CO CO - Kayleah Wilson, 12, Greeley, 28 March 2010 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Michelle Thompson Update: I have been asked by the family spokeperson to post about searches. We are putting off large group searches till we get professional help. Laura Recover Center will be helping us out. www.lrcf.org has a manual that you may read. If you are outdoors you may look if you find something please call the police r...ight away.
The family appreciates everyones support.
I just found this on Prayer's for Kayleah Wilson's safe return wall so glad to hear they are having them come in to help.

KW's FB page has a goth theme, that's for sure. I studied the whole goth genre in depth for a project I recently completed, including the fashion and the attitudes. It all fits. The anime influence on goth fashion is mostly unknown in this country but is very popular in Japan.

It's hard to be the kid that doesn't have the cellphone. It might be no more than a fashion statement that says, "I have a limited budget but I want to be cool and I feel like an artist and I hang around with smart and creative people."

I'm surprised that the turnout for the search today was reported as a small group in the Greeley Tribune article.

It does seem that searching and the whole case isn't getting the press it had been getting. I'm starting to wonder if the whole posse and dragging the lake was to make the community feel something constructive was being done.

I often wonder how I'd manage the balance of community PR and LE if I were in their position.

One of the girls on the Prayer Wall said that she found out Kayleah was going to her cousin J's birthday party was posted 7 hours ago, so sounds like there was a party.

QUESTION....

I heard/or read that there was confusion about the party. Anyone have that info?

Have they confirmed there was a REAL birthday party? (or was that just an excuse to hang with friends, get out of the house...)

Thanks so much
On NG's show the other night it was said that the party was real.

One of the girls on the Prayer Wall said that she found out Kayleah was going to her cousin J's birthday party was posted 7 hours ago, so sounds like there was a party.

But did Mom not originally say "friend's" party? I would think you would say cousin's or family member. And as a family member party wouldn't you think that the cousin/aunt/uncle someone would have called her Mom and asked why she wasn't there? Maybe, maybe not I suppose it depends on the relationship.

back again to the statement "run away again".......from what I can remember some guy was saying on facebook that he was wondering why his daughter had been interviewed by the FBI a couple of times and it was because Kayleahs brother had told her that she had run away again......they were questioning who else he had told this to..

anyhow I do agree...even if she has run away 11 days is a long time for a 12 year old to be gone......and I am scared that once run away she has encountered an evil doer....I really really hope not......

Searches are a tough one as this is one of my expertise. Having the community involved is critical, but relying on them to search on their own is not a great idea. Someone or some group experienced needs to be heading up the searches, training the volunteers at a minimum level, working a proper grid, mapping, etc. While it's very well meaning, it's very ineffective and can damage evidence in certain situations. It also leads to a false sense of security that an area has been "cleared". I've seen far too many found in an area that was already searched by well meaning friends, family and the community. Colorado has no shortage of search groups, someone should be able to help.

Edit to add, just read Roni's post and it looks like that's exactly what is going to happen.

On NG's show the other night it was said that the party was real.

Maybe it's just me but after watching NG botch just about everything she had to say about Chelsea King and Amber Dubois I don't trust much of what she says, she has gone over to the media dark side imo.

I think this is a tough one for LE as who can recall the last time they had such a case without any cell records to determine who she last spoke to, who she was texting, who was calling her, etc...not to mention pings for location...
for a decade LE has been counting on this type of info and now they have to go back to the "old days" and just try to find her via leg work and pleas to the public...
I have never been a big fan of cell phones for pre-teens but I am guessing there are parents out there who will rethink their age guideline for their child, if they were holding off getting them a phone. If a kid keeps it turned on it acts as a tracking device...and keeps a history of who they are in touch with. Well worth the $ for whatver cheapest plan can be found, IMO

It was not Kayleah's cousin but the other girl's sorry not to make that more clearer I am new at posting.

not to mention NG said a 12-yr old would be in 4th or 5th grade!

But did Mom not originally say "friend's" party? I would think you would say cousin's or family member. And as a family member party wouldn't you think that the cousin/aunt/uncle someone would have called her Mom and asked why she wasn't there? Maybe, maybe not I suppose it depends on the relationship.

The girl did not post that it was Kayleah's cousin's birthday party...the girl said Kayleah was going to a party for a cousin of her (as in the girl posting) friend J's and the party was at J's house.

Thanks! With Laura Recoverey coming in that will help much and get some organization and leadership so the community can help more.

Did mall surveillance cameras spot Kayleah at the mall? Was she seen going inside, or only outside, and was she walking in some direction?

I think this is a tough one for LE as who can recall the last time they had such a case without any cell records to determine who she last spoke to, who she was texting, who was calling her, etc...not to mention pings for location...
for a decade LE has been counting on this type of info and now they have to go back to the "old days" and just try to find her via leg work and pleas to the public...
I have never been a big fan of cell phones for pre-teens but I am guessing there are parents out there who will rethink their age guideline for their child, if they were holding off getting them a phone. If a kid keeps it turned on it acts as a tracking device...and keeps a history of who they are in touch with. Well worth the $ for whatver cheapest plan can be found, IMO
:waitasec:
I'm wondering if parents who otherwise wouldn't want their kids to have a cellphone, would want one that could only call 911 like they give to the women at the shelters. Or maybe if companies could come up with a pay phone plan. It could allow fewer calls, kind of like back when we carried a dime or a quarter for a pay phone. If such a plan gave them more customers, I bet one of the carriers would jump on it.

I'm wondering if parents who otherwise wouldn't want their kids to have a cellphone, would want one that could only call 911 like they give to the women at the shelters. Or maybe if companies could come up with a pay phone plan. It could allow fewer calls, kind of like back when we carried a dime or a quarter for a pay phone. If such a plan gave them more customers, I bet one of the carriers would jump on it.

Many people buy cell phones to keep in the car for "emergency use only." They often pay rates such as $15/month and $50 sign-up fees. These fees are NOT necessary.
You can use a used cell phone to call 911 without paying anything at all. Cell phones are regulated by the FCC. FCC requirements state that ALL cell phones, regardless of status of service (or even the lack of service) must be able to dial 911. Whether you have a telephone number or not, whether you have signed up for service or not, your cell phone can connect to 911.

So if you have a used cell phone and it still works, you can give it to your child, charged to take with in case of an emergency.

Such a great point, and maybe it should be made into a national campaign Darlin Gal!

I wasn't thinking so much of the child calling 911, I guess, as LE being able to track him/her...
but of course calling 911 is ideal, though I don't know how many times when someone is in danger they would actually get the chance to do so...
But if a child had a phone turned on even in backpack, at least it could be "pinged"-although is this true of tracfones too, does anyone know?
I have a tracfone, pay as I go, as I hardly ever use a cellphone at all, and don't get a bill, can LE trace calls and locations on these?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3