Found Deceased CO - Joseph Keller, 18, Antonito, 23 July 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
$10,000 reward for the return or information leading to the return of Joe Keller. - per FB

3 days and no food or water....... I don't see this having a happy ending.

(unless he finds a creek with water and berries etc.) jmo

According to the Find Joe Keller facebook page, they have not found Joe nor do they have any new leads. Now the PD is leaning towards foul play/ possible abduction.

Wow, this is turning into one of those classic "Missing 411" stories where a runner turns around and can't find someone. :( He's got to be there somewhere, but there are just so many nooks and crannies in mountainous country.

I live a near Cleveland, TN, where this young man is from.

Here's a snippet from a local news story about his worried family:
http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/2964236...search-for-cleveland-teen-missing-in-colorado

. . . "He ran off ahead and then he came back and he never saw Joe again," says Jared Keller. "They have all sorts of people over there on horses, ATVs, riding around seeing if they can find anything."

Keller is an avid runner and a swim coach for the Waterdogs Swim Team in Cleveland.

"It's hard to believe that someone so fit and everything would just disappear like this," says Jared.

His 19th birthday was Friday, the day after he disappeared.

"It's so unlike Joe. Joe is one of these...he's a family kid. He's always with his friends. He's always with somebody," says Stacey.

I doubt that he is lost, more likely he took a wrong turn down an unimproved trail or a deer path and ended up falling off of something or falling over something.

They need to search first along all the narrow trails that run along the topside of cliffs and outcroppings.
Altitude sickness is a possibility, but with that, you normally start feeling really queasy and light headed over a period of time. These articles are saying they were only going out for a one hour jog, I'm not sure that's enough time for altitude sickness to really get a good hold on you unless you are basically running straight uphill for 3 or 4 miles. Even then, he would probably just sit down and rest for awhile in an attempt to use less oxygen and slow down his breath rate.

More than likely this is going to be a slip and fall or trip and fall type accident. They'll find him.
Not sure what shape he'll be in though, hopefully just a broken leg or some other injury that is preventing him from being mobile and walking out of there. It all depends on how he landed, the fact that he isn't yelling for help isn't a good sign either. Sound travels a long way in the mountains.

I doubt that he is lost, more likely he took a wrong turn down an unimproved trail or a deer path and ended up falling off of something or falling over something.

They need to search first along all the narrow trails that run along the topside of cliffs and outcroppings.

I have no details of the actual search, but I suspect if he had fallen off the edge of the road or side trail, he would have been found by now. Experienced SAR teams (and most, if not all teams in Colorado are probably very well trained, since they get a lot of callouts) would approach this search in a very systematic way. It would start with what's known as reflex tasking. Think of it as a wheel, where the center hub is the initial planning point (point last seen). They would initially do a very detailed search, at least 300 meters around this hub. Simultaneously, the would do the following :
1. Look at the map, and imagine the spokes of the wheel representing routes of travel that emanate from (or close) to the hub. They would send out what's known as hasty teams to quickly walk all routes from the hub, looking not only for the subject, but for any clues.
2. Now, image the reflectors on this wheel as representing any points that might attract the subject, or are dangerous area. Teams would be sent to specifically check those areas.
3. Image the outside rim of the wheel. They would look at the map, and try to deploy staitionary or roving resources along the outer edge to contain the subject, if they were moving. There is no search, if the subject leaves the area.

All of the steps above would be done within the first 8-12 hours of a callout, if not sooner. If these steps were done at night, they would be repeated during the day. Clues would be identified, and the teams would debrief with info that would allow the search manager to plan a more systemized area search if the subject is not found during the reflex tasking.

If the subject was not located, they would take the map, and create "segments" that would be weighted based on statistical/ historical data and local experience. They probably utilized the reference "Lost Person Behavior", that provides critical statistical data for various categories of lost persons, based on thousands of actual missions. These segments would then be assigned to teams (air scent dog teams initially if possible) to be area searched.

I could go on, but suffice it to say, modern day search is much structured than it might appear to the outsider looking in. Caveat - Some searches are not run this way, but as I mentioned, I suspect given the location, the local resources are probably very well trained in the best practices.

That's some high elevation, too.

"The ranch rises to over 10,000’ at the north end before it drops down into the river valley."

http://rainbowtroutranch.com/colorado-guest-ranch-lodging/

I wonder if they were used to running in this elevation?
I am used to over 6 thousand feet, but running around 10 thousand feet is taxing if a person is not used to it.
IMOO.

I thought that too, only because I've heard so many NFL players talk about playing in Denver. If he wasn't used to it maybe he passed out and fell?

I hope he's okay.

What an odd story. Time is dwindling but he's young and athletic so I'll hold out hope!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My questions are:

Whose idea was it to run in opposite directions for a half hour, and then meet up for a total of an hour of running?

Is it possible that Joe met up with someone during that time period, someone that he knows?

It was said that he has family there. I wonder how familiar he was with the area, and the people that live there?

Maybe he met up with a friend/acquaintance that nobody knew about?

Maybe something went wrong from there? It's been a week...

All just thoughts and questions.

He went missing on a road...

How many people drove past his friend since they were running in opposite directions?

How many side roads are there to the main Forest road?

Would someone have driven to where Joe was, (going in the same direction as Joe's running friend, but coming from the opposite way), picked up Joe, then turned around, therefore going in the opposite direction again, so therefore the running friend would not have seen this vehicle coming and going?

If they feel this was foul play/abduction, do they feel he was taken by car?
Maybe car, ATV, horseback willingly and something went wrong?

Again all thoughts and questions.
None of these may have happened, or some of these could have happened...

All Just My Opinion.
All Just thoughts as there is not much to go on. Joe is missing.

IMOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member