CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Timeline of Suspicious Incidents

**This timeline has been edited to incorporate corrections/additions from other sleuthers

May 7, 2009: Janine Johler of Aurora, CO, 38, reported missing

June 12, 2009: Dismembered partial remains of Janine Johler found in apple orchard off Interstate 70, just west of Glenwood Springs

July 2010: Report of an adult female jogger being chased by a man in the Ketner Lake area. She reports a similar suspect description to the attempted abduction/assault in May, 2012 at Ketner Lake.

November 4, 2011: Man exposes and touches himself in front of three 12 year-old girls who were playing outside at the corner of 69th and Robb Streets

November 12, 2011 (~3:00pm): Reported attempted abduction of 12 year-old girl at 7000 Ward Road (near Danny Kendrick Park and the Apex Recreation Center)

November 14, 2011: A 15 year-old girl reported that a man in a silver or white 4-door car approached her, asking for directions, in the area of 77th and Parfet Streets

November 16, 2011 (~8:00pm): A 6 year-old girl was waiting in the lounge area of the YMCA at 6350 Eldridge Street when a man lured her outside. She was able to break free and run back inside to her parents.

March 12, 2012 (~8:00pm): A 15 year-old girl escapes an attempted abduction in a Westminster neighborhood near 110th Place and Harlan Street. The girl reported being followed by a man who appeared to be intoxicated. She was eventually assaulted just across the street from Sheridan Green Elementary School. An SUV passing by distracted the suspect and the girl was able to get away. Suspect is described as Hispanic, 5'5", mid-20s, short/dark hair, muscular build.

May 10, 2012: An 8 year-old boy is grabbed by an assailant matching the description given by the two Lake Ketner victims. The attempted abduction occurred on a trail near Church Ranch Blvd. and U.S. Highway 36. The boy's sister screamed, causing the suspect to release the boy and run away.

May 28, 2012 (~1:15pm): A 22 year-old woman jogging around Ketner Lake is accosted from behind by an unknown assailant who puts a rag with a chemical over her face. She is able to escape and reports a suspect description that is similar to the incident in July 2010 and the incident 3 weeks prior on May 10, 2012.

June 20, 2012 (~2:45pm): A mother observes an Asian female carrying her two year-old son away, towards a white van parked on South Lowell Blvd in Sheridan, CO. The mother was able to intervene and retrieve her son. Police were looking for two suspects -- the female and an African-American male (note similar vehicle description to October 4, 2012 incident).

September 9, 2012 (~5:30pm): A young boy was approached by a man near Quaker Acres Park in Arvada who offered him candy and tried to lure him into his car. The child ran away and alerted an adult.

September 12, 2012 (~5:40pm): A second young boy is offered candy by an unknown man. Again, the child ran away and alerted an adult. The suspect in both candy incidents was believed to be driving a blue, 4-door sedan.

October 4, 2012: Report to Arvada LE of four girls being followed by a white van. The girls returned to school and reported the incident to their principal who called LE.

October 5, 2012: Jessica Ridgeway, age 10, is reported missing.

October 10, 2012: Partial remains of Jessica Ridgeway are found in Arvada, CO park.

October 12, 2012: Remains are identified as Jessica Ridgeway's.

**Please feel free to correct or add to this timeline!

http://abcnews.go.com/US/jessica-ri...tempted-jogger/story?id=17516930#.UILPCHgqPLY

<modsnip>

Does anyone remember if there was a vehicle in Iowa that had Colorado license plates and was trying to abduct kids recently, in August or July?

It's taken quite a while to catch up today.

I wanted to bring this over from the previous thread, posted by Jax49:

"CBS4 has learned that for two days this week, police investigators working on the Jessica Ridgeway murder case thought they might have their man. They were heavily focused on Ari Misha Liggett as the likely suspect, but DNA testing has now cleared Liggett of involvement in the disappearance and death of the 10-year-old girl."

This answers the 'do they have DNA' question.

I guess we don't need to be looking so hard at RSO's, right? Their DNA would be in the system, and LE would be able to make a match.

Also, I would assume if the perp had ever been in prison, his DNA would be on file as well.

Which indicates to me that the perp in Jessica's murder is not an RSO and has never been incarcerated.

Am I interpreting this info correctly?

Link: http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/10/...ment-cleared-of-involvement-in-ridgeway-case/

May 7, 2009: Janine Johler, 38, reported missing

June 12, 2009: Dismembered partial remains of Janine Johler found in Aurora, CO apple orchard off Interstate 70

July 2010: Report of an adult female jogger being chased by a man in the Ketner Lake area. She reports a similar suspect description to the attempted abduction/assault in May, 2012 at Ketner Lake.

November 4, 2011: Man exposes and touches himself in front of three 12 year-old girls who were playing outside at the corner of 69th and Robb Streets

November 12, 2011 (~3:00pm): Reported attempted abduction of 12 year-old girl at 7000 Ward Road (near Danny Kendrick Park and the Apex Recreation Center)

November 14, 2011: A 15 year-old girl reported that a man in a silver or white 4-door car approached her, asking for directions, in the area of 77th and Parfet Streets

November 16, 2011 (~8:00pm): A 6 year-old girl was waiting in the lounge area of the YMCA at 6350 Eldridge Street when a man lured her outside. She was able to break free and run back inside to her parents.

May 28, 2012 (~1:15pm): A 22 year-old woman jogging around Ketner Lake is accosted from behind by an unknown assailant who puts a rag with a chemical over her face. She is able to escape and reports a suspect description that is similar to the incident in July 2010.

September 9, 2012: A young child (age, gender not released) was approached by a man near Quaker Acres Park in Arvada who offered him candy and tried to lure him into his car. The child ran away and alerted an adult.

September 12, 2012: A second young child is offered candy by an unknown man. Again, the child ran away and alerted an adult. The suspect in both candy incidents was believed to be driving a blue, 4-door sedan.

October 10, 2012: Partial remains of Jessica Ridgeway are found in Arvada, CO park.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/jessica-ri...tempted-jogger/story?id=17516930#.UILPCHgqPLY

<modsnip>

there was another attempted abduction of an 8 yo boy. I think near Ketner Park. his sister screamed and although the perp was choking the boy and trying to drag him away, he let go and ran off. this was 3 weeks before JR went missing.

Based on what I know on profiling and psychology , I think that LE might be trying to fish the murder out. The cross information being released might have been to feed the killer the media attention he wants to keep him interested in the coverage of this case. The DNA info being released might be a way to make the murderer nervous. The way they where stating to the public to be careful and the updates with new info released often might be to fed his ego and cause him to react in more predicable ways. Like rope him into a certain type of expected profiled be behavior. Just a thought.

Behavioral Science Unit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

yes, I think they are goading him to act. they've has this cross for a while. I consider they could be trying to get him scared so he'll try to run or hide. they are surely watching certain ppl so they will know who's attempting to hide.

based on this I think LE is linking the Ketner attempted abduction to get a rise out of him. he's probably not the same guy, and putting out the idea of him failing to abduct might make him mad.

Hey guys,

With the new development's, and without a real profile from the feds. I ran some things by Peter(he is not a professional profiler, but he knows more about SK's then anyone I have seen that isn't a former FBI agent. I asked about Pat Browns statement that her sources say on the torso was found. Also the attemped abduction of the woman by the lake. Now this probably isnt 100% accurate, and could be dead wrong. But it is something to think about. He is the one who told me about the meaning of October 5th is also important to Christians.

Here is the second part of that, after seeing the cross. Keep in mind, I didn't know there was a different design on the back. I thought it was just those 3 on the front.

Pretty interesting, but probably not 100% accurate.

May 7, 2009: Janine Johler, 38, reported missing

June 12, 2009: Dismembered partial remains of Janine Johler found in Aurora, CO apple orchard off Interstate 70

May 28, 2012 (~1:15pm): A 22 year-old woman jogging around Ketner Lake is accosted from behind by an unknown assailant who puts a rag with a chemical over her face. She is able to escape and reports a suspect description that is similar to the incident in July 2010.

September 9, 2012: A young child (age, gender not released) was approached by a man near Quaker Acres Park in Arvada who offered him candy and tried to lure him into his car. The child ran away and alerted an adult.

September 12, 2012: A second young child is offered candy by an unknown man. Again, the child ran away and alerted an adult. The suspect in both candy incidents was believed to be driving a blue, 4-door sedan.

<modsnip>

BBM.
Couple corrections. Janine Johler was from Aurora, but her body was found in an apple Orchard off I-70 Just west of Glenwood Springs.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/coldcases/2011/06/05/womans-dismembered-body/2284/

The two candy man attempted abductions in September of 2012 have been confirmed to be young males.

There is also a report of a white van following four girls on October 4th, 2012 which was reported to the Arvada police department.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...of-two-stranger-danger-incidents-in-september

From the previous thread, bbm:

Carbuff, does it look to you like he came from the west, turned around and headed back west? That's what I was trying to convey, but I suck at it lol. Because you're right, if he lived in Westy or Arvada or anywhere besides the canyon, Western Boulder or Golden, that would be going the opposite direction. Since he most likely did this at night, he most likely came from home and wanted to return home to clean himself and his vehicle up, pronto and didn't drive any more than necessary because of his horrible cargo and the risk of getting pulled over. I still think the body was dumped there because it's one of the first available places if he came down from the mountains. Did he cross the road so that people would assume wrongly that he came from the east and deflect attention from his home to the west? I hope this makes sense, I'm about losing myself as it is lol

Sorry to be late getting to this -- I actually went to bed last night.

Yes. Yes, it did. I wasn't sure how the picture was oriented, so I wasn't sure about the directions, but I couldn't find any plausible route that would include the path marked by the yellow ropes for a car coming from the other direction.

I think he paused, dropped the bag on top of the culvert, parked and walked back to pull the bag through the fence, and then went back to his car and went...somewhere.

I've read that some killers go to their jobs or even church services right after the crime, and gloat to themselves over how they have everybody fooled. But going home makes more sense for most people, I think.

Of course none of this makes sense in the way normal people make sense...

My first thought when seeing the cross this morning is that it looks like something I have seen in the gift shop next to the Santuario de Chimayo in the village of Chimayo, New Mexico.

El Santuario de Chimayo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I also thought of Los Hermanos Penitentes.

http://www.rmpbs.org/byways/lca_penitentes.html

Penitentes in Colorado are thought to be centered around the San Luis Valley (around Alamosa) in southern Colorado.

The "slashes" on the back of the cross could represent the self-flagellation practiced by the Penitentes?

Possible that the perp is from southern Colorado but had to relocate to the more populated Denver/Boulder area in order to find employment?

Penitentes practice more openly in many towns and cities in Mexico. Their processions are subjects for many photographers.

Probably way off, but just tossing these thoughts out there.
------------

IMO:

I think you very well could be correct.

I've seen juveniles/adults wearing wooden rosaries--someone brought up Catholic perhaps. I've read that crosses are worn frequently as a (taslisman?) of protection, rather than an expression of being a Christian.

Possibly Jessica ripped the cross off a rosary that the attacker was wearing.

Ok, I think I am officially losing my mind, but this is driving me nuts.

I swear, the cross with the marks on it, I've seen or read about it before. A movie, a book, a tv series, another case, something? Anyone, does it ring a bell to anyone else? At this point I'm not sure if it's from something real or fictional, but it is absolutely driving me nuts. I've been looking for the last hour, but every key word search I come up with all brings me to Jessica's case.

I feel the same way. I have looked at old photos from the last 20 years, did one of my friends own a necklace with a similar cross? I looked at old book titles and considered shows like Law and Order, Criminal Minds etc...

The best I can come up with is a Banana Republic necklace I own with 2 medallions and a wooden key (key is very similar to cross). The necklace is mixed metal and looks like a lot of jewelery sold 2-3 yrs ago.

It also looks like something that Anthropologie would have sold in their charm collection as well.....

I can't place it but it is very familiar and it's driving me crazy.....

Points to ponder:

Trianglulation / Trinity.
Abduction.
Evidence Dump.
Remains Dump.
================
Tribute to Pachuco - Trinity (Father Son HolyGhost).

Evidence Cross
Side 1 - Three equal length, parallel-straight carved lines.
Side 2 - Three equal length, tangential-straight carved lines.
================
Side 1 - Trinity - rigid, straight order, 'normal life'.
Side 2 - Trinity - antagonistic disorder / triangulation, 'crime life'.

Similar to the blown over tree at the culvert crime scene ... a generalized shape of a cross, such as the one shown in this pic showing a pachuco-like 'cross' tree:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2158/2231682925_4655ac9e91.jpg

The cross surface appears not to be smooth-warn, nor polished as they would if the cross were handled or rubbed 'often'.

There appears to be an uneven texture (not of wood, not of stain nor finish coat) covering the surface .. perhaps dried blood or simply appears as such due to photo-color processing by LE to emphasize features for published pics?

In one of the culvert pics, I recall seeing a small-diameter (~ 6 inches) red paint circle evidence location marker .. a good size to encompass the dimensions of the found cross?

Does the perp leave such a cross at every 'final crime scene' (HolyGhost) and LE was fortunate that a waste management crew discovered the culvert site?

Or, did the perp carry only that one cross and without it he's now lost his 'mojo' and no longer has the talisman that 'enables' him to proceed?

Or, was the cross a souvenir saved from a different, unknown victim and the perp inadvertently dropped it?

Or, is it a McGuffin?

yes, I think they are goading him to act. they've has this cross for a while. I consider they could be trying to get him scared so he'll try to run or hide. they are surely watching certain ppl so they will know who's attempting to hide.

I think Westminster PD telling people to only submit tips to the phone number or email address is another way to worry the perp. He probably loves seeing all the guesses and ideas people are making.

there was another attempted abduction of an 8 yo boy. I think near Ketner Park. his sister screamed and although the perp was choking the boy and trying to drag him away, he let go and ran off. this was 3 weeks before JR went missing.

Incident with the attempted abduction of the 8-yr old boy was approximately 3 weeks prior to the Ketner Park jogger abduction...not JR's abduction.

There is something I have not seen mentioned anywhere (certainly have not been able to read all of each thread)---probably haven't seen it mentioned because it is such an unlikely scenario, but the killer did not have to be the one that placed Jessica's backpack on the sidewalk. Anyone could have put it there....a crazy wife, a crazy girlfriend, a crazy relative...someone protecting the killer or following the killer's orders or even collecting money from the killer for the "help" rendered.

I highly doubt this murder was anything other than a solitary crime, with only one person in the know, and I am going along with the general notion that it was probably a local perpetrator. However, IF the killer wanted to flee the area, he could have conceivably done so the day Jessica disappeared if he was not the one that placed the backpack on the sidewalk.

I agree with this. He may have had Jessica herself put it out there. I think this guy enjoys the " thrill" of the game and likes to take risks to up the adrenaline.
If this guy is related to the jogger incident, where he tried to grab her in broad daylight, I think this builds the " thrill seeking" characteristics of this guy.
He thinks he is untouchable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member