CO- Dylan Redwine, 13, Vallecito, 19 November 2012 - #48

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
<snip>
Quoting myself just to bring this forward since there still seem to be some questions regarding this. According to this 2010 article I found it seems their staff of deputies is not large enough to have someone on duty all the time. At the time of this 2010 article it appears they had 4 deputies and a look at the current deputy list shows they are now down to 3.

I'm thinking the website may be more accurate, but I could be wrong about that.

I have lived and worked in many rural communities. They all have their own jurisdictions, usually city/county, but if they are small, the small "city" offices often have regular working/office hours and once the office is closed, there is a number to call for non-emergency and of course, 911 for emergency. The calls are routed after-hours to central dispatch and radioed to the officer nearest the scene. Even in CPS, we are on-call 27/7 and our calls are dispatched to us directly at home via pager or cell. We are allowed 30 min to respond to the scene. Central dispatch usually routes ambulance, fire, EMT, CPS and LE.
IMO, if MR contacted anyone after hours, it would likely have been a phone call and an officer would have been dispatched. There would be a record, both by LE and dispatch.
Other than the technical debate, it really doesn't matter much in terms of finding Dylan. Mark did whatever he did, but fortunately, Elaine had the sense to report her child missing and got the ball rolling.

Thanks for your viewpoint on this from an "inside". I really appreciate that! That how I envision the system working with BMO and LPCSO.

KT reporting again!
http://www.9news.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=2285058579001&odyssey=mod

At 2:15 - The task force was just out snowshoeing at some cabins near Bayfield - that's good to hear. But not near the lake?. I am really curious about LE and what they think of the lake.
This is interesting and worth noting again. Perhaps they think there is some kind of evidence, or even something there.

Interesting that it says that the dogs in January picked up no scent. MOO
Maybe the decomp was slowed down too far during January due to the temperature at the bottom, and nothing was there for the dogs to smell in January. They could again hit on something in February when the decomp may start again. I don't know what the temp is like at the deepest part of the Lake.

And during that footage, DH says again that he went missing at the lake ...
http://www.9news.com/video/2285058579001/1/Renewed-search-for-missing-teen-Dylan-Redwine
I think she might be talking about the lake in general, or perhaps it's something she says to keep herself from believing MR - who used to be her friend, too - would do something like this... It's got to be hard, so that would be a possibility, imo.
IMO it sounds like local speak, Dylan went missing from the Vallecito Lake area, not from Bayfield or Durango etc
I agree.

I’ve been following this story for a while. No idea how I heard about it. Probably from yahoo or a similar news site.

I have my opinions on what may have happened to Dylan. Though, I don’t think it’s necessary to fan the flames. Already enough of that in the media.
Suffice to say I don’t believe Dylan is with us anymore and I can only hope, with spring approaching, his loved ones can finally get the answers and put this nightmare behind them and find a way to honor Dylan’s memory.

< RESPECTFULLY SNIPPED for space>

All I can do is hope that I’m wrong about what I think has happened to Dylan and that he comes home.

By the way I had no idea how many people go missing every year. Reading some of the threads is extremely upsetting.

:welcome6:
It is quite sad reading some of the threads here, but hopefully we can help in some cases. And it seems some touch us in a special way. At least that's how it is for me.

IIRC it was February when they went back to the lake and that the dogs hit on the same spots as the dogs did in November.

You're right! I was going back through the news articles, and it was the weekend of Feb 23/24 they cut the holes in the ice on the lake.

Why is he talking about January and not February? I'm pretty sure the previous visit by Wendy and her dogs was in December, not January, but I have to look it up to confirm it.

There are news articles for the Feb ice cutting timeframe though that say they didn't find anything (e.g. CBS Denver, 9News). Weird.

ETA It was December. Here's one of Wendy's facebook posts about it
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=441953229193967&id=249798878409404

Maybe they have brought out a dog or two every month and haven't reported them all?
It is possible as I state above in this message that January may have been too cold to get a scent. or maybe they checked a different spot/area? Just thinking...

All of my comments are MOO! :cow:
Sorry to make this so long. Wanted to give my :twocents: on a couple posts.

I agree with everything you said Redhead and when DH first mentioned him going missing at the lake I thought it was just local talk too, but when I watched the video I get the feeling it's more than that. She is specifically talking about THE LAKE in the video. I don't know if she knows something we don't or she is saying that because she also says in the video that MR kept saying that Dylan went fishing and his favorite spot was the dam. I almost got the feeling she is saying that because MR is so insistent that Dylan went there. I could be wrong but I no longer believe she is using the 'the lake' as a local term for the Vallecito area.

I'm sorry for being dumb, but when ya'll talk about Mr arriving at the MO, finding it closed and calling a number--would this number go through the "sheriff's office" when you say LPSCO or whatever initials it is--does that mean the Sheriff's? Because MR says in his MB interview "apparently the sheriff had no idea". I know you have all done so much hard work unpacking jurisdictions and after-hour procedures etc. But I was still wondering.

Also, I'm not sure the term "the lake" is just local speak. I left a comment under that post asking for clarification and it got deleted. I just asked "You say Dylan went missing from the lake. Does that mean vallecito in general or is there new evidence?" Pfffft gone.
Then I asked some other folks directly through pm and got no answer. It seems weird to me. JMO!

I'm sorry for being dumb, but when ya'll talk about Mr arriving at the MO, finding it closed and calling a number--would this number go through the "sheriff's office" when you say LPSCO or whatever initials it is--does that mean the Sheriff's? Because MR says in his MB interview "apparently the sheriff had no idea". I know you have all done so much hard work unpacking jurisdictions and after-hour procedures etc. But I was still wondering.

Also, I'm not sure the term "the lake" is just local speak. I left a comment under that post asking for clarification and it got deleted. I just asked "You say Dylan went missing from the lake. Does that mean vallecito in general or is there new evidence?" Pfffft gone.
Then I asked some other folks directly through pm and got no answer. It seems weird to me. JMO!

The number listed on the Marshall's office website for the 24 hour dispatch is also used by other agencies, e.g., Durango Police Department, Animal Control, so I think the towns/agencies in the area, because they are small, and probably have relatively few calls, have pooled financial resources to have one dispatch center that takes the non-emergency calls, and routes them to the correct agency.

Agencies above with same # can be found here http://www.durango.org/durango-area/durango-emergency-numbers.aspx

Same # to use for Durango Public Safety http://durango.gopickle.com/listings/8716697-Durango-Public-Safety-Dept

Same # to use for water leaks in Durango http://www.publicstuff.com/co/durango-co/water-leak-if-after-hours-emergency-call-970

Same # La Plata County Assessor http://www.salespider.com/bn-45616762/1-970-385-2900

Same # Bayfield Town Government http://www.yellowpagesgoesgreen.org/Durango-CO/Bayfield+Town+Government/238635

:twocents:

Also agree about DH's use of "the lake".

LPSCO is the Sheriff's office. The 911 dispatch system is through the Sheriff's office in Durango. So if Mark called 911 or dispatch he would have gotten the Sheriff's office. It's possible that he called the direct line for dispatch and they contacted the on call or on duty Bayfield Deputy. I don't know if they keep records for all calls made directly to the dispatch phone number like they do the 911 calls? They are one and the same. I used to work for our local ambulance company and had to call dispatch often. Dispatch is the 911 operators, I would just call the direct line rather than 911 to talk to them. I don't know if the BMO has a number to call a deputy directly on their building but I highly doubt it. They don't give out those numbers. If nobody was there he most likely would have had to go through the Sheriff's office to get a hold of someone.

So then am I right to assume that MR did not call anyone, because it wouldn't make any sense then for the sheriff's office to say they had no idea MR was at the MO, if a call had gone through dispatch, right?

So, he was at the MO and it was closed and he didn't call anyone to come out to chat--because wouldn't there be a record of that? Maybe he just called an after hours line and left a message. JMO

LPSCO is the Sheriff's office. The 911 dispatch system is through the Sheriff's office in Durango. So if Mark called 911 or dispatch he would have gotten the Sheriff's office. It's possible that he called the direct line for dispatch and they contacted the on call or on duty Bayfield Deputy. I don't know if they keep records for all calls made directly to the dispatch phone number like they do the 911 calls? They are one and the same. I used to work for our local ambulance company and had to call dispatch often. Dispatch is the 911 operators, I would just call the direct line rather than 911 to talk to them. I don't know if the BMO has a number to call a deputy directly on their building but I highly doubt it. They don't give out those numbers. If nobody was there he most likely would have had to go through the Sheriff's office to get a hold of someone.

I don't think calls go to the Sheriff's office. I think they go to a dispatch center, called Durango / La Plata Emergency Communications Center. I think the dispatch center takes calls for a number of different agencies in La Plata County including the Bayfield Marshall's Office and the La Plata Sheriff's Office.

As I posted above, I think it's a financial thing, a pooling of $$$ resources to share one dispatch center. Saves on personnel and equipment costs.

From the website for the Durango/La Plata Emergency Communications Center website -

The Durango / La Plata Emergency Communications Center dispatches for the following agencies:
Animal Protection
Bayfield Marshall
Durango Fire and Rescue Authority
Durango Police Department
Fort Lewis College Police
Fort Lewis Mesa Fire Protection District
La Plata County Sheriff
Upper Pine River Fire Protection District

Other service agencies the center notifies:
Alternative Horizons
Bomb Expert Team
Coroner
Critical Incident Stress Debriefing Team
Detox
Disaster Emergency Services
Durango / La Plata County Airport
Hilltop House
La Plata County Road and Bridge
Mounted Rangers
Probation
Public Works / Streets and Plows
Rape Crisis Team
Search and Rescue
Southwest Mental Health
Swat Team, Sheriff's Office
Tactical Team, Police Department
Towing Services
Victim Services
Youth Services

http://www.durangogov.org/index.aspx?nid=217

So then am I right to assume that MR did not call anyone, because it wouldn't make any sense then for the sheriff's office to say they had no idea MR was at the MO, if a call had gone through dispatch, right?

So, he was at the MO and it was closed and he didn't call anyone to come out to chat--because wouldn't there be a record of that? Maybe he just called an after hours line and left a message. JMO

If he called 911 there would most definitely be a record. If he called dispatch directly and they dispatched a deputy to him (either BMO or LPCSO) there would be a record. If he called a number at the BMO and left a recorded message than BMO would have that message. It's still possible he met up with a deputy that was at the office after hours.

Based on MR's statement regarding this I don't know if he talked to someone in person or called someone. It's hard to say, and who knows what the truth is. Well LE does know...that I am sure of.

I don't think the sheriff's office would know if someone called in Bayfield for the Bayfield Marshall's office. I think the calls go to the dispatch center above, which is basically just somebody answering the phone, and routing the calls to the proper agency.

More from the website for the Durango / La Plata Emergency Communications Center

The Durango / La Plata Emergency Communications Center provides 24-hour service to the public and user agencies by receiving and relaying information and coordinating communications between agencies by radio, telephone, and computer for both emergency and non-emergency situations.

When a 9-1-1 call comes into the center, with its distinctive ring, everyone is made aware that someone is calling for immediate help. This call for help may be the only call that can literally save a life and may also involve four or five different agencies that need immediate dispatching.

http://www.durangogov.org/index.aspx?nid=217

I can't say specifically how they do things there, but here dispatch IS the 911 call center. It is one and the same and they dispatch for fire, ambulance, sheriff and city police for the entire county. That's how it's done here.

I can't say specifically how they do things there, but here dispatch IS the 911 call center. It is one and the same and they dispatch for fire, ambulance, sheriff and city police for the entire county. That's how it's done here.

That's how it looks to me they do it in Bayfield/Durango/La Plata. So if I'm working dispatch, and you call me because you have a kitchen fire in Bayfield, I send you the appropriate fire company, but I don't notify the La Plata Sheriff (or Animal Control etc). I just dispatch the agency for your need in your area. There's no need for me to notify any other agency.

I do imagine they record all the calls though and have a record if they're needed later. At least the 911 emergency calls.

That's how it looks to me they do it in Bayfield/Durango/La Plata. So if I'm working dispatch, and you call me because you have a kitchen fire in Bayfield, I send you the appropriate fire company, but I don't notify the La Plata Sheriff (or Animal Control etc). I just dispatch the agency for your need in your area. There's no need for me to notify any other agency.

I do imagine they record all the calls though and have a record if they're needed later. At least the 911 emergency calls.

Exactly. They dispatch the appropriate first responders for what ever you need. All 911 calls are recorded. I'm unsure if calls directly to the dispatch number are but if they send anyone out they generate a call report. At the ambulance company I worked for, every day I would get a printout of each call record for the previous day from dispatch. I did billing and would match each call record up to a report written by the paramedic to make sure nothing was missed.

I used to have to call dispatch all the time to set up non emergency ambulance transports for hospital to hospital transports etc. But I talked directly to the 911 operators and often times they would tell me to hold and lay the phone down and dispatch a call.

When you're in the business you call the 911 call center 'dispatch' or 'control 1'.

Exactly. They dispatch the appropriate first responders for what ever you need. All 911 calls are recorded. I'm unsure if calls directly to the dispatch number are but if they send anyone out they generate a call report. At the ambulance company I worked for, every day I would get a printout of each call record for the previous day from dispatch. I did billing and would match each call record up to a report written by the paramedic to make sure nothing was missed.

I used to have to call dispatch all the time to set up non emergency ambulance transports for hospital to hospital transports etc. But I talked directly to the 911 operators and often times they would tell me to hold and lay the phone down and dispatch a call.

When you're in the business you call the 911 call center 'dispatch' or 'control 1'.

Yep we're thinking pretty much the same. In that Durango/La Plata call center, it says they get both the emergency and non-emergency calls, and if it's a 911 call, their phones have a different ring so the dispatchers know it's an emergency.

So if he did call, whether he hit 911 or dialed the 24 hr dispatch, it would have gone to the same call center. So my question would be whether all calls are recorded. Maybe they don't audio record the non-emergencies, but I would think they have to log them, either on paper or in a computer. I guess it depends on how much $$$ they have to keep up with the available techology today.

I'm positive that if anyone was sent or contacted (like BMO) the computer would generate a call report. Even when I would call to set up a non emergency ambulance transport it would generate a call report.

Only thing I can assure everyone about dispatch calls, logs, incoming and outgoing, or any personnel sent to scene, there is a RECORD. There is always a record. No matter how insignificant the call, there will be a record. One thing I can assure you, the government loves, loves, loves, paperwork! Not a doubt!

April Blizzard right now, ground AND air.
(Final snow? I thought that would've already been...)
Feels colder, more bitter than its been all Winter.
Miraculously, it will be suddenly be Spring.

If Dylan had his fishing pole with him on Monday, why didn&#8217;t Mark give this information to LE when he contacted them in the afternoon?

Why didn&#8217;t anyone contact the hospital?

That part of the story has never been released (other than Mark's statement).

I also wonder if they have tape from inside Walmart. That's the one I'd like to see.

Same here for some reason I think that tape might be very telling.
See I think if all was hunky dorey they would show a happy Mark and Dylan strolling thru Walmart grabbing snacks and movies to watch. From dylans look on his face things were not all that rosey! JMO

And I know I know what kid is happy at Walmart Hes with his dad that he has not seen in a while they are going shopping I think his demeanor would be a tad different....Thats JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx