CO CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's common for a potential crime scene to be cleaned up, but they have to look. It's part of doing a thorough investigation and yes, that means searching home(s)/property and anything to aid in the investigation. As long as it's a legal search and seizure, which having a properly written and executed search warrant will ensure. LE doesn't pre-announce they're going to execute a search warrant. The element of surprise is important. They show up and execute it right then and there. If that means cutting through a lock to get to the property, then that's what they do. It's legal to do so.

I would think it would be too late for thermal imaging to be very helpful, no? I caveat that with I am not really familiar with the capability
I think thermal searches would only locate a live person or a freshly deceased body. But I believe that bodies give off gases as they decompose which may be picked up by a different type of sensor or even dogs. (Not an expert.)

Just an FYI, I did a search to see if it's possible to ping your phone from a remote location. For instance, I'm in NY city, can I send a message and have the phone ping from let's say, Wyoming? Apparently, it's not uncommon for phones to ping from a tower that's farther away if there's a lot of traffic on the closer tower, but that's within a 30 mile radius. However, they did mention one case where a man who lived in Palo Alto called someone on his cell phone and it pinged in Palo Alto, but then 9 mins later he made another cell phone call and it pinged from Maui (see State of CA v Bulos Zumot) "The defendant’s cell tower records showed an incoming call placing the defendant near a tower in Lahaina, Maui, and within nine minutes of that call, a previous call placed the defendant in Palo Alto. Because of this “flaw” in AT&T’s system, by all rights, the defendant received the first call from a tower on the island of Maui, some 3,000 miles away." So although her phone pinged in Idaho, I'd wonder if the phone was actually there.
What Your Cell Phone Can’t Tell the Police

Catching up.
Yup. It sounds like they want to search the property which has lots of acreage.

Prayers for family and friends of Kelsey and prayers for us WS'ers here too because we all care about her too, otherwise we would not be here.

I know some in the public domain can never understand how we can begin to care and have very strong feelings for people we never met but all they need to do is give us hankies for the real tears we shed for some of the people in our WS cases and they will begin to realize our emotional investments.

Thanks to everyone for sharing about this case. Lets hope and pray there is better news in the days to come than what things appear to be currently.

Well said @Hatfield - this is progress in finding answers but it's also most likely the worst outcome for Kelsey and her family. Sad indeed.

Agree here. I don’t think they need extensive evidence for probable cause given the facts as they stand.
You wouldn't necessarily have any physical evidence, let alone extensive evidence, without doing a search and you cannot do a thorough search (and seizure of anything of interest) without getting the proper legal permission to do so. Even searches of cell phones, computers, etc are all done through search warrants signed by a judge.

Officers search home of Kelsey Berreth's fiancé
FLORISSANT, Colo. - ABC News reports that a search warrant is being executed at Kelsey Berreth's fiancé's home.

According to ABC News Correspondent, Clayton Sandell, an FBI Evidence Response Team is on the scene helping with the operation.

Woodland Park Police and the Colorado Bureau of Investigations are still working on the case, and according to the attorney statement, Frazee has been a part of the investigation.
Prayers to the Berreth family.

So there are some leaks in LE - good to know. For awhile I thought differently. Unless of course, they announced they were coming to the press or the press hung out at the courtroom of the Judge who handles search warrants.

I think the press has been camping out at his property. Is this the same gate where PF rudely told the reporter "this is private property, this is a private road" as he closed the gate?

You wouldn't necessarily have any physical evidence, let alone extensive evidence, without doing a search and you cannot do a thorough search (and seizure of anything of interest) without getting the proper legal permission to do so. Even searches of cell phones, computers, etc are all done through search warrants signed by a judge.

I wonder if they got one for his phone, since he gave consent to search it

While I have always maintained this was a likely outcome, I wanted to stay open minded given the little info we have.

At this point, however, it seems safe to guess that LE’s search of his phone did not sufficiently clear the fiancé.

It has not been released whether they asked for permission to search the property, butI recognize the mother would be the one who would have to agree to it without a search warrant. Sometimes people don’t want LE on their property for other reasons—such as fear they’ll discover an illegal drug or unregistered rifle etc. so although I am optimistic, I am a bit cautious. With the Delphi girls, the search warrant on a nearby property owner didn’t turn up any connection to the case despite everyone thinking it would.

I also think we might be able to ask Tricia for permission to consider the fiancé a POI now.

I'm hopeful that LE will find something. I have a feeling Kelsey is somewhere between Woodland and Idaho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState