Found Deceased CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984 *arrest 2020*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! Sounds like they knew it was her right away from the clothes and the braces! I can't imagine how her family feels to have her found over 35 years later.

They would have also perhaps have noted the small stature of the bones.

From an article in Jonelle’s thread it says LE did have her DNA on file, iirc.

(Head is still spinning.)

There is sooo much info in her thread. Trying to take it all in.

Noting aspects of potential “incineration” mentioned in her thread; still only on page 1.

—-

wow, great work here - a match within 2 pages! Sad but also, an end... to the waiting and suffering...

Hoping an arrest is forthcoming in this modern age of DNA. She’s been out there a while it seems, plus there was “construction”, so usable trace evidence may be minimal, if any. But we know all they need is a tiny bit. If she was buried perhaps this helped preserve it from the elements.

Gosh, can you imagine. This perp thought he got away with it. If he’s still alive and knows about her recovery now, he’s probably shaking in his pants going “Oh No! I hope they can’t get any DNA!”

These guys back in 1984 had NO IDEA what the future of DNA would hold. So perhaps he was relatively careless as related to what he left on her and at the scene.

I expect this to be big news in our area, and look forward to all future updates. I was also thinking about perhaps passing on to LE the links to her thread, as well as other “pooossibly” related cases, as there is much archived and work put in and it couldn’t hurt, moo.

Last edited:
Snipped to highlight... “Someone is pooping in their pants right now. They likely thought this person might not ever be found. Someone is going to get their name back hopefully and their family can at least have answers and bring them home”.[/QUOTE said:
Great quote! Hopefully the killer left something behind as well! IDing this would be the cherry on top. So glad this fam is getting their girl back.

Putting all these links in a consolidated list for easy reference and cross linking:

CO - CO - Remains Found at Oil and Gas Site, Weld County, 24 July, 2019.

Found Deceased - CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984

CO - CO - Margaret 'Margo' Hillman, 14, Lyons, 24 Sept 1983

CO - CO - Elizabeth 'Beth' Miller, 14, Idaho Springs, 16 Aug 1983

CO - CO - Tracy Neef, 7, Thornton, 16 March 1984

CO - CO - Christine Jones, 17, Boulder County, 1 Sept 1977

—-

ETA: Of course we do not know that any of these cases are even connected, but wow, if there is perp DNA on Jonelle, or any other information derived from this “modern” investigation, perhaps this could also help break some other cold cases wide open!

Thanks for putting that list together Margarita! Are there any unsolved CO murder cases from the same time period? I need to familiarize myself more with Jonelle's case. Just reading the first page of her thread I got the feeling that it had to be someone who knew she was home alone. She was only alone for an hour. I suppose a random perp could have taken a chance and got lucky too (thinking of how quickly Jayme Closs was abducted). I hope LE has a lead on the suspect. MOO.

ETA: Ignore my question, I see now that many of the links above are unsolved homicides. Hmmm...

Thanks for putting that list together Margarita! Are there any unsolved CO murder cases from the same time period? I need to familiarize myself more with Jonelle's case. Just reading the first page of her thread I got the feeling that it had to be someone who knew she was home alone. She was only alone for an hour. I suppose a random perp could have taken a chance and got lucky too (thinking of how quickly Jayme Closs was abducted). I hope LE has a lead on the suspect. MOO.

I agree someone who knew she was home alone. Neighbor of course comes to mind.

ETA:
I do believe some other “slayings” were referred to in Jonelle’s thread on page 1 in an article, still researching. This is a darn rabbit hole.

ETA2:
I wonder if any other bodies are buried out there. LE will no doubt go over that whole area, metal detectors, GPR, full shebang, moo.

ETA3:
ETA: Ignore my question, I see now that many of the links above are unsolved homicides. Hmmm...

I noticed those links are unclear as they don’t say “Found Deceased” as I started them only within the last couple years in the “Cold Cases” Forum, iirc.

I must be thinking of Rebecca Kellison and hodgepodging it with another case, as they don’t have a suspect in her disappearance.

I agree that the DA coming out, and the comment about making progress in the next 12 hours, probably indicates they have a good idea who it is and who is responsible.

( I wasn’t familiar with her case; here is the WS Link:
CO - CO - Rebecca Kellison, 21, Denver, 24 June 1976 )

Last edited:
I'm so glad to see that Jonelle has been found. I'm guessing since the identification was this quick it may have been based off her dental records (maybe expedited DNA?). I don't know if this is generally true, but Jonelle being found close to home makes me think she was taken by someone local.

I'm so glad to see that Jonelle has been found. I'm guessing since the identification was this quick it may have been based off her dental records (maybe expedited DNA?). I don't know if this is generally true, but Jonelle being found close to home makes me think she was taken by someone local.
She had braces at the time of her disappearance. Dental records would be very recent and easy to match.

Greeley Police Dept Facebook page posted today, 7/25/2019. I hope the community starts talking.

Greeley Police Department
The Greeley Police Department is relieved to announce the recovery of Jonelle Matthew’s. Jonelle has been missing since December of 1984. This case has weighed on the hearts of the Greeley Police Department, the family and the entire city of Greeley.

Moving forward, this case remains active and additional information will be provided as it becomes available. Anyone with information about this case are asked to contact the Detective. Robert Cash at 970-350-9601 or the Tip line at 970-351-5100.

We would like to thank the Weld County Sheriff’s Office, Weld County District Attorney’s Office and the Weld County Coroner's for the assistance with this case. We would also like to offer our deepest condolences to the Matthew’s family.

The cold case of a 12-year-old Colorado girl who went missing nearly 35 years ago has come to a tragic close this week after her remains were found buried at an oil and gas site not far from the city she disappeared from in 1984.

Jonelle Matthews was last seen wearing the blue vest and red shirt she wore while performing in a Christmas concert with the Franklin Middle School Honor Choir in Greeley, Colorado, on December 20, 1984.

After the concert, Jonelle's friend and her friend's father dropped her off around 8pm at the snow-covered ranch-style home where she lived with her father, Jim, mother, Gloria, and sister, Jennifer.

Skull and bones of 12-year-old Colorado girl who went missing in 1984 found at oil and gas site | Daily Mail Online

New article. I am so glad Jonelle has been found after being missing so many years and I hope she gets justice. My thoughts and prayers are with her loved ones.

Surely they have looked at the friend who is supposed to have dropped Jonelle off at home. That seems like the prime suspect at this point.

According to her thread, iirc it was her friend and her friend’s mother who dropped her off. It seems everyone was extensively interviewed. I doubt they are the perps, moo.

—-

ETA: Fwiw, I just found the Red Plum “Have you Seen Me” ad. It is indeed a MP out of Greeley. “Ariana Thomas”, date missing “6/27/18”. Making a note to check for thread.

Last edited:
Putting all these together in one post for reference so all threads are crosslinked, let me know if I’m missing anyone, tia.

Found Deceased - CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984

CO - CO - Margaret 'Margo' Hillman, 14, Lyons, 24 Sept 1983

CO - CO - Elizabeth 'Beth' Miller, 14, Idaho Springs, 16 Aug 1983

CO - CO - Tracy Neef, 7, Thornton, 16 March 1984

CO - CO - Christine Jones, 17, Boulder County, 1 Sept 1977

@otto , are you around for a quick favor please? Could you please give us a map visual on all these locations (last seen and found), dates, etc if you have some spare time? Thank you very much in advance! (If not no worries, maybe someone else can help :) )

ETA: Of course we do not know that any of these cases are even connected, but wow, if there is perp DNA on Jonelle, or any other information derived from this “modern” investigation, perhaps this could also help break some other cold cases wide open!
Woah. Praying that this results in an arrest and some answers in all of these cases.

According to her thread, iirc it was her friend and her friend’s mother who dropped her off. It seems everyone was extensively interviewed. I doubt they are the perps, moo.
—-
ETA: Fwiw, I just found the Red Plum “Have you Seen Me” ad. It is indeed a MP out of Greeley. “Ariana Thomas”, date missing “6/27/18”. Making a note to check for thread.

I have not read Jonelle's thread yet but according to all new news articles from today last person to see her were not friend and friend's mother BUT friend and friend's FATHER.

A bit more interesting information in today's article:
===
Tymkowych said Matthews' mother, Gloria Matthews, and stepfather, Jim Matthews, who retired to Costa Rica, were informed that her remains had been identified, The Greeley Tribune reported.

Jim Matthews had long been a suspect in her disappearance, but Tymkowych declined to comment on whether he remains a suspect or not.

Colorado Police identify remains of Jonelle Matthews, 12-year-old missing for 35 years
===

So as per article step father seems to be prime suspect.

I have not read Jonelle's thread yet but according to all new news articles from today last person to see her were not friend and friend's mother BUT friend and friend's FATHER.

===
Tymkowych said Matthews' mother, Gloria Matthews, and stepfather, Jim Matthews, who retired to Costa Rica, were informed that her remains had been identified, The Greeley Tribune reported.

Jim Matthews had long been a suspect in her disappearance, but Tymkowych declined to comment on whether he remains a suspect or not.

Colorado Police identify remains of Jonelle Matthews, 12-year-old missing for 35 years
===

Wouldn’t that be something? I cannot imagine how the family is feeling..

Very interesting. Earlier in this thread the Charley Project summary was posted which said GM and JM had moved to the Philippines. So now her mom and step father live in Costa Rica? They already believed Jonelle was deceased and had a memorial for her. I wonder if they will they come back to the States to bury her remains now that she has been found?

===

===

RSBM
Wow, really? Is UPI a reliable source? I’m not familiar with them. I didn’t think Jim was her step father, I thought they were both her adoptive parents. Checking around at a few other articles, they all refer to them as her parents or mother and father. So I’m wondering if that’s accurate

I don’t remember hearing Jim was a suspect either, but it’s been a while. IIRC, there was only about 2 hours between Jonelle getting dropped off and being reported missing. He would’ve had to move at lightning speed to get the deed done, clean up the crime scene (assuming it was the house and needed cleaning), stage the house, and at least hide her body temporarily. I definitely need to refresh my memory on her case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14