CO- Dylan Redwine, 13, Vallecito, 19 November 2012 - #46

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The two computers that are "connected" = wireless.
I'm sure someone else can explain this to you. I'm not professing to be an expert, but you have wireless service. If you have a smart phone and give it your password, (assuming you have password protection) the phone will operate, thus wi-fi.

Wi-Fi and smart phones are two different things. People will connect to a Wi-Fi with their smartphone when using the internet so that they don't use the MB's of data that would go against their plan.

I still don't know if Dylan used his I Pod to text anyone on Sunday night.

Wi-Fi and smart phones are two different things. People will connect to a Wi-Fi with their smartphone when using the internet so that they don't use the MB's of data that would go against their plan.

I still don't know if Dylan used his I Pod to text anyone on Sunday night.

I understand your whole theory about Dylan, but that has nothing to do with what I was posting.
I was only discussing satellite internet with another poster. I explained that if she has satellite internet and a router to connect two computers, she has wireless service. If she tried to connect a smart phone or an ipod, she would enter the password for the wireless router and the smart phone/ipod would connect to the satellite and have internet access as well.
I also said I'm not an expert, but that is my understanding of how it works based on observation of someone who has this set up. I am able to use her satellite internet on my phone when I visit her house without incurring charges for internet use on my phone plan.
Continue on with your theories.
:seeya:

How do you know he has a laptop? I thought it was said he had a desktop computer. ETA - He did mention about cell coverage after the dam.
Satellite and cable are two different things, cable is underground, satellite receives signals through the air. We have two dishes, side by side, one for the t.v. and one for the internet.
We also have a desktop and my son has a laptop which are connected through a router, not a wireless one. We do not have wi-fi.
He could also have internet through the phone company, maybe that's why he has the land line. Our phone company offers internet service but they don't come all the way to our house. They also use underground cables.
In fact, wi fi may not even be available where Mark lives, being so far out of town. We can't get it here at all, so it's not necessary to have it for a laptop.

Elaine has said he has both on the NG show. I don’t remember MR saying anything about computers.

Regarding satellite, I said “He has satellite for cable, what would wifi cost $30-$40?” I can see how that was confusing; what I meant is if he is willing to spend money for the satellite for TV and given that he is also a texter, with spotty reception why wouldn’t he spend $30-$40 extra for internet?

You brought up a great point, MR could have internet through his land-line, which IMO would further justify in having given he is away so much. Other posters looking into the campground (not sure if that is the one closest to Mark though) has it and different places that advertise wifi & it very well could be coming via a land-line. If he or you have internet via the land line, all you need is a very inexpensive router to have wifi. Not sure the current cost of a router, one-time $30 shot?

I don't think so, the router is just to connect the two computers like in a network, it's not wi-fi, or at least that's what the tech that installed it told us.

If there's a cable (ethernet or USB) going to each computer, it's not a wireless router. You can get wireless routers for any kind of internet connection (cable, dsl, satellite), but then you also need wireless cards or adapters for each computer too.

I understand your whole theory about Dylan, but that has nothing to do with what I was posting.
I was only discussing satellite internet with another poster. I explained that if she has satellite internet and a router to connect two computers, she has wireless service. If she tried to connect a smart phone or an ipod, she would enter the password for the wireless router and the smart phone/ipod would connect to the satellite and have internet access as well.
I also said I'm not an expert, but that is my understanding of how it works based on observation of someone who has this set up. I am able to use her satellite internet on my phone when I visit her house without incurring charges for internet use on my phone plan.
Continue on with your theories.
:seeya:
I guess that it doesn't really relate to this case unless we know that Mark had Wi-Fi in his home. Until we know it's a fact that he did, then discussing different Wi-Fi scenarios is pretty much meaningless.

I think that my theory that has no Wi-Fi in it is pretty good myself.

If there's a cable (ethernet or USB) going to each computer, it's not a wireless router. You can get wireless routers for any kind of internet connection (cable, dsl, satellite or even dial-up), but then you also need wireless cards or adapters for each computer too.

Yes, I do agree with this, but I was thinking if she has 2 computers set up as a home network with a router, wouldn't it be wireless? I mean why would someone set up 2 computers in a household side by side connected by cables? Do they even make non-wireless routers? If they do, who the heck buys them? Doesn't make sense to me, but then again, I've seen quite a few things that don't make sense to me.
I guess wireless and wi-fi are somehow different, but if you can walk around with internet in your hand (phone), it all comes out the same to me; as long as my phone plan isn't charged for internet use I don't really care, lol.

I guess that it doesn't really relate to this case unless we know that Mark had Wi-Fi in his home. Until we know it's a fact that he did, then discussing different Wi-Fi scenarios is pretty much meaningless.

I'm so sorry you assumed I was speaking about the case. TXLady was making a statement about her satellite internet and I was trying to answer that question. I apologize for the inconvenience. I really have no additional comments about the case, so I will bow out so I don't confuse the subject. Again my apologies for any confusion.

Yes, I do agree with this, but I was thinking if she has 2 computers set up as a home network with a router, wouldn't it be wireless? I mean why would someone set up 2 computers in a household side by side connected by cables? Do they even make non-wireless routers? If they do, who the heck buys them? Doesn't make sense to me, but then again, I've seen quite a few things that don't make sense to me.
I guess wireless and wi-fi are somehow different, but if you can walk around with internet in your hand (phone), it all comes out the same to me; as long as my phone plan isn't charged for internet use I don't really care, lol.
My dad had his and my moms PC's wired together like that in one home office.
I wouldn't do it though. But it's possible. It doesn't relate to this case. MOO.

My dad had his and my moms PC's wired together like that in one home office.
I wouldn't do it though. But it's possible. It doesn't relate to this case. MOO.

In most cases, the computers aren't wired "together"; they're each wired to the router, and the router is wired to the modem, which is wired to the internet source - cable, satellite, dsl. If they're wired directly to each other, there's really no need for a router. It can be a pain keeping cables/wires out of the way if your computers aren't in the same room, but it's not that difficult. In fact, the network we set up at the local college wasn't wireless. Each workstation (40 computers) was connected to the network (with cables) and had another jack to connect a laptop.

Back in the stone age, we had a desktop that was hard wired to the router. The router was not wireless. When I got my first laptop, it was wireless but my router wasn't so to use it, I had to hard wire it from the router to my laptop. I finally got a wireless router but it was in the infant stages and didn't work all the time, so sometimes even after I had a wireless router I would have to hard wire it.

Right now my mother has a desktop and a laptop. She has to hardwire her laptop to use it. I bought her a wireless router and am going to install it so that she has wireless up there for any of us who bring our laptops and for our smartphones so we are not drawing off our data plans and racking up outrageous charges. She will still be hard wired to the desktop but will be able to use her laptop wirelessly. Desktops need a wireless card in order to run off a wireless router. Hubby's didn't have one, my mother's doesn't have one. But their laptops do.

jumping off your post if a text was sent using an ipod touch then there would have to be wireless internet available wouldn't there?

Yes in order to send a text from an iPod touch you need wifi. An iPod touch is basically an iPhone without the data.

Are you saying he has dial up service if he wants the internet for his 2 computers?

I'm not sure if I understand your point.

If your saying that anything Mark does for Dylan that is good or positive is only because Mark wants to control Dylan and keep him close then how could Mark ever do anything good or positive for Dylan?

It would automatically be perceived to be controlling or selfish right?. Sounds like a no win situation to me. MOO.

I originally ssaid that if he did have wifi, that he would have left Dylan the password.

Then you said " mark's not a nice man, why would he fdo that?

my reply, was that he probably wanted to keep Dylan around the house during the visit.

So how is it that now you say that I don't think MR ever did anything nice? It was your post that said he was not a nice man, right?

ETA:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANCH
BBM

Mark is not a very nice man, so why would he do that?

We have 3 desktop computers in my house, one in the family room, one in the office, and one in a bedroom. They are all hard wired to the router. The wires are run through the walls into the attic, and then come down the walls to connect to the router which is in the family room. No one can see any excessive wires, or trip over them. When I got a laptop five years ago, we changed our router to one that also has wireless. But the desktops are all still hardwired.

That said, with the availability of smart phones, laptops, tablets, etc. I think more and more people do have wireless now, and I suspect that Mark would, since we know he has a laptop and a phone. It is so much more convenient. MOO, of course.

Don't know if this has been shared or not.......Found Safe after 9 months !

''Brandy Turner has been looking for Luke since her husband, Monty Turner, took the boy and left town with him on July 2, according to police.''

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_2...nt-3-year-old-boy-returned-home#ixzz2OQVUKxuv

A reason to never give up :)

I see this is on FMDR as well as STL fb pages now ! It's a big deal and means you never assume the worst.
Against all odds sometimes they come home.

No.. I'm saying that if it doesn't appear to be any foul play, they won't tape it off and call it a crime scene, if there was no appearance of a crime there.

They can't collect evidence for tests without a search warrant. No judge is going to sign a SW unless there is some indication that one is needed, and it has to be pretty specific what they're looking for. IOW, they would have to tell the judge that they found some drops of blood, or there were signs of a struggle, or some other signs that something out of the ordinary happened.

Since Mark gave them permission to search the first time, they probably allowed him to stay inside while they were looking around. If there had been any evidence to collect, they would have asked for the SW right then, because otherwise a defense attorney would have had it thrown out. Not much gets admitted into evidence without that SW.

I'm not sure why they waited so long to get the SW to do the full search, maybe the DA was just reluctant to go to the judge without a valid reason. Could be also that Mark himself gave them a reason to do the search. IDK.
But most LE do everything by the book, and collecting evidence without that SW is a big No-No.

From the NCMEC Investigative Checklist for First Responders:
http://missingkids.com/en_US/publications/NC88.pdf
Obtain and note permission to search home or building where incident took place even if the premises have been previously searched by family members or others.
[] Conduct an immediate, thorough search of the missing child’s home even if the child was reported missing from a different location.
[] Seal/protect scene and area of the child’s home, including the child’s personal articles such as hairbrush, diary, photos, and items with the child’s fingerprints/footprints/teeth impressions, so evidence is not destroyed during or after the initial search and to help ensure items that could help in the search for and/or to identify the child are preserved. Determine if any of the child’s personal items are missing. If possible, photograph/take videos of these areas.
[] Evaluate the contents and appearance of the child’s room/residence
.[] Ascertain if the child has a cell phone or other electronic communication device and obtain the most recent records of their use.
[] Extend search to surrounding areas and vehicles, including those that are abandoned, and other places of concealment such as abandoned appliances, pools, wells, sheds, or other areas considered “attractive nuisances.”
[] Treat areas of interest as potential crime scenes including all areas where the child may have been or was going to be located.

Interestingly, the bold is bolded in the checklist itself, not BBM, so that must be a sensitive area in investigation. MMO.

[] Conduct an immediate, thorough search of the missing child’s home even if the child was reported missing from a different location.

By LE's own admission they failed to do this. They did a quick cursory search to see if maybe Dylan left something behind. They didn't do a thorough search for 10 days :(

I think they got to this point:
Make an initial assessment, based on the available information, of the type of incident whether nonfamily abduction; family abduction; runaway; or lost, injured, or otherwise missing.

And stopped using a missing child approach, at least for a couple of days. IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne