VERDICT WATCH CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, found deceased, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *Arrest* #67

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in the courtroom for closing arguments in the #LeteciaStauchtrial

Judge is in the courtroom. #LeteciaStauch is too.

Jury not in the courtroom yet. Attorneys and judge going through some logistics with jury instructions.

Jury will be brought in around 9 am. Judge guessing closing arguments will start at 10ish. Closings and possibly rebuttal after lunch. Prosecution hopes to get through rebuttal before lunch. No time limit on closings. Judge guesses jury instructions will take 40 minutes.

Jury is now in the courtroom. Clarifying on my tweet earlier, closings should be before lunch. Rebuttals may be before or after lunch. Nothing set in stone. Will live tweet it all.

Defense has rested in #LeteciaStauchTrial

Prosecution does not have rebuttal evidence following defense resting.

Judge is reading jury instructions.

The jury can pick guilty, not guilty or not guilty for reason of insanity for the following charges: Murder-1st degree - after deliberation Murder-1st degree - child under 12 position of trust Tampering w/ a deceased human body Tampering w/ physical evidence

Court is in recess until 10:05 am

YES! Very much so. County jail is much worse & harder than state prison. Depending on the actual prison of course. But she might get a TV in her cell and she will be able to socialize with others. I imagine she will have a group of "friends" in prison and be able to amuse herself there. Ugh.
I think I've heard that she would be in solitary for at least a while, for her own safety. So no socializing.

While jurors are being read the detailed instructions - Lorson Ranch neighbors show their support for #GannonStauch. I remember when this corner of grass was flooded with blue lights and such - in the days & weeks following his disappearance on Jan. 27, 2020.
This is so awesome of that community. Wish i could be there and thank them. I pray she is found guilty since she is.

Coming in late I didn’t understand when the jury will get to deliberate? did the judge say the day will end at noon or did I misunderstand? I hope he isn’t making them wait until Monday.

Back in court for what could be the final day of Letecia Stauch's trial, were we should have closing statements coming sometime soon. I'll be tweeting updates throughout the day here for the
@csgazette, as well as covering the verdict whenever that comes.

Attorneys are reviewing some jury instruction stuff with Judge Werner, already a very crowded courtroom this morning.

Jury will be called in at 9, closings are going to start at "10ish" after jury instructions, with an expectation that prosecution's rebuttal may happen after lunch.

As the court takes a short break before jury instructions and closings, Letecia Stauch is the quietest person in a packed courtroom. She has been reserved, scrolling through a laptop and looking around briefly.

Jury is back in court, defense has just rested its case.

Judge is now reviewing jury instructions, Stauch is still reading something on a laptop as Werner goes through the instructions.

Jury instructions complete, quick break and then we are moving on to closing arguments.

NOW: I’m in #ColoradoSprings for what’s expected to be the final day of trial for the woman accused of killing her 11-year-old stepson, #GannonStauch. We just walked inside the courtroom. #LeteciaStauch is wearing a blue jacket today.

Judge Gregory Werner just walked in, right after defense attorneys Josh Tolini and Will Cook. The entire

@4thJudicialDA
team is here too. The jury is not in the courtroom. The judge says we need to discuss jury instruction after an email he got this morning.

"Because this is a request for an instruction on evidence that wasn't actually presented," the judge doesn't think he can give one. "I know what the issue is," he says. "I can't make a stipulation, and can't tell the jury what evidence hasn't been presented.”

It sounds as though that was in relation to a request from the defense, but I could not hear what Tolini was saying to the judge. Now, clarifying verdict forms with the Lead Prosecutor and District Attorney, Michael Allen.

Going through today, I feel it's important to remember: #GannonStauch was an 11-year-old boy who lived in Lorson Ranch (southern El Paso County). He loved his little sister, was a fan of Sonic the Hedgehog, and his favorite color was blue.

The judge says the plan, after finishing jury instructions, is to bring jurors in around 9 AM. Prosecutors and defense anticipate their closing arguments lasting an hour each. Those should start around 10. A lunch break will likely happen after closings, then rebuttal.

Sounds like there will be NO rebuttal after closings. #LeteciaStauch, who I am sitting behind, is looking closely at documents on a computer screen. Court is in recess until around 9.

A clarification on this - NO rebuttal evidence is what I should have said. DA Michael Allen says they will have a rebuttal. My apologies.

Judge Werner is back in the courtroom. Jury is in the room too. It's a packed house today - with lots of members of the public in here. The defense rests their case. We move on to jury instructions, then closing arguments.

While jurors are being read the detailed instructions - Lorson Ranch neighbors show their support for #GannonStauch. I remember when this corner of grass was flooded with blue lights and such - in the days & weeks following his disappearance on Jan. 27, 2020.

The judge referenced the instruction added this morning. It's about a WebEx meeting an attorney had with #LeteciaStauch at the start of the pandemic, while she was in jail - later that day, she had a conversation with Dr. Mohr about #GannonStauch's body being found in Florida.

Court is in recess for around 15 minutes. Jury has been read all their instructions. Closing arguments are next.

The murder trial for #LeteciaStauch continues this morning. The defense is expected to rest their case, and closing arguments are expected as well. I’ll be in the courtroom bringing you the latest information throughout the day.

We've been let into the courtroom. So far it's a full gallery. Gannon's family is not here yet. Letecia Stauch's attorneys just walked into the courtroom and patted her on the shoulder.

The council is reviewing jury instructions right now. There’s been discussion about a request for instruction on evidence that wasn’t actually presented. From what I’m understanding, I believe this is about the discussed jail visit for Stauch during the beginning of the pandemic.

Judge Gregory Werner will give jury instructions soon. The judge expects closing arguments to begin around 10 a.m., and take up to an hour for each side, and then a rebuttal close from prosecution.

Gannon Stauch's family has arrived. His father Al Stauch, and mother Landen Hiott, are among those in the courtroom.

Right now, Stauch is talking to her attorneys. She's wearing a teal color today.

Jurors are now in the courtroom.

The defense has rested their case, which means they have presented all the evidence in their case. Prosecutors do not have any rebuttal evidence.

Jury instructions are being handed out to the jurors. The judge is explaining how closing arguments will go. Jurors have also been told they will not be able to leave the building today.

All the jurors are looking down at their instructions right now, and listening intently to Judge Werner.

Among the charges Letecia Stauch is facing are murder in the first degree, child abuse resulting in death, tampering with a deceased human body, and tampering with physical evidence for the death of Gannon Stauch that occurred on or about January 27, 2020.

I am sitting directly behind Letecia Stauch and the defense table. I can see Stauch looking at the jury instructions on a laptop that is sitting in front of her.

Among the charges #LeteciaStauch is facing: - Murder in the first degree after deliberation - Murder in the first degree of a child under 12, position of trust - Tampering with a deceased human body - Tampering with physical evidence

Stauch is pleading not guilty by reason of insanity. Judge Werner is going over the instructions of how jurors will also be answering the question of Stauch being sane or not insane as the crimes were committed.

Judge Werner said if Stauch is found not guilty by reason of insanity, Stauch will go to the Department of Human Services, until she no longer requires hospitalization or suffers from a mental disease or defect.

Jury instructions also state that if Stauch is found not guilty by reason of insanity, she will not be tried on these charges again.

The court is in recess until 10:05 a.m.

lol, when the judge just said "all rise for the jury" I was also talking to my daughter and actually almost stood up!
That's funny and I'm glad I'm not the only one wrapped up in this! Last night I was outside checking the bird feeders and I swore I heard Judge Werner's voice. Mind you, we live in the country so we don't have neighbors that close. I never would admit this anywhere but here in fear of people thinking I've lost it! :D

EBM...typos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member