CO CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - #13 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has there been any past examples of PF being enamored or loving toward the little daughter? So far I don't see child custody as
being a motive here, unless I've missed something.
I believe Kelsey's successes wore on PF, she had accomplished
a lot at her young age and he still hadn't left the womb.
Macho men don't take kindly to females who outpace them
professionally. She probably made a lot more money than he did.
She had her independence, her home, her career. What did he have? A few cows (or mommy did), a sideline playing rodeo cowboy, don't know how successful he was there but many of
these guys play at it but don't earn much income.
I think he resented her all around. And wanted to move on to
someone more on his level. Kelsey had outgrown him and he
knew it and hated her for it.
Yes, this is what I was trying to articulate earlier. This is exactly what I think happened. I don't think it was about custody - I think it was about getting rid of Kelsey. I agree with you that I think he resented her and that was the motive.

jmo

Has there been any past examples of PF being enamored or loving toward the little daughter? So far I don't see child custody as
being a motive here, unless I've missed something.
I believe Kelsey's successes wore on PF, she had accomplished
a lot at her young age and he still hadn't left the womb.
Macho men don't take kindly to females who outpace them
professionally. She probably made a lot more money than he did.
She had her independence, her home, her career. What did he have? A few cows (or mommy did), a sideline playing rodeo cowboy, don't know how successful he was there but many of
these guys play at it but don't earn much income.
I think he resented her all around. And wanted to move on to
someone more on his level. Kelsey had outgrown him and he
knew it and hated her for it.

For some people, gaining custody is more about control than love. He probably sees K as his "property" IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
The person PF may have been most likely to confess to, is the person who was already aware of what he had planned to do--the one whom he'd previously solicited. Wonder if the reward money helped crack this case...

Has someone looked into if Colorado is a joint custody or maternal primary custody state by default?

Colorado’s default is 50/50 joint custody (legal decisions). Physical custody is based on what has been customary for the child, with great consideration of best interest.

If KB had mused over moving out of state to be near her family since the marriage was a no-go, then she would’ve had difficulty in doing that, as PF and his Mom were primary custodians when KB worked.

If she had tried to move back to the Pacific NW, then she could’ve ended up in another state without her baby, paying child support to PF and visiting once a month, getting her baby on alternate holidays and partial summer.

However, I doubt that was even in consideration, since KB just purchased the Woodland Park townhouse in May and had a dream job.

You can’t just up and move and take a child anymore, just because you are a mom.

So I feel there MUST be a different reason PF felt the need to murder the mother of his child.

Perhaps HE wanted to move to be with a new gf and take the child? Perhaps child-raising decisions? We will hopefully find out soon.

Meanwhile, as tragic as this case is, it is an unbelievable relief to me that this won’t be another Josh Powell situation!

Im not certain when the waste management trip happened, but it sure as heck seems like the second visit to the PF's ranch and a return for more evidence at Kelseys apartment happened quickly after. JMO

This is a lot more complex and involved than I thought it would be. I thought it would be nasty argument, violent man kills her, hides body, shuts up and it's years or never before justice can be had.

Last edited:
The date/s of alleged solicitation will be most interesting. Is this something that happened Thanksgiving eve & due to her work needed to be completed that weekend?

Did the solicited person haul her body off on a horse/cattle trailer, possibly? PF might have drafted a text & someone (with or w/o body) pushed “send”.

I hope PF had his Xmas shopping finished & that his mom can return hers. What an outrageously sad situation.

Last edited:
No. Law enforcement can put you in handcuffs without arresting you. It happens more often than you would think.
This is very true. Had it happen to me. My ex and I were both handcuffed and detained while police searched our apartment, someone reported gunshots in our building and we we were last apartment they searched/evacuated (there wasn't any actual gun shots). I literally had cops pointing guns at me and my ex while they made us exit in our pajamas, I was half naked. Detention can be used as precautionary method so people don't turn to violence.

I am not surprised by the arrest. I would have expected a crime of passion with the coverup attempt (phone to Gooding).

The solicitation charge is just over the top. That crime could have been weeks or months ago. I don't see how LE can make the charge without the other end, i.e. the person solicited coming forward to make a statement. JMO it would not amount to guys having some beers and PF was just emoting about how he would pay someone to kill that b****! The charge suggests IMO that he made a decided, serious, genuine offer to someone to murder KB for money or other benefit. The person probably declined, maybe took it that PF was just ranting, blowing off steam. With all the media exposure, that person likely reached out to LE with his story.

Wow! I never saw this coming this way, that PF has been planning over time rather than a heat of the moment.
Perhaps they have been tapping his cellphone, and overheard conversations relating to what happened ? or they have emails, or someone has come forward that knew of the plan - maybe not the individual asked to participate but someone they knew? I can't wait to see how technology played its part in this case. IMO

Correct. In most cases it's for LE safety.
And to control the situation. For all we know, she was saying things to the officers - maybe like "Let me get the baby!" or "You're making a big mistake - get out of here!" and they needed to make sure she wasn't going to interfere with the arrest or make sudden moves. They might not know if she was armed, either, or if she and PF had some plan to resist arrest. Better to control the situation and proceed safely.

jmo

PF was arrested and charged with first-degree murder and solicitation of murder. Video advisement today at 3:30 pm - no cameras allowed in the courtroom.

The arrest warrant is sealed and is expected to be sealed for at least a month. LE said more arrests are possible.

His first appearance (formal charges) is set for 12/31 at 9:00 am.

KB's phone did end up in Idaho and investigators are trying to recover it.

KB's home is believed to be the crime scene.

MOO
I hope they find it STAT.

For some people, gaining custody is more about control than love. He probably sees Kaylee as his "property" IMO.

Yes ma'am. I can attest to that from firsthand experience in my practice.

And some of the most determined people who fight to retain custody in the face of CPS allegations and relatives willing and able and begging to take the child, are those parents who batter and torture their kids to death. And just abusers and neglecters in general. They are damned if anyone is going to take their possession.

(Not saying he is abusive or neglectful to his kid. I have seen nothing to suggest that).

@PommyMommy - thank you for keeping up with the Media Thread!!!
thank-you-smiley.gif
and thank you tippy for providing the time zone conversions. it always throws me off.

True. But PF's mother was not disabled or in frail health as some posters painted her. At her age (I'm not sure I can post her exact age publicly), she helped take care of a baby/toddler.

Exactly, there was speculation about PF’s mother being too disabled to properly care for a little one. I perceived that to mean she was in a wheelchair or bed ridden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Backhand