CO - James Holmes Trial - *Penalty Phase* #4 - LWOP

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Gold Patrol® ‏@thegoldpatrol 24s24 seconds ago
#theatershooting jury has left for the day

Will see everyone tomorrow. I hope the below is right.

830 Colorado Time or Mountain Time

330 London Time

730 Pacific Time

930 Central Time

1030 Eastern Time

I listened to closing arguments while at work today.

i thought that the prosecution's was somewhat weak. I expected something a bit more compelling. It was good, but not memorable for me. I like the PT opening better. Maybe GB was just tired after such a long trial.

I was surprised by reaction to the defense closing. I tuned out the issues with her voice and when she raised it to make a point. I tried to listen to her actual line of thinking and argument, and I do feel she made some good points. I thought her arguments as to why jurors should choose LWOP were sound.

One of the best parts of her argument, to me, was when she talked about mercy having nothing to do with JH earning it or deserving it, that mercy is something bestowed upon someone by another person (or words to that effect). I hadn't thought about it in that way, but it made a lot of sense to me.

Like I said, I didn't expect to have that reaction, so it surprised me. I felt more swayed by her closing than the PT's.

And all the way through, I have not really cared whether he would get DP or LWOP because I just don't think there is much difference between them aside from some technicalities. I am opposed to the death penalty now, but years ago I was in support of it. I also realize that I have not lost a loved one in a violent manner, so its possible that my feelings would change if I were in those shoes.

I do think they will come back with a verdict tomorrow, and I won't be surprised if they do give him the DP.

I wonder if the female jurors (9) are smitten with GB. He is a very polished attorney.

Female or not, I feel sure that every juror looked forward to hearing GB -- he was polished and patient; he did not talk down to them; he was smart, smart, smart, and let the words go quickly; he was not under-handed nor vindictive; he rarely raised his voice (always a winner); and he just made good sense. Plus, he is very cute... yes, indeed, and that polish is very attractive. I have a bit of a crush-let on him. I have a similar crush on two (not one, but two!) NC Superior Court Judges -- one is about 40 years old, and the other is about 70, but he's got this polish thing going on.

Sorry for the O/T, but I needed to take a breath or two. Ahhhhhh.

As for the jury:
I do wonder -- now that they've prolly shut the jury room down by now -- where they left it for the day.... I wish them all an easy and untroubled night's sleep. Those jurors have been so good-natured, and they have apparently done everything the judge has asked them to do. What an amazing bunch of folks. Bless 'em all.

I'm thinking tomorrow... And whatever their verdict -- they are the verdict and sentencing experts in this thing. I think we can all accept what they will decide. They've done a pretty good job so far.

The Denver7 legal analyst is saying he was surprised that there was no rebuttal argument, and that Brady might have been caught unaware. I wonder if that was intentional by GB, or if he just felt it wasn't necessary?

ETA - Ms Josie beat me to it (and much more thoroughly

bbm

I think both -- I feel sure GB was just itching to rebut her loud blah-de-blah, but he took the high road, and left her flat. Smart, smart guy! :D

I finally listened to the closings. The Prosecution has a story to tell that will never change unfortunately. The Murder victims will never come back and the surviving victims will live with their inflictions and their pain and fear and horror forever. The many families and friends of all of them will suffer forever for their loss.
The Defense likewise has the same story but less realistic than before the jury heard it all. If I was a juror I would have felt mercy at start of trial for JH. But as the evidence accumulated and the lack of remorse showed It's face from the defendant I have lost the sense of Mercy.
If I have to consider Mercy in regards to his parents and sister I can. The problem there is They did not commit a crime. So I think the point is moot.
When someone does the planning mentally and physically for so many weeks and carries out what they know they will spend the rest of their life in jail for I have no Mercy. Never thought I was in favor of the death penalty but now I am for JH. He thinks he made a name for himself so he should live it and live it big. I would vote DP.

It's not easy! Sometimes I think I've copied a tweet and when I paste it I find it's the previous tweet I copied and pasted. It happens again and again and I get so stressed lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, you crazy wonderful Brit -- what you did for us today and on all days past has been purr-fect! And we owe ya one, and we love you for it. You're a good one, Maisiebelle!:loveyou:

I agree - GB seems to have a much better 'read' of the jury, Brady (and all the defense) don't seem to know when to stop, IMO

I am still reeling about the tweet that said many of the victims' side walked out during Brady's remarks -- she had to notice it!!

I have always wondered if there was a big ego crash on that side of the courtroom. Besides having a guilty, guilty, guilty client, I still wonder if there was more going on...

I really liked when GB went thru each victim & noted personal things about each one to the jury.

I disliked the most- Brady's delivery & tone. Also when Brady told the jury 'he was delusional & psychotic & wasn't mentally culpable'- knowing full well the jury found him culpable.
And also when she asked for 'Mercy' for him, even tho he had no mercy & he gave DP to his victims!
Also, when she said she was sorry & had sympathy for the victims & families. That was not her place to do that!!! He should have said that! IMO

bbm
I liked it, too -- very poignant and so personal -- but I just broke into tears when he said, "War Eagle." Oh, that just clobbered me.

And yes, I thought Brady's very use of the word, "mercy" was disrespectful, nervy, and totally unfeeling. Mercy, my azz. Unbelievable. Sit down, shut up, please.
icon8.png

@CarolAMcKinley: Almost entire victims' side of courtroom, including Ashley Moser in her wheelchair, filed out 1 by 1 as defense started.

I can understand why they would not want to hear a pitch in favor of the monster who murdered or injured one of their dear loved ones, but she might have kept a few of them if she had been gentle and even. It's difficult to cozy up to a screaming banshee.

Well, you crazy wonderful Brit -- what you did for us today and on all days past has been purr-fect! And we owe ya one, and we love you for it. You're a good one, Maisiebelle!:loveyou:

Ahh thank you very much!! I have to admit I do appreciate it when the other more experienced posters do the tweets. I do understand why they need to take a break from it though :)

I was thinking back to GB's closing. What got me the most was the final minutes when he played the 911 call and with each gunshot the photos of the victims were disappearing off the screen on the wall. Just heartbreaking.

Have not checked this whole thread but I didn't see this mentioned... When the pros. Said no rebuttal... Did anyone else notice Ms. Higgs fall apart at the defense table? Was she going to do the rebuttal? She looked angry and upset and then started crying. I watched this three times, she was very upset.

Hope Zoey got to watch the closings. We missed you Zoey!

Have not checked this whole thread but I didn't see this mentioned... When the pros. Said no rebuttal... Did anyone else notice Ms. Higgs fall apart at the defense table? Was she going to do the rebuttal? She looked angry and upset and then started crying. I watched this three times, she was very upset.

No, but I wondered if she would be upset. Channel 7 anchors thought she may have had a surprise in the rebuttal, but GB deflated the surprise by not giving one himself. I am going to have to go back and watch now!

She became very animated after GB announces... She gets very red faced and began crying... Nelson gets her Kleenex ... She laters talks to Brady and is again agitated . After the jury leaves she gets her own Kleenex and blows her nose and leaves in a huff. I couldn't believe it, I've never seen an attorney act like that, though I'm sure some do worse ( for both sides)

http://www.wildabouttrial.com/trial_videos/colorado-shooter-trial-video-archive-day-63/

The Judge is asking about rebuttals.

At the 59.42 mark, the attorneys are coming back from the bench. The Judge asks GB if he has a rebuttal. Brady is looking either at GB or the Jurors...when GB saids no, Brady looks at GB and then appears to be looking at the Jurors.

I tried to watch the other defense attorneys. I think some were surprised, some did not even move. I believe that the defense thought there would be a rebuttal as Brady had papers in front of her, which she collected and piled along with others. Her 'surprise' if there was one, was taken away.

She became very animated after GB announces... She gets very red faced and began crying... Nelson gets her Kleenex ... She laters talks to Brady and is again agitated . After the jury leaves she gets her own Kleenex and blows her nose and leaves in a huff. I couldn't believe it, I've never seen an attorney act like that, though I'm sure some do worse ( for both sides)

I went back and watched her. I think it was for the jury's benefit. She is a bit dramatic anyway and this was for show.

Only my opinion of course :)

I went back and watched her. I think it was for the jury's benefit. She is a bit dramatic anyway and this was for show.

Only my opinion of course :)

She actually turned her chair away from the jury though and was in serious conversation with Nelson. She paid no attention to Holmes. I am only bringing it up because I thought it was interesting, and I really wouldn't have been surprised ifHiggs did the rebuttal. She is their constitutional expert, very involved in the jury instructions the last few days. I was just surprised that she seems so affected that she became that animated. And just so we are clear, I am not attacking any lawyer, it was just an observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove