CO CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - #34 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know...I think Brad Cooper is due to get out in 2021? Ugh.

Question for veteran WSers: do you see this happen very much? (major (digital) evidence used to convict someone ultimately being called into question to the point of appeal for a second trial (w/change of plea) being granted?) Just knowing about this particular case, has me on edge for Kelsey's case, knowing how important digital evidence will be in PF's trial. I'm hoping what happened in the Brad Cooper case is more isolated, and that with Kelsey's case, LE is following protocol to a T, in terms of processing digital evidence. The murder of Nancy Cooper was my first WS case, and was local to me. I actually know someone tied to the case, but didn't realize it until certain news articles came out during the trial.

"Gessner, who also presided over the trial in 2011, allowed prosecutors to introduce evidence of a Google Maps search of the site where Nancy Cooper’s body had been found. Prosecutors argued that the map search and time stamps associated with it showed that Brad Cooper had searched for a site to dump his wife’s body.

The defense team at trial, however, raised questions about the validity of the time stamps on the laptop files.

Gessner ruled against the defense’s attempt to classify two witnesses as forensics experts to raise questions about the computer evidence.

The appeals court judges noted that the “sole physical evidence linking” Brad Cooper to the homicide was the Google Maps search. “Absent this evidence, the evidence connecting Defendant to this crime was primarily potential motive, opportunity, and testimony of suspicious behavior,” the ruling stated.

Further, the appeals court panel added that “whether the error was constitutional or not,” failure to let Brad Cooper use his experts was a key error that warranted a new trial."

Brad Cooper pleads guilty to second-degree murder; gets at least 12 years in prison

I know that this might seem OT, but I'm just referencing this case because of the fact that it also relied on digital (computer) evidence. I hope KB's, PF's and KK's phone providers were able to provide chalk full of data!!
Wow! It seems like it was just yesterday when this happened. How do people get 2nd degree murder, murder is murder.

Question: If KK/KL or whatever our resident <modsnipped> is calling herself these days ends up being arrested (fingers crossed!), will the warrant and arrest/booking come out of Twin Falls, ID, or from Teller County, CO? Just trying to figure out which sites need to be monitored for (fingers crossed!) new arrests.

Anyone know? @Mercedes,@riolove77, do either of you know whether ID or CO would be the state that would pick up (extra manpower required!) KK/KL and toss (again, extra manpower required!) her in the hoosegow if charges end up being filed against her?

There was a post recently stating CO conceals arrests, iirc.
If so, MIGHT she be in custody? If she arrived in CO & turned herself in, would we know? Jmo

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a post recently stating CO conceals arrests, iirc.
If so, MIGHT she be in custody? If she arrived in CO & turned herself in, would we know? Jmo
Trudie, I don't know, but if true, it's a really good thought! Thank you for offering the possibility that KK may be locked up even as we speak.

IMO, KK is due for a wardrobe update. I hear green striped patterns and orange jumpsuits in breathable fabrics are going to be de rigeur this spring.

PF being the fashion forward dude that he is already got in ahead of the upcoming season's styling trends.

Last edited:
Yes, look up E.L.P.O. website- shows he completed their basic
training to trim/shoe using their particular method.

This is beating a dead horse, imo. I think it was established in thread 3 that yes, yes, P is in fact a blacksmith/farrier known to raise & train dogs & even sold horses, from time to time. Jmo

Yes, look up E.L.P.O. website- shows he completed their basic
training to trim/shoe using their particular method.
Yes, but does he actually DO it for other people? I only see one other person in Florrisant who is listed as a farrier. Others are shown in the area, but these seem to all be people who have legitimate businesses. He's not listed in the directories that I found.
I have a degree and have had related jobs, but I don't do that now. I have training in several areas but I don't work in those fields now. Just because he passed classes doesn't mean he's actually working in that field.

Last edited:
Yes, but does he actually DO it for other people? I only see one other person in Florrisant who is listed as a farrier. Others are shown in the area, but these seem to all be people who have legitimate businesses. He's not listed in the directories that I found.

IMO, we wouldn't know unless clients of his come forward. There was the donkey/burro guy interviewed somewhere in the previous threads, and the woman who said he briefly worked on her horse(s?). It's between him and the IRS how much income from farrier work he claims. Unless any further paperwork is released, we're not left with much to talk about. Just because he's not listed online somewhere, it doesn't mean he's not working as a farrier, IMO.

Edit for spelling

Last edited:
Yes

Yes absolutely big bucks. That was the high end for a farrier. A normal shoeing would cost $125 every 6-8 weeks depending on weather/growth.

Somewhat OT:
A question I have always wondered about.

Why do horses need to be shoed so often?

I love horses but have no idea how the shoing part works. I do know how to ride them pretty well and once went on a crazy full gallop wild ride through open terrain which was a total blast. The horses knew the area we were in and took us under low hanging branches trying to scrape us off. :) We had to bend down and hug their necks to keep from having our heads taken off. LOL Smart horses they were. :)

Last edited:
IMO, we wouldn't know unless clients of his come forward. There was the donkey/burro guy interviewed somewhere in the previous threads, and the woman who said he briefly worked on her horse(s?). It's between him and the IRS how much income from farriers work he claims. Unless any further paperwork is released, we're not left with much to talk about. Just because he's not listed online somewhere, it doesn't mean he's not working as a farrier, imo
And just because he's taken classes and cares for his own horses, does some charity work and occasionally works on a friend's horse doesn't mean he is a farrier either.

Somewhat OT:

I love horses but have no idea how the shoing part works. I do know how to ride them pretty well and once went on a crazy full gallop wild ride through open terrain which was a total blast. The horses knew the area we were in and took us under low hanging branches trying to scrape us off. :) We had to bend down and hug their necks to keep from having our heads taken off. LOL Smart horses they were. :)

Their hooves are constantly growing, so they need to be trimmed and then re-shod, or for folks who have their horses go barefoot, trimmed. They need to be kept at specific angles for hoof and leg health, performance, etc.

All MOO, not an expert just someone who writes the check to the farrier every six weeks, or more, if the horse throws a shoe.

I have a degree and have had related jobs, but I don't do that now. I have training in several areas but I don't work in those fields now. Just because he passed classes doesn't mean he's actually working in that field.
He was notifying horshoeing clients of his new phone number the evening before he was arrested. Give it a break, already.
Day Before He Was Arrested in Case of Missing Fiancée, What Colorado Dad Told a Client

Their hooves are constantly growing, so they need to be trimmed and then re-shod, or for folks who have their horses go barefoot, trimmed. They need to be kept at specific angles for hoof and leg health, performance, etc.

All MOO, not an expert just someone who writes the check to the farrier every six weeks, or more, if the horse throws a shoe.

Oh wow...thanks. I think I understand now. It sounds like the hoof is basically like our fingernails.

A
Somewhat OT:

Think about it like your hair or your nails. Warm weather will cause the hooves to grow more. Certain feed will cause hooves to grow. Hhorses are shod is for health/comfort and some for competition. Horses feet that are not shod or at least trimmed can cause lameness and eventual breakdown of their body. Hope this helps.

Hatfield- because their feet grow and if left too long, hoof wall
gets weaker and shoes get thrown off. Not all horses require
shoes- depends on how tough feet are and terrain they're ridden on.
In my opinion PF was not a full time farrier. If he were we would have heard from more of his regular customers, instead we
heard about an ex-customer who would no longer hire him and
someone looking out for some wild donkeys.
Busy, full time farriers would not have the time or energy to
take on a bunch of wild donkeys. At least none of the dozen
farriers that I know.

Bumping this post from earlier thread.

Expert: No-body murder cases can be tried successfully

“The interesting thing about no-body cases is, yes, they are very difficult to prosecute. But when they do go to trial, the conviction rate is actually quite high. Right now, it’s running at about 88 percent,” said Tad DiBiase, who successfully prosecuted a no-body murder case tried in Washington, D.C., in January 2006 when he worked as an Assistant U.S. Attorney. “So that seems very counter-intuitive because they’re really difficult to do.”
[...]
“There are two reasons why the conviction rate is still pretty high in these cases. No. 1, prosecutors are only going to take the tough cases to trial; they’re not going to take a shaky missing persons case to trial,” DiBiase said. “And the second thing is, about 50-51 percent of no-body cases are actually domestic cases.

“So, typically, husband kills wife, boyfriend kills girlfriend, parent kills child; there’s usually a pre-existing relationship between the two people. The suspect becomes very obvious in those cases, though it doesn’t always mean it’s that person.”
[...]
DiBiase said a body is the most critical piece of evidence in a murder case, but prosecutors can present other evidence to get a conviction.

“The body gives you how the murder happened -- Was it a poisoning? Was it a shooting? Was it a strangling? It typically gives you when it happened and it also can tell you where the murder happened,” DiBiase said.

The main way in which no-body cases are made are through what DiBiase calls the three legs of a stool.

The first leg, he said, is some type of forensic evidence such as DNA or blood.

“It can also be trace evidence. It can be hair or fiber, maybe fingerprints. Some type of scientific evidence is leg No. 1,” DiBiase said.

Leg No. 2 is a confession to friends or family. And leg No. 3 is a confession to police.

“Most no-body cases are made with that kind of evidence,” DiBiase said. “Some only have one leg. The case I tried had all three. And some have none of them and those are the toughest cases. You generally don’t have eyewitnesses. They’re not filmed or anything or that type of stuff. You generally have one of those types of things.”
Great post. Thank you.

This is beating a dead horse, imo. I think it was established in thread 3 that yes, yes, P is in fact a blacksmith/farrier known to raise & train dogs & even sold horses, from time to time. Jmo

BBM:

True, but considering we're talking about PF here, it's really not surprising.

PF likes to beat horses, dead or alive, doesn't really matter to him.

I mean, at least we're only doing it proverbially, sans rasps!

JMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members