CO - James Holmes Trial - *Closing Arguments* *Verdict Watch*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very thankful for this guilty verdict.

***O/T ...... Is there a thread on websleuths that is for discussing mental illness in general? Not related to this case, but just in general. I noticed several people posting very insightful information regarding mental illness. I am personally dealing with mental illness in my family and I would like to be able to have discussions regarding all sorts of mental illness information. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Possibly members only area

Th State asked the Judge for some information from the defense about who they were calling as witnesses and a time frame. Then the State said they needed to know because they had to fly in their witnesses from the East Coast. Who would the State witnesses be?

Thanks

I feel your pain...Those MI who don't harm other's really should be not treated the same as any killer or mass killer..TWO different animals....

JH needs to be treated, yes..BUT not pampered ..JH was the one who knowingly hurt/killed soooo many people and knew what he was doing..99% of MI folk would rather hurt themselves than others..Simple math!!

YOUR son never did any such thing..Please try and NOT equate the two...MI has been an excuse for far too many cases...MI patient's , like 99% never hurt a soul!! But somehow this idiot uses his ability to paint himself as something many even here understand..yet his behaviour actually ( which jury understood) had NOTHING to to with his abiity to know Right from Wrong....

MI folks need to be helped..supported and it ain't easy!! because they do don't KNOW things that JH did..no comparison...:blushing:

Thanks. I don't think JH has schizophrenia. I was my sons conservator for years. I have been with him to so many psych hospitals, short and long term over the last 12 years. My other son 25 yr complete opposite no MI issues whatsoever totally got it all together. He just graduated UCI has a great job, worked part time and paid his way to college. He's very independent and going back to school in a year to get his PHD. They have different Dads.

This is why I had so much interest in this trial. I really wanted to hear from the psychiatrists, experts etc. I was just reading about Jared Lee Loughner now he definitely fit the mold for schizophrenia.

I am very thankful for this guilty verdict.

***O/T ...... Is there a thread on websleuths that is for discussing mental illness in general? Not related to this case, but just in general. I noticed several people posting very insightful information regarding mental illness. I am personally dealing with mental illness in my family and I would like to be able to have discussions regarding all sorts of mental illness information. Thanks in advance for your replies.

I'm not sure if they do or not but I was one of those who posted about my mom (who has bipolar disorder), so if you ever want to talk or have questions or just want to vent... you can certainly send me a personal message any time you'd like. :) Also, I've found solace in the past on the message boards/forums on psych central's website. They have separate boards for every type of MI, as well as boards for family members to offer support and advice.

exactly! His delusion won't end. Without treatment and I mean good treatment he will continue to attempt to validate himself through his delusional construct. Early intervention may have stopped this carnage but he didn't have that luxury. Wrong Doc., wrong drug, wrong to numerous too mention. Of course he can never be free but he needs treatment...not a black hole (he is already in one of his mind's making). jmho

Delusion? You mean the one he and his attorneys came up with when they decided to go the insanity route? After the prosecutor said no plea deal?

(Sorry if this has already been posted)

Stunning rainbow over the courthouse after verdict read
http://www.9news.com/story/news/weird/2015/07/16/rainbow-after-theater-verdict/30275357/

"CENTENNIAL - Right after the the guilty verdict was done being read in the Aurora theater shooting case, victims, families and friends started to file out of the courtroom.

What they may not have expected was this beautiful sight over the courthouse."

635726813416407423-Still0716-00000.jpg
Rainbow over the Arapahoe County courthouse (Photo: 9NEWS)

James Holmes found guilty of murder in Colorado theater shooting
Fri July 17, 2015

Centennial, Colorado (CNN)Will James Holmes face death for killing 12 people inside an Aurora, Colorado, movie theater?

That could be the next question jurors will be asked after finding Holmes guilty Thursday of first-degree murder in the July 2012 shooting.

Holmes faced two counts of first-degree murder for each of the 12 victims. The jury found him guilty on all 24 counts.

Holmes, who had pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity, showed no reaction as the verdict against him was announced. He stood at the defense table with his attorney, his hands in his pockets. He faced a total of 165 charges.

The jury also found Holmes guilty of attempted murder on all of the 140 counts against him for the 70 people wounded in the shooting. Additionally, he was found guilty of one count of possession or control of an explosive or incendiary device.

~~~

A sentencing phase, which is expected to last about one month, is slated to begin next Wednesday. The same jury will deliberate during that phase. In 2013, the prosecution signaled it would seek the death penalty.

Much more at link^^^

(Sorry if this has already been posted)

Stunning rainbow over the courthouse after verdict read
http://www.9news.com/story/news/weird/2015/07/16/rainbow-after-theater-verdict/30275357/

"CENTENNIAL - Right after the the guilty verdict was done being read in the Aurora theater shooting case, victims, families and friends started to file out of the courtroom.

What they may not have expected was this beautiful sight over the courthouse."

View attachment 78292
Rainbow over the Arapahoe County courthouse (Photo: 9NEWS)

Thank you for sharing this. What a nice ending to a tough lengthy trial.

This is such a big relief as we can now head into the Penalty Phase knowing that no matter what happens in that phase at least we know JH will never be allowed to hurt anyone else ever again.

The Gold Patrol® ‏@thegoldpatrol · 8m8 minutes ago
After the guilty verdict: What happens next in theater shooting case to decide JH fate? #theatershooting https://shar.es/1ssoN2

The rainbow was beautiful.

So grateful today that the jury got it right. Did anyone see anyone tweeting about reactions?

And I assume jury still can't talk about stuff until penalty phase is over?

Questions

Will there be any live streaming video of today, Monday and Tuesday as the court irons out the next phases?

Who are the witnesses the State will be calling from the East Coast?

The rainbow was beautiful.

So grateful today that the jury got it right. Did anyone see anyone tweeting about reactions?

And I assume jury still can't talk about stuff until penalty phase is over?

The judge gave similar instructions to the jury that he has since the start of the trial. He said no talking to the media. No looking things up on the Internet. No reading/watching the news. No forming any opinion about sentencing till after the penalty phase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Questions

Will there be any live streaming video of today, Monday and Tuesday as the court irons out the next phases?

Who are the witnesses the State will be calling from the East Coast?

We've been able to watch all of the proceedings so far. It's been broadcast every time the judge has met with the attorneys for conferences.

I am curious about the witnesses from out of state too. Maybe Dr Reid again to reinforce that the shooter is not as mentally ill as his defence team will say he is.

So how is everyone doing today?
The jury spoke loud & clear - they rejected his Insanity defense! All he tried to do to get away with it & all the defense did to try to get him not responsible-failed! You might have tricked the people around you & the doctors but, you didn't fool the jury!

Larry Ryckman ‏@larryryckman · 2m2 minutes ago
"I think it's a relief, but it's sad," one survivor said after the Aurora #theatershooting verdict. Full coverage: http://dpo.st/1KaWXyj

Denver Post Opinion ‏@denveropinion · 9m9 minutes ago
Editorial: Justice prevailed in #theatershooting trial: James Holmes is guilty of mass murder http://dpo.st/1Mx5GrS

So how is everyone doing today?
The jury spoke loud & clear - they rejected his Insanity defense! All he tried to do to get away with it & all the defense did to try to get him not responsible-failed! You might have tricked the people around you & the doctors but, you didn't fool the jury!

Doing ok---updating my IPod---gardening little bit later today. We may be in a "drought" but tell that to the weeds!

What are the usual reasons for getting death?

"Cruel and unusual" is one phrase used; the murder of a child; torture (not it this case, IMO); desecration of a body (not in this case); those are only a couple that I can remember...

I'm relieved at the verdict. I did have some concern that the jury might struggle to reach a guilty verdict based on the amount of mental health evidence.

My biggest relief is knowing that the shooter won't one day walk free and hurt someone else.

Knowing how much people make him anxious I don't think he would attack someone in prison. He preferred to do his killing at arms length. This means prison guards should be safe from him.

I'm not sure if they do or not but I was one of those who posted about my mom (who has bipolar disorder), so if you ever want to talk or have questions or just want to vent... you can certainly send me a personal message any time you'd like. :) Also, I've found solace in the past on the message boards/forums on psych central's website. They have separate boards for every type of MI, as well as boards for family members to offer support and advice.
Thank you for the info on psych central. I am interested in this and have bookmarked the forum. cujenn81, this is the second great tip you have given me. (I am now coloring....lol). THANKS! :loveyou:

(Credit link below)
1) In the first portion of the penalty process, the prosecution must prove to the jury beyond a reasonable doubt that the crimes included at least one statutory aggravating factor. There are several such factors in Colorado, but these are the ones that might apply to this case:

The defendant committed the offense in an especially heinous, cruel, or depraved manner
In the commission of the offense, the defendant knowingly created a grave risk of death to another person in addition to the victim of the offense
The defendant intentionally killed a child who has not yet attained twelve
The defendant unlawfully and intentionally, knowingly, or with universal malice manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life generally, killed two or more persons during the commission of the same criminal episodeBased on the defense team's statements in court Thursday evening, that phase of the case is only expected to last a few hours but the jury does have to deliberate and agree to move on.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ter-shooting-case-to-decide-james-holmes-fate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Txwoman