Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, Lorson Ranch, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *endangered* #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
MOO
Best guess is that he was like any kid from a home like this and LS said no so he was trying to get his dad's approval. Kids try stuff like that all the time.

Maybe. I dunno. I would think that in a family where one parent is away a lot that this would not be the dynamic. She is in the home so she would be the decider. She also called dad when he "didn't return home after dark." Doesn't she know his friend's names and numbers? Something seems up--maybe a split between the two adults or a "he's your kid so you deal with him" kind of deal. She's working out but wouldn't expect Gannon to say good-bye or be surprised by it. I am betting there has been some abuse history or major parenting split on discipline which made it so that she was not "allowed" to manage him.

Is it odd to anyone besides me that Gannon had to text his dad who is 2 states away to ask if he can play at X or Y friend's house? I get talking to each other every day and being hands on. In my house, if I am not home, my kids would ask my spouse. Why would Gannon not ask his step-mother but call/text dad, especially since dad is away so much? Was dad concerned with her judgment? Is it a family control issue--"you raise your kid and I raise mine" kind of thing? It just is odd to me that the person in the home is not the one who is asked.

Yes!! I’m with you.

We don’t have gun registration in Colorado, but even if we did, if this involves any firearm in the home, she’s the one that had access to it. Along with the truck. The father was not even in the state.

I honestly don’t think she set anyone up but Gannon. According to her, it’s his fault that he’s gone. I personally think she hanged herself early on and the video is just punctuation.

I also agree she set up Gannon up but if this was intentional and I do believe it was, there's no disputing how badly it would hurt Gannon's parents. I think it goes beyond wanting to hurt Gannon. JMO
We don’t have gun registration in Colorado, but even if we did, if this involves any firearm in the home, she’s the one that had access to it. Along with the truck. The father was not even in the state.

I honestly don’t think she set anyone up but Gannon. According to her, it’s his fault that he’s gone. I personally think she hanged herself early on and the video is just punctuation.

Someone here mentioned that LS was carrying a bag or package out in the truck at the beginning of the video, went back to see what they meant. MOO, between 0 and 6 seconds in the video she can be seen taking a long object in a case or bag around the front of the truck as she goes out to it in the street. MOO similar size and shape evidence bag was taken from the house on the first search.

Attachments

• evi.jpg
    evi.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Hello fellow sleuthers ...

I'm in the UK, I don't tend to follow too many non uk cases, usually because stories don't make many waves over here unless they're big stories - Nathan o'Brien & Grandparents in Canada, the Watts family in America etc.

So, I only heard the name 'Gannon Stauch' yesterday ... I've done as much reading on threads as I can (I'm in the middle of moving house) and really hoping someone here will be kind enough to fill me in on known facts.

Who reported Gannon missing, stepmom?
Is there any evidence that he actually left to go to friends house? Friends say so?

I've seen the cctv from the neighbour, if Gannon was seen at home after red truck returned then surely that would also be on someone's cctv?

I've watched the interview of stepmother with back to camera and she speaks of Gannon often in past tense ... this doesn't always indicate guilt BUT it certainly set of alarm bells for me in this instance.

What is the carpet theory/information?

Stepmother rented a car the day he went missing?

Gannon needs daily medication? Do we know what & why?

Is he the kind of kid to 'run away' ? Any word from his teachers?

I can recall a couple of cases where someone has several kids and is a 'good parent' to all but one - there'll be one child who they just seem to be resentful of and treat differently.

We had a case in Scotland - Mikaeel Kular 3 years old, beaten regularly by mother until 1 day it was enough to kill him. No such treatment for her other kids.

Do we have any locals here who live in Gannons area? What is the feeling there?
So I think you have some rumors in there, or atleast things that I believe are rumors.

The rental car and carpet, fit into that category (as far as I’m aware).

As far as we know (and congruent with the cctv footage of the stepmom and Gannon), he was never spotted on cctv footage. He was also not spotted by any witnesses.

The only support for Gannon leaving to go to a friend’s house, is the mom’s word. That footage seems to have destroyed her narrative, as how can a kid go to a friend’s house when he didn’t even return home from their drive?

As far as we know, Gannon had no history of running away. That story never made sense, and became more unlikely with each passing day.

Most kids tend to take things with them, and return fairly quickly. It rarely goes on for a prolonged period of time, especially with everyone looking for them.

Another rumor, albeit one that seems credible, is that Gannon apparently made a Google search asking if a parent could find him if his phone was off.

Convenient. Way too convenient.

I agree, I think this woman likely resented Gannon, as she clearly was bitter over being forced to care for him (her words basically).

I think he was the proverbial “red-headed stepchild,” atleast when daddy wasn’t around.

exactly. as soon as I read that quote, it was case closed for me. and compared with the organic emotion and appropriate expressions from the bio mom, the difference between innocent and guilty, selfish, bitter, and vindictive was perfectly clear.
Bio dad's sadness is mixed with guilt and shame for leaving GS with LS.

When I heard LS interview, my first thought was that there is no way she kept the bitterness she felt about having “that boy” for two years to herself. She had to have complained to his dad about him. I wonder if he has said anything to LE about how she treated Gannon. Do we know why mom gave them up two years ago?

Thanks!! Interesting. Why wouldn’t he just ask SM?

Maybe because SM didn't want to be responsible for giving Gannon the go ahead to play. That way, if anything went wrong, God Forbid, she wouldn't be responsible for giving the Okay! It especially makes sense if LS was using Gannon's phone to text dad on his behalf, while pretending to be Gannon.
MOO

Maybe because SM didn't want to be responsible for giving Gannon the go ahead to play. That way, if anything went wrong, God Forbid, she wouldn't be responsible for giving the Okay! It especially makes sense if LS was using Gannon's phone to text dad on his behalf. MOO
True. Although I think the most important part of that was building the narrative.

He was home, he was alive, and he went out to play.

Then of course, “he ran away.”

What I think about it is that it’s a SC case that has resulted in various other Supreme Court cases and a multitude of various state cases that have reinterpreted and interpreted third party consent laws, that it’s very tricky and exceedingly complex and that it does not enable a third party to give consent to search personal property that is someone else’s on their own property.

So to break it down, let’s say LE wanted to search the house to see if they could find Gannon or any note he left. If the homeowner gave permission, fine. But what if they find blood evidence on the floor of the bathroom while looking for Gannon or a note of his? Still probably fine.

However, let’s say they really want to investigate the electronics in the home to see, in part, what SM might have been up to. Dad gives consent. Still okay? Maybe. Who owns the electronics? Communal computer? Maybe okay. A laptop owned by SM? Hey, it’s in the house dad owns and he gave valid consent to search. So it’s okay, right?

No. That wouldn’t be allowed.

Any property of hers that is not common property cannot withstand a fourth amendment challenge based on third party, no warrant consent.

What if they wanted to search for DNA/blood evidence? Blood evidence in a drain trap if dad gives consent? Probably fine. Searching SM's clothes or jewelry or shoes for DNA/blood evidence? Not fine. That's not going to withstand a fourth amendment challenge. That's because:

"Where a third party (rather than the subject of the search) communicates consent, the search is invalid unless the third party has the authority to consent to the particular search at issue." Stoner v. California, 376 U.S. 483, 487–90 (1964).

He may have authority to consent to a warrantless search of common areas in the home but not of her personal belongings. And it is very clear that the focus of LE is on SM as the POI. It is naive to suggest they aren't combing through her clothing, personal effects, phones, vehicles, computers and they aren't doing that without a warrant.

And it makes no sense for them to do so because they can EASILY get a warrant for such a search. SM being shown on surveillance camera leaving the home with Gannon that morning but returning without him BEFORE she says he left the home to go to a nameless friend's house is probable cause to believe a crime related to his disappearance has occurred.

Bottom line - this IS a criminal investigation into the disappearance of Gannon Stauch. Search warrants were obtained. That's procedure in a case like this.
Plus, it's not like it would have been difficult to get a warrant. All the lies she told to LE pretty much sealed the deal.
JMO

As KRDO NewsChannel 13 reported Wednesday, it is the policy of the Sheriff's Office to investigate reports of missing children aged 10 and older as runaways, until evidence is found to prove an abduction or kidnapping has taken place.
Authorities say Gannon Stauch 'missing and endangered' after days gone - KRDO

Timeline

The timeline from the moment Gannon was reported missing to the decision to upgrade the preteen to an endangered missing child was outlined by the sheriff's office as followed:

Monday, Jan. 27
- 6:55 p.m., El Paso County Sheriff's Office dispatch receives call of runaway child, 6600 Block Mandan Drive.
- 7:32 p.m., Gannon Stauch entered into state and national databases as active runaway
- Last seen between 3 and 4 p.m. on the 27th
- Nothing found on initial search

Tuesday, Jan. 28
- 12:29 p.m., case turned over to EPSO investigators
- Detectives conduct interviews, collect surveillance, follow up on additional leads

Wednesday, Jan. 29
- Investigation continues

Thursday, Jan. 30
- Upgrade case from runaway to endangered missing child
- EPSO requests resources from NCMEC and FBI Crimes Abduction Rapid Deployment Team

Mynatt said Tuesday that investigators were looking at every part of the timeline step by step
ENDANGERED: 11-year-old Colorado boy has been missing for more than 1 week; authorities search for evidence in pond

That’s a bad policy.

Hello fellow sleuthers ...

I can recall a couple of cases where someone has several kids and is a 'good parent' to all but one - there'll be one child who they just seem to be resentful of and treat differently.

We had a case in Scotland - Mikaeel Kular 3 years old, beaten regularly by mother until 1 day it was enough to kill him. No such treatment for her other kids.

SBM!

Hello and welcome!
I wanted to point out that this is actually quite common in child abuse cases. Abusive mothers totally can treat their other children normally while singling out one child for abuse, neglect, isolation, and/or torture. This could be why it can be hard to tell sometimes if someone is abused, not only by the family putting on a show of love in public. But even in private, they may have 3 kids, 2 of whom get nice good meals, jokes & encouragement, tucks & kisses goodnight, and everything a child should have. Meanwhile, child 3 gets a sneer, no dinner, and maybe if he/she's lucky, they'll get to sleep on an actual bed tonight because friends are over and we want to pretend we're normal! It's very sad.

Snipped:
After the hike, a lunch at Burger King. What followed the lunch, Stauch told Wilson she could not get into because investigators told her not to talk about it for now.

SO she can talk about the hike on Sunday but after lunch is apparently off limits. How convenient.

IMO whatever she told LE about Sunday led them to believe Gannon being a run-away was a viable option. (and yes I posted above that LE policy is anyone above 10 is investigated as such) BUT what bolstered this belief. The "Easter Egg" search on his phone and whatever tale she wove.

IF she did plant the search what else could she have planted in the house to misdirect the investigation away from her? I know the million dollar question.....
That’s a bad policy.
Yes. I was appalled. I had to read it twice. My jaw dropped. Include any misdirection by a step-mom = valuable time lost. They are not joking when they say parallel investigations.

ETA: MOO

What I think about it is that it’s a SC case that has resulted in various other Supreme Court cases and a multitude of various state cases that have reinterpreted and interpreted third party consent laws, that it’s very tricky and exceedingly complex and that it does not enable a third party to give consent to search personal property that is someone else’s on their own property.

So to break it down, let’s say LE wanted to search the house to see if they could find Gannon or any note he left. If the homeowner gave permission, fine. But what if they find blood evidence on the floor of the bathroom while looking for Gannon or a note of his? Still probably fine.

However, let’s say they really want to investigate the electronics in the home to see, in part, what SM might have been up to. Dad gives consent. Still okay? Maybe. Who owns the electronics? Communal computer? Maybe okay. A laptop owned by SM? Hey, it’s in the house dad owns and he gave valid consent to search. So it’s okay, right?

No. That wouldn’t be allowed.

Any property of hers that is not common property cannot withstand a fourth amendment challenge based on third party, no warrant consent.

What if they wanted to search for DNA/blood evidence? Blood evidence in a drain trap if dad gives consent? Probably fine. Searching SM's clothes or jewelry or shoes for DNA/blood evidence? Not fine. That's not going to withstand a fourth amendment challenge. That's because:

"Where a third party (rather than the subject of the search) communicates consent, the search is invalid unless the third party has the authority to consent to the particular search at issue." Stoner v. California, 376 U.S. 483, 487–90 (1964).

He may have authority to consent to a warrantless search of common areas in the home but not of her personal belongings. And it is very clear that the focus of LE is on SM as the POI. It is naive to suggest they aren't combing through her clothing, personal effects, phones, vehicles, computers and they aren't doing that without a warrant.

And it makes no sense for them to do so because they can EASILY get a warrant for such a search. SM being shown on surveillance camera leaving the home with Gannon that morning but returning without him BEFORE she says he left the home to go to a nameless friend's house is probable cause to believe a crime related to his disappearance has occurred.

Bottom line - this IS a criminal investigation into the disappearance of Gannon Stauch. Search warrants were obtained. That's procedure in a case like this.

Thanks for the comprehensive response. Appreciated! :)

Is it odd to anyone besides me that Gannon had to text his dad who is 2 states away to ask if he can play at X or Y friend's house? I get talking to each other every day and being hands on. In my house, if I am not home, my kids would ask my spouse. Why would Gannon not ask his step-mother but call/text dad, especially since dad is away so much? Was dad concerned with her judgment? Is it a family control issue--"you raise your kid and I raise mine" kind of thing? It just is odd to me that the person in the home is not the one who is asked.

Assuming other parts of the story are true, maybe she said no because he was home sick, so he thought he'd try dad. Or maybe she told him to to try dad and if dad said ok he could go? She's only had a relationship with this child for a couple of years, sounds like. And it also sounds like there's quite a bit of friction -- as isn't entirely unheard of in "blended families" with kids in that age group. Especially one who apparently doesn't see his bio mom much, if at all, in person. I can easily see a "well, ask your dad" or "well, I'll ask my dad" situation.

Plus, it's not like it would have been difficult to get a warrant. All the lies she told to LE pretty much sealed the deal.
JMO

Yes. Easy to get and not worth the risk to not get it.

I mean let’s say SM and Gannon’s dad BOTH consented to a full search. And evidence was found. Did everyone hear how cunning SM is? How she used every single factor possible to show she was pressured into involuntary statements in violation of her constitutional rights?

Let me seque for a moment. I should point out that that probably means she’s either had extensive dealings with the criminal justice system in the past and has had legal advice about confessions or she has talked to an attorney recently about this case.

If the latter and after her interviews, they must’ve asked what she told the cops. They then probably would’ve told her that her statements look bad and incriminate her. So the next step is they ask her a series of questions to see if they could exclude such statements as inadmissible due to a violation of certain constitutional rights.

Did you feel like you were free to leave?
Did they allow you to have food or water?
Did they give you a break?
Did you ask for an attorney? Because if you did they have to stop talking to you. Did they stop talking after that? (Standard questions to test the legitimacy of how incriminating evidence was gathered.

She pretty much went through every possible reason to exclude incriminatory statements except physical force. But she eluded to that in her “the cops pulled their guns on me and my daughter while executing a warrant” tale. (And I hope no one believes that the cops wildly pulled guns on these two for no reason).

That’s because she’s worried about what she said and knows she needs to give any future defense counsel something to hang their hat on.

Which brings me back to the point. If someone consents they can later argue that they were pressured or forced, etc. They can make up a story. We all know the cops aren’t looking at dad but what if he was the bad guy? And they got his consent to search, found good evidence but he caused a problem and stated there was no valid consent and some judge believed it?

This is why search warrants are procedure for LE in big cases. It’s not a “I found weed in your car”, vehicle stop kind of deal. This is probably murder.

They’re getting warrants.

I know people are speaking about similarities with the Kyron Horman case but there's another case that I am getting vibes about and it still hasn't been "solved" as such. (I really don't want to say any further but wanted to put it out there). JMO. I pray I am very wrong.
Roman in Placerville, Ca?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members