CO - Gym teacher accused of assaulting student who refused to stand for Pledge

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, won't stand for the pledge, then stand in hall with nose and toes against the wall.

is there a war and a draft coming up?.....not that i know of.....the people you speak of HAD REASON....exactly my point....these people have no clue why they are doing it....tell me what reason a middle school child could have for refusing to stand?....and don't give me BS like because they are tired from playing video games all night....these kids are just following what they are seeing in the media, and what athletes are doing, and have no reason for doing what they are doing

In recent times, the kneeling started in response to police brutality. From my observation, the kneelers are aware of why they are kneeling. jmo

Plus, where is this information coming from that a student in this case knelt?? Got a link for that or is this an assumption?

jmo

is there a war and a draft coming up?.....not that i know of.....the people you speak of HAD REASON....exactly my point....these people have no clue why they are doing it....tell me what reason a middle school child could have for refusing to stand?....and don't give me BS like because they are tired from playing video games all night....these kids are just following what they are seeing in the media, and what athletes are doing, and have no reason for doing what they are doing

<modsnip> It's democracy. They can choose to not stand up for any reason they wish or none at all. They're not harming anyone, they're not being violent or threatening,

They're not breaking any laws.

<modsnip>

<modsnip> It's democracy. They can choose to not stand up for any reason they wish or none at all. They're not harming anyone, they're not being violent or threatening,

They're not breaking any laws.

<modsnip>

It's not democracy. It's called civil disobedience Bettty.

Civil disobedience is part of democracy, part of the Bill of Rights. There is no law requiring people to stand for the pledge or national anthem.

Where is the source of information about what the student did or the motives of the student? I'm not finding anything - please let me know what you're finding and reacting to!

Thanks.

Civil disobedience is part of democracy, part of the Bill of Rights. There is no law requiring people to stand for the pledge or national anthem.
OTOH, there's a law against assault.

The teacher willfully broke the law.

The student exercised his constitutional right.

<modsnip>

You forgot that by the Constitution, a student can not be forced to stand for the pledge
http://education.findlaw.com/studen...giance-and-legal-challenges-in-education.html

Assaulting a student for not standing for the pledge is criminal. Truly patriots obey the Constitution and the law.

Meaning they don't force a student to take the pledge and they don't think it's ok for teachers to assault a student because said student exercise a constitutional right.

A true patriot knows it, or ought to know it.

Where is the source of information about what the student did or the motives of the student? I'm not finding anything - please let me know what you're finding and reacting to!

Thanks.

That's a good question. Was this student exercising his right or just being a smart *advertiser censored**, and trying to push the teachers buttons maybe for a law suit or something?

So a middle school student is not old/ mature enough to grasp the concept behind civil disobedience to speak out (possibly) against racism, yet is capable of trying to manipulate a teacher in order to get a law suit out of it?!!!
Middle school students are old enough to be treated unfairly by law enforcement and authority figures unfortunately, and to understand right and wrong, and civil rights. I would applaud my children for standing up for what they believe is right.
What the teacher allegedly did is wrong. Legally.
I wish more people were capable of educating themselves and trying to see things from different perspectives. You don't have to agree with the other side to seek to understand them.

That's a good question. Was this student exercising his right or just being a smart *advertiser censored**, and trying to push the teachers buttons maybe for a law suit or something?

Or maybe the teacher has a hot temper and is looking for reasons to be offended.

The point is, we don't know exactly what happened other than a teacher is accused of assaulting a student.

<modsnip>

jmo jmo jmo

Oh my God! HOW DARE A TEACHER HAND OUT SOME DISIPLINE.

You know I went to school, and if my memery serves me correct; there was some pretty rotten apples there.

And sometimes they're teachers!

Oh my God! HOW DARE A TEACHER HAND OUT SOME DISIPLINE.

You know I went to school, and if my memery serves me correct; there was some pretty rotten apples there.
You confuse discipline with assault.

Again, not taking the pledge is legal. Assaulting a student is a crime of assault.

<modsnip>

You confuse discipline with assault.

Again, not taking the pledge is legal. Assaulting a student is a crime of assault.

<modsnip>

technically speaking, it was also assault when my principal hit me when I was in grade 4 back in the 70's for misbehaving in school

If I met the man today, I would thank him for doing it.....he set me straight

He taught me that there were severe consequences for my actions at a very early age, it was a lesson well worth learning.....a lesson of youth today will never learn, unless they end up in prison

technically speaking, it was also assault when my principal hit me when I was in grade 4 back in the 70's for misbehaving in school

If I met the man today, I would thank him for doing it.....he set me straight

He taught me that there were severe consequences for my actions at a very early age, it was a lesson well worth learning.....a lesson of youth today will never learn, unless they end up in prison

This is correct. Like I said, when I was growing up, there was some pretty rotten little apples going to school. I can't count how many times I had to participate in a fist fight just trying to walk home from school.

<modsnip>

This is correct. Like I said, when I was growing up, there was some pretty rotten little apples going to school. I can't count how many times I had to participate in a fist fight just trying to walk home from school.

<modsnip>

Standing up and repeating the pledge on a daily basis is a form of indoctrination. Respect for others should be taught early on at home by parents. IMO

<modsnip>

Respect is earned not beaten into someone.

I was just reading in the Washington Post.

&#8220;
Students like our client who conscientiously carry their values and ideals with them cannot be silenced or directed on what to say or not say by their school in this manner,&#8221; Katie Traverso, an attorney for the student whose identity was not revealed in court documents, told the news organization.

It's only been two days, and a lawsuit is already in the works

MONEY, MONEY, MONEY.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-pledge-of-allegiance/?utm_term=.c36c6a538157

That's the new American way I guess. Get assullted by the little old lady at the school house = fast cash.

Free ride at the burden of tax payers.

I was just reading in the Washington Post.

&#8220;

It's only been two days, and a lawsuit is already in the works

MONEY, MONEY, MONEY.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-pledge-of-allegiance/?utm_term=.c36c6a538157

That's the new American way I guess. Get assullted by the little old lady at the school house = fast cash.

Free ride at the burden of tax payers.

Where is the description of the teacher as a little old lady, which implies meek and mild? From what I've read, she was a gym teacher known to be stern and who is accused of physically assaulting a student in her class.

We don't have many facts in the case, so we might as well stick to the ones we have.

But if you have a link that she's "a little old lady," please post. I do understand she is older, but not that she's "a little old lady."

tia and jmo

This case is about a specific incident. It's about a teacher accused of assaulting a student in her classroom for not standing for the pledge.

It's not a legal requirement to stand for the pledge. IIRC, the school said it's not a requirement in that school for students to stand for the pledge. Corporal punishment is largely not allowed in public schools nowadays.

So....not really seeing what the controversy is. A teacher broke the rules. The student didn't.

Am I missing something ABOUT THIS SPECIFIC CASE?

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member