Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *Arrest* #53

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rest of the hearing was spent discussing the logistical challenges the court faces with the upcoming jury trial, which 4th Judicial District Attorney Michael Allen stated may last more than six weeks.

Werner said that jury selection for the trial alone could take up to 14 days due to the likelihood of many jurors being unable to be present for all six weeks of the trial.

Werner set April 3 as the earliest date that attorneys can begin opening statements, even if jury selection is completed earlier than expected.

Two outstanding defense motions for a change of venue for Stauch's jury trial and a motion to waive the jury trial entirely in favor of a court trial were not ruled on by Werner at Thursday's hearing.

If a court trial took place instead of a jury trial, Werner alone would listen to evidence and testimony presented and then make a verdict of guilty or not guilty — there would be no jury present. At previous hearings Allen has objected to a court trial, and Werner spoke negatively about the idea.

Stauch faces 13 charges for allegedly killing Gannon including first-degree murder, child abuse, two counts of tampering with evidence and more.

In addition to the first-degree murder case, Stauch also faces a second case in which she is accused of attempting to escape from the El Paso County jail in May 2020.

The rest of the hearing was spent discussing the logistical challenges the court faces with the upcoming jury trial, which 4th Judicial District Attorney Michael Allen stated may last more than six weeks.

Werner said that jury selection for the trial alone could take up to 14 days due to the likelihood of many jurors being unable to be present for all six weeks of the trial.

Werner set April 3 as the earliest date that attorneys can begin opening statements, even if jury selection is completed earlier than expected.

Two outstanding defense motions for a change of venue for Stauch's jury trial and a motion to waive the jury trial entirely in favor of a court trial were not ruled on by Werner at Thursday's hearing.

If a court trial took place instead of a jury trial, Werner alone would listen to evidence and testimony presented and then make a verdict of guilty or not guilty — there would be no jury present. At previous hearings Allen has objected to a court trial, and Werner spoke negatively about the idea.

Stauch faces 13 charges for allegedly killing Gannon including first-degree murder, child abuse, two counts of tampering with evidence and more.

In addition to the first-degree murder case, Stauch also faces a second case in which she is accused of attempting to escape from the El Paso County jail in May 2020.

She should also be charged for the assault on the deputy she attacked while being transported back to Colorado from South Carolina.

She should also be charged for the assault on the deputy she attacked while being transported back to Colorado from South Carolina.
She's not going to be charged in Colorado with the earlier escape since it happened in Kansas. And certainly if she's found guilty of a big crime in Colorado-- murder-- she's not going to then be sent to Kansas to be tried on a relatively minor charge, especially if she's already got LWOP. The only way I see charges brought for the earlier escape attempt would be if she gets off in Colorado. But if that happened, I don't honestly know if Kansas would bother to extradite her.
JMO

A timeline of events for the anticipated trial date set for 03/20/2023 to refresh our minds and for new participants:

Date of article, 03/20/2020

The disappearance of Gannon Stauch: A timeline of the case​

Gannon was reported missing on Jan. 27.

After nearly two months, authorities found Gannon Stauch, an 11-year-old boy from Colorado, who was reported missing in late January on the other side of the country.

Gauch's stepmother, Letecia, who was arrested March 2, is now facing additional charges.

Last edited:
A timeline of events for the anticipated trial date set for 03/20/2023 to refresh our minds and for new participants:

Date of article, 04/03/2020

TIMELINE OF GANNON STAUCH CASE:​

• Jan. 27: Gannon Stauch is reported as a runaway; last seen by stepmother Letecia Stauch between 3.15 pm-4 pm
  • Jan. 30: Case is upgraded to a missing and endangered child's case due to his age, need for medication, winter weather and the length of time he's been missing
  • Jan. 31: Letecia Stauch gives interview to KKTV saying deputies had threatened to shoot her and put her 17-year-old daughter in handcuffs
  • Feb. 4: Neighbor Roderrick Drayton shares surveillance video showing what appears to be Letecia returning home at 2.19pm without Gannon in her pickup truck; claims boy's father broke down in tears when he saw the video
  • Feb. 5: District Attorney Dan May visits Stauch's home; Stauch family make YouTube statement to bring Gannon home
  • Feb. 7: Searchers use submersible remotely operated vehicle with sonar to scour a pond near Stauch family's home
  • Feb. 8: Candlelight prayer vigil is held at Lorson Ranch
  • Feb. 11: Letecia Stauch releases statement to Fox 31 claiming Gannon was in her truck on Jan. 27 and that later left with a 'friend'
  • Feb. 21: Ground search for Gannon is halted by investigation continues
  • Feb 28: Planned search for Gannon is called off without explanation
  • Mar 2 Letecia Stauch is arrested in connection to the case. Stauch was charged with murder of a child under 12 years of age by a person in a position of trust, child abuse resulting in death and tampering with a dead body. Authorities announce that they don't believe Gannon is alive, but they haven't found his body. The investigation is ongoing
  • March 5: Letecia is extradited from South Carolina to El Paso County, Colorado
  • March 18: Remains on a boy are found in Pace, Florida
  • March 20: Autopsy performed on child's remains tentatively identify the deceased as Gannon Stauch

She's pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity. And the Judge excepted that.
Makes me sick.

Just arrived here and sliding back to the beginning to put all in place in my head before jumping in without checking the depth first. My first take is tragic since it's a young youth and hope to bring something to the table for this young man.

Just arrived here and sliding back to the beginning to put all in place in my head before jumping in without checking the depth first. My first take is tragic since it's a young youth and hope to bring something to the table for this young man.
I skidded back to the beginning, many moons ago. Took a while to catch the gas bags up but it was well worth it. Hold onto your hat, you're in for a crazy ride but the picture soon forms.
Welcome to the Thread.

I skidded back to the beginning, many moons ago. Took a while to catch the gas bags up but it was well worth it. Hold onto your hat, you're in for a crazy ride but the picture soon forms.
Welcome to the Thread.
Just a half dozen threads in but by the 3rd thread the step mom stood out already along with the phone info. Like IMO had no actual care what the boy was doing from the start then things started to go darker from there, body language is one of the flags I look for and seeing flags, Back to soaking this up and sure it's going to lead right back to home, gut feeling.

Just a half dozen threads in but by the 3rd thread the step mom stood out already along with the phone info. Like IMO had no actual care what the boy was doing from the start then things started to go darker from there, body language is one of the flags I look for and seeing flags, Back to soaking this up and sure it's going to lead right back to home, gut feeling.
I'm a little late here. Oh, keep reading. She's a piece of work anddddd I'm just being nice so I don't get trouble here. IMO, you'll be shocked at all of the crap she pulls.

Judge Gregory Werner ordered all court documents for the trial be submitted by Feb. 13, which includes Stauch’s sanity reports from experts. All other motions are to be submitted by March 9. The presentation of evidence will begin on April 3.

4th Judicial District Attorney Michael Allen asked for six weeks of trial for the presentation of evidence due to the delay in receiving Stauch’s sanity reports.

“I think if it’s pretty extensive in its findings and what the basis for different conclusions might be, we might have to put on more evidence than we otherwise would have,” said DA Allen. He also stated that the Prosecution plans to bring in many people to testify due to the scope of the case.

Starting March 20, a jury selection process will begin. Judge Werner said he aims to bring in 75 jurors a day for a total of 110 jurors over a span of 11 to 15 days. Seven to ten jurors of the 75 would be qualified. He expects to lose about 25% to 30% of this pool of qualified jurors.

Judge Werner said he intends to have 12 jurors and six additional alternates for the trial. To protect the identities of the jurors, the trial will only have live audio streaming and will be addressed by juror seat number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member