Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *Arrest* #50

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My pleasure! :)

I don't know why - but I had to check her court site this morning & saw the change!

it was changed Wednesday when her original public defenders were reappointed. They couldn’t stick with the original dates because they’ve been working on other cases. It will likely change again after new public defenders are appointed on Monday.

it was changed Wednesday when her original public defenders were reappointed. They couldn’t stick with the original dates because they’ve been working on other cases. It will likely change again after new public defenders are appointed on Monday.

The prelim date was changed during Werner's hearing from May to August for the reason stated. But what else has changed since is that it was announced after Bain's hearing that the new counsel appearance would be May 10. That seems to have changed to May 12. So not Monday but Wednesday.

I’m kind of glad her request for new attorneys was granted only because I don’t want her to get an appeal.

But I am curious, if a defendant insists on an implausible defense strategy, is a public defender required to do as the defendant demands (so long as it does not require perjury etc)? Or can a public defender say “no- I will not blame the child’s father // the defendant’s daughter// the defendant’s secret biological son for a crime no reasonable person would believe they committed?”

what happens in the case of a defendant who insists on controlling strategy in a way that any free lawyer would disagree with?

I’m kind of glad her request for new attorneys was granted only because I don’t want her to get an appeal.

But I am curious, if a defendant insists on an implausible defense strategy, is a public defender required to do as the defendant demands (so long as it does not require perjury etc)? Or can a public defender say “no- I will not blame the child’s father // the defendant’s daughter// the defendant’s secret biological son for a crime no reasonable person would believe they committed?”

what happens in the case of a defendant who insists on controlling strategy in a way that any free lawyer would disagree with?

@MoeInVA,

Great question. I hope someone in the know answers because I'm also very curious.

As I said in an earlier post, I think LS's conflict with her old attorneys was over the approach to her defense. Her letter to the judge was hard to understand or make sense of for me but:

1. She did say her attorneys talked with her family, apparently against her wishes. If true, that was odd for them to do.

2. She did say talking with her family was for "mitigation" suggesting the attorneys may have been more focused on preparing for the sentencing phase than for the guilt phase of the trial.

3. She did say they weren't obtaining the mental health records she thought should be obtained.

4. She did mention a "bio son" who she said she did not want involved. Maybe that was all delusion, maybe it wasn't. We don't know much about her early life but her family does.

One thing I'm sure of. Professional ethics, professional standards of practice, and responsibilities to one's clients are the same for an attorney whether he/she is a public defender or a privately-paid attorney. It may not work out that way to in actual practice but the rules about professional behavior don't differ based on payment source-- just like they don't differ for doctors or psychologists depending on who ultimately gets billed.
JMO

She was fairly upset that her attorneys "shared info" with her family causing conflicts. Bet that is why her daughter is testifying. Hopefully her immediate family has disowned her.

This probably means the puzzled attorneys asked Leticia's family members "who is this 'bio son' she suddenly keeps rattling on about? Have you ever heard about this?"; and then blamed the attorneys when her family members swarmed her virtually and asked her what she was talking about.

I'd disown her if she was any relation of mine too!

The woman isn't crazy, she isn't truly unbalanced. It's all for show, sympathy and show. JMO but I think she takes great delight in shocking people with her antics.

Well, her playing for shock value, or sympathy or for show has had its run for me. She has taken the life of a beautiful boy, that's serious stuff, heinous stuff and I'm done with finding a stupid smile on my face over some of her ridiculous antics.

I'm looking at this case and I'm ready to glower at her until this is over. Then, and only then I'll release the biggest smile ever followed by floods of tears all because we will have our Justice4Gannon. Sweet boy.
She seems completely unhinged to me. She's probably craved attention and done everything "for show" her whole life. She couldn't hold a job for more than a couple of years.

I think the reason she killed Gannon was because she resented not getting enough attention from her husband. She knew her marriage was falling apart. In many of her text messages she complains about not being appreciated for being the "hero" who made so many sacrifices raising someone else's children. She wanted to hurt Al and Laina and she knew the best way to do that. A normal person doesn't solve problems that way.

She will be held accountable for her crimes, no matter how "crazy" she might be. The evidence shows that she knew what she was doing and went to great lengths to lie, manipulate, and cover up the murder. That's what people like Letecia do.

I believe most serial killers are lying psychopaths, yet eventually they get caught. Many love the attention and continue to manipulate their attorneys, prison guards and other inmates. Letecia is no different. She may even manage to find a few sympathizers in prison. Until they realize she's using them or she stabs them in the back.

She can put things off as long as she wants, but her day will come. She'll be convicted and there will be justice for Gannon and his family.

IMO

This probably means the puzzled attorneys asked Leticia's family members "who is this 'bio son' she suddenly keeps rattling on about? Have you ever heard about this?"; and then blamed the attorneys when her family members swarmed her virtually and asked her what she was talking about.

You could be right. I'm still kind of surprised though if the attorneys did that no matter how puzzled they may have been.

Like with other professions involving privileged communication (e.g., physician, psychologist, priest), so far as I know the standard in effect for attorneys is that they must have explicit permission from the client before talking to family members about the client's situation, particularly when the client is not a minor, an adult deemed incompetent by a court or by unconsciousness or other overwhelming medical issue and the family member is next-of-kin, and/or it's not a medical emergency. That can make it more difficult to serve a person professionally but without assurances of confidentiality there would be bigger problems in the long run.

The standard is not that attorneys can talk to anyone they wish until or unless the person explicitly says "hey, don't talk to X, Y, or Z." The client holds the privilege automatically. It's not something she has to "invoke" for it to be in effect.

I know communication can become "unprivileged" if it occurs in the presence of certain third parties. And maybe LS's letter to the judge did that since it had to be made public by the court. But it still seems odd to me.

JMO

She seems completely unhinged to me. She's probably craved attention and done everything "for show" her whole life. She couldn't hold a job for more than a couple of years.

I think the reason she killed Gannon was because she resented not getting enough attention from her husband. She knew her marriage was falling apart. In many of her text messages she complains about not being appreciated for being the "hero" who made so many sacrifices raising someone else's children. She wanted to hurt Al and Laina and she knew the best way to do that. A normal person doesn't solve problems that way.

She will be held accountable for her crimes, no matter how "crazy" she might be. The evidence shows that she knew what she was doing and went to great lengths to lie, manipulate, and cover up the murder. That's what people like Letecia do.

I believe most serial killers are lying psychopaths, yet eventually they get caught. Many love the attention and continue to manipulate their attorneys, prison guards and other inmates. Letecia is no different. She may even manage to find a few sympathizers in prison. Until they realize she's using them or she stabs them in the back.

She can put things off as long as she wants, but her day will come. She'll be convicted and there will be justice for Gannon and his family.

IMO

Yes, yes Betsy. Such a great post, I agree with every word.

Wednesday, May 12th:
*Appearance of Counsel Hearing (murder & escape charges) (@ 3pm MT) – CO – Gannon Stauch (11) (missing Jan. 27, 2020, Colorado Springs; found Mar. 18, 2020 in Pace, FL., Santa Rosa County) – *Letecia Lynn (or Leann) Stauch (36/now 37) aka Letecia “Tecia” Lynn Hardin & Letecia Lynn Hunt arrested (in Myrtle Beach, S.C. 3/2/20) & advised of charges (3/5/20) & formally charged & arraigned (3/11/20) with 1st degree murder of a child under 12, child abuse resulting in death, tampering with deceased human body & tampering with physical evidence. No plea entered. Held without bond. [see below for re-filed charges].
Charged (re-filed 3/20/20) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder (after intent & deliberation), 2nd degree child abuse resulting in death, 3rd degree tampering with deceased human body, 6th degree tampering with physical evidence & 8 counts of crime of violence (firearm, blunt instrument, knife or sharp instrument & causing the death of Gannon). Held without bond.
Charged (filed 5/20/20) & charged (6/5/20) with solicitation to commit escape. $2K bond.
Case & court info from 3/2/20 to 4/8/21 reference post #765 here:
Found Deceased - CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *Arrest* #50

4/30/21: [O-14] Order re-appointing office of the public defender on behalf of the defendant (per letter request from defendant). [P-24] Notice of endorsement of witnesses for preliminary hearing filed by State. 5/1/21 Update: Appearance of Counsel hearing on 5/5/21 @ 3pm in person.
5/5/21 Update: Judge Gregory Werner confirmed Wednesday that she's now requesting an attorney & the court would appoint a public defender for her. However, the state will have to find new attorneys to represent Stauch after a conflict of interest was found. The new development means that scheduled hearings will be pushed back. The Public Defender's Office said in court Wednesday that they wouldn't be ready for an evidentiary hearing on May 20 as originally planned. Stauch said during the hearing that while she requested representation, she doesn't want public defenders to represent her. Judge William Bain would decide if there's a conflict of interest that would warrant the removal of public defenders. Following the hearing, Judge Bain did find a conflict of interest with the local public defenders appointed to her, so a new hearing will be set for next week on 5/10/21 to establish new counsel. It's not yet clear who will be appointed by the state to represent Stauch. Preliminary hearings on 5/20 & 5/21 have been rescheduled on 8/5/21 & 8/6/21 for murder charge only. 5/7/21 Update: [O-15] Order appointment alternate defense counsel. Court appoints ADC Josh Tolini on behalf of defendant. Appearance of counsel set for 5/12/21.

You could be right. I'm still kind of surprised though if the attorneys did that no matter how puzzled they may have been.

Like with other professions involving privileged communication (e.g., physician, psychologist, priest), so far as I know the standard in effect for attorneys is that they must have explicit permission from the client before talking to family members about the client's situation, particularly when the client is not a minor, an adult deemed incompetent by a court or by unconsciousness or other overwhelming medical issue and the family member is next-of-kin, and/or it's not a medical emergency. That can make it more difficult to serve a person professionally but without assurances of confidentiality there would be bigger problems in the long run.

The standard is not that attorneys can talk to anyone they wish until or unless the person explicitly says "hey, don't talk to X, Y, or Z." The client holds the privilege automatically. It's not something she has to "invoke" for it to be in effect.

I know communication can become "unprivileged" if it occurs in the presence of certain third parties. And maybe LS's letter to the judge did that since it had to be made public by the court. But it still seems odd to me.

JMO

Just because she disapproves of its being done now, does not, IMO, preclude her having given permission for the lawyers to talk to her family members before she realized the effect that this would have upon her case.

If this action follows her typical shortsightedness, she gave blanket permission a while ago thinking that family members would only say good things, not realizing the effect that some of the things they said might have upon the public defenders (which again, is perfectly in line with prior actions); and/or gave the permission before she thought up the nonsense about a "bio son", which so far sounds straight out of the movie logic Tecia usually applies ("criminal insanity can be conveyed perfectly credibly, by dint of staring at the air above one's own head and appearing to swat at invisible insects!!"... "acting in the interests of an endangered, heretofore secret child is EXACTLY the sort of thing that gives a criminal an air of noble martyrdom and excuses any bad actions!")

She has dangerous delusions of grandeur, IMO.

Just because she disapproves of its being done now, does not, IMO, preclude her having given permission for the lawyers to talk to her family members before she realized the effect that this would have upon her case.

If this action follows her typical shortsightedness, she gave blanket permission a while ago thinking that family members would only say good things, not realizing the effect that some of the things they said might have upon the public defenders (which again, is perfectly in line with prior actions); and/or gave the permission before she thought up the nonsense about a "bio son", which so far sounds straight out of the movie logic Tecia usually applies ("criminal insanity can be conveyed perfectly credibly, by dint of staring at the air above one's own head and appearing to swat at invisible insects!!"... "acting in the interests of an endangered, heretofore secret child is EXACTLY the sort of thing that gives a criminal an air of noble martyrdom and excuses any bad actions!")

I think your absolutely right about giving the ok and then not liking what her family told her lawyers. They likely disclosed years of antisocial behavior, criminal activity and generally unacceptable behavior. Her document criminal history probably pales in comparison to what she’s actually gotten away with. Her attorneys will have a hard time coming up with any mitigation. Just like Arias.

She’s seething because she was found to be competent TWICE.

Could be.

IF that did happen (giving her attorneys permission to talk to X, Y, Z and then regretting it), would that be enough for Bain to rule there was a conflict? I'd expect the attorneys would have gotten her waiver in writing and I'd kind of doubt it would be a blanket one to talk to just anyone but I could be wrong....unless a written waiver fell through the cracks (perhaps because of COVID) so it's a she said/they said situation. While the judge might have believed the PDs, I can see why in that situation he'd have to rule in LS's favor. But if they had paperwork....Of course, the conflict could be for other reasons.

I'm not surprised she got representation returned. The trial hadn't started when she made the request and no one wants an appeal for that. But in other ways, if the PDs truly were doing what needed to be done, and could document that, I am surprised she got a private attorney. That will cost the state a bundle and defendants probably complain about PDs all the time. I'm sure the PDs are happy though!
JMO

For anyone interested, the Webex code is readily available in the Colorado Judicial Branch site, Courts tab, By District, 4th, Virtual Courtrooms.
Please disable your camera and silence your mic

ETA: Preliminary hearing moved to September 9th, Mr. Tollini is officially appointed as Defense Counsel, he was formerly the Advisory Counsel but needs this time to review all the discovery and be fit to proceed given his schedule before that, he claimed.

Last edited:
https://twitter.com/spencer_wnews/status/1392587694946013186?s=21
Sounds like #LeteciaStauch is appearing over WebEx from the jail today.

Judge confirms Mr. Tolini will be appointed to represent her moving forward.

Judge asks how well he is versed with the case, he says he needs more time.

Suggests September 9-10th

https://twitter.com/spencer_wnews/status/1392588245788209161?s=21

Tolini says his schedule is packed, can’t do it any sooner than that.

Now coordinating how he will get the documents.

@4thJudicialDA agrees to September 9th-10th.

That will do it, 9:00 A.M. is the new date set.

https://twitter.com/spencer_wnews/status/1392588625511133191?s=21

Not a peep from #LeteciaStauch, and this meeting is over.

Prepare for a long summer of homework for Mr. Tolini

Date Len Appearance Name Hearing Type Case # Location Division
9/9/21
9:00 AM 1Hr IN PERSON STAUCH, LETECIA Preliminary Hearing D212020CR1358 El Paso County DIV 15-ROOM S403 (South Tower)

9/10/21
9:00 AM 1Hr IN PERSON STAUCH, LETECIA Preliminary Hearing D212020CR1358 El Paso County DIV 15-ROOM S403 (South Tower)

link: Seventh Judicial District » Docket Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member