CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am somewhat surprised that a pic of the backpack, even an exemplar of some sort was not issued at the same time as the alert that she was missing.

I would not expect LE to release photos of it post discovery once left for finding, but I would have thought we'd have gotten some sort of picture of the type style when she went missing and I don't recall that happening. Maybe it was and I've simply forgotten now.

where's Agent Cooper to come in an impose a curfew? or at least insist that kids under 18 have a chaperone at all times?

And my theory on the body placement and all of that; I think he wanted it to be found, just like the backpack. He knew that this exact spot was where teens hang out and would visit. I don't think he knew the garbage service would be called out there, I think he wanted teens out there looking for "ghosts" to find her. If he didn't want her found, he could have just driven 10 yards further up the road and she wouldn't have been found. I don't know about other states, but in Colorado when you see a pull-off, you know there's a reason for it. It's a place where people frequently pull over and get out for a photo opportunity or a hiking trail, etc.

And after reading some theories on the other thread, I think it is possible he is a photographer. I would be curious to know how visible she was from the road. If he placed her there and stood back to photograph the area, could she be seen at all in the photograph? Or is she hidden? It may be part of his weirdness, like he wants to save pictures of the scenes (yea, I know this was a Criminal Minds episode or two...)

Totally agree that he wanted it to be found. If not, you could just drive over to coal creek or up Golden Gate road and toss the body (and/or parts) off the side of the mountains at numerous scenic lookouts/pullouts. Nobody would think anything of it, would just think you were taking pics of "city lights" from the viewpoints if pulled off to the side. I personally wouldn't drive that road at night, but it is probably dark and less traveled and the remains wouldn't be found for quite a while (if you were trying to hide them).

Re her Hollister zip-up hoodie:

Hollister is sized for teens & older. I'm 46 & also wear Hollister, A&F too. Hollister doesn't have a store for younger children. However, A&F has Abercrombie Kids and American Eagle Outfitters has 77 Kids. My son is 10 & wears A&F Kids. Even an XS Hollister is still too big in the arms for him, much like how the hoodie Jessica had on fit her. These are very popular brands. Just thought I'd throw that out there as my boys have closets full of this stuff, Under Armour and NFL stuff too. I know nobody asked, but I saw mention of kids wanting to maybe act older & such so just thought I'd enlighten a bit. Just bc Jessica had a Hollister hoodie, it doesn't necessarily mean she wanted to act older. These name brands are popular in the way that Sponge Bob or iCarly would be popular. 5th grade is stereotypical for when girls start to express theirselves with clothes, lip gloss, etc.

sitting here thinking of reasons someone who did not live in that three block area might have for being there to encounter Jessica that morning.

1) stopping by or leaving after visiting a friend who lives there

2) delivering something (flowers, political flyers, advertisements, phone books)

3) shortcut to work or appointment from actual place of residence

ETA 4) favorite trolling area due to proximity of nearby school and the neighborhood kids cutting through that field near park to get to school

Re the opinions of missing & murdered children garnering this type of attention:

Jessica was dismembered. That in & of itself would have media swarming like flies all over this story. Doesn't matter what she looked like, her age, her status - her body was in pieces. I'd still like to know if any part of her was missing & if so - what?

Perhaps my post was misunderstood so let me explain my reasoning. I was referring to the day she went missing in terms of the perp abducting her. The case drew immediate attention. Not all cases draw that kind of response in the early hours. I was simply pointing out that the perp may have been surprised that this particular situation drew such immediate national coverage. I believe that put him in panic mode as he wasn't expecting it.
Of course there is media coverage now that the case has moved on to the more sensational aspects. But if that hadn't occurred, it wouldn't have gotten this amount of attention.

There actually hasn't been confirmation of dismemberment. Please see nursebeeme's post below:

ETA: I haen't seen a pic of the backpack. Anyone else?

I always agree with nurse but there are other articles that do say she was dismembered. Not intact could also mean dismembered as well.

Not intact would be opposite 2.

http://i.word.com/idictionary/intact

Main Entry: in·tact
Pronunciation: \in-ˈtakt\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English intacte, from Latin intactus, from in- + tactus, past participle of tangere to touch — more at tangent
Date: 15th century
1 : untouched especially by anything that harms or diminishes : entire, uninjured
2 of a living body or its parts : having no relevant component removed or destroyed: a : physically virginal b : not castrated
synonyms see perfect
— in·tact·ness \-ˈtak(t)-nəs\ noun

I am just wondering what others opinions are of this perp being caught. Being a Colorado native and seeing many of these cases here go cold I have to say I am not that optimistic, which is sad.

Does anyone remember little Alie Berellez? She was abducted in broad daylight in 1993 or 92 I believe while in the company of other little children eating pizza. It did turn out to be a neighbor, but by the time DNA technology caught up and they could arrest him, he had already died of natural causes.

Others that are still cold and I know I am missing many, many more.

Marilee Burt
Jacob McKnight
The Bennett Family
Of course Jon Benet Ramsey
There was also a little paperboy murdered in his own home in the 70's I think

The police just don't seem to have a very good track record when it comes to child murders, abductions here. I think a lot of it is the perp does not know the victim so there is no way to tie them and lack of DNA. Or in the Bennett family murder case, DNA and not a soul to match it to.

Perhaps my post was misunderstood so let me explain my reasoning. I was referring to the day she went missing in terms of the perp abducting her. The case drew immediate attention. Not all cases draw that kind of response in the early hours. I was simply pointing out that the perp may have been surprised that this particular situation drew such immediate national coverage. I believe that put him in panic mode as he wasn't expecting it.
Of course there is media coverage now that the case has moved on to the more sensational aspects. But if that hadn't occurred, it wouldn't have gotten this amount of attention.

ITA-I also think that the kidnapping of the WY girl gave it more attention to-jmo

sitting here thinking of reasons someone who did not live in that three block area might have for being there to encounter Jessica that morning.

1) stopping by or leaving after visiting a friend who lives there

2) delivering something (flowers, political flyers, advertisements, phone books)

3) shortcut to work or appointment from actual place of residence

IMO - if this was a complete stranger than he was just driving around looking for opportunity. Otherwise it was someone who happened to leave at the same time that Jessica did every morning (going to work) and saw her. I know I tend to see the same kids in the afternoon. But, I really lean towards it being a complete stranger who was just looking for the right kid.

Re her Hollister zip-up hoodie:

Hollister is sized for teens & older. I'm 46 & also wear Hollister, A&F too. Hollister doesn't have a store for younger children. However, A&F has Abercrombie Kids and American Eagle Outfitters has 77 Kids. My son is 10 & wears A&F Kids. Even an XS Hollister is still too big in the arms for him, much like how the hoodie Jessica had on fit her. These are very popular brands. Just thought I'd throw that out there as my boys have closets full of this stuff, Under Armour and NFL stuff too. I know nobody asked, but I saw mention of kids wanting to maybe act older & such so just thought I'd enlighten a bit. Just bc Jessica had a Hollister hoodie, it doesn't necessarily mean she wanted to act older. These name brands are popular in the way that Sponge Bob or iCarly would be popular. 5th grade is stereotypical for when girls start to express theirselves with clothes, lip gloss, etc.

Her mother said Jessica "wanted to be a teenager before she's a teenager". I think that was translated in some of our minds to include dressing like a teenager.

I am somewhat surprised that a pic of the backpack, even an exemplar of some sort was not issued at the same time as the alert that she was missing.

I would not expect LE to release photos of it post discovery once left for finding, but I would have thought we'd have gotten some sort of picture of the type style when she went missing and I don't recall that happening. Maybe it was and I've simply forgotten now.

when some of the other pictures of Jessica were released one of them said the backpack was shown in the picture by the door. I will find that picture brb

(not sure at what point they said that re: before or after the backpack was found)

ah here it is... westminster pd facebook page https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...6864304.-2207520000.1350407524&type=1&theater

Oh, and on no. 3 above ... I wonder what kind of car/truck the dad drives, or were at their house and looked possibly similar enough to what perp was driving for her to be confused. If it was a Subaru, it's CO, as I said in another thread, 50/50 chance. An SUV of some sort, another 25% chance. Or most likely, IMO, a van ... a household with young children is likely to have a minivan.

Perp car didn't have to be a minivan, though. Girls of that age aren't normally noticing exactly what kind of car or truck something is, more likely just the color. (Case in point: the WY abduction witnesses described vehicle as a white sedan, but in fact it was a white SUV.)

She was walking to school as pre-planned and had even called her friend that morning to make sure they were still walking to school together, according to her mother. Its in the interview transcripts.

Oh, and on no. 3 above ... I wonder what kind of car/truck the dad drives, or were at their house and looked possibly similar enough to what perp was driving for her to be confused. If it was a Subaru, it's CO, as I said in another thread, 50/50 chance. An SUV of some sort, another 25% chance. Or most likely, IMO, a van ... a household with young children is likely to have a minivan.

Perp car didn't have to be a minivan, though. Girls of that age aren't normally noticing exactly what kind of car or truck something is, more likely just the color. (Case in point: the WY abduction witnesses described vehicle as a white sedan, but in fact it was a white SUV.)

Still catching up, but can you explain the Subaru theory? I know it seems everybody in Boulder has a Subaru, but.... :)

(p.s. I have one too, they're the best)

I am just wondering what others opinions are of this perp being caught. Being a Colorado native and seeing many of these cases here go cold I have to say I am not that optimistic, which is sad.

Does anyone remember little Alie Berellez? She was abducted in broad daylight in 1993 or 92 I believe while in the company of other little children eating pizza. It did turn out to be a neighbor, but by the time DNA technology caught up and they could arrest him, he had already died of natural causes.

Others that are still cold and I know I am missing many, many more.

Marilee Burt
Jacob McKnight
The Bennett Family
Of course Jon Benet Ramsey
There was also a little paperboy murdered in his own home in the 70's I think

The police just don't seem to have a very good track record when it comes to child murders, abductions here. I think a lot of it is the perp does not know the victim so there is no way to tie them and lack of DNA. Or in the Bennett family murder case, DNA and not a soul to match it to.

Aarone Thompson :(
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/t/thompson_aarone.html

ITA-I also think that the kidnapping of the WY girl gave it more attention to-jmo

Definitely agree with that reasoning. Although I never suspected the two to be connected, just the fact that there was a recent abduction in WY created more speculation. That fact coupled with the "candyman" a month ago created a firestorm. I don't think the perp was aware of these other events prior to abducting Jessica. That may be one of his mistakes because I don't believe he was expecting this to get as much coverage as it did early on. I think he believed he might have had more time. And its even scarier to think of what he would have done with that extra time...

Still catching up, but can you explain the Subaru theory? I know it seems everybody in Boulder has a Subaru, but.... :)

(p.s. I have one too, they're the best)

I have a Subaru too ... doesn't everyone in Colorado have one? I remember when we bought our last one that Colorado sells the most Subaru's by far!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jasonax3