CO CO - Kayleah Wilson, 12, Greeley, 28 March 2010 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
On Sunday, one week after she disappeared, police planned to stop cars in the area and ask drivers if they noticed anything a week before.
Police Sgt. Joe Tymkowych says authorities are also searching two residential areas near the girl's home, including one that wouldn't have been on her way to the birthday party.
A search of some ponds and a wooded, undeveloped area Saturday turned up no sign of Kayleah.

(snipped)
http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/police-ask-motorists-for-434846.html

this board has turned so quiet...
i wish we knew what some of the leads are or where they are coming from...if they are realistic or just the kind of thing that LE feels they must follow up on, just in case...

On Sunday, one week after she disappeared, police planned to stop cars in the area and ask drivers if they noticed anything a week before.
Police Sgt. Joe Tymkowych says authorities are also searching two residential areas near the girl's home, including one that wouldn't have been on her way to the birthday party.

Sure would be nice to know the areas and why they feel they should search there . . .

A 12 year-old Greeley girl, who loves the Irish folk group Celtic Thunder and spends much of her time at the library, remained missing Sunday as searchers continued to track a growing collection of leads.

Police, FBI agents and volunteers scoured the area around Greeley for Kayleah Wilson, last seen March 28 as she left her home to walk to a friend's birthday party.

Local and national media coverage of the search led to a spate of calls to the FBI.

"All of these leads are being followed up by the Greeley Police Department and FBI agents working on the investigation," FBI spokesman Dave S. Joly said in a statement.

Authorities searched ponds and a wooded area on Saturday but found no sign of the girl.

The missing girl's brother, Mackenzie, 17, and some friends, have joined in the search, said Ken Turner, Kayleah's cousin, who is acting as spokesman for the family.

"He went to the Poudre River Trail passing out flyers, he went down in the rocks and checked out the underbrush and spoke to some people who appeared to be homeless," Turner said.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/ci_14819278#ixzz0kBWSRKaO

Mother attempts to hang on to hope despite discouraging results
Sunday, April 4, 2010

On a day when Christians celebrate a miracle, Darin and Lynette Greghorn gathered April Wilson in a circle and prayed for one.

Even as hope gets harder and harder to find, a week after her daughter, Kayleah, 12, disappeared, April prayed in the Northern Colorado Cowboy Church for something good to happen.

She reminded herself to hope. She picked the Cowboy Church to attend Easter services — Sunday was only her second time there — because Kayleah told her mother she wanted to go there for Easter before she left for a friend's birthday party. She hasn't been seen since.

“Honestly,” April said, “I wanted her to walk through the doors. It would have been lovely.”

http://www.greeleytribune.com/article/20100404/NEWS/100409813/1002&parentprofile=1001

I hope K isn't gone from us, but the longer we wait, the more that's what it looks like.

Flying over Northern Colorado, it's striking how many bodies of water there are. I hope they can run a drone over the area and check for shallow graves like they did in California. I'm guessing that there's a need to search the river(s) too.

I'm not sure but I think if a body is dumped those of us who live in the area might want to keep an eye out for more carrion birds than usual.

I guess I am hoping she is running far, far away and does not know what chaos and anxiety she has caused...
but very unlikely...from all we know it seems she was a pretty happy child, at least I have not seen anything that really shows otherwise. Her post on the Ms page about loving pancakes breaks my heart...

The Federal Bureau of Investigation has been looking for the Greeley girl since last week. More than 200 tips have been called into the FBI.The Weld County Sheriff's Office is also searching for Wilson and provides the following tips for anyone who wants to help in the search:

*Check and look along road sides, back roads, fields, dump areas that you may know about in the county or in the towns or areas you drive to or live near. These may be areas that you routinely drive, walk, run, jog, etc. Check any ditches or areas that are typically hard to see when driving by at high speeds. Other potential areas to check are under bridges, in abandoned barns or structures that are not normally occupied, abandoned vehicles, etc.

*If you notice a suspicious odor in an area, or see activities in or around abandoned homes or property; if you happen to see circling birds or gathering predators, like coyotes in or around an area, check it out to see if it is safe, or contact the local law enforcement agency near you to have it checked out.

*If you own property that is not currently occupied, check it out to make sure it is still secure and that everything inside is in order and as you expect it to be. If you know your neighbor is not home and you have permission to go on their property, check for any broken windows, doors, or suspicious activity or things that may appear out of place to you.

*If you live in a rural area and know your neighbors are gone for extended periods of time, drive by those areas and make note of any unusual cars, vehicles or things that appear out of place and are not consistent with what you are familiar with.

*If you live near an empty home or building, watch for any suspicious activity or unusual people or vehicles in or around the structure that are not normally there.

*Do NOT go in any buildings or homes that you do not own or trespass on private property, to search any areas.

*If you see or suspect anything suspicious, do not attempt to pick it up, touch it or contaminate the immediate surrounding areas. If you leave the area before authorities arrive try to leave the same way you came in so other potential items are not disturbed or contaminated.

If a suspicious incident is in progress and you are concerned for public safety always call 911.

If the situation is not an emergency, call the Greeley Police Department at 970-350-9600 or the FBI at 1-800-CALL-FBI (1-4800-225-5324)

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/23051506/detail.html

Sure would be nice to know the areas and why they feel they should search there . . .

searched ponds in the Gateway Lakes Nature Area on the southwest corner of U.S. 34 and 35th Avenue, just west of the Home Depot store.

They include an area just west of Greeley West High School, a site just west of the Home Depot store at the intersection of U.S. 34 and 35th Avenue and a wooded stretch just east of Centerplace shopping area, along Centerplace Drive.

“These are the kinds of areas where something could be and nobody would walk by and see it,” Tymkowych said.

http://www.greeleytribune.com/article/20100403/NEWS/100409867/1002

I keep checking in here, hoping for good news. I just can't stop thinking about little Kayleah. I pray she is found soon. :praying:

I guess I am hoping she is running far, far away and does not know what chaos and anxiety she has caused...
but very unlikely...from all we know it seems she was a pretty happy child, at least I have not seen anything that really shows otherwise. Her post on the Ms page about loving pancakes breaks my heart...
I was the kid that stayed at the library. I stayed by myself, and too much. Partly by choice, partly not. I remember being excited about pancakes, too. My mom didn't fix them much. And I got good grades in school and didn't cause problems.

We couldn't always afford new shoes and socks and used to wear them until the toes poked through the front. My mom was always struggling, balancing work, cooking and housework, settling sibling fights and setting rules to raise us. I understand some, if not all, of what AW is up against as a single mom.

I just don't see a girl like that running away, because they are too aware that they can't live on the streets. I was very surprised she didn't even take a jacket with her. I think she planned to be home by 7pm so she didn't have to make that walk after dark.

i agree, i was only WISHING she had run away at this point...there would be more of a chance she might be okay, i think...
the way it is now...it does not look good at all. i can't think of a scenario where she would be ok after 8 days/7 nights already...

bbm,

and ITA!

almost every single case of a preyed upon child starts with them being ALONE! The buddy system needs to be used at all times with everyone... no matter what age.

If Chelsea King had not gone running alone maybe she would be alive today. If Somer Thompson hadn't left her group and walked ahead perhaps her crushed and violated body would not have been found in a landfill.

I am ALL ABOUT PRIMARY PREVENTION in my professional career as a nurse. This means finding where problems start and working to prevent them from even "starting". Bottom line in missing child cases and primary prevention (imhoo) is children NOT EVER being alone. For example, what if Kayleah's brother, mother, grandmother, etc walked her to the meeting point for the birthday party? Hindsight IS completely 20/20 but you know what... I have watched case after case after case of the same circumstances. A child is alone and they get grabbed. I am by no means judging Kayleah's family for letting her be alone so much at this age but I am screaming from the top of my lungs that these things CAN BE PREVENTED.

Sorry for the rant but really... it is about time that we all take action to prevent our children from being vulnerable... and alone.

Great post

You really nailed this....there is a common thread in many of these sad tales and in the case of young girls/women who go missing or end up victims the common thread is often being off on their own...there is safety in numbers

The wolf looks for the sheep who strays from the flock....sad but true
Having a charged cell phone is also a good idea (look at poor Morgan Harrington)

Here's hoping and praying that somehow Kayleah will be a miracle story with a happy ending...we need more of those

This is becoming less hopeful as each day passes.

How You Can Help Find Kayleah Wilson

Weld Co. Sheriff's Office Suggests Ways You Can Help Find Missing 12-Year-Ol
d

23040240_640X480.jpg

The Weld County Sheriff's Office is also searching for Wilson and provides the following tips for anyone who wants to help in the search:

Check and look along road sides, back roads, fields, dump areas that you may know about in the county or in the towns or areas you drive to or live near. These may be areas that you routinely drive, walk, run, jog, etc. Check any ditches or areas that are typically hard to see when driving by at high speeds. Other potential areas to check are under bridges, in abandoned barns or structures that are not normally occupied, abandoned vehicles, etc.

If you notice a suspicious odor in an area, or see activities in or around abandoned homes or property; if you happen to see circling birds or gathering predators, like coyotes in or around an area, check it out to see if it is safe, or contact the local law enforcement agency near you to have it checked out.

If you own property that is not currently occupied, check it out to make sure it is still secure and that everything inside is in order and as you expect it to be. If you know your neighbor is not home and you have permission to go on their property, check for any broken windows, doors, or suspicious activity or things that may appear out of place to you.
If you live in a rural area and know your neighbors are gone for extended periods of time, drive by those areas and make note of any unusual cars, vehicles or things that appear out of place and are not consistent with what you are familiar with.

If you live near an empty home or building, watch for any suspicious activity or unusual people or vehicles in or around the structure that are not normally there.

Do NOT go in any buildings or homes that you do not own or trespass on private property, to search any areas.

If you see or suspect anything suspicious, do not attempt to pick it up, touch it or contaminate the immediate surrounding areas. If you leave the area before authorities arrive try to leave the same way you came in so other potential items are not disturbed or contaminated.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/23051506/detail.html#

I keep checking in here, hoping for good news. I just can't stop thinking about little Kayleah. I pray she is found soon. :praying:

Me too, Bewildered. This little girl has really tugged at my heartstrings for some reason. I think it is her picture (especially the one in my sig)...she looks very much like I did at that age. It's been a week now...I don't want to lose hope, but....if she didn't run away, I'm afraid by this time it isn't going to be a happy ending :-(

she looks like one of my nieces too...i can't look away. the tops posted by LE are very good and hope they are distributed throughout the county. whatever has happened, she needs to be found soon so that they will be able to prove what happened, if she has been harmed, and not lose more and more evidence...i hope i am wrong but do not see how she could be ok by now.

It is so true about girls being alone...I have 5 nieces between 16-26 and worry quietly constantly...I am positive their moms are on them all the time and i know they are careful, mature girls (mostly-the youngest tends to be "friends" with too many people on FB! :( ) but I always worry...there are so many things to worry about, jealous boyfriends, drunken frat boys, random creeps.

We had all of those things too and bad stuff happened back in the day as well...I guess because we are bombarded by media, we feel like these things happen all the time, which really is not true, far more women and girls are hurt or killed by someone they know...but this type of scenario, i.e. where a girl/young woman goes missing, brings out every latent fear that we all have, the stranger who brings danger...

Oh I wish she would turn up in California having hitched a ride with a safe, kind trucker who for some reason did not call authorities...wishful thinking...and praying for Kayleah and family tonight. This little girl is keeping me awake all week, bless her heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop