CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps the cross was purchased at a crafts fair, or at a crafts vendor booth at a larger fair, e.g., County or State.

Crafts fairs are popular as this end-of-the-year holiday time approaches, and I wonder if we WS-ers could stroll some of these fairs, particularly in Colorado, to see if this type of cross is available for sale and-- if so -- notify authorities about its location.

Not sure who to notify right away, but perhaps the vendor could be approached by the local LE, who could inquire about any records that might exist of their past purchasers. . . .Just a thought! And MOO.

I am a vendor at craft shows so I will look... I'm not in Colorado, but it does look like something along those lines. I have also seen mass produced similar jewelry at open air flea markets.

This link was posted earlier but I'm struck by the part I bolded. How could the cross tell LE if the attempted abductions are related to Jessica? Any thoughts?

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ica-ridgeways-killer-need-help-identifying-it

"This is a piece where we believe in working with the district attorney and recognizing the significance of showing it to the public helping who this individual may be," said Westminster police spokesman Trevor Materasso. "We believe it's going to help confirm or rule that these cases are not connected or potentially connected.

Maybe it has DNA or a fingerprint/partial fingerprint (of unknown origin)?

Interestingly, there is a wood very similar in color called wenge. It is often called patridge wood, as well.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Have just spent the last 2 hrs online trying to find a cross like the one LE posted. Nothing. The cross from Jessica's case is quite asymmetrical - I don't spend a lot of time researching crosses, but almost all the ones I viewed in searches tonight were very balanced & symmetrical. I know some have commented on it's "creepiness" & I wonder if this may be one reason why (apart from the obvious creepy connection to this case). It almost seems it could either have been carved that way intentionally or by someone with very primitive skills as an artist.

I mentioned yesterday that I think "light skinned" means "we think he is Caucasian but we don't want the public to ignore a suspicious person of another race that might appear Caucasian".
I think this because I hear LE in general give descriptors such as "light skinned African American" or "Light skinned Latino", so I assume the lack of an ethnic identifier "means race unknown but most likely Caucasian."

I'm just checking in to see if there are any updates. What's going on with the cross? Did LE find it? Where was it found?

TIA

The cross could be something he made at camp as a kid.. looks pretty 'basic' to me :moo:

wow am just catching up now, and this whole cross thing has really given me the heebeegeebees............what could it all mean??

One thing is for sure, wouldn't mind being a fly on the wall in that LE room right now...

For LE to toss out a clue, I say thank goodness it's a cross. I'd much rather google and read about crosses, than say, an icepick.

I'm just checking in to see if there are any updates. What's going on with the cross? Did LE find it? Where was it found?

TIA

Check the previous page or two, it's all that's being discussed. Lots of links.

Dh took one look at that cross and said "it's a priest, Catholic". He went to Catholic school in Denver, elementary & high schools.

JR's family is catholic. kids trust priests.

I too think it was self made.

I'm not sure if I agree. The hole is a clean drill, the cross is very rudimentary, but the aged and distressed look is fairly trendy right now. My best guess is that it was purchased cheaply at an outdoor market, or you know those gas station conveniance stores near big tourist cities that sell cheap jewelry... I think it came with the tiny multiple etched lines and the owner added the 3 on the front and back...MOO

The Westminster FB page has several pics of this cross:

Westminster Police Department

For Immediate Release
Direct: (303) 658-4427 Dispatch: (303) 658-4360
Prepared by: Investigator Trevor Materasso
Case Number: 2012-16605
Subject: Jessica Ridgeway - Police Release Photograph of Cross

Date – October 19, 2012

A cross recovered during the Jessica Ridgeway investigation could become a pivotal piece of evidence that helps authorities identify and locate Jessica’s killer. In an ongoing attempt to identify the predator responsible for the abduction and murder of Jessica Ridgeway, police are asking the public to look at several pictures to see if these will help lead police to the killer.

Police recovered a wooden cross that is approximately 1 ½ inches tall by 1 inch wide. The cross has a hole drilled through the upper part and appears that it can be or was worn on a necklace. On one side of the cross are three vertical bars etched onto the shorter horizontal section and a zig-zag pattern is carved onto the opposite side. The cross appears to be a solid piece of wood and the upper post portion is offset from the lower post below the short horizontal section.

Authorities are looking for someone who may carry or wear this type of cross, may have recently purchased one of these, or is known to have some association with one. Police are also looking for a local business that may sell these specific crosses. Police believe there may be a connection between the Jessica Ridgeway murder and the attempted abduction at Ketner Lake, and urge the public to specifically look for someone with a cross like this that matches the suspect’s description from Ketner Lake.
[/B]
• Light skinned male
• 18-35 (or someone who’s appearance with a ball cap may look that age)
• Brown hair
• Medium build
• 5’06” to 5’08” (Height can vary above or below these approximations)

Police are asking the community to look through the pictures and call our tip line or send us an email with information that may identify the killer or where he may have got the cross from. Tip line: 303-658-4336 email: PDamberalert@cityofwestminster.us

Any questions regarding this press release or for an interview please contact Investigator Trevor Materasso at 303-658-4427 or through email at: tmateras@cityofwestminster.us

(Above is BBM) I'm finding it hard to keep up with the latest threads and am still trying to catch up so please excuse me for sounding dumb but did the police discover this cross with her remains or elsewhere in the area of where her remains were found? Thanks and I apologise for asking something that is probably very obvious!

I am a vendor at craft shows so I will look... I'm not in Colorado, but it does look like something along those lines. I have also seen mass produced similar jewelry at open air flea markets.

I happen to know that in Oregon there is an event called something like "Alternative Crafts Fair," which is a really big event held annually and run by volunteers. I think many (most) of the volunteers are living or trying to live "off the grid," i.e., as close to nature as possible.I have a hunch the cross could have come from something like this. Is there a similar event in Colorado?

Are you in Oregon by any chance?

TIA.

Maybe 3 victims (the 3 lines) and 2 attempted(the diagonal lines on back)...

Exactly, that is why police want to know if the public has seen anyone wearing this cross. He has personalized it with his own score card, jmo, making it unique to any other.

This link was posted earlier but I'm struck by the part I bolded. How could the cross tell LE if the attempted abductions are related to Jessica? Any thoughts?

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ica-ridgeways-killer-need-help-identifying-it

"This is a piece where we believe in working with the district attorney and recognizing the significance of showing it to the public helping who this individual may be," said Westminster police spokesman Trevor Materasso. "We believe it's going to help confirm or rule that these cases are not connected or potentially connected.

good question. sounds like the DA talked them into releasing it. I'll think on how it could be related.

I checked with 3 Spanish woodcarver artisans here in Santa Fe (area). SF is about 6 1/2 hours from Westminster, Co.

Their opinion (not mine)
hand made
off set is not unique
looked like it had been in water
electric saw used to cut top, bottom and sides (chipped where saw cut)
hole drilled with an electric drill
hole in the wrong place for a necklace - would tip forward
hole too new looking to have been worn with leather/chain
"thought" it might have been used as a pocket cross
thickness threw them off for a necklace too - way too thick
3 lines - they had no clue - too crudely made
zig zag on back - best guess (since I told them it "could" be connected to a murder) was it's the old symbol for fear. Just a guess though since too crudely made.

Left Westminster LE email and phone # with them and asked them to check around with others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3