CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct. 2012 - #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some potential info, but not sure if I can share it. So I want to ask an admin first, and I don't really know how to do that. :) So I'll post here, then hit that little 'report post' thingy.

Exhaust Hose
When working on any sort of vehicle, eventually you come to the point where you will need to start the vehicle in doors. If it is because it is freezing out and you want the doors closed and the heat in, or just because it is late and you don't want to wake up the neighbors. Getting some exhaust hose will make it possible to do everything you need, while not dying of asphyxiation.

For a normal garage, a simple exhaust hose run from the tail pipe out under the garage door will work well, for someone doing more extreme work, perhaps on multiple vehicles, we carry larger ventilators that will suck the exhaust fumes out of the area. Those fumes are then sent down a long hose to where ever you would like the tube to come out of.

Lots of pictures of apparatus at link:

http://www.carguygarage.com/exhausthose.html
<snipped>
bbm - Gads... I didn't know that when I "amen'd" Otto's reply.

Wow... after reading your post, I'll be studying the garage doors of my auto mechanic when I finally get there to renew my expired inspection sticker. :)

If, however, he has such an "exhaust door" cut into his big garage doors, I'll still recommend that ppl who aren't "experts," never try this at home.

I can't imagine that anyone would keep a car engine running in an attached garage with the garage door closed. That would be suicidal ... and no small, filtered opening near the ground would make it any safer.

How the farmers in my area do it is to run a piece of hose between the vehicle exhaust pipe and the vent opening in the garage door. The end of the hose that connects to the vehicle has a top on it with a fitted cut out for the vehicle exhaust; the end of the hose that connects to the vent opening is fitted into place.

Here in Iowa, you almost have to have a way to work on your vehicles in the garage in the winter, considering that Iowa can have winter days where the high is below zero F.

I've never heard of anyone dying from working on a vehicle that way. There may be a small amount of exhaust leakage into the garage but I've never smelled it or suffered any noticeable effects from it.

Considering the go-kart racing, etc, it doesn't seem too far out there to think he may have done some of his own vehicle work.

ETA: when the vent hole isn't in use, there's usually a cap or plug in it to keep the wind, snow, rain and small animals out. Cats aren't bad but once a squirrel thinks it has found a good place to nest, it is darn near impossible to evict them!

Which is why I can never be a supporter of the Death Penalty. Forcibly putting someone else to death, no matter the circumstances, is a sin.

:cow:

Me too. I will never understand the rationale of people who want to kill someone, for killing someone else. Not that I will lose any sleep if a murderer gets executed. But still that type of logic just hurts my brain.:banghead:

How the farmers in my area do it is to run a piece of hose between the vehicle exhaust pipe and the vent opening in the garage door. The end of the hose that connects to the vehicle has a top on it with a fitted cut out for the vehicle exhaust; the end of the hose that connects to the vent opening is fitted into place.

Here in Iowa, you almost have to have a way to work on your vehicles in the garage in the winter, considering that Iowa can have winter days where the high is below zero F.

I've never heard of anyone dying from working on a vehicle that way. There may be a small amount of exhaust leakage into the garage but I've never smelled it or suffered any noticeable effects from it.

Considering the go-kart racing, etc, it doesn't seem too far out there to think he may have done some of his own vehicle work.

ETA: when the vent hole isn't in use, there's usually a cap or plug in it to keep the wind, snow, rain and small animals out. Cats aren't bad but once a squirrel thinks it has found a good place to nest, it is darn near impossible to evict them!

I'm the 1st to admit that this "exhaust escape" is totally new to me.

However, in spite of me having nothing but the greatest repect you, GrannieDhu, why wouldn't the mechanics/farmers simply temporarily raise the garage doors to test whether or not the vehicle will now start/run properly? IDK...

Absolutely he stalked her, even if it was just for one day.

I do wonder if he saw her one afternoon walking alone and followed her home.

Went and did a drive by one morning...or maybe every morning for a week.

There is also a good chance that she was not the only one he was watching, in my opinion.

:sick:

I was thinking the same thing, Steel -- He attended Witt Elementary, IIRC, when he was her age, so he knows where she's headed -- especially if he has been watching her and/or possibly others. She just may have been the one child who was walking to school when he was cruising. If he was cruising...

IMO, he had plenty of time to think, to fantasize, and he had an idea for an "adventure," so he made plans. The Big Day -- he had the rope, zip-ties (if he used them), and the chemical-soaked rag in a jar, all in his car. A little adventure kit. How exciting, huh? And he got lucky.
icon8.gif

No, still looking for the secondary crime scene. Some of us are suspecting it very well may have been in the family home and LE aren't releasing that info.

Just curious . Does anybody here think that one of the many abandoned industrial buildings along the road where her body was found, could have been the secondary crime scene? Maybe he even dismembered the body in one of those buildings. Then loaded parts in his car, and left the rest on the side of the road.

I know the police spend a lot of days searching that entire area. Seems to me that abandoned building would a likely place for a crime like this to take place, and given the close proximity to were the body was found.

However, in spite of me having nothing but the greatest repect you, GrannieDhu, why wouldn't the mechanics/farmers simply temporarily raise the garage doors to test whether or not the vehicle will now start/run properly? IDK...

To keep the cold air out maybe? A car may have to run for sometime, to make sure its running right. I can't think of anything worse then trying work on cold metal, after the garage door as been open for a while. At best a garage temperature would probably be around 60 degrees in cold weather. Making it colder then that by opening the door, would get pretty unpleasant for the mechanic.

Just curious . Does anybody here think that one of the many abandoned industrial buildings along the road where her body was found, could have been the secondary crime scene? Maybe he even dismembered the body in one of those buildings. Then loaded parts in his car, and left the rest on the side of the road.

I know the police spend a lot of days searching that entire area. Seems to me that abandoned building would a likely place for a crime like this to take place, and given the close proximity to were the body was found.

Chemicals, dismemberment, forensic studies all spell out one thing to me.

He's got a morgue/laboratory somewhere.

Where ever it is, it will be clean and dry and secure. I doubt he performed his experiments somewhere unsanitary or liable for contamination or accidental discovery.

Again, it hints toward an accomplice.

Just my opinion based on ARS planning behaviour in general.

ETA - for those who have ever been in a high tech garage for servicing cars, those places are spotless. Something like that would be perfect.

Where ever it is, it will be clean and dry and secure. I doubt he performed his experiments somewhere unsanitary or liable for contamination or accidental discovery.

I hate to say this but he may have surgical tools.
Wasn't it rumored that her little clothes were neatly folded in her backpack?
Did he do that?
If so then he does not like messes.
He may have some stuff right in the home, telling mom he needed
certain things for school projects????

ETA - for those who have ever been in a high tech garage for servicing cars, those places are spotless. Something like that would be perfect.

I agree with you and brought this up very early on. He has had to have someplace to work with all his experiments, etc. Not sure there is an accomplice, but I think someone knows where this place is. jmo

Interesting, but I'm not sure that the investigators agree with you though. The charges against Sigg, state that he was acting alone.

As for accidental discovery, he did leave the body in a culvert, where it was quickly discovered. Also why would he be concerned about the sanitary conditions for a dead body? I guess I was more under the impression that he was just chopping the body up to move it or dispose of it. You think that he was actually performed experiments on it?

I'm a new Websleuth user and I live in Westminster, Co.
I'm just now able to register and join in on your discussions, although I have been following it for the last month. This has been such a horrible event for our community. I used to live 2 blocks away from where ARS lives and my son attended Witt Elementry (when he was little).
This blog has been like therapy for me. When there is no explanation for such a horrific tragedy, I have found solace in the knowledge of everyones posts. (I have always believed that knowledge is power).
I want to thank all of you so much for your information and posts.
Hopefully I can bring new insight and information as more details unfold on this case and information is made available to our community.

My Love to the Ridgeway Family.

Sure, maybe. That would probably heavily depend on how abandoned it is...for example there are some vacant buildings that I sometimes jog by, and just from my perspective on the street I can see that they're overgrown and seem to be in a general state of disrepair. But yesterday as I was trotting by one such building I caught a closer look at some "no trespassing" and "this property protected by [secruity company]" signs and what appear to be a couple security cameras. Your guess is as good as mine as to how Functional all this is, of course. I have known a couple property owners though, who do monitor "abandoned" property because they are concerned about liability issues should a trespasser sustain an injury while on the property. Also, they may be between renters so they're not gonna put a whole lot into upkeep but they don't want it totally destroyed, either. Just things I would have in the back of my mind if I were hunting for a place to sneak about.

I'm just now able to register and join in on your discussions, although I have been following it for the last month. This has been such a horrible event for our community. I used to live 2 blocks away from where ARS lives and my son attended Witt Elementry (when he was little).
This blog has been like therapy for me. When there is no explanation for such a horrific tragedy, I have found solace in the knowledge of everyones posts. (I have always believed that knowledge is power).
Hopefully I can bring new insight and information as more details unfold on this case and information is made available to our community.

:welcome: so glad to meet you!

In the winter, it can be very, very cold in Iowa and even if it isn't actively snowing, the wind can be blowing snow. Most of the farmers I know that do their own mechanical work have some type of heater to take the edge off the chill but it takes quite a while to build up the heat to a semi-comfortable level. Just makes sense not to open that whole door unless you are quite certain you are done with that vehicle.

When working on a vehicle, there are times when the mechanic will need for the vehicle to run as long as 15 minutes or more; for instance, sometimes the problem is only apparent when the engine has gotten really hot. Or they fiddle with the insides, test it by starting it, listen, cuss, fiddle some more, lather rinse repeat. Um, the cussing step is usually repeated more than once per cycle.

And yet it is my observation that working on engines is quite often very satisfying to the person who knows how to do it.

Welcome, Amy! I joined WS soon after Jessica went missing and have, of course, been following Jessica's thread as well as a handful of others. WS is a great site and I have only explored a small percentage of the threads.

I grew up in Arvada and still work in Arvada. I live up north now, near Brighton, but having such horrific events occur in "our community" has been pretty trying. I can't even fathom how Jessica's family is holding together but they are definitely an inspiration.

To keep the cold air out maybe? A car may have to run for sometime, to make sure its running right. I can't think of anything worse then trying work on cold metal, after the garage door as been open for a while. At best a garage temperature would probably be around 60 degrees in cold weather. Making it colder then that by opening the door, would get pretty unpleasant for the mechanic.

You're correct about keeping the cold out even though the thought of a garage or pole building making it up to 60 F in the winter leaves me laughing out loud.

Good to know you DylansMom34. I know its been a long couple of months for Colorado.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scorpioo18