CO CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jenna Middaugh on Twitter
BREAKING: Teller County Sheriff’s Office confirms authorities are searching the home of Kelsey Berreth’s fiancé, Patrick Frazee. Officials say the search could take up to 3 days. Berreth hasn’t been seen since Thanksgiving & Frazee is the last person to have seen her @KKTV11News
Whoa up to 3 days! Where's the baby?

BREAKING: Law enforcement officers just showed up to execute a search warrant at the home of Patrick Frazee, the fiancée police say was last to see missing mom #KelseyBerreth before she vanished on Thanksgiving. More to come. @ABC

And so it begins. Not getting much work done today. This is awesome news!

"Search Warrants" in Colorado
Snipped
2. How do the police get a search warrant?
Law enforcement officers have to get a valid search warrant before they can execute a search of your property without your consent. This means going to a judge for an order to authorize the search. The police have to convince the judge that they have "probable cause" to believe that there is evidence of criminal activity at the location to be searched.

The police may present before the judge sworn statements, witness statements, statements from police informants, or other evidence. Search warrants generally have to specify the location they are searching, and the specific type of evidence they are looking for. Law enforcement searches may be limited to the areas specified in the warrant.
Yes, thank you. This can't be emphasized enough. Judges don't just sign orders without evidence--especially search warrants. The judge is tasked with ensuring nobody's Fourth Amendment constitutional rights are violated.

Authorities are searching home of Kelsey Berreth's fiancée
Teller County, Colo. (KKTV) - 11 News confirms authorities are searching the home of Kelsey Berreth's fiancée. They are executing a search warrant. The Teller County Sheriff's office says the search could last three days. Patrick Frazee was the last known person to see Berreth, according to Woodland Park Police Chief Miles DeYoung.

Police searching home of Kelsey Berreth's fiancé in connection with her disappearance
Law enforcement officers are executing a search warrant at the home of Patrick Frazee, the fiancé of a Woodland Park woman who has been missing since Thanksgiving.

Investigators showed up at Frazee's property near Florissant Friday morning.

Police said Frazee is cooperating with the investigation.

Three days? I bet they are searching the land too :(

To me this is so very obviously a situation where someone close to her made her disappear. There is nothing to suggest otherwise. She appeared to be a devoted mom of a baby, a woman who was literally planning things to cook on Tgiving and had made some cinnamon rolls just that day.

Logically she didn't just walk away. Her cars are there, she didn't pack for anything. A person close to her puts themself as the last person to see her. It's a straightforward path that something happened and she was 'disappeared' by the person who last saw her.

The rest of it is detectives finding the evidence, hopefully finding Kelsey, developing forensic and digital evidence, and eventually making an arrest.
Could not agree more. They will eventually get to the truth and it takes time.

When does he become a POI - when LE names him? If executing a search warrant on the property he resides on doesn't mean he is a POI, what does it mean I wonder.
LE is very careful, because of the Richard Jewell case in 1996, to not "name" someone a POI or suspect without evidence linking them to the case. Some LE departments say nothing about having a POI or suspect until they actually make an arrest. You can look up the history of the Jewell case as that was the pivotal case on this issue. Doesn't mean they don't actually have someone in their crosshairs, and they often do, but they're not going to publicly say it unless they have some evidence.

While I have always maintained this was a likely outcome, I wanted to stay open minded given the little info we have.

At this point, however, it seems safe to guess that LE’s search of his phone did not sufficiently clear the fiancé.

It has not been released whether they asked for permission to search the property, butI recognize the mother would be the one who would have to agree to it without a search warrant. Sometimes people don’t want LE on their property for other reasons—such as fear they’ll discover an illegal drug or unregistered rifle etc. so although I am optimistic, I am a bit cautious. With the Delphi girls, the search warrant on a nearby property owner didn’t turn up any connection to the case despite everyone thinking it would.

I also think we might be able to ask Tricia for permission to consider the fiancé a POI now.

That would be my interpretation. This seems pretty significant. Seems the cooperation has stopped. Just not sure why it took sooo long for LE to get a warrant.

LE is very careful, because of the Richard Jewell case in 1996, to not "name" someone a POI or suspect without evidence linking them to the case. Some LE departments say nothing about having a POI or suspect until they actually make an arrest. You can look up the history of the Jewell case as that was the pivotal case on this issue. Doesn't mean they don't actually have someone in their crosshairs, and they often do, but they're not going to publicly say it unless they have some evidence.
Yes, Even with CW they did not name him until he was arrested. Perhaps they were able to dig out deleted info from PF's phone that triggered this.

Last edited:
I think it is safe to say that if they are using drones, they will have sensitive thermal imaging capability. I wonder if they have previously been in the air over the ranch, particularly at night when temperature gradients are more revealing. Is that even legal without a search warrant? I would think so.

There is a chance the search will be going to a known and precise location. I hope that is not the case.

Carol McKinley on Twitter

EXCLUSIVE: law enforcement cutting the locks on ranch where #KelseyBerreth fiancée lives with their daughter. Search warrant served this morning. ⁦@ABCWorldNews⁩ ⁦@Clayton_Sandell

DuY3PTdVsAABsKT.jpg

Clayton Sandell on Twitter

BREAKING: Law enforcement officers just showed up to execute a search warrant at the home of Patrick Frazee, the fiancée police say was last to see missing mom #KelseyBerreth before she vanished on Thanksgiving. More to come. @ABC

DuY0YSAUUAAroiJ.jpg

Whoa. Does it mean anything that they had to cut the lock? If they had a warrant wouldn't the property owner usually go and unlock the gates to give access rather than have LE to break in? Perhaps the person with keys is being detained elsewhere?

Officers search home of Kelsey Berreth's fiancé
FLORISSANT, Colo. - ABC News reports that a search warrant is being executed at Kelsey Berreth's fiancé's home.

According to ABC News Correspondent, Clayton Sandell, an FBI Evidence Response Team is on the scene helping with the operation.

Woodland Park Police and the Colorado Bureau of Investigations are still working on the case, and according to the attorney statement, Frazee has been a part of the investigation.

Yes, thank you. This can't be emphasized enough. Judges don't just sign orders without evidence--especially search warrants. The judge is tasked with ensuring nobody's Fourth Amendment constitutional rights are violated.
Probable cause. Doesn't mean they have found evidence yet, but based on the SO's statements and proximity to the victim, along with being the last person known to be with the missing person, that provides probable cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amakur