CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, found deceased, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *Arrest* #68

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just keep in mind that they have to deliberate upon 5 charges. A reasonable jury can take this to mean: actually go over shared understanding of the facts and then poll themselves - for each charge. The evidence tampering alone could take time (vs. the body tampering). I can't remember the 5th charge, but then they have two kinds of First Degree Murder (and I didn't hear any instruction saying she couldn't be guilty of both).

One is pre-meditated murder; the other is child under 12/trusted adult. I think the second one might be easy to deliberate - but if the jury doesn't at least take the time to distinguish and give separate polls on those two, I'd be surprised.

IMO.
It could very well be this.

Like I previously mentioned, I sat on a jury here recently and we took around 5hrs~ for a week long case.

I think we had a very thorough jury everyone wanted to read every charged and go over the legal definitions of what that actually meant and not what we perceived it to mean. So that could be the case.

We did also have the 1 infamous member who wanted to battle every thing and kept making up stories what she believed happened. Also none of it even remotely fit the evidence or even what the own defense was saying. It was bizarre. After awhile we had to be like evidence only no made up stories LOL

After watching the same trial that they have I am baffled as to why ANYBODY would need longer than 4 hours to reach a verdict.

I reckon it's one juror holding out on something stupid that just needs more clarification... Or that's what I'm hoping.

If they don't come back with guilty on all counts by 10am Monday, every bit of faith in people that I have will be lost.

Gannon's poor family having a weekend of hell. Lie bag will be relishing in it.

Because there are five different charges, with different evidence needed for each. Frankly, if I were on the jury, I'd be sure and have my notes reflect that I asked questions about each charge and properly used evidence for each.

That's just me. But it would slow some people down, for sure. Some jurors want it over ASAP. I want it done right. The two different murder charges need to have different evidence (the under 12/parent one is easy for me). I am convinced there is plenty of evidence of pre-meditation, as well, but I'd want my deliberation notes to reflect that before they go to the Judge (and a possible Appellate Court).

Wouldn't you? I know we're all baffled - but we watched the trial from home and saw lots that the jury didn't (they don't have several pairs of eyes, to be watching LS, AS, the two defense lawyers, the judge and the witnesses). I can see all of that in one glance on my computer.

I TOTALLY AGREE with you that if they don't come back with 5 guilty verdicts on Monday, I'll be devastated. OTOH, I've interviewed juries where there were weird compromises (and was on a jury with the same issue). No one needs to be convicted of TWO first degree murders (guilty! - going away for life with just one) and those who are thinking maybe she's a Sad Sack Psycho case can feel that at least their own conscience is in consideration.

My big question is what happens if she's found NGRI on Count 1, but not on the other four. She'll go to prison to serve her term for the four convictions and THEN to Pueblo State MH? Or the other way around? (I suppose "the other way around" makes more sense from a psychiatric point of view).

But I've interviewed jurors where one juror was kind of a hold-out, but was brought into the fold of unanimity by dropping one charge/finding one charge NG. I've never interviewed anyone on a NGRI case, though.

IMO.

Didn't they have till 7 pm today? And they're leaving at 5?
What does that mean...hopefully not that somebody is super obstinate & not budging.
Or ..that they've come to a decision but want to "sleep on it" or know they can't fill out everything in the next 2 hours and then go back into the courtroom? Maybe they want to discuss more, but are generally in agreement?

Ugh. I feel bad for Gannon's family.

JURY GOING HOME #LeteciaStauchTrial

No verdict yet.

TRIAL WATCHERS WAIT FOR VERDICT IN STAUCH TRIAL​

The jury began deliberating the fate of Letecia Stauch, who has pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity for the murder of her stepson, Gannon. (5/5/23) MORE
Dang, I thought the jury was going to 7 pm.

I know this is not a lot in the grand scheme of things but I really want to say, can we take a moment to remember that Gannon has two little sisters that he loved, and that loved him back, I keep seeing posts for Landen, Al and Laina, but not his littlest sister who lost him too.

Because there are five different charges, with different evidence needed for each. Frankly, if I were on the jury, I'd be sure and have my notes reflect that I asked questions about each charge and properly used evidence for each.

That's just me. But it would slow some people down, for sure. Some jurors want it over ASAP. I want it done right. The two different murder charges need to have different evidence (the under 12/parent one is easy for me). I am convinced there is plenty of evidence of pre-meditation, as well, but I'd want my deliberation notes to reflect that before they go to the Judge (and a possible Appellate Court).

Wouldn't you? I know we're all baffled - but we watched the trial from home and saw lots that the jury didn't (they don't have several pairs of eyes, to be watching LS, AS, the two defense lawyers, the judge and the witnesses). I can see all of that in one glance on my computer.

I TOTALLY AGREE with you that if they don't come back with 5 guilty verdicts on Monday, I'll be devastated. OTOH, I've interviewed juries where there were weird compromises (and was on a jury with the same issue). No one needs to be convicted of TWO first degree murders (guilty! - going away for life with just one) and those who are thinking maybe she's a Sad Sack Psycho case can feel that at least their own conscience is in consideration.

My big question is what happens if she's found NGRI on Count 1, but not on the other four. She'll go to prison to serve her term for the four convictions and THEN to Pueblo State MH? Or the other way around? (I suppose "the other way around" makes more sense from a psychiatric point of view).

But I've interviewed jurors where one juror was kind of a hold-out, but was brought into the fold of unanimity by dropping one charge/finding one charge NG. I've never interviewed anyone on a NGRI case, though.

IMO.
You're the voice of reason. I thought it was going to be a quick verdict.

Didn't they have till 7 pm today? Are they're leaving at 5?
What does that mean...hopefully not that somebody is super obstinate & not budging.
Or ..that they've come to a decision but want to "sleep on it" or know they can't fill out everything in the next 2 hours and then go back into the courtroom? Maybe they want to discuss more, but are generally in agreement?

Ugh. I feel bad for Gannon's family.

I think they were informed that they had until 7:00 p.m., but I believe they severely needed a massive break.

JMVHO

I've just spoken to my boyfriend who I've been yapping on about trial to for the past 5 weeks and he said to me like this -

Ok so they break for deliberations, go to the bathroom/smoke/take a stretch etc... Then they have to eat... Whilst eating they start talking about all the off the wall things that they've seen. They haven't been allowed to talk to each other until this point so can imagine them going over all of the dramatic and "crazy" things they've seen and heard like "oh did you hear this bit" "do you remember when loopy Dr Lewis reached into her Mary Poppins bag"... 12 jurors would barely get 20 minutes each in the time that they took tonight. They then after chatting realise that they have a job to do but oh damn look at the time gonna have to come back Monday!

It's a possibility

Oh - don't go there! It's possible that they started up on one charge (such as tampering with evidence) and took the opportunity for everyone to state what they remember of the evidence.

That can take some time. Hopefully they polled themselves at least once. It's true that one person could slow this down, maybe by just wanting to be convinced by the others. They may have already agreed on a couple of the charges!

By Monday, they may find it even more easy to agree.

[Always an optimist, I guess]
I understand and appreciate everything you wrote. Your opinion means a lot to me as I hold a high regard for you (always have). I know you are right. And I truly hope some day to become as optimistic and wise as you. But right now, I just need to cry.

((Thank you))

I know this is not a lot in the grand scheme of things but I really want to say, can we take a moment to remember that Gannon has two little sisters that he loved, and that loved him back, I keep seeing posts for Landen, Al and Laina, but not his littlest sister who lost him too.
He has a big sister, too, if not by birth. She testified to try to help him, the only way she could.

And he has a little sib, a babe in arms, who will only ever know him through photographs and videos and family stories.

Four children, bereaved by the loss of this beautiful boy.

MOO

Last edited:
Were the judge's instructions to the jury posted anywhere? I have just been reading here and may have missed it if someone posted?

Also, they have an entire separate room set up with the exhibits, correct? Does the jury have free access to anything in there or do they have to request it be brought to the deliberation room or ...? Would the public know if they did that or only if they have specific questions sent to the judge?

I knew the Murdaugh verdict would be very quick and it was. I had been undecided on this one so didn't post a guess on deliberation time. While we have talked a lot about mental health, various mental states and diagnoses, the jury has not had the benefit of these types of discussions. And while it seems pretty obious to us, I wonder if there are a couple of jurors who really don't know which experts and which lawyers are telling the truth? There were sure lots of ideas tossed out about various disorders and I could see a couple of people not knowing whether or not they fall under the umbrella of "insanity".

MOO.

Just speaking to an old friend of ours, and she made a really good point. Letecia thinks she has a chance at this point, which means when the verdict comes, it will be all that more soul crushing.

It could very well be this.

Like I previously mentioned, I sat on a jury here recently and we took around 5hrs~ for a week long case.

I think we had a very thorough jury everyone wanted to read every charged and go over the legal definitions of what that actually meant and not what we perceived it to mean. So that could be the case.

We did also have the 1 infamous member who wanted to battle every thing and kept making up stories what she believed happened. Also none of it even remotely fit the evidence or even what the own defense was saying. It was bizarre. After awhile we had to be like evidence only no made up stories LOL

Isn't that interesting? That "one person" can usually be brought round. Although, in some cases we also know that the one "combative/battling" juror can result in hung jury. (OH, Please Lord/Lady, do not let that happen!)

What I do know about people like T. is that any proceeding or event or relationship they are ever involved in...is fraught with problems, mainly "oppositional" behavior. Narcissistic behavior. Narcissistic PD is so rampant (per research) that it wouldn't be surprising if one person is using this case for attention (and may have been "triggered" by Letecia's taped interviews). There are other PD's with similar symptoms (T. has bits of all of them - which is what psychopathy seems to be).

I fear that one person who identifies with T. could be disruptive (obviously). But I do not think that's likely in this jury, in this trial.

I can wait until Monday for Justice and bless the jury for taking their job seriously.

IMO.

I understand and appreciate everything you wrote. Your opinion means a lot to me as I hold a high regard for you (always have). I know you are right. And I truly hope some day to become as optimistic and wise as you. But right now, I just need to cry.

((Thank you))
We can cry together.

I put on my big girl pants and made myself eat a sandwich, because I hadn't eaten all day, but once that goes down, I'm going to pull out a tub of ice cream, eat it straight out of the tub with a spoon, and salt it with my tears.

Then I'm going to watch nothing but something frivolous and easy, like Bake Off, for two days, and sleep as much as I need to, so that I can be back here, 9am sharp, on Monday morning (1am Tuesday, my time). Because there is nothing else I can do.

This is the hard part. It's an illusion that's easy to believe that by following the case and then the trial that we could somehow control it. But this is what it's always been about. Twelve people in a room, finding the truth on behalf of all of us. We are powerless, and that is confronting. All we can do is hope, and trust. And pray, if that's your thing. Only they can do this, and it was always going to be that way.

I wish them all the strength, insight, and determination that they need to reach that verdict.

MOO

Just speaking to an old friend of ours, and she made a really good point. Letecia thinks she has a chance at this point, which means when the verdict comes, it will be all that more soul crushing.
LOL

I was just thinking, you know this probably put hope into letecia's mind. She is probably skipping back to the jail and telling all her jail mates she's going free.

Only to be hit with the reality on Monday, ha.

I'm not mad.

Unfortunately, jurors have the burden of the social media machine that will outlive their memory of this trial and may be hesitant for the "clock watchers." That's a lot of pressure. This is about a little boy that lost his life.

I'm trusting they want to sleep on the hours and weeks of efforts and will return the verdict first thing Monday morning. Or so I hope.

You are so wise. yes - after FINALLY getting to start deliberation, they heard things from others that will either bolster their own view and make them feel right about things, OR they found that they were in a minority.

All of this matters. That's why it's called "deliberation." It's such a sober experience for the jury. I will say that I'm certain that the jury could **never** come up with a unanimous NGRI (unless things are so awry in our society that that could happen). Nope. Someone like one of us on WS would be the hold-out. Or the thousands responding to polls across America.

Sleeping on things is good. I thought the Murdaugh jury was mega-fast (and lots of SM said the same thing).

The jury appears to be actually deliberating. That's good, in the long run - that's Justice. They do not know all that we know, but they know most of it - what legally matters.

IMO.

I agree with everything you all have said, and have also been thinking that logistics could play into it too, there were at least a couple of jurors who said they had school age kids, they maybe don't have the ability to stay past 5 if they need to be home for them, same goes for family in the gallery waiting, Mr Allen mentioned childcare, maybe Judge Werner sent the jury home because if they went on much past 5, or on to 7, it would be more difficult for the family to be back in court by the time a verdict was ready and then the 30 min wait etc.
I don't know it that's possible, it's just an idea.

I swear, I was literally just thinking that same thing. I want her to get her hopes up and be absolutely crushed by justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roberts1979