CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
yah, how can you get 24/7 police protection when there are more than 1500 tips.
they don't have that manpower.

But how could it not matter? If you live with someone you suspect and LE knocks on the door, doesn't find enough information to do anything, and leaves--your life could then be in danger, no?

If someone lives with someone they feel could be involved, I think they would be better off going directly to the police, so they could be protected and maybe even work with police to find out the information that is needed.

JMO

I would think it's still on scene b/c it's preserving the crime scene. may not make sense, but I think it's that rather than awaiting pick up of balloons...

Good point except the crime scene has been released and opened to public. So, I dont know. jmo

yah, how can you get 24/7 police protection when there are more than 1500 tips.
they don't have that manpower.

I agree. I didn't mean that so much as that they could work with you to get information in a safe way, so the suspect wouldn't have to be directly confronted by police and realize that he may have been turned in by the person living with him. KWIM?

Over here, at fairs and festivals and such, kids put wristbands on with the parents cell phone number on it in case they get separated. And it happens.

I might take some flak for this and it's ok, but does anyone else think the perp could possibly be in law enforcement?

I think it's possible but not any more likely than any other profession.

Anyone from the area that can tell me what the cement buildings in Pattridge Park are? Initially the news was calling them "abandoned mine shafts." But they don't really look like shafts? I wonder if they have any historical significance? Otherwise, they might consider cleaning that area up. I couldn't find anything on them...

I live in Aurora and we have a lot of odd abandoned areas out east, cement structures, silos etc, all with creepy stories. In fact, E470 and shops at Smoky Hill/Gunclub used to be a big site of weird stuff. It has all been torn down and they biult right over it, but I hear the parking lot near the Safeway is now sinking...

I live quite a bit further south of Westminster and I would consider our area "very safe" (whatever that means these days) and children are often seen waking to and from school alone. My friend and I did an experiment Friday. I drove down a fairly busy street that passes right by a public park and a large housing development. My friend was walking down the sidewalk. I pulled off to the side slowly and we pretended I grabbed her and pushed her head down in the car and drove away.

It was amazing to us how incredibly fast I could do this and that to our knowledge no one noticed us. I think that no matter how careful children are, if a perpetrator really wants to grab one off the street - he can easily succeed and get out of the area before anyone is the wiser. I think this is what happened here. He most likely overpowered her easily, or could have quickly rendered her helpless while he got away from the area. Think of how many people are always on their cell phones and not even paying attention to what's going on around them.

Why he didn't destroy her backpack and water bottle actually surprises me. It's like he wanted to toy with the public and the police by dropping it - giving us a little bit of hope. Or maybe a false lead.

I would think it's still on scene b/c it's preserving the crime scene. may not make sense, but I think it's that rather than awaiting pick up of balloons...
Have you SEEN the number of balloons and paper items that can appear at roadside memorials? I'm talking hundreds....:) Again, I can only speak for around here, but we have a waste person that picks up at any roadside memorials for the first several weeks because otherwise, the roads would be full of blown away cards, papers, balloons, flowers, etc.

From what I have seen, with the amount of people who have traipsed over the spot she was discovered, there could not be much left to preserve of any crime scene.

I know that there has been someone hear who voiced a strong opinion about DNA testing babies at birth....can't rememeber who that was. To that person, and anyone else who wants to comment....

Why are you opposed to this? I respect right to privacy, but can there be grave errors in this matching? Personally, if I'm not guilty of a crime, I can't imagine why I would ever care that I had given my DNA at birth. I also think that this could cause people to think twice before commiting crimes.

My son is pursuing a career with the FBI. He did a research paper on a city which I beleive was in Canada. They took a video of every license plate entering and leaving town. His paper was about our right to privacy. I guess I don't understand how that infringes on my privacy, if I didn't do anything wrong? It's not an inconvenience to me. Now, I can understand if people want to just randomly come in and check my computer and read every private e-mail, or follow me all over town with a video camera where I may do something legal, but yet embarrasing (like being a man, which I'm not, going to an adult bookstore or something)....but general videos and/or testing babies' DNA? I don't understand why that's a problem. Please enlighten me and I truly ask that respectfully b/c I'm curious. TIA

I personally don't know anything. I just with they had an anonymous tip line b/c this guy is so dangerous that I think someone close to him would be truly scared for themselves and their family.
if they knock on his door and can't arrest him right then and there, it could be a bad scene.

I also think people should report, but the reality is different. anonymous tips are essential in this case.

The tipline can be made anonymous:
- dial *67 before dialing the number
- refuse to give your name
- use a yahoo or gmail e-mail account without your real name on it

Did all of this last night. If anyone knows anything that might help just a little, please don't be afraid to contact LE. Someone's little piece of information may be just what they need to link the suspect to the crime.

th_soapbox.gif

(off my soapbox now...)

I live in Aurora and we have a lot of odd abandoned areas out east, cement structures, silos etc, all with creepy stories. In fact, E470 and shops at Smoky Hill/Gunclub used to be a big site of weird stuff. It has all been torn down and they biult right over it, but I hear the parking lot near the Safeway is now sinking...

I remember those! I went through some of them with a boyfriend when we were in high school and now I think how lucky we were we didn't get injured!

I know that there has been someone hear who voiced a strong opinion about DNA testing babies at birth....can't rememeber who that was. To that person, and anyone else who wants to comment....

Why are you opposed to this? I respect right to privacy, but can there be grave errors in this matching? Personally, if I'm not guilty of a crime, I can't imagine why I would ever care that I had given my DNA at birth. I also think that this could cause people to think twice before commiting crimes.

My son is pursuing a career with the FBI. He did a research paper on a city which I beleive was in Canada. They took a video of every license plate entering and leaving town. His paper was about our right to privacy. I guess I don't understand how that infringes on my privacy, if I didn't do anything wrong? It's not an inconvenience to me. Now, I can understand if people want to just randomly come in and check my computer and read every private e-mail, or follow me all over town with a video camera where I may do something legal, but yet embarrasing (like being a man, which I'm not, going to an adult bookstore or something)....but general videos and/or testing babies' DNA? I don't understand why that's a problem. Please enlighten me and I truly ask that respectfully b/c I'm curious. TIA

I know what you mean. I have thought the same thing about microchipping. Many people are against it for civil liberties reasons, but can you imagine if your children were microchipped and we could see within seconds of them missing where they were?

I remember those! I went through some of them with a boyfriend when we were in high school and now I think how lucky we were we didn't get injured!

I still don't know what those creepy buildings were? The rumor was that it was an old Japanese American internment camp from the 40s. But internet search shows them in a different area in Colorado. The stories were also that devil worshipers hung out there... which sounds ridiculous now.

The tipline can be made anonymous:
- dial *67 before dialing the number
- refuse to give your name
- use a yahoo or gmail e-mail account without your real name on it

Did all of this last night. If anyone knows anything that might help just a little, please don't be afraid to contact LE. Someone's little piece of information may be just what they need to link the suspect to the crime.

th_soapbox.gif

(off my soapbox now...)
Thank you again :)

I know what you mean. I have thought the same thing about microchipping. Many people are against it for civil liberties reasons, but can you imagine if your children were microchipped and we could see within seconds of them missing where they were?

But microchipping won't do that. It isn't even close to that level of technology.

All it can do is provide an ID once a person's found.

Some good points here. I don't know if the water bottle was found in the backpack or on/attached to the backpack. FWIW, the custom in the local area as I have observed is to stick the water bottle in an outside pouch of the backpack. If this was the case, then yes the perp could have seen the name and also it would mean the people that found the backpack would have seen the name without having to open the backpack itself.
I agree. Any parent who has ever had to clean soggy papers out of a backpack knows to put the water bottle in the outside pouch or attach it with a carabiner to the outside. If the name is on the bottle (and a lot of people do that because they are tired of replacing the bottle for the 14th time), you never have to open the backpack.

BTW, we just draw a special picture on our kids' stuff. No name, but easily identifiable for them.

I guess the fear would be - could the government follow us around all day? I can see why some would have a beef with that. Me personally? Not really. If they want to watch me do laundry, scrub carpets, do dishes, and clean up dog vomit, they can go right ahead. I'm sure that by nightfall, when I undress to get into the whirlpool with a glass of wine, they'll likely never want to watch again! LOL

The Cody, Wyoming suspect had ties to Colorado, of course. Denver Westword has released his name. He is a photographer.

TIA

Wow you really confuse me! Disney land is an invasion but yet taking DNA at birth would not be. Seems like these are so far apart from each other

PS Gabby, I am not being facetious:)

But microchipping won't do that. It isn't even close to that level of technology.

All it can do is provide an ID once a person's found.

I guess I should have re-phrased if the technology is ever developed. Kind of like a GPS thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member