Found Deceased CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984 *arrest 2020*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a white female, mid 20s I believe, that was killed by her boyfriend/romantic interest, and they found her purse and some personal effects buried out by the airport. I think they may have since found her body, but if not, she could be a good possibility. Does this ring a bell for anyone? For the life of me I cannot find who it was.

There was a white female, mid 20s I believe, that was killed by her boyfriend/romantic interest, and they found her purse and some personal effects buried out by the airport. I think they may have since found her body, but if not, she could be a good possibility. Does this ring a bell for anyone? For the life of me I cannot find who it was.

Sort of rings a bell...

I must be thinking of Rebecca Kellison and hodgepodging it with another case, as they don’t have a suspect in her disappearance.

I agree that the DA coming out, and the comment about making progress in the next 12 hours, probably indicates they have a good idea who it is and who is responsible.

Prosecutors with the district attorney's office were at the site Wednesday morning.

Reams says the bones do not appear to be part of an old burial ground. No other information was released.

Oil site workers find what appear to be human remains in Colorado

The fact that prosecutors from the DA's office were visiting the site makes me think they might have an idea who this is and may be preparing charges... MOO.

Or it might suggest there's evidence of a crime present? Bullet wound in the bones, handcuffs in the 'grave'?

I must be thinking of Rebecca Kellison and hodgepodging it with another case, as they don’t have a suspect in her disappearance.

I agree that the DA coming out, and the comment about making progress in the next 12 hours, probably indicates they have a good idea who it is and who is responsible.

(Please excuse sleepy post)

The condition of these remains sounds possibly challenging, considering the comment they made about this re: it being a construction site:

““We were out there (at the site), as well,” Tymkowych said. “We do have some leads that we are going to be looking at in the next 12 hours or so to see if they pan out.”

“Identifying the remains will take some time because the remains were discovered during construction, Reams said.

“That adds an extra layer of difficulty to the process,” Reams said.””
Weld Sheriff Steve Reams confirms discovery of human remains at oil and gas site

LE, like us, has the list of all those missing in Weld County and neighboring counties. So they have these “leads” as far as trying to match DNA and dental records with these known missing persons, if it’s even one of those persons reported missing in the area. This however could take some time.

The ME, Forensic Anthropologist/Odontologist (if necessary), etc etc will most likely need some time with these remains:

““We’re recovering some bones that appear to be human remains,” Reams said. “We can’t distinguish anything other than that they appear to be human.””
Weld County Sheriff Steve Reams confirms discovery of human remains at oil and gas site

They could maybe have an idea of who it is if there is clothing or other items found with the body, etc, etc. But the only way they can automatically know who is likely responsible obviously is if they get a victim ID match and already have a suspect, POI, or get non victim DNA which produces a match, etc., which could take time, if there even is a match, or if there is even DNA. They will of course obviously need to examine trace evidence, DNA, etc to know who is responsible. First they have to find out who it is, but just because there is a victim ID, it doesn’t necessarily mean they will have the perp.

If it’s Rita, her perp is already is custody.

It might take some time for them to conduct their investigation.

We do know there is now the capability for DNA to be fast-tracked, as well as RAPID DNA.

Hopefully there will be some information soon, but we know from experience how long this can all take sometimes.

—-

Note to mark distances to these towns, some I’ve never heard of:

Last edited:
Local here. I think it’s more likely someone from the Greeley area. Longmont is at the very western edge of Weld county and spills into Boulder county. There are much better places to hide a body (mountains) that would be closer to Longmont.
Rsbm

I hear ya; however we do that there are various factors which can affect how and where a perp chooses a disposal site: convenience, “awareness space”, such as a job site, etc which may be familiar to them.

(Please excuse sleepy post)

The condition of these remains sounds possibly challenging, considering the comment they made about this re: it being a construction site:

““We were out there (at the site), as well,” Tymkowych said. “We do have some leads that we are going to be looking at in the next 12 hours or so to see if they pan out.”

“Identifying the remains will take some time because the remains were discovered during construction, Reams said.

“That adds an extra layer of difficulty to the process,” Reams said.””
Weld Sheriff Steve Reams confirms discovery of human remains at oil and gas site

LE, like us, has the list of all those missing in Weld County and neighboring counties. So they have these “leads” as far as trying to match DNA and dental records with these known missing persons, if it’s even one of those persons reported missing in the area. This however could take some time.

The ME, Forensic Anthropologist/Odontologist (if necessary), etc etc will most likely need some time with these remains:

““We’re recovering some bones that appear to be human remains,” Reams said. “We can’t distinguish anything other than that they appear to be human.””
Weld County Sheriff Steve Reams confirms discovery of human remains at oil and gas site

They could maybe have an idea of who it is if there is clothing or other items found with the body, etc, etc. But the only way they can automatically know who is likely responsible obviously is if they get a victim ID match and already have a suspect, POI, or get non victim DNA which produces a match, etc., which could take time, if there even is a match, or if there is even DNA. They will of course obviously need to examine trace evidence, DNA, etc to know who is responsible. First they have to find out who it is, but just because there is a victim ID, it doesn’t necessarily mean they will have the perp.

If it’s Rita, her perp is already is custody.

It might take some time for them to conduct their investigation.

We do know there is now the capability for DNA to be fast-tracked, as well as RAPID DNA.

Hopefully there will be some information soon, but we know from experience how long this can all take sometimes.

—-

Note to mark distances to these towns, some I’ve never heard of:

Good point that they have rapid DNA capabilities for this case. That could be why he would say they might have leads in 12 hours.

Attachments

• upload_2019-7-25_11-7-4.png
    upload_2019-7-25_11-7-4.png
    721.9 KB · Views: 46
I think there’s a really good chance it’s Jonelle, Kai.

Of course obviously there are others missing from the vicinity, but the distance and “straight shot” aspect here makes me inclined to believe there’s a really good chance this could be Jonelle, moo.

As I mentioned I had not heard of her case until now. She was only 12 years old. If this is her then maybe there is DNA or some other kind of evidence which could also lead to an arrest. How great would that be?!

Who ever this is this is somebody’s child, brother, sister, friend. I can’t wait to hear what LE says next. Very anxiously glued here.

@margarita25 you were right. See above.
I so hope there will be justice for Jonelle after all this time.

Wow, that was quick

That’s got to be the most rapid turn around I’ve ever seen in a case.
( @carbuff , @dotr )

Welcome to the world of Rapid DNA. Even if they had a suspicion based on clothes, etc, they would have to confirm it, of course.

Gosh, I have a million thoughts racing right now.

First thing is to read up on Jonelle’s case, which I had planned to do anyway today. As I mentioned earlier, I was not familiar with her case until yesterday when @kai mentioned her, but as soon as I saw the mileage and route I knew it looked practically perfect for a disposal ( @PommyMommy, did you see that? 21 miles! Almost the “magic number 22”!)

So, many questions, the first is to compare the year of her abduction to some other cold child cases, Margo Hillman, and others fwiw. I’m not sure yet if they have a POI in Jonelle’s case. Anxiously going to read more.

Before we learned this has been a match, I had a thought in the middle of the night as to why someone might use this location for a disposal instead of the mountains: if the MP disappeared when there was a lot of snow, the perp may not have wanted to attempt to make that trek up icy/snowy mountain roads if their vehicle was not up to par. I was thinking about this in terms of Rita’s case, wondering how much snow was on the ground March 17, but remembered her perp JF did in fact have a white truck, iirc.

As for Rita, we will keep looking. Mackenzie Lueck’s friends Kennedy and Ashely mentioned that part of Mackenzie’s Voice, the nonprofit they have founded in honor which I know will do great things, may include some kind of work to do with bodies disposed of in “canyons”, which as LE did indicate they think Rita may be (quote upstream). I wonder if Rita’s family got their hopes up yesterday; my heart breaks for them. My first thought was that maybe it’s her, but after thinking about it more and how LE knew about the “canyon” in Mackenzie’s case, I figured LE really must have this solid evidence via pings, etc that she’s up there around Rabbit Mountain, etc. Making a note here to reach out to Mackenzie’s Voice:
info@mackenziesvoice.com
MacKenzie's Voice

Off to read now about Jonelle’s case. My first question is if she disappeared around the same time that Margaret Hillman did, looking upstream.

(Margo’s thread for reference
CO - CO - Margaret 'Margo' Hillman, 14, Lyons, 24 Sept 1983

Also wondering if LE suspects a stranger abduction in Jonelle’s case.

Gosh if they have perp DNA and it matches someone, wow he could suddenly be arrested and this thought is SO exciting. BAM! You thought they’d never find her, eh? But they decided to put a pipeline in! Foiled!!

Thanks everyone for joining in on this thread.

@Gardener1850 and @Gardenista (and everyone), wow those pictures of the site a few posts up were one heck of a Watts flashback.

Flagging this post for @Tricia and our mods, as they will be very happy to see this little girl has been found. Also can’t wait to see the thread title updated to “Match!”. I think this is the first UID thread I ever started, so very excited about this.

FYI:
@Harmony 2
@sillybilly
@liltexans
@Darling136
@CarlK90245 (UID Mod)

ETA: Special thanks to @Gardener1850 for all your assistance with this case; I am seeing you have notated/linked/bumped all the CO threads with this UID link. You rock.

Last edited:
So sad to hear this and at the same time, I'm glad she has been found. :(

Rest peacefully, Jonelle.
g40001.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics