CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Scary to think this guy could be out one day. Much older but still out. Not like he is going to grow a conscience while in Prison :banghead: I hope his reading materials etc. are heavily monitored during his Sentence.

uggh, I was beginning to believe that Jessica's abduction had no direct sexual component, although ARS may have gotten some degree of sexual gratification from the killing/desecration aspect. But this recent info makes em rethink that.

http://kdvr.com/2012/10/24/exclusiv...-treated-for-*advertiser censored*-addiction/

I *knew* there would be an arrest. I just knew it.

Poor Jessica... But she can't be harmed again. I don't believe in heaven and hell. But I do believe we are in this existence for a reason. We are meant to experience, love, grow and become more that what we are. We are meant for more than the distractions that face us everyday- the superficial traffic headache, the just-right latte... We are meant to transcend all that. These are simple, basic truths that can be applied to any belief system.
I think if one chooses to succumb to their inner demons, as Jessica's killer did, they destroy what soul they had. There is no repenting. There is no repair. He has destroyed himself. And there will be nothing to keep him intact when he passes on. People often wonder how someone could do what they did and still go about life- showering, sleeping, talking to people. I think they can do it because they are already gone. There is nothing left of what they were. They are a shell.

Jessica will be cared for by the grace of the universe. But there is nothing left for her killer. And that justice will take care of itself.
--
Sorry. Don't mean to go on or come off as preachy. I respect that other people have their own beliefs and ideas. I just wanted to express myself and thoughts. Thank you all for allowing that.

I really like your take on things. Very interesting perspective. Thank you.

I think he and Eric Newman aka Magnotta may have a lot in common and I wouldn't be surprised if he videotaped it. I pray not.

Ugh!

I know it does not matter in the end but to me the fact that he descrated her body..........should that not count overall in his charge??????? People who just shoot their prey at least don't sit and take the body apart.........My God has it come down to this? There should be more to charge him with as this was such a heinous crime, IMO.:banghead::banghead:

I know it does not matter in the end but to me the fact that he descrated her body..........should that not count overall in his charge??????? People who just shoot their prey at least don't sit and take the body apart.........My God has it come down to this? There should be more to charge him with as this was such a heinous crime, IMO.:banghead::banghead:

I personally think they will add on charges such as desecration of a corpse. All they needed for this immediate hearing was enough "cause" to continue to hold him and give the judge a basis for holding without bond.

They have until next Tuesday for actual charges and information. And then they can always amend the charges to add more (In James Holmes case, seems like they are adding charges every hearing.)

I agree. Several posters have stated that they keep rope and things in their car - wouldn't you keep that in the trunk? OK so he grabs her and brings her into the SUV. Wasn't this his Mom's vehicle? Would he just happen to know that she keeps rope in the trunk? Would he really put Jessica in the car, then take the time to run around and grab the rope out of the trunk, knowing that could later be suspicious if he had been seen? I don't think he took that time. I believe the rope or zip ties was/were in the SUV. I don't believe people typically store it there. I think he had it waiting in the back b/c he was out SEARCHING for a victim.

Keep in mind that he is a 17-year-old boy. It was 8:30 AM. Unless they're on their way to work or class, 17-year-old boys would not typically be up and on the road by 8:30 AM, without an agenda - especially a heavy "gamer" who probably stays up late playing. I don't buy that he just drove past her and snapped. He was searching, IMO. He's tried this before.

this has probably been addressed already...but he was in his Jeep Cherokee. I'm assuming he popped the back hatch, threw her in, got in with her, and closed the hatch. Even if the items were not always kept in the car, how hard is it to grab some zip ties and blankets (or a kit he prepared ahead of time, most likely), and get in the car?

Mom was single and he was probably the "man of the house", so to speak. Maybe mom didn't pay a lot of attention to places like the garage if he was the one who did lawn and car maintenance. He could have easily stashed things away in the garage. OR the crawl space. People aren't usually looking in their crawl spaces unless there is a tornado or a pipe that burst.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/06/25/supreme-court-no-more-life-without-parole-for-juveniles/

Supreme Court: No more life without parole for Juveniles

www.foxnews.com/.../supreme-court-no-more-life-without-parole-fo...Jun 25, 2012 – The Supreme Court says it's unconstitutional to sentence juveniles to life in prison without parole for murder. ... The 5-4 decision is in line with others the court has made, including ruling out the death penalty for juveniles and ...

SCOTUS has not determined life without parole sentences for minors as unconstitutional. It did determine life without parole sentences for minors under mandatory minimums as unconstitutional.

State courts can impose LWOP for minors as long as said sentences are not imposed under mandatory minimum statutes, depending upon state statutes.

However, in 2006 the Colorado General Assembly passed a law (and signed by the governor) that will be the prevailing statute in Sigg's case.

My preliminary understanding is that the 2006 changes in Colorado effectively eliminated LWOP for minors in that state charged as adults and requires parole consideration after a minimum of 40 years for minors given life sentences.

Before we go to placing responsibility on SCOTUS, I suggest we get a better understanding of the 2006 Colorado Act.

Sorry I can't provide a simple link to precisely what the 2006 Colorado Act changed, but there is a lot of information out there in Googleland.

Colorado Statutes

Title 17. CORRECTIONS

CORRECTIONAL FACILITIES AND PROGRAMS

Facilities

Article 22.5. Inmate and Parole Time Computation

Part 4. PAROLE ELIGIBILITY AND DISCHARGE FROM CUSTODY

Current through the 2012 First Extraordinary Session
§ 17-22.5-403.7. Parole eligibility - class 1 felony - juvenile offender convicted as adult

(1) As used in this section, "inmate" means a person:
(a)(I) Who is convicted as an adult of a class 1 felony following direct filing of an information or indictment in the district court pursuant to section 19-2-517, C.R.S.; or
(II) Who is convicted as an adult of a class 1 felony following transfer of proceedings to the district court pursuant to section 19-2-518, C.R.S.; and
(b) Who is sentenced to life imprisonment with the possibility of parole after serving a period of forty calendar years as provided in section 18-1.3-401(4) (b), C.R.S.
(2) The governor may grant parole to an inmate prior to the inmate's parole eligibility date if, in the governor's opinion, extraordinary mitigating circumstances exist and the inmate's release from institutional custody is compatible with the safety and welfare of society.
(3) Upon application for parole by an inmate, the state board of parole, working in conjunction with the department and using the guidelines established pursuant to section 17-22.5-404, shall determine whether to grant parole. If the state board of parole determines that placing the inmate on parole is appropriate, the inmate shall remain in the legal custody of the department of corrections for the remainder of his or her life. If an application for parole is refused by the state board of parole, the state board of parole shall reconsider within five years thereafter whether the inmate should be granted parole. The state board of parole shall continue such reconsideration at least once every five years thereafter until the inmate is granted parole.
(4)(a) If the state board of parole grants parole pursuant to subsection (3) of this section, the division of adult parole shall provide parole supervision and assistance in securing employment, housing, and such other services as may affect the successful reintegration of the inmate into the community while recognizing the need for public safety.
(b) The conditions for parole for the inmate under this subsection (4) shall be established pursuant to section 17-22.5-404 by the state board of parole prior to the inmate's release from incarceration. Upon a determination that the conditions of parole have been violated in a parole revocation proceeding, the state board of parole shall:
(I) Continue the parole in effect;
(II) Modify the conditions of parole if circumstances then shown to exist require such modifications and set forth those circumstances in writing; or
(III) Revoke the parole and order the return of the inmate to a place of confinement designated by the executive director for any period of time remaining on the inmate's sentence to incarceration.
(c) An inmate who has been reincarcerated due to a parole revocation pursuant to this subsection (4) shall be eligible for parole at any time during the reincarceration.
(5)(a) If an inmate is subsequently reincarcerated pursuant to paragraph (b) of subsection (4) of this section, following reincarceration, the inmate may apply for parole and the state board of parole, working in conjunction with the department and using the guidelines established pursuant to section 17-22.5-404, shall determine whether to grant parole. If the state board of parole refuses the application for parole, the state board of parole shall reconsider within one year thereafter whether the inmate should be granted parole. The state board of parole shall continue such reconsideration each year thereafter, until the board grants the inmate parole.
(b) If the state board of parole grants parole to an inmate pursuant to paragraph (a) of this subsection (5), the provisions of subsection (4) of this section shall apply while the inmate is serving the remainder of the period of parole.
Cite as C.R.S § 17-22.5-403.7

History. L. 2006: Entire section added, p. 1053, § 5, effective May 25.

Cross References:

For the legislative declaration contained in the 2006 act enacting this section, see section 1 of chapter 228, Session Laws of Colorado 2006.

http://search.jurisearch.com/NLLXML...12&Title=17&datatype=S&noheader=1&nojumpmsg=0

I think he and Eric Newman aka Magnotta may have a lot in common and I wouldn't be surprised if he videotaped it. I pray not.

Ugh!

We sure learned a lot about the :"deep web" or "dark web" during that one....that almost did me in.

Kelly Werthmann ‏@KellyCBS4

Section of 102nd Ave in front of #AustinSigg's home is still blocked by police for ongoing investigation at house. pic.twitter.com/3PqmPD1s

Scary to think this guy could be out one day. Much older but still out. Not like he is going to grow a conscience while in Prison :banghead: I hope his reading materials etc. are heavily monitored during his Sentence.

And 57 isn't even very old. I know plenty of healthy and fit people in that age bracket. My dad is in his 50s and he still climbs trees to cut down dead limbs. No ladder, etc. and he doesn't even work out. A prison has a gym, etc. and these guys have nothing but time. Unless someone "handles" him on the inside and he doesn't make it out alive he could be in a very able physical state if he's released in 40 years.

Authorities also said at a court hearing Thursday for 17-year-old Austin Reed Sigg that they have "overwhelming" DNA evidence against the suspect, who kept his head bowed for much of his time in court and said very little.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...remains-found-victim-colorado-search/1656495/

The 17-year-old arrested in connection to the abduction, murder and dismemberment of 10-year-old Jessica Ridgeway made his first court appearance today, remaining calm as the judge announced that he will be tried as an adult.

<snip>

He was calm throughout the proceedings, interrupting the judge once to say he had not understood part of the hearing. It was explained to him by his court-appointed attorney.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/jessica-ri...igg-calm-court/story?id=17558599#.UIl7OW_XZik

He kept his head bowed for much of the time and asked only one question during the hearing, which was for clarification on his rights as a defendant.

The judge told Sigg to consult with his attorneys for clarification, which he briefly did, then nodded to the judge to apparently indicate that he understood.

In arguing to deny bail to Sigg, Jefferson County Deputy District Attorney Hal Sargent said that investigators have obtained "a confession and DNA evidence."
"The evidence is overwhelming," he said.

A police custody report released on Wednesday said Sigg waived his right to counsel when investigators first spoke to him, in another indication he might have discussed the crimes.

During the hearing, Sigg made eye contact at one point with relatives of Ridgeway, who were in the courtroom wearing purple ribbons in the girl's memory.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...has-confessed-to-jessica-ridgeway-murder?lite

@TreeClimbingGirl - you are a brave soul. I know that it goes on but most of it just want to stick our heads in the sand. Thank you for sharing. A lot to think about.
-------------------

Thank you TreeClimbingGirl for your bravery and research.

And SailorMoon, I know that neither you nor many of us here choose to stick our proverbial heads in the sand. Those are the people who seem to be able to ignore and deny. We are not those people.

However, I do think there are very few of us equipped with the necessary "armour" to investigate that dark world and remain "unscathed."

Ugh!

I had those very same thoughts, n/t.

Slightly OT
I know most parents are aware of this, and I am not trying to talk down to anyone, but I just want to remind parents, on the topic of Internet safety, that the hand held devices have changed the game.
5 years ago, my daughter had a laptop which was parentally controlled, limited, and only used in public spaces, and an iPod nano, which only played music that she downloaded with my permission from the laptop. The laptop stayed overnight in the family room, she tool her iPod to bed to connect to speakers and listen to music as she fell asleep.

Now, the iPod touch and kindle and other similar devices have full web browsers, so the kids basically have the whole online world right there in their hands. (yes, you can set controls). Unfortunately, many parents don't realize this, and send their kids off to their rooms for the night with these devices. Innocent curiousity can turn into accidental discoveries and those can lead to other places. There was an instance with some local kids where a middle school gf/bf who hadn't even kissed in person were basically having video sex with their iPods. Otherwise good kids, but too much freedom and privacy and curiosity and hormones. It was quite the scandal. The boy took screenshots of this, they were shared. His mother said "I thought it was only for music, but I realize he was actually basically producing and distributing child *advertiser censored*." Yes, LE was involved. Luckily both families worked with LE and I don't know the details, but both sets of parents share the story as a warning so at least a amiable conclusion was reached.

We have to be very careful.

I know this was meant as a general response, but I'd like to clarify my "why" was rhetorical. The question I asked is as such because it is unanswerable. Why are there people like this? Why do they exist? What is the purpose? Concerning biology and experiences that mold their characters I understand, but on a grander, cosmic scheme I cannot comprehend why evil and sickness such as this exist.

Thanks. You are right that I was just posting my opinion in a general way based on the perps own alleged statements (if the news people got it right).

You also have a good question in your context, and that is still a good open question. I've often wondered it myself, especially since for me, I do believe in creation, so I wonder why are things "allowed" to be as they are. You are right that some things are unanswerable, and this is probably one of them.
The best answer I got from a preacher once, is related to the "free will" theory.

My dad told me a funny thought that I will never forget. It was in relation to some people who say "if their time has come, then their time has come". Well, my dad said....what if I am on an airplane, and it is the guy's next to me time to go. LOL Thoughts like this are probably unanswerable. LOL

uggh, I was beginning to believe that Jessica's abduction had no direct sexual component, although ARS may have gotten some degree of sexual gratification from the killing/desecration aspect. But this recent info makes em rethink that.

http://kdvr.com/2012/10/24/exclusiv...-treated-for-*advertiser censored*-addiction/

Did KDVR receive this information from a neighbor? I wonder if he was an inpatient and treated for more than an obsession with *advertiser censored*.

Psychiatric patients and their families are not always honest with their neighbors/coworkers about why their child had to be hospitalized. Few people tell their neighbors that their teen was hospitalized because he was having auditory and/or visual hallucinations, having homicidal thoughts, obsessing about a specific delusions, and etc.... The neighbors would be frightened and tell many other people. The parents don't readily share such info because their already ostracized teen would become even more of a pariah in his town. (In this case, having the neighbors watch him closely and contact the police if his bizarre behavior escalated might have prevented Austin from killing.) :(

Pensfan
verified psychiatric mental health nurse

'Sexual predators/Serial Killers do not have sex with their victims'.. Deja vu...

Edmund Kemper murdered his grandparents at the age 16 & served 5 years in a mental institution. He assisted the staff at the institution and had access to info that would later assist in a ruse that would convince them that he had been cured, insuring his early release. He proceeded to prey on other innocent victims soon after release..

Many of the original LE investigators that worked the Edmund Kemper's case were involved in his later investigations.

There were many excellent expert opinions, theories, etc., concerning Kemper's formative years and his escalation into necrophilia, etc. Edmund Kemper, participated and was very honest & forthcoming in his own opinions, theories, and revelations during prison interviews.

Guess, one of the most interesting revelations to me was that Kemper began fantasizing at a very early age & killing cats/felines(associated with women)
, burying them & later digging them up. When Kemper went through puberty his mind's fantasies changed from felines to females.

Since they were representative of his repressive & overbearing mother. Kemper did not want to have sex with his unsuspecting innocent victims, but to perform sadistic sexual acts on them/rituals...both pre and post mortem..extreme control.. sound familiar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackojohnnie