CO- Dylan Redwine, 13, Vallecito, 19 November 2012 - #52

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It appears that kayaking is VERY popular on Vallecito Creek. And the trail itself is very popular with day-hikers as well as folks leaving on longer 4-5 day trips.

Parking for the Vallecito Creek Trail, a major access point for the Weminuche Wilderness (no mountain bikes or motorized vehicles allowed), is at the campground entrance.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/sanjuan/recreation/wintersports/recarea/?recid=43288&actid=29

The put-in spot is up a well-traveled hiking path 1.5 miles up the trail. https://www.riversports.com/site/vallecito_beta

This video shows just how much water is running in that creek. This was a May video though, so water levels would be much higher than they are in November (due to run-off). [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8wxdgJxFcg"]Vallecito Creek Quick Edit - YouTube[/ame]

So the kayakers have already been in that creek this spring. (The video is dated May 2013) Hikers have already been out on the trail: http://hikingswcolorado.blogspot.com/2013/05/vallecito-creek-trail.html
The Trail: The Vallecito Creek Trail starts out nice and level as it meanders around the borders of the Vallecito Campground, with lots of rock formations for the kiddos to climb on, which my kids took full advantage of on multiple occasions. Once it gets around the campground, the trail approaches Vallecito Creek, which you can easily see and access from the east side of the campground.

The trail then heads north, first crossing Falls Creek over a nice bridge, and enters into the Weminuche Wilderness Area. Prior to crossing the Falls Creek bridge, there is a place to register. While it is currently optional to register, if you are heading for a long hike into the Weminuche, you should definitely register as it aids in rescue efforts. In 2014, the Forest Service will make registering to enter the Weminuche mandatory.

Wow. The searchers really have their work cut out for them :( ETA: a lot of foot bridges on that trail too, crossing the creek.

I don't believe everything he says, nor do I believe everything ER says. It's hard for me to explain my process but I take them in, but I weigh them with their actions, and other words. Like how I explained the earlier statement. Or like I mentioned too, independent verification, from someone outside the familial circle. Like when MR said in that MB interview Dylan never met a stranger, and MB saying, "That's funny because R said the same thing." I would like to hear how Dylan's friends would describe Dylan's relationship with each parent.

Right, I don't believe everybody all the time either. But as part of my process, I've tried different ways of looking at the information we have. One way is to say, Everyone is telling the truth. Ok, where does that take me.

I believe that knowing what belongings (backpack contents, clothing, etc) were with him is very important because they'll last the elements for a while. Could also be scattered by animals so even if the body is hard to find, something like a backpack could still turn up. So I hope there are plenty of signs posted for hikers/recreational people so they know what to keep an eye out for. I wonder if there are posters at the campgrounds, cabins, marina and the RV park?

I also think that heading up Vallecito Creek makes a ton of sense. It seems that it is more difficult to find bodies in creeks/rivers than I thought - based on some of the recent cases discussed in WS. Plus would that help explain hits on the lake? If the scent (or perhaps some small samples of remains) were brought down from higher upstream?

This is another area that I hope was discussed with the friends, especially T - are there any areas upcreek that Dylan would have gone fishing? or was that only at the lake?

Oh and the mines too - maybe there's one or two well-known locations that should be, and could easily be, checked?

Good thinking. Now let's tie this back to MR. What were his outdoor activities? Where did he go? What were his favorite hideaways? His friends must know this. Was he a hunter? A cabin or cave? Where did he supposedly go the morning Dylan disappeared? Were any of these activities verified? I just keep thinking of the Kyron Horman case where the stepmother was the last person to see him and was also out running errands when the boy disappeared. Sorry folks, I don't buy it.

I believe that knowing what belongings (backpack contents, clothing, etc) were with him is very important because they'll last the elements for a while. Could also be scattered by animals so even if the body is hard to find, something like a backpack could still turn up. So I hope there are plenty of signs posted for hikers/recreational people so they know what to keep an eye out for. I wonder if there are posters at the campgrounds, cabins, marina and the RV park?

I also think that heading up Vallecito Creek makes a ton of sense. It seems that it is more difficult to find bodies in creeks/rivers than I thought - based on some of the recent cases discussed in WS. Plus would that help explain hits on the lake? If the scent (or perhaps some small samples of remains) were brought down from higher upstream?

This is another area that I hope was discussed with the friends, especially T - are there any areas upcreek that Dylan would have gone fishing? or was that only at the lake?

Oh and the mines too - maybe there's one or two well-known locations that should be, and could easily be, checked?
BBM: I agree. If there were any electronics in that bag, they aren't going to decompose any time soon.

I find myself in a similar situation, though for different reasons. I believe that there is still a lot to be discussed, that we have a great deal of information, but the tenor of the conversation makes it extremely difficult. We have lost a number of really excellent posters from this thread, and I will personally be sad to see you leave, if you decide to do so.

I agree that Dylan's silence speaks volumes, and no reasonable explanation (IMO) has been offered as of yet to account for it.

I am feeling so sad for Dylan this morning. So sad.

Thank you for all of your great posts.

It is better if I stop posting, IMO, as I do not really believe that Dylan is alive, and that is not helpful to anyone. Sometimes, there just is not any physical proof that someone is gone, yet just as I feel Stacy Peterson, Haleigh Cummings and many others are deceased, I have the same feeling about poor Dylan.
Thank you.

I was just researching ski areas near Bayfield/Durango and Durango Mountain Resort reports 191 inches for the season, but not how much is remaining. The pass elevation there is over 10,000 feet so I would imagine there is still snow on slopes that are protected.

I drove around Mt. Hood a couple weekends ago and I was surprised how much snow was still on the ground, even alongside the highway in places.

The NRCS SNOTEL site at around 10,500 feet reports around 3 - 6 inches on Nov 18, 2012.

BBM::winner: I can't tell you how many places I have been that forget that outdoor people are some of the best unintentional searchers. A lot of us pick up trash blowing around and pack it out. I often see a destroyed cell phone someone has left by the side of a trail, or a jacket that was left behind. I take a picture, mark it with my GPS and report it if I know someone is missing in the area. Otherwise, I will pick it up and trash the trash or leave the item at the parking area (some poor schnook lost their keys on a trail once and I ran into them at their car. Talk about grateful...)

Just about a month ago it was a hiker that found that car and the man's remains up there, too... That guy who had been missing for 30 years, and was sitting in his car since it went off the road...

I would hope that those in the area would have thought to make sure flyers are up in the outfitter's stores and such. Perhaps someone there could talk to the owners, and print off copies to give each person with their rental agreements and such. That way they'd all have a picture on their person to compare items they might come across?

[Maybe that's something MR could help with - making the copies and keeping the outfitters, and boating places supplied through the summer? Surely there is a local printer or something that might help MR with the costs of doing such or something?]

I doubt there was snow on the ground at Mark's elevation - I don't recall seeing any snow in the pictures and video shown in the media. Up in the passes, or on the slopes there are places at that elevation where the snow never completely melts.

IIRC, the first real snowfall in Vallecito/Durango was a day or two after Dylan disappeared. I remember them mentioning that evidence could be obscured by the snow that came in.

ETA: There could have been snowfall up in the passes that day that didn't fall on the lower elevations, too. If it's snowpack it would likely indicate the inch total as "base" at the ski resorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by margarita25
Bluesky.

I believe there might have been an argument about the football thing.

BBM - I'm not answering for Margarita25, but how do you provide a link for a belief? Curious.

Actually, I posted this for Margarita. Of course, anyone could answer it that may have an answer. <modsnip>.

Most people base their belief or opinion on "something." I had not heard anything about an argument about a football, so I was wondering if there is information available somewhere about this.

It is better if I stop posting, IMO, as I do not really believe that Dylan is alive, and that is not helpful to anyone. Sometimes, there just is not any physical proof that someone is gone, yet just as I feel Stacy Peterson, Haleigh Cummings and many others are deceased, I have the same feeling about poor Dylan.
Thank you.

I will miss your insight on this case. I know you didn't post a lot, but your posts were always spot-on, IMHO. I understand your backing away though. It's hard to feel like you're being judged for not thinking he's still with us... Unfortunately, I'm with you in that camp - unfortunate because I wish I could believe Dylan was still here, and could eventually come home safe and sound.
Take care cluciano, and thanks for your contributions.

Saying this as I am, I want to mention that there are different kinds of hope... Thinking that it is most likely Dylan has passed doesn't mean we don't have hope for answers, for finding him and bringing him home where he belongs instead of lost out in the world somewhere, hope for justice to be done when the facts are known (if justice truly needs to be meted out). Hope that through all of this we can learn something positive that will help prevent these types of things (whatever the story truthfully is) from happening in the future. [I'm just heading off accusations of not having hope right from the get-go here, just because I've seen it happen too often on these threads.]

As I'm writing this, something occurred to me -- we are all suggesting that searchers look for any evidence, or remains all over the wilderness... In the old mining camps, in the campgrounds, etc... Isn't even suggesting those places indicative of believing that he is no longer with us anyway? I mean he couldn't have survived in these places through the winter.

So, for those who believe in the possibility that Dylan could be hidden away somewhere and kept from escaping or communicating somehow - where do we look then? Is there any indication of anyone else that people think should be searched (or more apt, their homes be searched, etc...)? [I'm not saying that I think there isn't a slight possibility he might be alive, just that I doubt it's likely at this point. That's not giving up hope... jus' sayin'.]

As always ALL of the above is MOO! :cow:

I doubt there was snow on the ground at Mark's elevation - I don't recall seeing any snow in the pictures and video shown in the media. Up in the passes, or on the slopes there are places at that elevation where the snow never completely melts.

IIRC, the first real snowfall in Vallecito/Durango was a day or two after Dylan disappeared. I remember them mentioning that evidence could be obscured by the snow that came in.

ETA: There could have been snowfall up in the passes that day that didn't fall on the lower elevations, too. If it's snowpack it would likely indicate the inch total as "base" at the ski resorts.

Thanks! I had been looking at ski resorts to see if there would have been any snowboarding for Dylan and his friends to be meeting up so early that Monday morning.

I always wish for new info on DR, every day. But I am out of ideas about finding him....where to look, how to look, how he can be found so I won't be posting anymore on this site. Still wish for the best.

I still can't believe there is no new info on Dylan. Still have hope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will miss your insight on this case. I know you didn't post a lot, but your posts were always spot-on, IMHO. I understand your backing away though. It's hard to feel like you're being judged for not thinking he's still with us... Unfortunately, I'm with you in that camp - unfortunate because I wish I could believe Dylan was still here, and could eventually come home safe and sound.
Take care cluciano, and thanks for your contributions.

Saying this as I am, I want to mention that there are different kinds of hope... Thinking that it is most likely Dylan has passed doesn't mean we don't have hope for answers, for finding him and bringing him home where he belongs instead of lost out in the world somewhere, hope for justice to be done when the facts are known (if justice truly needs to be meted out). Hope that through all of this we can learn something positive that will help prevent these types of things (whatever the story truthfully is) from happening in the future. [I'm just heading off accusations of not having hope right from the get-go here, just because I've seen it happen too often on these threads.]

As I'm writing this, something occurred to me -- we are all suggesting that searchers look for any evidence, or remains all over the wilderness... In the old mining camps, in the campgrounds, etc... Isn't even suggesting those places indicative of believing that he is no longer with us anyway? I mean he couldn't have survived in these places through the winter.

So, for those who believe in the possibility that Dylan could be hidden away somewhere and kept from escaping or communicating somehow - where do we look then? Is there any indication of anyone else that people think should be searched (or more apt, their homes be searched, etc...)? [I'm not saying that I think there isn't a slight possibility he might be alive, just that I doubt it's likely at this point. That's not giving up hope... jus' sayin'.]

As always ALL of the above is MOO! :cow:

Totally agree with your post. I think it must be especially important to families of the missing to get them home, regardless of the circumstances. I think the not knowing must be worse in a way.

And BBM
I keep thinking about Elizabeth Smart and how she was hidden away in the woods for several months before she was moved to Southern California and eventually back to Utah. So that's my little glimmer of hope for Dylan today.

Backcountry users asked to keep eye out for signs of missing boy Dylan Redwine

Anyone hiking or four-wheeling this summer in the backcountry, especially around Vallecito Reservoir, is asked to keep an eye out for any signs of a boy who went missing last November.

snipped

If people find something that appears out of place, they should avoid disturbing the site and notify the La Plata County Sheriff’s Office, spokesman Dan Bender said Thursday.

“We’ve been doing searches on almost a weekly basis, particularly after the snow melted off, and we’ll continue to do that in the foreseeable future,” he said.

http://durangoherald.com/article/20130613/NEWS01/130619759/-1/s

I always wish for new info on DR, every day. But I am out of ideas about finding him....where to look, how to look, how he can be found so I won't be posting anymore on this site. Still wish for the best.

Please don't stop posting. You might say one word that someone keys off of that could be instrumental in resolving this case. You just never know. That is the miracle of this site! Our collective thoughts, ideas, and prayers are mighty powerful. Seek and ye shall find....amen!

Backcountry users asked to keep eye out for signs of missing boy Dylan Redwine

Anyone hiking or four-wheeling this summer in the backcountry, especially around Vallecito Reservoir, is asked to keep an eye out for any signs of a boy who went missing last November.

snipped

If people find something that appears out of place, they should avoid disturbing the site and notify the La Plata County Sheriff&#8217;s Office, spokesman Dan Bender said Thursday.

&#8220;We&#8217;ve been doing searches on almost a weekly basis, particularly after the snow melted off, and we&#8217;ll continue to do that in the foreseeable future,&#8221; he said.

http://durangoherald.com/article/20130613/NEWS01/130619759/-1/s

Sounds like they are going to continue to search the local area which I think is prudent until they can clear the area. I remember in the winter LE said something to the effect they were or had been even looking under bridges. Posted by a member yesterday there are footbridges in the area, so maybe these were the kind of bridges they were referring to. Very pleased to have that info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kat kruck