Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *Arrest* #52

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Her Defence seems to be very dedicated to their task.
Is this a Public Defender or a private one?
Sorry, I am still catching up with this case.

But hey, this team is quite successful.

MOO
Well she actually fired her public defenders at one point and said she was going to defend herself - at that point he was court appointed to be her "advisory counsel"

Then she backtracked and this happened:

In a court appearance on May 5, Judge Werner ruled Stauch would be appointed the same team of public defenders she had before she decided to represent herself. Later that day, a different judge found a conflict in the case and ruled she will be appointed new attorneys. Her new defense attorney has now been appointed as Tolini.

Lucky him!

LS doesn’t mind all the delays. Her future is life without parole. There is no second choice. She was already found competent. Her attorneys can milk the State of Colorado for all its worth and she will still live in a hell hole for the rest of her life.

LS doesn’t mind all the delays. Her future is life without parole. There is no second choice. She was already found competent. Her attorneys can milk the State of Colorado for all its worth and she will still live in a hell hole for the rest of her life.
BBM

But competency and sanity aren't the same thing. So the fact that she was found competent really isn't the issue-- and 100% of the defendants found Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity were competent (either by assumption or by evaluation.) I'm not suggesting she is insane-- I don't know. But competency evals aren't all that relevant now IMO.

I don't know what the hospital will be required to do. But I'd be surprised if the case goes to trial without the defense having an opportunity for another sanity eval. I'm afraid that would be the kind of thing that gets a verdict overturned and nobody would want that. Better to allow the time now than have to do it all over again.
JMO
Of course, you're correct @NCWatcher that the Court will follow the law and work to accommodate the defense request.

I hope you recognize I'm guilty of venting my frustration over what I think are LS's intentional delays that serve to impede justice for Gannon.

Nonetheless, I do believe the subject expert is the same that somehow introduced the defense strategy of interjecting temporary insanity during the act, and soon after, regaining sanity. Perhaps it was a successful strategy used for another case or the expert reached out to the defense directly.

I still regret LS is using the Court's evaluation system to enable the approach -- at the expense of the taxpayers. MOO

Thank you, @Cindizzi!

Do you recall if we have a current expert list filed by the defense?

I'm hoping to find the name of the doctor that the defense wants to use to suggest LS was insane during the act (and regained her sanity). I want to say this expert is from Utah -- but maybe I'm remembering something/somebody else. (It wouldn't be the first time). :oops:

I've not read any physical descriptions of LS in court today. Anybody? I wish we have had a before/after for comparison. I'm curious how she's holding up after so many days in her quad.

Last edited:
I've not read any physical descriptions of LS in court today. Anybody? I wish we have had a before/after for comparison. I'm curious how she's holding up after so many days in her quad.
I’ve not seen any mention of her appearance either.

I watched the hearing via WebEx from beginning to end and only saw quick glimpses of LS. When she entered and exited the Courtroom she walked right in front of the camera. Once seated in between her attorneys the camera showed only her Defense Tolini and a slight portion of LS arm and shoulder in her orange jail garb. She was wearing a black facial mask covering her nose and mouth.

I was struck by the length of her hair— looked like almost waist length- and she looked a bit heavier in weight.

JMO

I’ve not seen any mention of her appearance either.

I watched the hearing via WebEx from beginning to end and only saw quick glimpses of LS. When she entered and exited the Courtroom she walked right in front of the camera. Once seated in between her attorneys the camera showed only her Defense Tolini and a slight portion of LS arm and shoulder in her orange jail garb. She was wearing a black facial mask covering her nose and mouth.

I was struck by the length of her hair— looked like almost waist length- and she looked a bit heavier in weight.

JMO
Thanks!

COLORADO SPRINGS — The District Court of El Paso County was ready to set the trial date for Letecia Stauch, but her defense has filed a motion for a second sanity examination.

Stauch’s defense attorneys are challenging the state’s sanity examination that took months to complete. This is the third mental evaluation for Stauch.

Stauch was present at the hearing, along with the mother and father of 11-year-old Gannon Stauch, Stauch’s stepson that police have accused her of killing.

FOX21’s Lauren Scharf attended the hearing and gave updates as it unfolded. When Judge Gregory Werner entered the courtroom on Thursday, August 25, he stated “we are here to set a trial date,” after the state’s mental evaluation came back on August 4.

The defense then filed a motion for a second evaluation, with Letecia Stauch’s Defense Attorney Josh Tolini asking to hold off on setting the trial date until the second evaluation is complete.

The judge is giving the defense three weeks to see if the state hospital will have a bed for Stauch to get a second sanity evaluation by an outside (out-of-state) psychiatrist. Judge Werner also wants to clarify the law of when to set the trial date after a sanity evaluation is complete. The judge responded to the motion and said this was different because it is a ‘sanity examination,’ rather than a ‘competency evaluation.’

[…]

The judge is giving the defense three weeks to see if the state hospital will have a bed for Stauch to get a second sanity evaluation by an outside (out-of-state) psychiatrist. Judge Werner also wants to clarify the law of when to set the trial date after a sanity evaluation is complete. The judge responded to the motion and said this was different because it is a ‘sanity examination,’ rather than a ‘competency evaluation.’
^^rsbm

I dunno. At what point does this begin to feel disingenuous to the Judge?

I'm recalling Defense Attorney Tolini most recently requesting Judge Werner to compel the hospital to produce the evaluation report as if they were eager to get on with the trial --only to serve the Court with another motion requesting another evaluation today!

And not just any request, but one with very specific terms that include hosting their expert!
Makes my head hurt. JMO

Thank you, @Cindizzi!

Do you recall if we have a current expert list filed by the defense?

I'm hoping to find the name of the doctor that the defense wants to use to suggest LS was insane during the act (and regained her sanity). I want to say this expert is from Utah -- but maybe I'm remembering something/somebody else. (It wouldn't be the first time). :oops:
I can’t find any documents on the CoCourts site that indicate who this expert is or what State they are from.

Found this article from July 28, 2022 that mentions the “ out of state expert “ :

[…]

If those state doctors find that they believe she was sane at the time of the crimes, Stauch's attorneys indicated that she will be evaluated a second time. He's indicated in court that he found an out-of-state expert who believe Stauch was suffering from some type of dissociative disorder at the time of the crimes, and that doctor will reevaluate Stauch to determine if she had the mental capacity to "knowingly" commit any of the crimes she's charged with.

Following that potential evaluation, the 4th Judicial District Attorney's Office can either decide to send her to a mental health facility indefinitely, or they can take her to trial with insanity as her defense.

Tolini indicated in court Thursday that their expert is planning to fly out to Colorado Springs in August to complete her evaluation, so they're hoping to have at least portions of the evaluation back by then. They've requested that CMHIP release whatever they have now before the evaluation is complete, but doctors have yet to release anything. Tolini told Judge Werner Thursday that he's going to file paperwork to request a hearing to allow doctors to explain what's taking so long.

^^rsbm

I dunno. At what point does this begin to feel disingenuous to the Judge?

I'm recalling Defense Attorney Tolini most recently requesting Judge Werner to compel the hospital to produce the evaluation report as if they were eager to get on with the trial --only to serve the Court with another motion requesting another evaluation today!

And not just any request, but one with very specific terms that include hosting their expert!
Makes my head hurt. JMO
I’ve not seen it reported, but from viewing and listening to the hearing today via WebEx I can say that Judge Werner said at least twice that a JURY will be the ones who decide Sanity!

I can’t find any documents on the CoCourts site that indicate who this expert is or what State they are from.

Found this article from July 28, 2022 that mentions the “ out of state expert “ :

[…]

If those state doctors find that they believe she was sane at the time of the crimes, Stauch's attorneys indicated that she will be evaluated a second time. He's indicated in court that he found an out-of-state expert who believe Stauch was suffering from some type of dissociative disorder at the time of the crimes, and that doctor will reevaluate Stauch to determine if she had the mental capacity to "knowingly" commit any of the crimes she's charged with.

Following that potential evaluation, the 4th Judicial District Attorney's Office can either decide to send her to a mental health facility indefinitely, or they can take her to trial with insanity as her defense.

Tolini indicated in court Thursday that their expert is planning to fly out to Colorado Springs in August to complete her evaluation, so they're hoping to have at least portions of the evaluation back by then. They've requested that CMHIP release whatever they have now before the evaluation is complete, but doctors have yet to release anything. Tolini told Judge Werner Thursday that he's going to file paperwork to request a hearing to allow doctors to explain what's taking so long.
Thank you!

This is the same expert I remember that goes back to some type of dissociative disorder at the time of the crimes, and I think we first learned of this in 2021(??)...

Thanks again.

ETA: In my notes from Feb-March 2021 and after LS wrote a letter to the Judge, I printed “dissociative disorder” and COL, so I'll go search there. (Crimeonline).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member