. The same goes for if I go to a friend, relatives house, or business with my laptop. I have to have the code to access the internet.

eta: Does a ipod work differently?

LE hasn't announced anything about Dylan having an I Pod texting account that I've seen.

And even if Dylan did have a I Pod texting account what matters is did he use his I Pod to text on Sunday evening? I haven't seen anything that suggests that happened.

MOO.

Password protecting your wifi is very important whether you live in a rural area or not. It's not just a matter of someone using your wifi to access the internet for free. If they do anything illegal via your internet service it will be traced back to you. It's also my understanding that creeps can access your computer camera and watch you in your home. They can also tap into your computer and steal vital information. It's just not wise and so easy to put a password on it.

I can pull up 16 wireless connections on my laptop right now that are within my reach, but they are all PW protected. It is very difficult now to find a open one. Security measures are much tighter than they used to be.

I can pull up 16 wireless connections on my laptop right now that are within my reach, but they are all PW protected. It is very difficult now to find a open one. Security measures are much tighter than they used to be.

Wow. That's a lot. I just checked and I'm picking up nine signals and all of them are password protected.

LE hasn't announced anything about Dylan having an I Pod texting account that I've seen.

And even if Dylan did have a I Pod texting account what matters is did he use his I Pod to text on Sunday evening? I haven't seen anything that suggests that happened.

MOO.

I don't think they specifically said iPod texting account, but rather email texting account. You can text through an iTouch with an email address or some texting apps which creates a phone number.

Wow. That's a lot. I just checked and I'm picking up nine signals and all of them are password protected.

I don't know who this guy named Peter is, but I'm getting a stronger signal from his than I am from my own. I wonder how many neighbors share their internet access and split the bill?

I don't think they specifically said iPod texting account, but rather email texting account. You can text through an iTouch with an email address or some texting apps which creates a phone number.

Thanks for the clarification mijamawi. It's good to see you back.

I'm still curious if Dylan made any texts via his I Pod while in Mark's home. As far as I can tell we just don't know.

Thanks for the clarification mijamawi. It's good to see you back.

I'm still curious if Dylan made any texts via his I Pod while in Mark's home. As far as I can tell we just don't know.

I'm curious too. If he did, then why and why didn't he use his phone? I think you sum it up nicely with, "we just don't know." Sigh.

I'm still here reading, but until we have some new news (preferably finding Dylan and/or making an arrest!) there isn't much for me to say.

Praying for a major break soon.
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=DNR

How about the HRD dog alerts at the lake? Do you have an opinion whether further searches of the lake are justified based on that? Or is it as a waste of resources to search the lake with sophisticated ROV's and sonar?

Password protecting your wifi is very important whether you live in a rural area or not. It's not just a matter of someone using your wifi to access the internet for free. If they do anything illegal via your internet service it will be traced back to you. It's also my understanding that creeps can access your computer camera and watch you in your home. They can also tap into your computer and steal vital information. It's just not wise and so easy to put a password on it.

Of course. We have a password but it is written on a stickynote so if anyone comes over and needs to log on with a computer or ipad, they can do so. I would assume that MR would have given Dylan the password so he could play games or go on Facebook etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne