CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the "clunker" car theory, also could be a car without current registration and/or insurance and had to get evidence out of his car quickly, in case he was pulled over for some reason. Hasty drop-offs, i.e.

Have you tried to top link that Knox just added here? (The kctv5 link.)

Maybe that one will load for you. I think she said they were going to open the link in 6 more minutes. (10 min before the presser begins.)

Been there, done that, no luck.

Darn flash!

But, if HLN is running it I am going to try their website... Maybe?

What is 'listserv'? It sounds like a great communication tool for the community. tia

It's basically an electronic mailing list - people subscribe to it, can email something in to the 'list' and this in turn emails it out to all subscribers. Very similar to a company marketing list, where they send out updates to their subscribers, the difference being that the subscribers are providing the updates.

Does that make even a little bit of sense? My brain is feeling a little bit broken tonight.

The actual word 'listserv' is the name of a piece of software that was designed to do the job originally. (I think!)

Thanks. I'm not familiar with the area so I wasn't sure how close "isolated" spots would be.

Here's a map showing Colorado geography. It's really interesting in that you literally go from flat plains to sheer, tall mountains in the blink of an eye. The drive from the Denver metro area towards the Eisenhower Tunnel, or from there to Estes Park, are geologically fascinating - and beautiful.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/us_2001/colorado_ref_2001.jpg

If you Download the CNN app, you can watch it...I think. Testing it out on my ipad

If someone has an iPad friendly live site for the presser, I, for one, would be ever so grateful. All the ones I have tried don't run.

OKAY - STOP blaming mom for letting Jessica walk to school. KIDS should be able to walk to school. LAY OFF the dad that did the driving. LE has given NO indication, in anyway, that there is even the smallest hint of suspicion in his regard - so LAY OFF!

Discuss the facts, MSM and LE info. STOP speculating about innocent people and stop trying to lay blame where NONE should be laid.

And DO NOT QUOTE posts that violate TOS or any of the rules in this or the first few posts. By quoting and adding your 2 cents, you contribute to a derailing of the thread and more work for the mods. Alert the post and move on. Don't respond, don't quote, just move past it, please.

If you have questions, send the MODS a pm.

Thank you everybody!

Salem (and NursebeeMe and Beach)

:bump:

Please review. Thanks

I think there was nothing wrong with letting Jessica walk to school. Is till don't think there was anything wrong with it. As others have said, the danger in auto accidents is much more common. Not only that, I have seen first hand what the result of "helicopter parenting" has done to the younger generation where I work (i am a scientist). I know this is very controversial, but I just wanted to post to say that if you have the same opinion as I do, and have thought you were all alone, you aren't. Not everyone thinks that children need to be under direct supervision 24/7 and that opinion is perfectly ok, despite the outpouring of the blame game we have going on here.

I do agree to some extent; I think the problem is figuring out where the cut off is between being a responsible parent and being a smothering one. My older son walked across the street to his friend's house, and they walked with the friend's older brothers to the bus stop less than a block from their house. I could see the house and the bus stop from my house, but I never walked with him. We had moved to a different house, in a different town, by the time his brother started school. When the second son started kindergarten, he walked about a block (crossing a street going north and two going west). I didn't walk with him either, but he was always with his brother (he was in 6th grade when the younger one was in kindergarten). They still walked together for the entire time we lived there, because the older kids caught the bus at the elementary school.

I never lived in a place where my child had to walk out of my sight in order to get to school, but I didn't stand there and watch them walk all the way every day; I also saw nothing wrong with other parents allowing their 2nd grade and older kids to walk alone either to the school or to the bus stop. In the towns I lived in at the time, none of the parents allowed a kindergartner or first grader to walk alone. I just can't see under normal circumstances, not allowing a 10 year old to walk 3 blocks past her neighbors' homes to meet a friend and go to school.

I personally think kids these days are being raised to be afraid of everything. Everybody stresses stranger danger so much, kids are afraid of everyone (which isn't always a bad idea). If there was an emergnecy, they don't know who they can turn to for help. I think it's getting to the point where kids are more likely to run to a perp who lives down the block to escape an innocent delivery man asking for directions than to be grabbed by a strangfer on the street.

My younger son went to a day care center at the college I was attending when he was 3-4 years old. They stressed stranger danger so much even back then that he freaked out when I took him to see Santa. He just grabbed my hand and said, "I'm not sitting on that man's lap, I don't even know him!" He also refused to accept candy from him - Santa had to give it to me, and then my son would take it.

I really think we have to teach kids how to behave in different circumstances (don't approach a car if someone other than a family member stops to talk to you, never go into another person's house without a parent first telling you it's ok, never accept anything from someone you don't know (or even get close enough to reach anything they might offer), offer to find an adult to help if someone asks them to help them with something, etc. I think in the long run, the kids are much better off and feel more empowered if they know what to do if something happens, rather than being petrified that something might happen.

That was perhaps me, and my kids schools call within 30 minutes of the opening bell if a child is absent and don't stop calling (even in high school) till they reach a live person on the list provided. This not only ensures student safety, it tremendously cuts down on school absenteeism rates. It also ensures that nearly 100% of parents call the school to notify of any kind of absence--- even for a before school appointment that may run a few minutes late. These are not small schools, the elementary/ middle school building has about 750 students and the high school nearly 1,000. The system works perfectly and no, none of the calls are automated or recorded. An adult office staff member calls, the key is that there are FEW calls to be made, because absences are few, and parent compliance with prior notification is nearly 100%.

Sounds like a great system!!! My kids school sends ONE automated call to the main number listed! And ONE email is sent to the main email listed. The only time you get a live person calling is if you fail to call or send in a letter excusing the absence and that isn't till several days later.

OT- talking of listserve reminded me of an article in NY paper yesterday, about someone selling pain pills on Craig's list and in the ad, they stated "no LE please." lol

I'm dreading it too. I have 2 friends that just moved to Aurora in the last month or so. Praying hardcore for the whole Denver Metro community. That community as a whole has been through enough in the last 5 months.

The school very well could have other numbers to try in the event of an emergency, and might well have tried those numbers -- IF -- they viewed the child's absence as an emergency.

How does your kid's school define "emergency"? I suspect at most schools, an emergency is something like:
- the child is hurt on the schoolyard, or in an science experiment, needs medical attention.
- child has an asthma attack, needs medical attention
- school fire
- shooting at the school - locked down - must alert parents

The thing is, how many schools are going to define a child not arriving on time as an emergency? Odds are the staff making the calls to parents on absent kids, who's parents hadn't called in to say their kids were not coming did not deem an absence from school as an emergency.

Its possible this kid and her family is well known at the school - maybe she had the sniffles the day before and they all just thought she wasn't feeling well and mom had forgotten to call it in?

I doubt most schools would deem a kid not showing up as an emergency - if they did, they'd be making a lot of emergency calls to parents and extra contacts every morning.

That was perhaps me, and my kids schools call within 30 minutes of the opening bell if a child is absent and don't stop calling (even in high school) till they reach a live person on the list provided. This not only ensures student safety, it tremendously cuts down on school absenteeism rates. It also ensures that nearly 100% of parents call the school to notify of any kind of absence--- even for a before school appointment that may run a few minutes late. These are not small schools, the elementary/ middle school building has about 750 students and the high school nearly 1,000. The system works perfectly and no, none of the calls are automated or recorded. An adult office staff member calls, the key is that there are FEW calls to be made, because absences are few, and parent compliance with prior notification is nearly 100%.

That's a fantastic system and one I wish all schools could employ.
..and to think, back in my day, an absence from high school only generated a letter home the next day~!

It has link for HLN Live and I believe they said they were showing it on there. You have to log in with your tv subscriber information but I don't remember mine so I can't check to see if it works.

If you Download the CNN app, you can watch it...I think. Testing it out on my ipad

I think there was nothing wrong with letting Jessica walk to school. Is till don't think there was anything wrong with it. As others have said, the danger in auto accidents is much more common. Not only that, I have seen first hand what the result of "helicopter parenting" has done to the younger generation where I work (i am a scientist). I know this is very controversial, but I just wanted to post to say that if you have the same opinion as I do, and have thought you were all alone, you aren't. Not everyone thinks that children need to be under direct supervision 24/7 and that opinion is perfectly ok, despite the outpouring of the blame game we have going on here.

I agree with the worry of what results hovering over your child will bring in the future, but, I don't believe any parent wants to really helicopter their children...they just want them safe....and the times have certainly changed. Being in denial or having the attitude it can't change things is not going to solve the problem either. Statistics are just that...until it's your loved one or you. I have the freedom to choose to trail run, but that does not magically stop the perp who feels he's entitled to a body for his pleasure or sick control issues.

The unanswered question in these cases for me is why is there so many "perps" today thinking they are entitled or have the right to do the things they do? Have we allowed this spawn through our own neglectful behaviors of some kind or just what is the answer? There just seems to be a full lack of respect or a sense of unbridled entitlement seething from it all. IMO

Just want to clarify, I was not blaming J's father, I was questioning why someone who had the expectation of a child meeting up with them wouldn't have had some question in their mind why; but I can't place MY reaction or expectations on others. It's clearly the perp at fault and no one else. IMO, it's again an awareness that we all need to be our childrens' stewards.
JMO

omg the guy singing on the live feed right now - stop laughing and joking around!!!! : (

One of the men who found the backpack — who wished to remain anonymous due to the ongoing nature of the investigation — told The Daily Camera that he and his wife did not notice the bag when they left their house on Andrew Drive near Alpha Court around 6:45 p.m. Saturday. When they returned sometime between midnight and 1 a.m. Sunday, they said the backpack was there.

Was the perp aware the man and his wife would not be home during that period?

How many children live on that street?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member