CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the backpack (the where and the why it was placed there) is very vital piece to the puzzle. :twocents:

I seriously cannot wrap my mind around it. Maybe some angles to look at would be the who:

1) if placed there by the perp how and why was it placed there?

2) if placed there by someone else how and why?

It may have been placed there as a diversionary tactic.

It was found 6 miles from where Jessica went missing, correct?

Maybe wanting to throw LE off that the perp or Jessica is in that area when she nor the perp is in that area.

IMO

Guess, the backpack may have been placed in the subdivision as a calculated attempt to buy additional time. While investigators were expanding their search area. The predator may have continued on up the road to Wyoming, to prey on his next unsuspecting innocent victim..
Only time will tell...

I think the backpack (the where and the why it was placed there) is very vital piece to the puzzle. :twocents:

I seriously cannot wrap my mind around it. Maybe some angles to look at would be the who:

1) if placed there by the perp how and why was it placed there?

2) if placed there by someone else how and why?
I agree and it wouldn't surprise me if something else belonging to Jessica was found in an odd location. Something like her coat, earrings, glasses or her boots but then sometimes people find those things and keep them. Hopefully locals are aware of the case and keeping their eyes peeled.

I am actually impressed that the school even called because she was absent. My daughter's (elementary) school doesn't even call if she misses a day and my son's (middle) school calls at 8pm if he missed school.

Is it common practice in other places for school to call when a child isn't there? If so, I am thinking I need to call the schools and have a talk with them about making phone calls to the homes of absent children.

Our school calls at 9 am when a child is absent and the parents haven't called in or emailed. It's sort of "taboo" to not call because the (gruff) secretary makes it clear that it's a pain to call parents looking for kids. This is a small elementary school though. On days she's not there or there are conferences and she's busy, the teachers themselves call, which is mortifying and has happened to me just once. :blushing:

I always wonder what the hundreds, sometimes thousands, of "tips" consist of in these cases, especially since hardly any ever pan out or have any relevance to the case. What on earth do people call in? Just always wondered.

Going by all the tips (over 1000) released by LE in the Caylee Anthony case, they mostly consist of peoples dreams, theories and visions and very little fact for LE to follow. Such as, look where the German Shepherd peed on the tree. Necessary evil as hopefully one good tip comes through.

Our school calls at 9 am when a child is absent and the parents haven't called in or emailed. It's sort of "taboo" to not call because the (gruff) secretary makes it clear that it's a pain to call parents looking for kids. This is a small elementary school though. On days she's not there or there are conferences and she's busy, the teachers themselves call, which is mortifying and has happened to me just once. :blushing:

Our school is the same way. They call within about 15 minutes after school has started if your child isn't in class. I know this because I've forgotten one or two times. :blush:

It is embarrassing because it makes me feel like a horrible mother but I'm glad they call, especially when I hear these cases.

IMO,

I think there's a difference between the school calling the other emergency contacts listed when a child is sick and the primary contact cannot be reached and the number the schools calls for an unreported abscence. In other words , schools aren't going to call every emergency contact listed for this unless the parent(s) requested this.

My school aged child does not ride the bus or walk so I have never had to consider if appropriate procedures are in place at her school for children that walk or ride the bus. I imagine it would be a burden for the school to track down parents of some children and there might be a lot of false alarms. Of course the alternative is awful.

As far as the mother struggling with the events of the morning Jessica went missing in the interview, I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt. I'm assuming that LE gave her instructions on what she could and couldn't reveal and perhaps that is why her speech was not smooth.

I think it's also possible that her backpack was dropped at the time of her abduction and that another child may have swiped it. Perhaps they saw the cell phone. Then later after realizing the significance they dumped it. Perhaps the kid lives with mom in Jessica's neighborhood but goes to visit Dad in the neighborhood the backpack was found? IDK, just tossing out alternative theories.

Just a comment regarding the possibility of searching the landfill. If God forbid, the perp disposed of Jessica in a dumpster, why wouldn't he/she have disposed of her back pack at the same time? Do we really believe the perp is taunting LE and the public by "staging" the back pack?

I do. It's because the perp did not dispose of it in a dumpster or similar way to destroy and hide discovery of it that I believe the placement in an open area was so that it would be discovered and misdirect LE. I don't think there was a complicated message behind the act at all. The perp just wanted LE to move away from searching around Jessica's neighborhood. IMO, LE made him nervous as they are in close proximity.

The contact list for the school is such a grey area of blame for me, though. I am a stay at home mom so I always answer the call but my other 2 emergency contacts for my kids are my mom: an ICU nurse and my husband: an oilfield worker who spends weeks at a time out if state or in the Gulf of Mexico. Sometimes they cannot answer their phone but the school wouldn't call them for an absence, just for an emergency situation if I didn't answer. Some places are very strict about employees using/having their cell phones so we can't know if the school would have called her grandma about her absence it would have been known sooner or not.

I agree that the school cant be responsible for everything. There may be some schools that make a huge deal out of a child's absence but I don't think that's the norm. A child missing one day isn't going to set off alarm bells and have the school chasing down all the contacts on the child's paperwork. I just don't see how they could possibly do that.
I am sure Sarah feels enough guilt about leaving her phone downstairs than we could ever imagine. Not knowing Jessica never made it to school did give the abductor a significant head start but we can't know if that would have made any difference.

Guess, the backpack may have been placed in the subdivision as a calculated attempt to buy additional time. While investigators were expanding their search area. The predator may have continued on up the road to Wyoming, to prey on his next unsuspecting innocent victim..
Only time will tell...

The predator in the Wyoming abduction released his victim. If Jessica's abductor is the same predator, and unless, he suddenly grew a conscience, it is very unusual for a child predator to release his victim to later testify against him..

I think it's also possible that her backpack was dropped at the time of her abduction and that another child may have swiped it. Perhaps they saw the cell phone. Then later after realizing the significance they dumped it. Perhaps the kid lives with mom in Jessica's neighborhood but goes to visit Dad in the neighborhood the backpack was found? IDK, just tossing out alternative theories.
S&BBM

What cell phone?

Carolyn Callahan ‏@carolyncallahan
Dexter Police asking anyone who sees light blue Buick with CO plates to get the plate number and call police. #JessicaRidgeway
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite
2m Carolyn Callahan ‏@carolyncallahan
Car was also reportedly seen in Harmony, Maine. #JessicaRidgeway Police have not been able to find the car and don't have a plate #.
Expand Reply Retweet

this tweet is from Maine reporter wabi
http://twitter.com/carolyncallahan

Dexter Police asking anyone who sees light blue Buick with CO plates to get the plate number and call police. #JessicaRidgeway
Car was also reportedly seen in Harmony, Maine. #JessicaRidgeway Police have not been able to find the car and don't have a plate #.
Expand Reply Retweet

I don't understand why this reporter is tweeting this? I wonder if they have reason to believe that vehicle is connected to Jessica or if they are grasping at straws in Maine? I'm so confused.
**** edited: Okay, I went to the reporters Twitter page. Possible sightings of a girl matching Jessica's description with that vehicle on Sunday in Maine.

The contact list for the school is such a grey area of blame for me, though. I am a stay at home mom so I always answer the call but my other 2 emergency contacts for my kids are my mom: an ICU nurse and my husband: an oilfield worker who spends weeks at a time out if state or in the Gulf of Mexico. Sometimes they cannot answer their phone but the school wouldn't call them for an absence, just for an emergency situation if I didn't answer. Some places are very strict about employees using/having their cell phones so we can't know if the school would have called her grandma about her absence it would have been known sooner or not.

I agree that the school cant be responsible for everything. There may be some schools that make a huge deal out of a child's absence but I don't think that's the norm. A child missing one day isn't going to set off alarm bells and have the school chasing down all the contacts on the child's paperwork. I just don't see how they could possibly do that.
I am sure Sarah feels enough guilt about leaving her phone downstairs than we could ever imagine. Not knowing Jessica never made it to school did give the abductor a significant head start but we can't know if that would have made any difference.

I think that in this technologically advanced world that we live in, there has to be a better solution for communication with parents whether their child has arrived at school.

For example, I know that not everyone has, or can afford, an iPhone, but apps can be downloaded that shows a person's exact location according to where their phone is.

Of course the school systems have incredibly tight budgets, but surely there is something that can be done - some check-in system - where the parents can know if their child hasn't arrived at school.

Just thinking out loud...

Pretty lengthy article
20121009__20121010_A1_CD10JESSICA~p1_200.jpg

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_2...-jessicas-return-investigators-probe-wyo-case

from the article link

She said she left her cellphone in a room downstairs, so her sleep would not be disturbed.

^^^ this concerns me, I ALWAYS have my cell phone with me, I usually have it under my pillow while I sleep or next to me charging...if you don't want to be disturbed while sleeping turn it off or on silent...not leaving it in another room...that to me is odd

Expand Reply Retweet

Do we know an approximate year

Expand Reply Retweet

This is quite broad: a light blue Buick seen in Colorado and Maine. Over 2000 miles inbetween, I'm sure with several light blue Buicks. How do they know it's the same one if they have no license plate number? :waitasec:

Where did they get the info about the light blue Buick?

How did murderers have no rights 30-40-50 years ago? There are so many convicted killers being released today because they were only sentenced to only 30-40-50 years in jail back then.

If they were even convicted at all.

Are you speaking of RSO DRC? I have been wondering about him for a few days. Not sure if I can say on here.....he has a gunsmith business. If he goes to gun shows he has opportunity to travel to a lot of states. I know it sounds "out there" but I have been looking up gun shows and missing kids the last couple of days when I can. Something to think about.

This RSO is BSI.

This is quite broad: a light blue Buick seen in Colorado and Maine. Over 2000 miles inbetween, I'm sure with several light blue Buicks. How do they know it's the same one if they have no license plate number? :waitasec:

Where did they get the info about the light blue Buick?

https://twitter.com/carolyncallahan/status/256048091130626048

I am on my phone and can't figure out how to copy the tweet content like Nurse did. Police said the received 2 calls about this car in Maine with a girl matching Jessica's description.

Since we are talking about it this morning...

My mom and many of our friends worked at elementary schools. Do you realize about 25% of parents either don't turn in or don't update their emergency contact paperwork?
Pretty often they would call a number for a parent to come pick up a sick kid and the phone # would be disconnected/wrong number. Often the child wouldn't know his parents' new phone number:what:. Other emergency numbers were the same way, so usually the kid just sat miserable, in the office until the end of school. Happened pretty often. Same thing with addresses- parents would get mad when they wouldn't get mailers and then realize their address was wrong.
So everyone spread the word: make sure your info is correct and updated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025