CO- Dylan Redwine, 13, Vallecito, 19 November 2012 - #50

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If MR called Dylan's phone while he was running his errands, then clearly he knew nothing about a broken phone.

And why call, anyway? If he was going to be home when he said he would, why the need to try to call Dylan?

Just all sounds very unlikely to me.

I think this is a very good point. And what would happen if he tried to call Dylan? If Dylan's phone was broken or out of juice, wouldn't it go straight to voice mail without hardly even ringing? Wouldn't the person making the call then wonder why the call is not going through? When I get that response I figure the receiver's phone is not charged or
they have it turned off. So if that's the case, wouldn't Mark begin to wonder if Dylan is okay and at the very least try calling him on the land line?

Since it was a re-run, I think they came to see if the case had been solved. Sadly, nothing much has changed since the show was taped. Still no news. :cry:

I think this is a very good point. And what would happen if he tried to call Dylan? If Dylan's phone was broken or out of juice, wouldn't it go straight to voice mail without hardly even ringing? Wouldn't the person making the call then wonder why the call is not going through? When I get that response I figure the receiver's phone is not charged or
they have it turned off. So if that's the case, wouldn't Mark begin to wonder if Dylan is okay and at the very least try calling him on the land line?

That is so true. If I call my DD and her phone goes right to voice mail it concerns me because she never turns her phone off. That should have been a clue.

Mark says he texted Dylan that morning though.

extension of thought... without any answer or reply, I would think this would raise some concern (like once I get home I'll see that he's okay) . But then he gets home and Dylan and all/most of his belongings are nowhere to be found? At this point, I need to start looking for my child!

Since it was a re-run, I think they came to see if the case had been solved. Sadly, nothing much has changed since the show was taped. Still no news. :cry:

it wasn't a re run in Australia, there's quite a delay between when shows air over there compared to here.

it wasn't a re run in Australia, there's quite a delay between when shows air over there compared to here.

Oh right. I shouldn't have said rerun. What I meant was that it had been awhile since the show taped. And still nothing...:frown:

What could he 'need' from one town as opposed to another? That makes no sense, imo.

I'm not seeing any large grocery stores in Bayfield. There's a Safeway in Aztec, Smith's in Farmington, City Market (Kroger) in Durango and Pagosa Springs, Walmart is in Durango, but only some small mercantiles in Bayfield. And pricing could play a part as well - I imagine Walmart in Durango is probably cheapest in the region.

http://www.yellowpages.com/bayfield-co/grocery-stores?g=Bayfield,+CO&q=Grocery+Stores

Maybe someone who's been there could verify this.

extension of thought... without any answer or reply, I would think this would raise some concern (like once I get home I'll see that he's okay) . But then he gets home and Dylan and all/most of his belongings are nowhere to be found? At this point, I need to start looking for my child!

I totally agree. Because my sons are not allowed to ignore calls and texts from either parent, so if either didn't respond my internal alarm would have been ringing like crazy. I can't understand him taking a nap before he knew where his son was.

The only person that knows where Dylan is............Is his father!

All JMO

I totally agree. Because my sons are not allowed to ignore calls and texts from either parent, so if either didn't respond my internal alarm would have been ringing like crazy. I can't understand him taking a nap before he knew where his son was.

Exactly! Parents expect an instant response to their calls or texts. God forbid they don't answer. I give my kids 20 mins to respond then I start calling friends and their parents. My sons friends parents do the same. There is only one reason they wouldn't answer. They cant!

If the phone died they use a friends phone to let me know hey mom my phone died im at so and so's.

He says he took a nap because he cant account for his time and he was tired from the night before. I think whatever happened to Dylan happened sunday night when cell activity stopped.

JMO

Exactly! Parents expect an instant response to their calls or texts. God forbid they don't answer. I give my kids 20 mins to respond then I start calling friends and their parents. My sons friends parents do the same. There is only one reason they wouldn't answer. They cant!

If the phone died they use a friends phone to let me know hey mom my phone died im at so and so's.

He says he took a nap because he cant account for his time and he was tired from the night before. I think whatever happened to Dylan happened sunday night when cell activity stopped.

JMO
They way things work in other peoples families is not relevant to this case. It appears that Dylan didn't always respond to Elaine's texts in a timely fashion and she seemed to be ok with it.
Elaine Redwine:
I texted him. I texted him Sunday night, and I texted him Monday morning,
but, you know…it wasn’t uncharacteristic of Dylan not to text me back right away especially if he was with his friends which is what I kind of assumed… umm…you know, had happened because I know he was really excited to see his friends, umm… so I really didn’t think much of it umm…. and then…that afternoon I got a text from his dad asking me if I knew where Dylan was.
BBM

She hadn't heard back from him since Sunday night and she didn't try to find out why. So it appears to me that Dylan sometimes ignored text messages and his family was used to that happening.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8808034&postcount=77"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Dylan Redwine *Media , Maps & Timelines*[/ame]

They way things work in other peoples families is not relevant to this case. It appears that Dylan didn't always respond to Elaine's texts in a timely fashion and she seemed to be ok with it.

BBM

She hadn't heard back from him since Sunday night and she didn't try to find out why. So it appears to me that Dylan sometimes ignored text messages and his family was used to that happening.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Dylan Redwine *Media , Maps & Timelines*

I agree, Ranch. I think there's no evidence to show that lack of communication from Dylan meant anything other than Dylan wasn't communicating. It's unfortunate that no one's internal alarms went off sooner.

I keep in contact with my kids when they are out and about with friends. I don't worry about them when they are with family.... If they are with the family or dad and I call and they don't answer I figure they are ok and DAD WOULD CALL ME IF SOMETHING WAS WRONG! Elaine wasn't the one on duty that night it was one day! then she got the HORRIBLE news from MR I lost Dylan!

I agree, Ranch. I think there's no evidence to show that lack of communication from Dylan meant anything other than Dylan wasn't communicating. It's unfortunate that no one's internal alarms went off sooner.

No one heard from this child since 9 27 pm sunday that is a huge RED flag.
His friends didn't hear from him!

I bet if you went back and looked at his cell phone bill u would see that is very abnormal.

Kids are on the phone a lot and 9 30 is very early ......

All JMO

No one heard from this child since 9 27 pm sunday that is a huge RED flag.
His friends didn't hear from him!

I bet if you went back and looked at his cell phone bill u would see that is very abnormal.

Kids are on the phone a lot and 9 30 is very early ......

All JMO

And see, I don't think 9:30 is early at all, and I don't feel the last text from R that night required a response. I guess that's an agree to disagree there.

But NO ONE's alarm went off. Not the mom who didn't get responses to her texts. Not the grandmother of the boy he was supposed to be visiting at 6:30 in the morning. Not the dad who left his kid 20 miles from anywhere yet wasn't surprised that he wasn't waiting at the house or within yelling distance when he came home. And that's why it's possible to conclude that this is not unusual behavior for Dylan. That behavior being to NOT communicate to other people's expectations and to NOT always be where he said he'd be when he said he'd be there.

There's a coulda-woulda-shoulda feeling to this. It doesn't help find Dylan, but it does provide a message to other parents IMO, about reinforcing expectations about phone use.

What would help Dylan at this point? LE giving out positive indicators of where to search. In this radius from the house or in that direction. Or a full description of what's in the backpack, because that backpack could have disintegrated over the winter and items spread all over the place by animals or come bubbling up to float on the surface of the lake or washed ashore. A make/model of the cell phone in case it's found by the side of the road somewhere, turned in at a lost and found at a store or sold on Craigslist.

Granted they don't have manpower to comb through all the area but they could give some information out to help with organized searches and to alert people visiting the area.

And see, I don't think 9:30 is early at all, and I don't feel the last text from R that night required a response. I guess that's an agree to disagree there.

But NO ONE's alarm went off. Not the mom who didn't get responses to her texts. Not the grandmother of the boy he was supposed to be visiting at 6:30 in the morning. Not the dad who left his kid 20 miles from anywhere yet wasn't surprised that he wasn't waiting at the house or within yelling distance when he came home. And that's why it's possible to conclude that this is not unusual behavior for Dylan. That behavior being to NOT communicate to other people's expectations and to NOT always be where he said he'd be when he said he'd be there.

There's a coulda-woulda-shoulda feeling to this. It doesn't help find Dylan, but it does provide a message to other parents IMO, about reinforcing expectations about phone use.

What would help Dylan at this point? LE giving out positive indicators of where to search. In this radius from the house or in that direction. Or a full description of what's in the backpack, because that backpack could have disintegrated over the winter and items spread all over the place by animals or come bubbling up to float on the surface of the lake or washed ashore. A make/model of the cell phone in case it's found by the side of the road somewhere, turned in at a lost and found at a store or sold on Craigslist.

Granted they don't have manpower to comb through all the area but they could give some information out to help with organized searches and to alert people visiting the area.

BBM: I disagree. R's alarm went off. He texted when Dylan was 15 minutes late. Then hours later to make sure Dylan knew where to find him. But R is a 13 year old boy and the blame for not sounding an alarm should not fall on his shoulders. I imagine his grandma did not know he was expecting Dylan so early until much later. My point is that Dylan's friends thought it was odd of him not to have responded.

It was not a school night hes a teen 9 30 is not late and im sure if you look (if u have kids) You might be surprised how late they send text messages back and forth. Or how lat they play video games. MR says Dylan was up when he went to upstairs to bed soooooooooo Dylan would still be texting.

JMO

Depends on the phone settings, I think. If I call my hubby and he is away from the phone or can't answer, it will still ring several times and then go to voice mail. Even if the battery is low and needs to be recharged. The only time it goes straight to voice mail is if it is turned off.

I'm not seeing any large grocery stores in Bayfield. There's a Safeway in Aztec, Smith's in Farmington, City Market (Kroger) in Durango and Pagosa Springs, Walmart is in Durango, but only some small mercantiles in Bayfield. And pricing could play a part as well - I imagine Walmart in Durango is probably cheapest in the region.

http://www.yellowpages.com/bayfield-co/grocery-stores?g=Bayfield,+CO&q=Grocery+Stores

Maybe someone who's been there could verify this.

Dylan had been to the Walmart with Mark on Sunday night. Monday morning he was waiting for his ride to Bayfield, to spend the day, and possibly the night, with his friends. So I doubt he had a need for anything from a large market at 11:30 on Monday. He was ready to go see his friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaneDoeCR1990