Found Deceased CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984 *arrest 2020*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I can’t believe it’s Jonelle and she’s been so close all these years! Those statistics do prove themselves over and over again though.
I hope this brings her family closure and the perp to justice.

Wanted to bring forward all relevant posts from yesterday in the UID thread:

CO - CO - Remains Found at Oil and Gas Site, Weld County, 24 July, 2019.

There are also a few basic initial research notes on the location I made last night. Catching up here in Jonelle’s thread now.

CO - Remains Found at Oil and Gas Site, Weld County, 24 July, 2019.

“Sheriff Steve Reams has confirmed his agency is assisting with the recovery of human remains discovered at an oil and gas site in rural Weld County.”

Snip

“The remains were discovered some time Tuesday night while workers were constructing a new pipeline at the site about a quarter of a mile northwest of the intersection of Weld County Road 49 and Weld 34 1/2. It is not yet known who operates the facility.“

Weld County Sheriff Steve Reams confirms discovery of human remains at oil and gas site

0c5cd989-f837-4420-9dd8-2ba2e19aa08d-BreakingNewsBodyDiscovered-072419-1-1024x614.jpg

Oilfield workers discovered bones in rural Weld County northwest of CR 34.5 and CR 49. Authorities are investigating the scene, pictured here Wednesday morning.
MICHAEL BRIAN/THE GREELEY TRIBUNE

—-

Weld Sheriff Steve Reams confirms discovery of human remains at oil and gas site

I am always hopeful for the recovery of Jonelle Matthews when I see remains found in Weld County, CO.

Rsbm

From jonelle's home to this site: Google Maps

How recent are the remains? NAMUS shows 7 people missing from Weld County with the oldest case being Jonelle Matthews:

Jonelle Matthews, 1984: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
CO - CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984

Snip

I think there’s a really good chance it’s Jonelle, Kai.

Of course obviously there are others missing from the vicinity, but the distance and “straight shot” aspect here makes me inclined to believe there’s a really good chance this could be Jonelle, moo.

As I mentioned I had not heard of her case until now. She was only 12 years old. If this is her then maybe there is DNA or some other kind of evidence which could also lead to an arrest. How great would that be?!

Who ever this is this is somebody’s child, brother, sister, friend. I can’t wait to hear what LE says next. Very anxiously glued here.

You know what else...

Another body found at an oil site in Weld County. Crazy! I certainly wasn’t expecting this after the Watts case.

The question I’m curious about is how long has this property been an “oil site”.

—-

““We were out there (at the site), as well,” Tymkowych said. “We do have some leads that we are going to be looking at in the next 12 hours or so to see if they pan out.”

Identifying the remains will take some time because the remains were discovered during construction, Reams said.

“That adds an extra layer of difficulty to the process,” Reams said.”

Weld Sheriff Steve Reams confirms discovery of human remains at oil and gas site

—-

US 34 at Weld County Road 49 —

Project Owner CDOT
CDOT Region 4
County Weld
Description of Work Installs a new traffic signal at this intersection.
Estimated Total Project Cost $469,861
ARRA Funds $462,227
Project Status Completed
Start Date October 26, 2009
Completion Date April 2010
Percentage Spent N/A
Contractor DKS Enterprises

Photos - Before Construction —

Photos - During Construction —

—-

“The Weld County Sheriff’s Office is investigating bones found at an oil and gas facility on privately-owned land about 10 miles southeast of LaSalle.”

“The Town of LaSalle is a Statutory Town in Weld County, Colorado, United States. The town population was 1955 at the 2010 United States Census. A post office called LaSalle has been in operation since 1886. The community was named by railroad officials after LaSalle Street in Chicago.“

LaSalle, Colorado - Wikipedia

—-

WCR 49 Corridor - Weld County

“WCR 49 Corridor

In 2014, Weld County’s Department of Public Works embarked on the largest road construction project in county history.

49 Logo_Corridor_RGBThe Weld County Road 49 Corridor project involved multiple construction projects over several years including intersection widening, lane expansion, turn lanes, and overall safety improvements for the traveling public.

The extension of WCR 49 north of Highway 34 to WCR 60.5 is known as the Weld County Parkway, which is just one of the many enhancements for this busy corridor, and it includes a four-lane concrete road and two new bridges.

The Parkway opened to the traveling public November 10, 2015, while the Corridor project, from Highway 34 south to Interstate 76, was completed at the end of 2017.“

—-

https://upstatecolorado.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/CR-49-Hwy-Map-10.17.pdf

—-

Anadarko Petroleum - Hudson, CO

—-

Anadarko Petroleum Corporation
16116 Co Rd 22, Fort Lupton, CO 80621
15 min (14.4 miles)
Via Co Rd 49 and Co Rd 22
—-

Weld County Road 49 expansion: Why the upgrade matters so much.

—-

Oil and Gas - Weld County

“Please use this page as a resource regarding oil and gas production in Weld County. It contains information regarding oil and gas wells, pipelines, application processes, and many other items.“

“Weld County is responsible for nearly nine of every 10 barrels of oil produced in Colorado and also generates more than 30 percent of the state’s natural gas, as the county sits atop the mineral-rich Denver-Julesburg Basin.”

Weld County designates itself local oil and gas control county

—-

Quote again re: La Salle:

The Weld County Sheriff’s Office is investigating bones found at an oil and gas facility on privately-owned land about BBM 10 miles southeast of LaSalle.”

Kersey, CO to La Salle
14 min (10.1 miles)
Via US-85 N and US-34 E

Ft.Lupton to La Salle
24 min (21.0 miles)
Via US-85 S

Hudson to La Salle
29 min (21.7 miles)
Via W Co Rd 39 and Co Rd 41

Greeley to La Salle:
13 min (6.5 miles)
Via US-85 N and US-85 BUS N

The reason why I’m marking all the various articles is because these could come into play re: construction, etc, depending on how old these remains are.

Lots of truckers as well going through these parts it seems.

—-

Distance to Recovery Location in the Watts case, fwiw:

Approximate distance-

Keenesburg, CO to La Salle:
31 min (27.0 miles)
Via Co Rd 49

—-

I know a lot of folks who own land in these oil and gas areas have been approached by oil companies to sell. I was told by someone just the other day that he was advised by his neighbors not to sell, that they’re all trying to hold out together and they hoped he would too.

They’ve also been approached to lease out their land, as I understand it.

Perhaps this land is owned by a private individual and leasing? Just a thought. But I bet it’s Anadarko.

If so, you know those Anadarko folks are like, “oh no, not again...”

(Please excuse sleepy post)

The condition of these remains sounds possibly challenging, considering the comment they made about this re: it being a construction site:

““We were out there (at the site), as well,” Tymkowych said. “We do have some leads that we are going to be looking at in the next 12 hours or so to see if they pan out.”

“Identifying the remains will take some time because the remains were discovered during construction, Reams said.

“That adds an extra layer of difficulty to the process,” Reams said.””

LE, like us, has the list of all those missing in Weld County and neighboring counties. So they have these “leads” as far as trying to match DNA and dental records with these known missing persons, if it’s even one of those persons reported missing in the area. This however could take some time.

The ME, Forensic Anthropologist/Odontologist (if necessary), etc etc will most likely need some time with these remains:

““We’re recovering some bones that appear to be human remains,” Reams said. “We can’t distinguish anything other than that they appear to be human.””
Weld County Sheriff Steve Reams confirms discovery of human remains at oil and gas site

They could maybe have an idea of who it is if there is clothing or other items found with the body, etc, etc. But the only way they can automatically know who is likely responsible obviously is if they get a victim ID match and already have a suspect, POI, or get non victim DNA which produces a match, etc., which could take time, if there even is a match, or if there is even DNA. They will of course obviously need to examine trace evidence, DNA, etc to know who is responsible. First they have to find out who it is, but just because there is a victim ID, it doesn’t necessarily mean they will have the perp.

Snip

It might take some time for them to conduct their investigation.

We do know there is now the capability for DNA to be fast-tracked, as well as RAPID DNA.

Hopefully there will be some information soon, but we know from experience how long this can all take sometimes.

—-

Note to mark distances to these towns, some I’ve never heard of:

I hear ya; however we do that there are various factors which can affect how and where a perp chooses a disposal site: convenience, “awareness space”, such as a job site, etc which may be familiar to them.

Overview video of the scene at this link is interesting: Bones found at Weld County oil and gas site

First it shows tents set up but I think that is just the job site equipment because then the video shows crime scene tape under and weaving through the oil tanks/pipes.

View attachment 194856

View attachment 194857

View attachment 194858

View attachment 194859

Bones found at Weld County oil and gas site

Hopefully, they'll now be able to solve the case. This has been an excruciating story for our community.

Wow! Sounds like they knew it was her right away from the clothes and the braces! I can't imagine how her family feels to have her found over 35 years later.

@margarita25 you were right. See above.
I so hope there will be justice for Jonelle after all this time.

Omg!!!!!!!!!!

Bless her heart!!!

You’ve been found baby girl after all this time.

Now who did this to you!?

Tears.

I can’t believe it.

That’s got to be the most rapid turn around I’ve ever seen in a case.
( @carbuff , @dotr )

Welcome to the world of Rapid DNA. Even if they had a suspicion based on clothes, etc, they would have to confirm it, of course.

Gosh, I have a million thoughts racing right now.

First thing is to read up on Jonelle’s case, which I had planned to do anyway today. As I mentioned earlier, I was not familiar with her case until yesterday when @kai mentioned her, but as soon as I saw the mileage and route I knew it looked practically perfect for a disposal ( @PommyMommy, did you see that? 21 miles! Almost the “magic number 22”!)

So, many questions, the first is to compare the year of her abduction to some other cold child cases, Margo Hillman, and others fwiw. I’m not sure yet if they have a POI in Jonelle’s case. Anxiously going to read more.

Before we learned this has been a match, I had a thought in the middle of the night as to why someone might use this location for a disposal instead of the mountains: if the MP disappeared when there was a lot of snow, the perp may not have wanted to attempt to make that trek up icy/snowy mountain roads if their vehicle was not up to par. I was thinking about this in terms of Rita’s case, wondering how much snow was on the ground March 17, but remembered her perp JF did in fact have a white truck, iirc.

As for Rita, we will keep looking. Mackenzie Lueck’s friends Kennedy and Ashely mentioned that part of Mackenzie’s Voice, the nonprofit they have founded in honor which I know will do great things, may include some kind of work to do with bodies disposed of in “canyons”, which as LE did indicate they think Rita may be (quote upstream). I wonder if Rita’s family got their hopes up yesterday; my heart breaks for them. My first thought was that maybe it’s her, but after thinking about it more and how LE knew about the “canyon” in Mackenzie’s case, I figured LE really must have this solid evidence via pings, etc that she’s up there around Rabbit Mountain, etc. Making a note here to reach out to Mackenzie’s Voice:
info@mackenziesvoice.com
MacKenzie's Voice

Off to read now about Jonelle’s case. My first question is if she disappeared around the same time that Margaret Hillman did, looking upstream.

(Margo’s thread for reference
CO - CO - Margaret 'Margo' Hillman, 14, Lyons, 24 Sept 1983

Also wondering if LE suspects a stranger abduction in Jonelle’s case.

Gosh if they have perp DNA and it matches someone, wow he could suddenly be arrested and this thought is SO exciting. BAM! You thought they’d never find her, eh? But they decided to put a pipeline in! Foiled!!

Thanks everyone for joining in on this thread.

@Gardener1850 and @Gardenista (and everyone), wow those pictures of the site a few posts up were one heck of a Watts flashback.

Flagging this post for @Tricia and our mods, as they will be very happy to see this little girl has been found. Also can’t wait to see the thread title updated to “Match!”. I think this is the first UID thread I ever started, so very excited about this.

FYI:
@Harmony 2
@sillybilly
@liltexans
@Darling136
@CarlK90245 (UID Mod)

ETA: Special thanks to @Gardener1850 for all your assistance with this case; I am seeing you have notated/linked/bumped all the CO threads with this UID link. You rock.

Wow, I can’t believe it’s Jonelle and she’s been so close all these years! Those statistics do prove themselves over and over again though.
I hope this brings her family closure and the perp to justice.

Last edited:
Someone is possibly pooping in their pants right now and I find this very exciting. Just sayin.

(ETA: if they’re still alive.)

Oh please let there be some perp DNA!!

I wonder if this perp is incarcerated for another crime.

——

OMG this IS around the same time as Margo Hillman!

And there are POIs in that case, MOO.

Tread carefully and read closely:

(There was also Christine Jones, 1978, Lyons, CO:
CO - CO - Christine Jones, 17, Boulder County, 1 Sept 1977 )

Last edited:
That’s got to be the most rapid turn around I’ve ever seen in a case.
( @carbuff , @dotr )

Welcome to the world of Rapid DNA. Even if they had a suspicion based on clothes, etc, they would have to confirm it, of course.

Gosh, I have a million thoughts racing right now.

First thing is to read up on Jonelle’s case, which I had planned to do anyway today. As I mentioned earlier, I was not familiar with her case until yesterday when @kai mentioned her, but as soon as I saw the mileage and route I knew it looked practically perfect for a disposal ( @PommyMommy, did you see that? 21 miles! Almost the “magic number 22”!)

So, many questions, the first is to compare the year of her abduction to some other cold child cases, Margo Hillman, and others fwiw. I’m not sure yet if they have a POI in Jonelle’s case. Anxiously going to read more.

Before we learned this has been a match, I had a thought in the middle of the night as to why someone might use this location for a disposal instead of the mountains: if the MP disappeared when there was a lot of snow, the perp may not have wanted to attempt to make that trek up icy/snowy mountain roads if their vehicle was not up to par. I was thinking about this in terms of Rita’s case, wondering how much snow was on the ground March 17, but remembered her perp JF did in fact have a white truck, iirc.

As for Rita, we will keep looking. Mackenzie Lueck’s friends Kennedy and Ashely mentioned that part of Mackenzie’s Voice, the nonprofit they have founded in honor which I know will do great things, may include some kind of work to do with bodies disposed of in “canyons”, which as LE did indicate they think Rita may be (quote upstream). I wonder if Rita’s family got their hopes up yesterday; my heart breaks for them. My first thought was that maybe it’s her, but after thinking about it more and how LE knew about the “canyon” in Mackenzie’s case, I figured LE really must have this solid evidence via pings, etc that she’s up there around Rabbit Mountain, etc. Making a note here to reach out to Mackenzie’s Voice:
info@mackenziesvoice.com
MacKenzie's Voice

Off to read now about Jonelle’s case. My first question is if she disappeared around the same time that Margaret Hillman did, looking upstream.

(Margo’s thread for reference

Also wondering if LE suspects a stranger abduction in Jonelle’s case.

Gosh if they have perp DNA and it matches someone, wow he could suddenly be arrested and this thought is SO exciting. BAM! You thought they’d never find her, eh? But they decided to put a pipeline in! Foiled!!

Thanks everyone for joining in on this thread.

@Gardener1850 and @Gardenista (and everyone), wow those pictures of the site a few posts up were one heck of a Watts flashback.

Flagging this post for @Tricia and our mods, as they will be very happy to see this little girl has been found. Also can’t wait to see the thread title updated to “Match!”. I think this is the first UID thread I ever started, so very excited about this.

FYI:
@Harmony 2
@sillybilly
@liltexans
@Darling136
@CarlK90245 (UID Mod)

ETA: Special thanks to @Gardener1850 for all your assistance with this case; I am seeing you have notated/linked/bumped all the CO threads with this UID link. You rock.
BBM

Yes, ma'am! Darn near right on the money. ;) MOO

Someone is possibly pooping in their pants right now and I find this very exciting. Just sayin.

(ETA: if they’re still alive.)

Oh please let there be some perp DNA!!

I wonder if this perp is incarcerated for another crime.

——

OMG this IS around the same time as Margo Hillman!

And there are POIs in that case, MOO.

Tread carefully and read closely:

-there is also another case. I’ll link it.
There’s also Elizabeth Miller 1983
CO - CO - Elizabeth 'Beth' Miller, 14, Idaho Springs, 16 Aug 1983

DOH!!!!!!!! Great find!!!! Holy Moly!!

Linking this in Margo’s and Christine’s threads!!!!)

—-

ETA:

Look what else, Tracy Neef!!!!!

(Qmfr from Margo’s thread:

( I have started a thread for Christine:

CO - Christine Michelle Jones, 17, Lyons, 1978.
CO - CO - Christine Jones, 17, Boulder County, 1 Sept 1977

"It was a beautiful late summer morning in the Rockies.

Seventeen-year-old Christine Michele Jones, who had graduated from a high school in Anchorage, Alaska, lived in an upscale home in Boulder Heights northwest of the University of Colorado campus in Boulder. While preparing to attend college that fall, she worked as a sales clerk at Montgomery Ward.

Christine decided it was a good day to wash her Toyota in a canyon stream in Left Hand Canyon.

She dressed in a blue T-shirt, faded blue jeans and sandals that Thursday morning.

Christine told her father, Dennis Jones, and stepmother, Catherine, she was going to go clean her car at the stream. It was about 9:30 a.m. when she left the home at 220 Deer Trail Road.

She loaded a bucket and soap and cleaning supplies into her light blue car and drove northeast on Deer Trail Road a few blocks to Lee Hill Drive.

Christine turned left onto Lee and drove a little more than a mile until she reached Left Hand Canyon Drive.

A bridge at the intersection crosses over a stream in a canyon between Nugget and Hill mountains. It’s there that she began washing her car.

A few hours later, her parents realized Christine had not returned home from washing her car.

They were immediately concerned and drove down to the stream to look for her. Christina’s stepbrother also went to help search.

They found the car but not their daughter. They became more alarmed."

Cold Cases )

"Angela Wilds, 38 yoa
June 4th, 2006
Case #06-3079
Detective Brian Zierlein

The badly decomposed naked body of an unidentified female was found by a couple of hikers near a shallow grave southwest of Lyons in the South St.Vrain Canyon. Extensive investigation led to the identification of the body as that of Angela Wilds, a transient woman who had most recently lived in Longmont. Investigators contacted nearly 100 associate and acquaintances in their attempts to identify a motive and killer. The case remains open."

Harold "Nicky" Nicholson's murder has been solved -- but Boulder County still has fourteen cold homicide cases that haven't heated up yet

Ugh

"Tracy Neef, 7 yoa
March 16th, 1984
Case #S84-3781

Detective Carolyn Roberts (jointly investigated with the Thornton Police Department; they maintain custody of the case file)

The body of Tracy Neef, 7 years of age, was found dumped at a roadside pullout above Barker Reservoir in Boulder Canyon. She had been abducted earlier that day on her way to Bertha Heid Elementary School in Thornton. Her death was caused by asphyxia and exposure; it was suspected that she had been sexually abused as well.

The case was jointly investigated by Thornton PD and the Sheriff's Office; Thornton PD has custody of the case files. A likely suspect was identified, however, there is insufficient evidence for an arrest warrant at present."

Harold "Nicky" Nicholson's murder has been solved -- but Boulder County still has fourteen cold homicide cases that haven't heated up yet

*starting a thread for Tracy, will update this post with link.

Holy moly, Tracy Neef:

CO - CO - Tracy Neef, 7, Thornton, 16 March 1984

Last edited:
My sister just sent me a text to let me know about Jonelle being found. I am so thankful for this and that her family can lay her to rest peacefully. May there be evidence and may the killer be found now. She deserved so much better than this. RIP Jonelle.

Putting all these together in one post for reference so all threads are crosslinked, let me know if I’m missing anyone, tia.

Found Deceased - CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984

@otto , are you around for a quick favor please? Could you please give us a map visual on all these locations (last seen and found), dates, etc if you have some spare time? Thank you very much in advance! (If not no worries, maybe someone else can help :) )

ETA: Of course we do not know that any of these cases are even connected, but wow, if there is perp DNA on Jonelle, or any other information derived from this “modern” investigation, perhaps this could also help break some other cold cases wide open!

Last edited:
Putting all these links in a consolidated list for easy reference and cross linking:

CO - CO - Remains Found at Oil and Gas Site, Weld County, 24 July, 2019.

Found Deceased - CO - Jonelle Matthews, 12, Greeley, 20 Dec 1984

—-

ETA: Of course we do not know that any of these cases are even connected, but wow, if there is perp DNA on Jonelle, or any other information derived from this “modern” investigation, perhaps this could also help break some other cold cases wide open!

Last edited:
This is the most comprehensive article I can find about this cold case.
Greeley child snatched from living room after Christmas concert
It was a girl and her father who dropped Jonelle at home, and they noticed the garage door was up. It was a female teacher that called at 8:30 to tell Jonelle's Dad she needed a sub for the next day. Neighbors and teachers were questioned.
All of these roads seem to lead nowhere. A driver of a suspicious car in the neighborhood was even checked out.
I wonder if Jonelle and her Dad accidentally left the garage door up, allowing an intruder to hide in the house. But they would have had to know Jonelle would be returning home alone and would be alone for at least one hour before her Dad got home. And where was a vehicle to exit the scene? I don't see how anyone could get away on foot with her, that makes no sense. Footprints were found, but it doesn't say which direction they went in. No way would a perp just go ahead and park in the open garage. Jonelle would have noticed if a strange car was sitting in her garage!
The only conclusion I can think is that it had to have been a close neighbor, and I'm sure LE has checked them all out. Maybe they need to re check all of them again.

RIP Jonelle.

Above is an old post from 2013 but the link is still active. Jonelle's birth mom traced her and wrote to her parents in the hope of a reunion, when Jonelle would have been 25, not knowing she had been missing for 13 years. So sad.

Then in 1997, the Matthews received another shock, according to an article in the Greeley Tribune.

“My name is Terri Vierra-Martinez,” said a letter they received in the mail. “On February 9th, 1972, I gave birth to a baby girl at Cottage Hospital in Santa Barbara, Calif. A search consultant recently helped me locate the baby I gave up for adoption. After extensive efforts, it was found that her name is Jonelle Matthews. … I hope that your hearts will be open for a possible reunion sometime in the future.”

The letter stunned Gloria Matthews. The woman would have been 13 when she gave birth to Jonelle.

“”I was flabbergasted,” she told the Tribune reporter. “”It was very emotional, and I started crying right there in the post office.”

Terri and her husband visited the Matthews family.

The consultant had found the Matthews family within weeks but it had taken Terri several more months to get the nerve to write to the Matthews family.

“I was thrilled that Jonelle’s mother wanted to contact her, because Jonelle had always wanted that,” Gloria Matthews had told the Tribune. “But then I had to tell Terri that the little girl that she entrusted to us is gone. … I had to ask myself, ‘Could I have taken better care of her?”’

The Matthewses wrote and told Terri what had happened. Terri got excited when she saw the letter was so large, thinking that it may mean that Jonelle wanted to see her.

“Then when I read it, I cried again,” she told the Tribune reporter.

Terri would travel to Greeley and meet the Matthews family.

“This has put some closure in my life. … Jonelle has always been part of my prayers, ever since she was born, and now – not knowing where she is – I’ll continue to pray for her,” she told the reporter.

Link to the page I've quoted from:
Greeley child snatched from living room after Christmas concert

From the above link:

posterTitleMissing.png

Jonelle Matthews
NCMC601837c1.jpg

• Missing Since
    • Dec 20, 1984
    • Missing From
    • Greeley, CO
    • DOB
    • Feb 9, 1972
    • Age Now
    • Sex
    • Female
    • Race
    • White
    • Hair Color
    • Brown
    • Eye Color
    • Brown
    • Height
    • 5'3"
    • Weight
    • 115 lbs
Age Progressed
NCMC601837e1.jpg

“Jonelle's photo is shown age-progressed to 46 years. She was dropped off at her parents' home at 8:30 p.m. Her parents returned at 10:00 p.m. and she had disappeared. Jonelle has braces on her teeth, pierced ears and scars on her chin. She was last seen wearing a light blue ski coat, a red blouse, a dark gray sweater vest, a gray skirt, and house slippers.”

Updated Charley Project Link:
Jonelle Renee Matthews – The Charley Project

(I had to remove 2 images that are already included above in the NCMEC link as WS only allows for 5 images per post)

Jonelle Renee Matthews
  • jonelle_renee_matthews_2.jpg
  • matthews_jonelle3.jpg
  • matthews_jonelle4.jpg
  • matthews_jonelle5.jpg

• Missing Since 12/20/1984
  • Missing From Greeley, Colorado
  • Classification Non-Family Abduction
  • Date of Birth 02/09/1972 (47)
  • Age12 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'3, 115 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description
  • A light blue ski jacket, a red blouse, a dark gray sweater vest, a charcoal gray skirt and house slippers.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Jonelle has a scar on her chin. She wore a full set of braces on her teeth at the time of her 1984 disappearance. Jonelle's ears are pierced. Some agencies may spell her first name "Janelle" or "Jonell" and her last name "Mathews," or give her age at the time of her disappearance as fourteen.
Details of Disappearance
Jonelle was dropped off by friends at her family's residence in the 300 block of 43rd Avenue Court in Greeley, Colorado on December 20, 1984 at approximately 8:15 p.m. She was returning from a Christmas choral program at a nursing home, where she had sung with her middle school choir, and was to wait for the rest of her family to arrive at the home.

Her sixteen-year-old sister and her father, Jim Matthews, were at a basketball game and her mother, Gloria Matthews, was visiting relatives out of state. Jonelle was last heard from at 8:30 p.m., when she took a phone message from an acquaintance of her father.

Jim arrived at the house at approximately 9:30 p.m. and discovered she had disappeared. Jonelle's stockings, shoes, shawl, and a portable heater were on the floor and the television and lights were turned on. It is believed she was interrupted while watching television.

The garage door was discovered open and investigators located footprints inside the garage and around the back of the family's home, but there were no indications of a scuffle in the snow of the yard. Authorities suspect that an unknown intruder or intruders broke into the residence and abducted Jonelle that evening. She has never been seen again.

Jonelle's biological mother, Terri Vierra-Martinez, located the child's adoptive parents in 1997. Vierra-Martinez learned about Jonelle's disappearance at that time. She also discovered that law enforcement had kept her under surveillance for six weeks after Jonelle's 1984 abduction. Authorities were not permitted to give Vierra-Martinez any information concerning her daughter's case at the time due to adoption privacy laws.

Vierra-Martinez is not a suspect in Jonelle's disappearance. She has become friends with Jonelle's adoptive parents. Jim and Gloria believe that their daughter is deceased and have held a memorial service for her. They now live in the Philippines.

Police have stated they believe local people know more about Jonelle's disappearance than they have stated; they theorize that she was abducted by someone who knew her and lived in the community, and that possibly the perpetrator still lives in the area.

At the time of her disappearance, Jonelle attended Franklin Middle School and attended Sunny View Church of the Nazarene. Her case remains unsolved.
Investigating Agency
  • Greeley Police Department 303-350-9670
Source Information
Updated 8 times since October 12, 2004. Last updated December 22, 2018; two pictures added, details of disappearance updated.”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members