CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
But wouldn't LE check with the family to see if the backpack they found looks the one Jessica owned? Were the details of her backpack publicized?

Yes, I believe the details of the back pack were published yesterday.

the details were very limited... just that it was black with pink with a disney character. (didn't even say which one)

As she was waiting in a line of cars to get home, Christine Wiedinmyer said the original tip was e-mailed by one of her neighbors, and she, too, saw the backpack on the sidewalk around 8:15 this morning as she was headed out.

She said it didn't really strike her at first because there often are children's bikes or toys left about in the neighborhood.

She said her husband currently was being interviewed at their house by FBI agents because he, too, saw the backpack.

"It's horrifying," Wiedinmyer said. "I want to get home. My daughters are so worried."

http://www.dailycamera.com/superior...y-search-hunt-missing-westminster-girl-shifts

hat is off to him for doing the right thing

Okay, getting less creepy, knowing it was a neighbor known to others... But what an odd way to phrase it!

Weird if it was found this morning and the email sent "shortly after 1 PM".

When our bus was headed to a search area yesterday, LE told us the Victoria Justice character was on her backpack.

They didn't say anything about a water bottle, but pretty much all the kids carry a water bottle to school and have it with them on their desk during the day. It's so common no one may have even thought of it. Also, CSP was directing our search and I don't know if the water bottle thing is common across Colorado or just in Jeffco. They did tell us that if we saw textbooks or schoolwork or something like that, to let them know.

The quickest way to the subdivision mentioned is to take 108th to Simms, Simms to CO 128 and then take a right on McCaslin. I've done that a number of times to avoid traffic on Hwy 36.

If someone was trying to go to Hwy 36, I'd imagine they would have just gone east to Wadsworth and north to Hwy 36. It'd be way faster than winding around. McCaslin to Hwy 36 has tons of lights and is only "fast" if Hwy 36 is bogged down in traffic--as it tends to be at rush hour. It would have been moving again by 8:30 though.

All that said, the message and backpack out on the sidewalk is odd and makes me wonder if someone is trying to plant evidence. Why not call Westminster PD or the Superior PD?

hat is off to him for doing the right thing

Yeah, I don't think this guy was being flippant or nefarious. He was just letting someone know the backpack was found.

But has he had his head in the sand all weekend? Her name has been plastered everywhere!!

I find it extremely strange that someone would email such a massive find with regards to a missing 10 yr old little girl. Surely anyone would phone the police immediately realising the significance?? I don't understand it at all.

A Superior resident e-mailed the town's listserv shortly after 1 p.m. today with a message bearing the subject line "Children's Back Pack Found." The message reads: "Found this morning on the side walk at Andrew Drive and Alpha Court. Water bottle has 'Jessica Ridgeway' name on it. Come and get it."

http://www.dailycamera.com/superior...y-search-hunt-missing-westminster-girl-shifts

That makes more sense. Whoever found the backpack didn't recognize the name of the missing child and just reported a found item.

As she was waiting in a line of cars to get home, Christine Wiedinmyer said the original tip was e-mailed by one of her neighbors, and she, too, saw the backpack on the sidewalk around 8:15 this morning as she was headed out.

She said it didn't really strike her at first because there often are children's bikes or toys left about in the neighborhood.

She said her husband currently was being interviewed at their house by FBI agents because he, too, saw the backpack.

"It's horrifying," Wiedinmyer said. "I want to get home. My daughters are so worried."

8:15 this morning is appx 48 hours after Jessica disappeared. If these are in fact her belongings any idea why the perp would hold onto them for a full 48 hours? Wouldn't he or she want to get rid of them sooner?

Does anyone write their childs full first and last name on their water bottle?

I'm not sure what to think of this lead. And with the timing and location, I have to consider these items were left by teenagers as a prank?

I find it extremely strange that someone would email such a massive find with regards to a missing 10 yr old little girl. Surely anyone would phone the police immediately realising the significance?? I don't understand it at all.

has anyone noted other cases where witnesses get thrown under the bus? I don't blame the person.

At least he or she reported it. From the reports it sounds like he/she is not the only one that noticed it. Maybe the phone was busy? Maybe he or she did try to call? How do we know yet?

Now we can see if it is related or not.

I would have stood guard over it and caused a scene until the police showed up if it was me!

Hi all, does anyone find the backpack and water bottle a sort of taunting from the perp or are they just now finding it and not a clue?

Just trying to catch up

btw, mom in love(law)is better today and hanging in there

has anyone noted other cases where witnesses get thrown under the bus? I don't blame the person.

At least he or she reported it. From the reports it sounds like he/she is not the only one that noticed it. Maybe the phone was busy? Maybe he or she did try to call? How do we know yet?

Now we can see if it is related or not.

Agreed, i was thinking out loud, but was just very suprised at the manner it was reported. Quite right, we don't know.

But there are many varieties of Victorious backpacks.

Does anyone write their childs full first and last name on their water bottle?

I do. It's on the bottom. I didn't think about abbreviating it because my daughter has a short name, we have a reasonably common last name and most importantly, because the main reason someone would turn it over to look for her name is if she and another kid have the same water bottle and need to figure out whose is whose.

I am betting you hit the nail on the head, I bet he did not realize it was a missing child.... Many do not watch television, and out of those that do, many do not watch the news. (How do you think they get a jury pool). I am guilty most times of not watching television, I can go weeks without ever turning it on. I have missed many major events, but never miss anything about "missing" because I frequent Websleuths. IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denie67