CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #13

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the Cocteau Twins but when I thought abt a rosary it made this song pop in my head. here are the lyrics to Garlands:

Garlands evergreen
Forget me not wreaths
Chaplets see me drugged
I could die in a rosary
Die in a rosary Die in a rosary Die in a rosary Die in a rosary

<modsnip>
Read more: COCTEAU TWINS - GARLANDS LYRICS
http://www.metrolyrics.com/garlands-lyrics-cocteau-twins.html

:waitasec: I'm slow when it comes to understanding what songs mean. I read the lyrics, but I don't get it. What does it mean?

If the cross does possess DNA, then the perp must not be in the data base. But since they seem to have said they believe the perp was in possession of it, I wonder if it contained DNA that matched other DNA found at the scene, or on Jessica's body.

So if you were innocent, and you owned this, and you couldn't prove where you were, would you tell anyone? I think they should have released this as an item of interest, instead.

I would. Rule me out and move on to other tips. I know they aren't useful in court, but a lie detector would rule me out and let them move on to others.

yes, and why are they releasing this?

My guess is b/c its pretty distinctive! That is something someone might (likely and hopefully!) recall having seen someone wearing (perhaps to work, or in leisure time!). That is something that b/c it is carved / etched with specific markings, someone might be very likely to be able to recognize very quickly - sounds to me like they *really* want this guy off the streets - and rightfully so! Go WPD!!

http://www.etsy.com/transaction/67997377

This cross looks kind of similar (it is under that same Etsy vendor, under sold) ...

I was going to say that the cross from Westminster PD looks to me like it's made from reclaimed wood -- those scratches on the back look like they were in the wood before it was cut, and that's why one end runs clear to the edge. Besides the long marks, there are small vertical marks on both sides.

And comparing this one with the one you found, it does look like walnut, doesn't it?

yes, and why are they releasing this?

Also - by putting this out there, if the perp is tied to it, and he dropped it by accident somewhere, our perp might just be sweating his bag off by now, worried about what they may have learned about him as a result of the find (DNA and any insight they may have garnered about his life, his psyche etc). At least, this is what I'm hoping has happened!

Thanks, I always use those sites for future weather, but didn't notice the historical data. Although, I tried to put in several areas closer to me and when I check historical, it keeps kicking me to Broomfield which says 10 miles visibility which I know wasn't true in my location on those dates.
I think the "Broomfield" location is the Rocky Mountain Regional Airport, which is located very close to Jessica's house, FWIW. Either way, visibility was decent both Oct 5 and 6 in the Westminster and Standley Lake area.

Not trying to argue, but these crosses are very common and sold practically everywhere online, etsy, ebay, fairs, craft shows, flea markets, etc, and could just as easily have been a homemade version or something old that was found by the perp.
That. I've seen crosses like that before too.

I didn't mean to make it sound like it was a dead end -- only that if he was heading back into town, he'd have to drive a long way around.
It's not that far. Going west to 93 probably would have taken him a couple of miles out of his way, but would have also attracted less attention than a 3-point turn.

moo

I was going to say that the cross from Westminster PD looks to me like it's made from reclaimed wood -- those scratches on the back look like they were in the wood before it was cut, and that's why one end runs clear to the edge. Besides the long marks, there are small vertical marks on both sides.

And comparing this one with the one you found, it does look like walnut, doesn't it?

Has anyone sent the etsy link to the PD? They could send seller a pic and ask for info on who has purchased that particular cross. (if this seller actually made this one)

Accuweather.com has past weather information. Click on "Monthly", then you can go back through the months and see precipitation, temp., etc.

Thanks. Behind again as I've been searching for a cross match.

Wunderground has past weather info too. When we're looking for info for a smaller town, only the info from the nearest weather station comes up. Is there a way to get the past weather history information for the small town (in this case Westminster) in question?

This could have easily been found by Jessica while she was walking to school one day. Kids pick up stuff all the time and pocket it, never telling anyone. I hope I am wrong. I hope it's a lead.

If it's freshly made and not used before, and made for the purpose of leaving at the site only, no one will know it ....
I hope that was not the case for many reasons. I hope someone does know it. For it hopefully could be the very piece of evidence leading to justice. ~crossing fingers~

Has anyone mentioned the FB comment that said the zigzag is a symbol for Judas? That seems huge IMO.

"Now this is what I'm talking about"! please share...

http://www.facebook.com/westminsterpolice?ref=stream

Westminster PD

9110 Yates Street, Westminster, CO.
(303) 658-4427

Westminster PD
6 minutes ago
Westminster Police Department

For Immediate Release
Direct: (303) 658-4427 Dispatch: (303) 658-4360
Prepared by: Investigator Trevor Materasso
Case Number: 2012-16605
Subject: Jessica Ridgeway - Police Release Photograph of Cross

Date – October 19, 2012

A cross recovered during the Jessica Ridgeway investigation could become a pivotal piece of evidence that helps authorities identify and locate Jessica’s killer. In an ongoing attempt to identify the predator responsible for the abduction and murder of Jessica Ridgeway, police are asking the public to look at several pictures to see if these will help lead police to the killer.

Police recovered a wooden cross that is approximately 1 ½ inches tall by 1 inch wide. The cross has a hole drilled through the upper part and appears that it can be or was worn on a necklace. On one side of the cross are three vertical bars etched onto the shorter horizontal section and a zig-zag pattern is carved onto the opposite side. The cross appears to be a solid piece of wood and the upper post portion is offset from the lower post below the short horizontal section.

Authorities are looking for someone who may carry or wear this type of cross, may have recently purchased one of these, or is known to have some association with one. Police are also looking for a local business that may sell these specific crosses. Police believe there may be a connection between the Jessica Ridgeway murder and the attempted abduction at Ketner Lake, and urge the public to specifically look for someone with a cross like this that matches the suspect’s description from Ketner Lake.

Was this related to Jessica or the attempted assault of the lady in May?

I located a reference to the off set shape of the cited cross:
Search Google Images "Handmade Wooden Crosses"
This description from a UK website. I will relocate and post.
"A comfort cross, or a holding cross, as it is sometimes called, is an asymmetric cross that is made to fit ergonomically into the palm of one's hand and is used during prayer. It is thought that the holding cross is based on an ancient design found in ancient European chapels. Although the origin of the holding/comfort cross tradition is not known, it is thought that it dates back to the early Christians. Holding crosses are made out of many different types of wood..."
Nice. The offset is correct. The size is off for a full grown person, and the hole is unusual, but still a good find.

I hope the cross was found somewhere besides in the backpack, because if it was in the backpack it may be a random thing Jessica herself picked up off the schoolbus floor or was given in school, and her parents might not have even known it. (I'm saying this because I have a fifth grader and I have cleaned out her bookbag and found a plastic fake mustache, a broken bracelet, and a stone with "love" carved on it, all of which were found or given to her.)
I do trust that LE has a good reason for knowing it s connected to the perp, I just had to play devils advocate.

Interesting thought Marazul. I would guess that LE has ruled out the "random item a kid might have picked up or been given" before they sent this inquiry out to the public.

I am further guessing that they have ruled out the "random Item" possibility because the murderer may have left additional.......tokens..... to taunt LE and the public.

We have a seriously sick, sadistic killer at large.

I located a reference to the off set shape of the cited cross:
Search Google Images "Handmade Wooden Crosses"
This description from a UK website. I will relocate and post.
"A comfort cross, or a holding cross, as it is sometimes called, is an asymmetric cross that is made to fit ergonomically into the palm of one's hand and is used during prayer. It is thought that the holding cross is based on an ancient design found in ancient European chapels. Although the origin of the holding/comfort cross tradition is not known, it is thought that it dates back to the early Christians. Holding crosses are made out of many different types of wood..."

With that info and the fact that it is a small cross, I would be inclined to think it was on a keychain. Then you carry it in your pocket and have it to rub/hold when needed.
JMO

*GRAPHIC Warning*

I am not trying to sensationalize this. I am just adding, if LE is sure it came from the perp, it might have been placed with/in/on the remains.
I am still open to it being found by Jessica and tossed in her backpack weeks earlier, too.
It could have been found
1.with the remains by the perp
2.on the grounds near the remains by an unrelated person before her remains were left
3.in her backpack
4.in some undisclosed correspondence by the perp to LE or to the media or a 3rd party who took it to LE (letter, package)

When I think of the LE involved knowing about this cross (and whatever clues they are rightfully withholding from the public), I wonder how they deal with it. It must play over and over in their minds constantly, trying to make a connection, trying to suss out a lead or clue... I have to give them credit. It weighs on my mind and I am not one who is expected by the public to figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025