CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that's true in Colorado, because JonBenet's house has been for sale for years, and there's ZERO mention of a murder happening in that house on any of the real estate pages. Maybe they mention it when you're about to sign the papers...

In Iowa, the disclosure happens when you're doing the big paper sign. In other words, once you've fallen in love with the property!

Didn't bother me any to know that a grandmother died here surrounded by her family. Seems peaceful and quite the way I want to go when my time comes.

I am not shocked that the suspect is a teen, I did think it was possible a while back, but I thought it would be a couple of teen boys, not a lone type. Maybe I just don't find much shocking anymore.

Because he's a minor, does that mean most or all of the court preceedings and docs will be closed and sealed? Also Colorado's laws don't seem so transparent. I'm in the Sunshine State where we roll out a stage and red carpet for every hearing and motion and access to court documents is easier than finding a 7-11. I have questions I'd like answered (don't we all) but I'd be fine with not getting them. The Ridgeways don't need that on blast. Or- am I supposed to say "the defendant is entitled to his privacy"?

No. He;s going to be tried as an adult. Bet on it. Which means everything will be out in the open.

I don't think it works that way. I think you can only trace relations through mitochondrial DNA which runs through the mother, not the dad?

Oh, it's totally started. Talk about bad wiring in the brain, a bad home life, what happened, must be mentally ill, etc.

You know, I buy that if the kid is 14 or younger or if it was a spontaneous thing or even a more remote killing like a shooting from a car, or a fight leading to death, etc.

But this kid dismembered Jessica's little body!!! Do you guys realize the coldness it takes to do something like that? How difficult it is? How bloody? How long it takes? And he apparently tried to abduct a grown woman earlier! This is no poor baby who suddenly lost it!

And I have to really admit to serious frustration when comparing how this creep is viewed compared to the ones who killed Autumn. Really, I have seen ZERO discussion about possible schizophrenia or mental illness when it comes to those boys. No, it's all about how evil they are.

Oh, and yes, there are some who give credit to those perps' mom for turning them in, but I see much more love given to this one and zero suggestion that she only did it for reward money.

I am not happy about the discrepancy in the cases. Especially as this killer seems much more sinister with the dismemberment.

Psychopaths do confess - Jon Roberts, Ted Bundy, Joran Van Der Sloot (about Stephanie Flores), Arthur Gary Bishop, Westley Allan Dodd, etc., etc..

Also, I think it's not 100% correct to say that all psychopaths have zero remorse of any kind. I think it's a spectrum. That's why some serial killers will confess to certain murders but not others - the others being those they felt somehow a bit more bad about - and why they sometimes cover their victim's eyes or faces, so the victim can't "look at them."

It takes a tiny bit of feeling to not want a victim to see you or to not want to admit to certain murders even while admitting to many others.

G - I hear ya - and agree - at the risk of being o/t here, there are a couple pieces in the Pasquale case that lead me to think there is a "diminished capacity" on at least one of the kids - and believe me, I have nothing but kudos for their mom. I guess I have been too quiet lately.

This AS was a a real issue. There is a real pathology here - and it isn't nice. Make no mistake, my heart bleeds for both mothers - but the options and choices made by the perpetrators in both cases extend far beyond that parent's ability to control.

Peace G - love ya

Can a moderator state at the beginning of Jessica's thread that AS's father is NOT THE REALTOR?...Please and thank you!

again: the only way the parents can be discussed is what is in the media. Sleuthing of them is off limits. If you see a post that is sleuthing the parents hit the alert button.

I am curious why people feel that the father's criminal and violent background would not be what affected Austin?

Lots of children grow up in horrible homes and make it out, but whatever happened to him is what I feel caused him to be who he became.

An article said that there were numerous police calls. Domestic violence.

I feel if there was more mandatory counseling with families and children we would have better outcomes.

How many time have I heard from parents who have huge issues that their children are problems, but the parents do not see themselves as playing any role in it. It's the kid's fault. Sorry, I don't see it that way.

Im confident of that, I'm saying how would we have caught him or been on to him? Go backwards from what we know and try to see what was missed? They obviously had the DNA from the jogger who he tried to smother with the rug and Jessica. So knowing that is his MO you search for people who have access to that. And one of the ways to do that is with Formalehyde, then cross reference with that area.

Oh I have no idea what was missed by LE or anyone else.
I have no idea how LE would have
known this kid was the killer.
Without an eye witness, without
someone seeing him and Jessica getting into or out of a car
or going into or out of a home or dwelling...
there was no way to know that he
was the killer....esp without DNA in the database.

From what Ive gathered, LE had NO clue this kid was the
murderer until his mom called in.
I don't really know if that's going backwards is even important now.
What;s important IMO is that he's confessed and he supposedly knows
where the rest of the remains are.
imoo

Now they are saying he was an intesne gamer---Call Of Duty and World of Warcraft.

My 24 yr old plays both of those games. But he works full time, goes to University full time and lives with a wonderful girlfriend and has very little time to actually play games anymore.

But when he was 15, had acne and no license, and no job to keep him busy, he played a lot of video games every day. I don't think they are very good for kids overall, but if you have a balance in your life, and have human contact and beneficial interactions then it is not so detrimental.

But I do think there is a process of desensitization to violence that comes with it. If you add violent video games to hours of gory films then it is not good for our kids psyches, imo.

p.s:

During our sons anti-social years, when he locked himself in his room and played Grand Theft Auto, we had to fight and hassle him to come out and eat dinner with us at the table. Sometimes he won and stayed in his room. But we won many of the battles, and he had to come to the table, washed up and ready to be polite. LOL

Looking back on it, I think it was important to have those battles. Kids at that age are often on the edge of 'being lost.' I remember how he would be cranky and honorary for most of the dinner time, but at some point that same old 'little boy' would peek through. And he would laugh and joke around with us again, before going back into hibernation.

So imo, video games are most dangerous if there is no one around to pull the kids out of that world every once in awhile.

I missed replying to the following post on the last thread:

Originally posted by theforeigner:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Found Deceased CO - *ARREST!*Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #18

I really think you are onto something here. I too see a strong resemblence. Good find!

I realize I'm brand new here, but no, the person in Fort Collins has been arrested and he has no connection to the Ridgeway killing.
http://www.coloradoan.com/article/2...ry-assault?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

I see no resemblance between the perpetrators, or any other tie between the two cases, and am surprised to see the comparison.

I live in Colorado and there has never been an association between these cases. There was just no connection at all.

As for the arrest, thank God. I haven't slept through the night since this happened. I hope Jessica can soon be lovingly and respectfully laid to rest.

It's unfortunate this individual can't receive the death penalty, but his age prohibits it so Colorado will have to fund his room and board from here on out.

He has not only been arrested, he's been convicted. However, the Colorado database didn't kick out a potential link when the DNA from Jessica's case (or possibly the jogger's case) was compared.

And that makes me think that while Sigg's father may well have been swabbed, the results are not yet in the system. I know that many states have horrendous backlogs in processing DNA and they are forced to prioritise. Since Sigg's father doesn't seem to have any sexually related convictions, if Colorado has a backlog he's probably towards the bottom of the pile.

I assume that arrests for things like rape or murder would be given high priority.

I don't know whether his dad's DNA would have been in the actual database or not, because that depends on a lot of factors that folks are bringing up. It's a new law there, so if he committed felonies, he may have done those too early to be included, for example.

But it is interesting that familial DNA may have some relevance to this case. I'm really happy states are beginning to use it.

eta: I also hope many more labs for quick testing are certified and funded! We have one in development here that not only helps against backlogs (YAY!) but is a great source of new jobs in the area, with an inexpensive technical school degree for it and everything. Folks are looking forward to all of the benefits of more DNA labs :)

I did not read her comment like that at all. I have never understood the saying "not playing with a full deck of cards" to indicate anyone with a disability.

LOTS of people use the expression "not playing with a full deck of cards" when referring to those who have mental disabilities, including retardation. Therefore, I took offense.

Those who are wondering about embalming -

The process is merely removing the organs, draining the blood, nd replacing it with the fluid so I imagine this can be done to any body part at any time in any combination the embalmer wishes to do it.

I don't think it works that way. I think you can only trace relations through mitochondrial DNA which runs through the mother, not the dad?

snipped:

NO.
http://www.promega.com/resources/ar...e-investigative-lead-potential-of-dna-typing/

To ensure that the association was a viable lead, the DNA laboratory also typed the evidence and the son for Y STRs. Barring mutation, a father passes his Y STR chromosome intact to his son. Given the discrimination power afforded by current Y STR profiling kits is around 0.999, most false indirect associations can be eliminated(9) (10) (11) . Thus, when using a Y STR match threshold, rarely would an investigator be incorrect in following up the lead provided by the DNA association. The two Y STR profiles were the same, which strongly supports a paternal relationship between the source of the DNA evidence and Franklin's son. Franklin's DNA profile was a direct match to evidence in the murders over the past three decades. This is strong support of the power of Y STRs in this context.

Note: Y STR is MALE DNA passed from father to son.

Young teen neighbor said he always wanted to come over and play at thier house with girls. He played hide n seek with them and tag. Who put the photo of a suspect in a robbery that looks like him with a fuller beard? NG has a photo with him having a fuller beard.

I did, and I have notifyed both Westminster PD and Fort Collins PD.

SBM

Fathers and sons, easiest match to make since they share the same Y chromosome.

I've been trying to catch up but my apologies if I missed something and this has already been discussed....

Remember that "false alarm" where a teenage male in a blue 4-door sedan approached a 13 year-old boy and the boy thought it was an attempted kidnapping, with the mother of the boy snapping a photo of the supposed kidnapper sitting in his car? I know LE ruled the teenager out as a suspect in the JR murder. But, given that we now know AS is a teenager....is there any chance he was the teenager in that blue 4-door sedan? Anyone have a name on that kid or clarification? TIA!!

How do you access the scanner thread? His address I think I remember an address very close to that being mentioned in some capacity.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=377"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Can a moderator state at the beginning of Jessica's thread that AS's father is NOT THE REALTOR?...Please and thank you!

For real.... the market is bad enough, that poor man does not need this false association hindering his business!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChriNBelusk0