Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *Arrest* #50

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
She faces a first-degree murder charge for the death of her 11-year-old stepson Gannon Stauch and had additional hearings set for next week which have been pushed back to May 20.

The ruling came after Stauch complained to the judge that she was granted access to the law library at the jail only a few hours a week which is where she would need to go to access those documents electronically.

Investigators believe Gannon was killed in the afternoon on Jan. 27, 2020 and that Letecia Stauch moved his body through the house, into the garage, and loaded it into the back of her Volkswagen Tiguan.

She also had her 17-year-old daughter buy carpet cleaner, trash bags, baking soda and vinegar, according to the documents. Investigators theorized in the records that Letecia Stauch then cleaned up the evidence of the killing before calling 911 at 6:55 p.m. that evening to report that Gannon hadn’t returned home after heading out to play with friends.

Deputies responded to her call that he was missing about 3½ hours after she made it, and they took a report from Letecia and conducted what the documents describe as “a limited search of the residence.” At the time the officers were there, Letecia Stauch’s Tiguan was backed into the garage, according to the records.

Those documents indicate that Gannon’s body was in the car at the time – asserting that it wasn’t until the next evening that investigators believe Stauch dumped his body in the area of Colorado 105 and Perry Park Road. Blood found in the boy’s bedroom, in the garage, and on a piece of particle board found in the area of Highway 105 and Perry Park Road all matched the boy’s DNA, according to the affidavit.
Gannon Stauch case: More delays for Letecia Stauch | 9news.com
Very unfortunate that LE did not search her vehicle.

I'm thinking that in order for her to present her two item of proof that she is innocent then she has to take the stand. I surely hope that she does. I can see, in my mind, that she will object to the prosecutors' questioning of her. LOL
As stated previously, if she has any proof of her innocence, she wouldn’t be sitting in jail right now.
As far as presenting that evidence, I don’t know how that works. I’m sorry if this has been addressed and I missed it. Does she have to present that before the trial starts, to ensure it’s allowed? The prosecution has to present discovery, does the defense as well? According to my, sometimes flawed, logic it makes sense that they should. Sorry for my ignorance here.

Yes it is and in fact, I find it remarkable that they didn't.

There have been several times when missing children have shown up locked in the trunk of a car just as a result of misadventure.

I would have thought this would be one of the first places, LE would have searched quite frankly.

MOO

There have been several times when missing children have shown up locked in the trunk of a car just as a result of misadventure.

I would have thought this would be one of the first places, LE would have searched quite frankly.

MOO
My thoughts exactly. I can't understand why all the vehicles weren't checked as normal procedure in a missing child case.

Do we know for sure that her car was on site when police were first called? We know about texts with her daughter, directing her daughter to pull her car into the garage. We know Tecia jockeyed a lot of cars -- is it possible she, maybe with help, made sure her car wasn't there, knowing the cops would be? We always wondered if the driveway clip with THE clip? Might there be footage of her leaving in her car between 2 pm and the 911 call. Possible?

One thing I don't think we considered is, knowing now about the suitcase, if Tecia loaded a suitcase into the back of the truck, she could have disposed of the suitcase at some of places that LE DID search early! Now that we know her horrid proclivity for moving him, it's not a stretch to imagine she had multiple hiding spots.

Making me wonder if she didn't, in fact, dispose of the suitcase that day, between about 10 am and 2 pm, only to relocate the suitcase with a different car. Possibly she STARTED with the suitcase in the back of her car? Used the truck to block moving the suitcase from her car to the truck. Later parked her car somewhere overnight, drove it back, transferred the suitcase from her car to the truck, then deposited the suitcase somewhere during her midday drive.

Remember how long LE searched at other locations? The pond with sonar! The reserve land behind Petco. Maybe the suitcase HAD been there!

When she was arrested LE had not recovered his body and was unaware that he'd been moved.

She was VERY busy that day.

JMO

Last edited:

MOO

Reportedly, LE did look inside the windows of her vehicle when they came to take the report. They did a cursory view of the vehicle just as they did of the house when there's no search warrant.

I think GS was most likely already hidden in a suitcase. Where she kept the suitcase is the question I'd like answered.

Reportedly, LE did look inside the windows of her vehicle when they came to take the report. They did a cursory view of the vehicle just as they did of the house when there's no search warrant.

I think GS was most likely already hidden in a suitcase. Where she kept the suitcase is the question I'd like answered.

@Seattle, are we CERTAIN Tecia's car was there for that initial search? Details are fuzzy for me now? Wasn't the daughter's vehicle in the garage?

I trust your memory is better than mine.

Still I think it's possible that she did dispose of the suitcase during the 4 hour errand odyssey, reclaimed it, deposited it along Perry Park, only to retrieve it yet another time, in Florida.

JMO

I'm thinking that in order for her to present her two item of proof that she is innocent then she has to take the stand. I surely hope that she does. I can see, in my mind, that she will object to the prosecutors' questioning of her. LOL

Just a small note that she doesn’t have to prove anything (unless there’s an affirmative defense, like self-defense). The burden of proof is on the prosecution. But I know what you mean. If her “ace in the hole” is HH testifying that LS didn’t do it, I don’t think LS’s testimony is necessary. Ditto if Eguardo testified that he did it or an alarm tech testifies that the motion cameras were wrong. MOO.

@Seattle, are we CERTAIN Tecia's car was there for that initial search? Details are fuzzy for me now? Wasn't the daughter's vehicle in the garage?

Still I think it's possible that she did dispose of the suitcase during the 4 hour errand odyssey, reclaimed it, deposited it along Perry Park, only to retrieve it yet another time, in Florida.

JMO
Yes, it's confirmed.

The Affidavit details they responded to LS 911 call on Jan 27, 2020 -- conducted a limited search and was unable to locate GS. They were wearing body cameras and confirmed the VW was "backed into the garage." (pg 6).

Police also believe LS dumped GS body the evening of Jan 28 and used the VW to transport GS.

https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/04th_Judicial_District/El_Paso/Stauch/Stauch FINAL redacted 040120.pdf

ETA: Also, important to recall that LS report caused investigators to initially code GS as a runaway.

"The reporting party, who was Gannon's stepmom. called 911 to report Gannon was last seen by her between 3:15 - 4pm on January 27 to go to a friend's house. Information received during this call guided the call taker to type code this call as a runaway. Gannon's information was entered into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) and the Colorado Crime Information Center (CCIC) approximately 30 minutes after the initial call as a runaway."

https://www.koaa.com/news/gannon-st...ch-returns-to-colorado-to-face-murder-charges

Last edited:

JMO

I just looked back at the arrest affidavit it states LS’s car was backed in the garage when the police made their initial search. Said it was significant because the rear hatch was over the spot where GS’s blood was later found.

Affidavit Paragraph 184 addresses her attempt to purchase fake polygraph results. One of the questions she submitted was “Did your stepson return with you to your home?” and she provided “yes” as her polygraph answer.

Stating that the neighbor’s video was too blurry, the affidavit relied on the home’s motion sensors to conclude that he probably DID return home. I wonder if she’s NOW going to claim that Gannon did NOT arrive home. That is, that he was abducted by Quincy/Terrence around PetCo. Is that her “science”?

If he did not return home, then Eguardo never* came in contact with Gannon. But she could explain that she - ever so virtuously - wanted to make Gannon the hero, jumping on Eguardo to save LS. Yes, she’d be caught in a lie - but according to Paragraph 177 of the affidavit, she told a third party that she gave AS “numerous false stories” because she knew he wouldn’t believe her. (That’s the affiant’s language, not hers).

I’m trying to think of what other “science” she’s claiming. It’s basically blood, surveillance footage, phone pings/messages, and cars, right? Nosebleeds on the mattress? The unrelated blood found in the rental Kia?

*Unless Quincy dropped Gannon at home while Eguardo and LS were in the basement? Wouldn’t put it past her.

We've really come full circle in one year to LS representing herself!

The timeline from the moment Gannon was reported missing to Stauch's arrest:

Monday, Jan. 27
- 6:55 p.m., El Paso County Sheriff's Office dispatch receives call of runaway child, 6600 block of Mandan Drive in the Lorson Ranch neighborhood.

- 7:32 p.m., Gannon Stauch entered into state and national databases as active runaway

- Last seen between 3 and 4 p.m. on the 27th

- Nothing found on initial search

Tuesday, Jan. 28
- 12:29 p.m., case turned over to EPSO investigators

- Detectives conduct interviews, collect surveillance, follow up on additional leads

Wednesday, Jan. 29
- Investigation continues

Thursday, Jan. 30
- Upgrade case from runaway to endangered missing child

- EPSO requests resources from NCMEC and FBI Crimes Abduction Rapid Deployment Team

Friday, Jan. 31
- Letecia Stauch speaks exclusively to 11 News reporter Spencer Wilson

Monday, Feb. 3
- Neighbor comes forward with home surveillance video showing a a driver and passenger getting into a truck the day Gannon went missing, and only one person returning hours later.

Wednesday, Feb. 5
- 4th Judicial District Attorney Dan May is first seen at the Stauch home.

Thursday, Feb. 13
- Search for Gannon moves into Douglas County.

Friday, Feb. 21
- Douglas County search suspended. Sheriff's office says there remains the potential for search efforts to start up any time.

Monday, March 2
- Letecia Stauch arrested in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

Wednesday, March 4
-Letecia reportedly attacked a deputy and was held in a Kansas jail, according to a source.

Thursday, March 5
-Letecia arrives in Colorado Springs for a video advisement hearing.

Search continued for 11-year-old Colorado boy Gannon Stauch on Thursday

At the time of the arrest, LE referred to two trips to Perry Park, theorizing once was to deposit him there and the other, to check on concealment.

When LE sifted that location without finding Gannon and before he was found in Florida, LE theorized that wildlife may have hindered discovery, but now we know that she returned to that site in order to relocate him.

I keep recalling the intensity of those early searches (the pond and behind Petco). We figured at the time that vehicle data led them there....

So.... if that's the case, which vehicle do we suppose gave them that information? The truck or her car? We can't forget that she had an explanation for being on a route to Castle Rock (potentially Tsplaining location AND a suitcase, as if it held Gannon's outgrown sporting equipment)....

So....my question remain --

Was Perry Park the FIRST disposal site or the second?

And WHEN did she FIRST dispose of the suitcase? The night before (then doctoring the timestamp on the morning "sleeping" photos), during the cover of dark?

Between 10 am and 2 pm. At the pond, behind Petco, at Perry Park)

Between 2 pm and 6 pm?

Or at some point after LE's first search?

Would she really call 911 while the suitcase was sitting RIGHT THERE in her car?

If she moved Gannon from his bed to the garage between Sunday evening and Monday morning, she could've used the backed in truck as cover to move him from her trunk to the truck, possibly utilizing the suitcase then for the first time.

If she left in the truck at 10, left the suitcase in any of at least three possible locations, when 911 was called she would've had genuine confidence that LE would not find Gannon there, because he was already gone.

Only truth she told, she may have sought someone to replace carpet... with or without success.

She was spastic-busy, that's for sure.

She had limited hours and much to conceal.

How many places did she hide that suitcase?

When she's served her LWOP sentence, can we petition for a cell with roughly the same dimensions?

JMO

Just a small note that she doesn’t have to prove anything (unless there’s an affirmative defense, like self-defense). The burden of proof is on the prosecution. But I know what you mean. If her “ace in the hole” is HH testifying that LS didn’t do it, I don’t think LS’s testimony is necessary. Ditto if Eguardo testified that he did it or an alarm tech testifies that the motion cameras were wrong. MOO.
I'm aware that the burden of proof is not on the defense. IMO, she is so eager to present her proof that she did not kill Gannon that she eagerly wanted to represent herself. I think she is impatiently waiting for her testimony on the stand to straighten out all the people who think that she is guilty.

I'm aware that the burden of proof is not on the defense. IMO, she is so eager to present her proof that she did not kill Gannon that she eagerly wanted to represent herself. I think she is impatiently waiting for her testimony on the stand to straighten out all the people who think that she is guilty.

I totally agree! I suspect that was a big conflict between her and her attys. I’m getting dizzy just thinking about cross-examining her. I wonder if she’s going to do more “I didn’t do it and here’s the science” or “I didn’t do it, Landon is bad, AS didn’t appreciate me, I’m a great person.” MOO.

I totally agree! I suspect that was a big conflict between her and her attys. I’m getting dizzy just thinking about cross-examining her. I wonder if she’s going to do more “I didn’t do it and here’s the science” or “I didn’t do it, Landon is bad, AS didn’t appreciate me, I’m a great person.” MOO.
Exactly! I'm thinking that is why she doesn't have an attorney and decided to represent herself. She was most likely trying to control the attorneys. She is about to explode to talk and explain the facts. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anthonyotoole