CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He does fence. :)

Pinto,
Has he seen the PBS NOVA program "Secrets of the Viking Sword"? It has a great story of the very advanced blades that some Vikings had and a modern blacksmith recreating one - for the first time in a thousand years. Excellent program that can be watched online:
The Vikings were among the fiercest warriors of all time. Yet only a select few carried the ultimate weapon of their era: the feared Ulfberht sword. Fashioned using a process that would remain unknown to the Vikings' rivals for centuries, the Ulfberht was a revolutionary high-tech tool as well as a work of art. Considered one of the greatest swords ever made, it remains a fearsome weapon more than a millennium after it last saw battle. But how did Viking sword makers design and build the Ulfberht, and what was its role in history? Now, NOVA uses cutting edge science and old-fashioned detective work to reconstruct the Ulfberht and finally unravel the "Secrets of the Viking Sword."
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient/secrets-viking-sword.html

Does your son sell to Society for Creative Anachronism folk? If he has not explored that market, he should!

AS would have been a pretty crappy CSI. Why would someone who won forensic science awards and studied DNA leave DNA on the backpack/body, leave his cross at a crime scene and leave body parts and other evidence at his own home? I think that most murderers wouldn't make those mistakes, and most don't study criminal science!

IMO, part of his fantasy was getting caught. I don't think his first intention was a child, but the failed attempt to kidnap the woman jogger, he had to make it "easier" on himself. I hate to say this but I think for him its going to be a "I wanted to know what it felt like" scenario...and then progressed into this is going to make me famous

I agree with your last sentence, it is ironic; the same teen who would be considered a child if a victim is instantly an adult, in most views, when the suspect.

Sure, but Joran van der Sloot was 17 when he murdered Natalie Holloway. He was treated as a child by the courts, and as a result he was free to murder Stephanie Fores five years later, to the day.

Austin Sigg is not a victim any more than Joran van der Sloot was a victim.

I think it's a leap to say watching *advertiser censored* will lead to an addiction to *advertiser censored* and/or will then lead to violence. Ditto video games and every other thing that gets brought up as people try to make sense of that which makes no sense. Does it happen sometimes? Yes. It happens in individuals who are predisposed to being violent anyway. If not one thing it would be another.

Everyone wants to know why, and wants to point a finger somewhere. It has to be someone's fault, just has to! But there are no simple or pat answers. You can't make sense of something like this. This kid has brain wiring and a structure and environment around him that created a perfect storm of evil. He is someone who will need to be studied by experts. It will never "make sense." I don't know how something like this can be prevented because most parents, most of the time, think their sons and daughters are wonderful and good and cannot conceive of this--that comes up over and over in cases where the perp is under 21.

As an aside, if this 17 year old were a murder victim instead of the perp, he'd be referred to as a "child" or a "baby" by many folks. I personally find that ironic.

I haven't seen any posts saying that anyone/everyone looking at *advertiser censored* will be addicted to it. Nor video games. My son played a lot of icky video games online and I am sure he looked at *advertiser censored* at some point in his life. I didn't like Grand Theft Auto, but I didnt think he was going to become a cop killer or a pimp because of it. He played it quite a bit when he was a teen who hibernated in his messy room.

But he had a family that was very involved in his life and he had other positive experiences pushing back against the vulgarity and violence of the mind numbing past time. Lots of kids don't have a positive balance. It is those kids,
with no friends, dysfunctional families, and no other diversions or past times,
that fall into the addiction trap.

I would never blame a killing upon someone's addiction to *advertiser censored* or violent games. But I would say that if a kid becomes overly saturated with violent activities, like torture *advertiser censored*, and violent games, and devotes hours and hours of his daily focus to violence and sexual torture, the chance that he will act out in a bad way is greatly increased.

Hi everyone, I'm a new member and I found this place because of the JR case. I looked for an "introduce yourself" thread but didn't see one.

It's just such a sad case, why does it always have to be the sweet, innocent ones? The ones who never really had a chance against them?

Anyway, I agree with not looking at information that is from the viewpoint of murderers, molesters and the criminally insane. You can't just forget about it, and it is so revolting. I remember reading a confession of a serial child molester and murderer. I can't remember his name, but the detail in which he described the rape and murders of little boys and girls was so disgusting and disturbing I wish I never read it. I was looking for information on protecting children from sex offenders and somehow I came upon the link to this murderer's confession. I don't even understand how people can be so vile. It taught me a good lesson though that there are monsters out there that are completely void of any humanity.

IMO, part of his fantasy was getting caught. I don't think his first intention was a child, but the failed attempt to kidnap the woman jogger, he had to make it "easier" on himself. I hate to say this but I think for him its going to be a "I wanted to know what it felt like" scenario...and then progressed into this is going to make me famous

You may have something there.

Another thing to share. A lot of people actually WANT to go to jail. It is an easier life. Cot and 3 squares.

A few have told me, when out on a program, they wanted to go back b/c in jail they knew what was what and who was who.

In other words, once everyone got a place in jail, they had it. You knew who was a rat, who was a person to trust, what emotions would go down.

I thought in Miller v Alabama, SCOTUS ruled that there can be no MANDATORY LWOP sentences but LWOP is still an option. For example, here in Louisiana a 1st Degree Murder conviction has 2 possible sentences: a true life without parole (offender spends the rest of his natural life in prison) or the death penalty. A juvenile facing 1st Degree Murder charge would have to have an additional option and no death penalty option because the sentence for the charge is a mandatory LWOP. The judge could still sentence the juvenile to LWOP, though.

My personal option on Miller v Alabama is that it should ONLY apply to Juvenile offenders being tried as juveniles. An offender on the cusp of majority like Austin being tried as an adult should be considered an adult throughout the entire judicial process, including sentencing.

I totally agree. tried as an adult - punished as an adult. I don't care if his prefrontal cortex isn't fully developed yet. I don't want to see what he'll be like when it is. it's not going to make him better.

He's the pres. CEO of a media company.

If we're talking about Austin's father:

"He also had an assault arrest in Jefferson County and a drug dealing arrest in Weld County.

The FBI arrested Robert Sigg and he was convicted in 2006 for involvement in a mortgage fraud scheme.

Records show Robert Sigg has been married and divorced several times and has been wrapped up in dozens of civil actions over money."

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/10/25/murder-suspects-father-releases-statement/

Um, there are lots of murderers under 21. He will not be studied, he did not make it to a lifelong path of many victims fortunately.

I didn't say he would be studied, I said he is someone who will need to be studied (if one is to try and figure out the "why" and "how" he got that way). The throwing out of theories (*advertiser censored*! video games! anime! movies!) isn't going to answer the big questions nor prevent it from happening. You're right--it isn't that uncommon to find murderers under the age of 18. The good news is most of them do get caught.

There has been no mention of it in MSM only on websleuths. It was posted a few threads ago by someone who said they heard it as a rumor.

IT IS ONLY A RUMOR. and it's horrible and sick at that. let's not perpetuate it, eh?

the killer of Somer Thompson pled guilty to avoid the death penalty.

I hope AS pleads guilty, although there is not much to offer him, is there, for pleading guilty?

I don't think the community needs the expense or the horror of a trial. The Ridgeways certainly do not need to have this drag on forever.

It will be interesting if Dad provides an attorney. One for this kind of case would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, is my guess.

AS would have been a pretty crappy CSI. Why would someone who won forensic science awards and studied DNA leave DNA on the backpack/body, leave his cross at a crime scene and leave body parts and other evidence at his own home? I think that most murderers wouldn't make those mistakes, and most don't study criminal science!

It is possible that he left clues, and such because he wanted to get caught. Perhaps some part of him realized that he wasn't well, and needed a lot of help or to be segregated from society in order to do no harm.

His attempted abduction makes me think that perhaps he realized long ago that he was potentially dangerous. I'd love to know what led to treatment for *advertiser censored* addiction a few years ago? Did someone catch him at it? Did he tell someone about it? If he told someone about his addiction, then it might mean he had some idea that something wasn't right....

Regardless, it doesn't help bring Jessica back now!! How horrific!
#justiceforjessica

Hi everyone, I'm a new member and I found this place because of the JR case. I looked for an "introduce yourself" thread but didn't see one.

It's just such a sad case, why does it always have to be the sweet, innocent ones? The ones who never really had a chance against them?

Anyway, I agree with not looking at information that is from the viewpoint of murderers, molesters and the criminally insane. You can't just forget about it, and it is so revolting. I remember reading a confession of a serial child molester and murderer. I can't remember his name, but the detail in which he described the rape and murders of little boys and girls was so disgusting and disturbing I wish I never read it. I was looking for information on protecting children from sex offenders and somehow I came upon the link to this murderer's confession. I don't even understand how people can be so vile. It taught me a good lesson though that there are monsters out there that are completely void of any humanity.

Welcome to WS. :seeya:

Exactly. A perfect storm of genetics, personality, upbringing, environment. Plenty of people watch online *advertiser censored*, play violent video games, and do not end up like this kid.

Brain injury or damage is being increasingly linked to this sort of violence.

If AS's father was a drug user then it is possible that his DNA was damaged before he was even conceived.

We may be seeing an increase in violent children because of damaged genetic material inherited from drug using parents of either sex.

AS may be another Alyssa Bustamante - just wanted to find out how it felt.

The wiring is wrong, and has been wrong since they came out of the womb...perhaps before they were even concieved. They just don't think like normal people, and perhaps it's because they physically can't.

Who is to blame if damaged DNA this is the cause of their deficiencies?

We need more research into the potential generational effects of long term drug abuse.

I think his mother needs to change the family name and move to a new area ... close enough to attend the trial, but hopefully far enough away to protect him.

ITA but, she'll never be abe to sell THAT house, IMO.

Exactly. A perfect storm of genetics, personality, upbringing, environment. Plenty of people watch online *advertiser censored*, play violent video games, and do not end up like this kid.

Can obsession with *advertiser censored* result in a blurring of fantasy and reality?

"Computer analysts found the Dutch engineer appeared to have a fascination with *advertiser censored* depicting violence towards women. In some of the films he viewed, men held women by the neck while they had sex.

Detectives were particularly interested by three images of a slight, blonde-haired woman resembling Yeates who in one shot was pulling up her pink top to expose her breasts. When Yeates's body was found three miles from her Bristol flat, her pink top was pulled up exposing her bra and part of one breast. Tabak's DNA was found on her chest.

There is little that seems extraordinary in Tabak's life before the events of last year. He was born in 1978 and brought up in the small town of Uden, near Eindhoven in the Netherlands. He has three sisters and a brother. At the age of 18 Tabak began studying at the faculty of architecture, building and planning at Eindhoven University of Technology. He graduated in 2003 with a master of science degree and started a PhD, his topic how people use space in buildings and public areas."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/oct/28/vincent-tabak-*advertiser censored*-searches-jury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drella444