CO CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - #52 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave -- you sure took a lot of liberty from RMCF website to specifically post to me:

The cell phone expert you are describing is who the WPPD employed for advice, not only on the cell data but on the terminology to use in the data search warrants. He's right there on top of the case, at their side every step of the way. IMO

Mark Pfoff never stated to King5 news (which was the article linked) that WPPD employed him for advice. King 5 reported nothing that you allege about Pfoff or his firm.

Really don't understand the apparent mission of a few to discredit any news and/or professionals citing cell phone analytics. Not cool.

<modsnipped quoted post>
Why would a guy consulting on a case, use the word “if?”

This article was dated December 18. The long warrant that included the data (you cited it upthread), was dated December 14.

It doesn’t make sense for him to imply that he is not involved, after he allegedly became involved (as you indicate).

Pfoff said if he was working the case, he would hone in on cell phone records, behaviors and more.

ETA: FBI Special Agent Kevin Hoyland of the Cellular Analysis Survey Team, analyzed the phone data.

Clearly, Mark Pfoff has nothing to do with this. I don’t know what “quote-worthy unique phrases” you are seeing.

https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/04th_Judicial_District/Teller/caseofinterest/2018CR330/002/18-111 Search Warrant.pdf

Cell phone data is key to cracking Berreth case, expert says

Attachments

• B634CA08-43C1-45B1-81B8-2C6073752AB3.jpeg
    B634CA08-43C1-45B1-81B8-2C6073752AB3.jpeg
    27.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited by a moderator:

This article was dated December 18. The long warrant that included the data (you cited it upthread), was dated December 14.

It doesn’t make sense for him to imply that he is not involved, after he allegedly became involved (as you indicate).

Pfoff said if he was working the case, he would hone in on cell phone records, behaviors and more.

ETA: FBI Special Agent Kevin Hoyland of the Cellular Analysis Survey Team, analyzed the phone data.

Clearly, Mark Pfoff has nothing to do with this. I don’t know what “quote-worthy unique phrases” you are seeing.

https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/04th_Judicial_District/Teller/caseofinterest/2018CR330/002/18-111 Search Warrant.pdf

And I highly doubt if he was involved he would be openly talking to the news media.....MOO

Last edited:

RSBM:

This FBI agent also worked on the Watts case.

Attachments

• D6F48082-20E1-4C55-B121-D489B6255E63.jpeg
    D6F48082-20E1-4C55-B121-D489B6255E63.jpeg
    43.3 KB · Views: 8

So what you are saying is the prosecution is relying on a highly trained FBI Special Agent of the Cellular Analysis Survey Team.

Ok gotcha; he should know how to do some fancy schmancy calculations with numbers.

So what you are saying is the prosecution is relying on a highly trained FBI Special Agent of the Cellular Analysis Survey Team.

Ok gotcha; he should know how to do some fancy schmancy calculations with numbers.
Ha! Yes. A man whose sole job, is to analyze this type of thing.

I assume he is highly qualified.

Nothing to see here...

Kevin P. Hoyland was mentioned in news articles prior to to 2016 as an Agent of the of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) in Denver, but October 15, 2016 he signed the arrest affidavit for the suspect in the Nederland bombing, a suspected terrorist incident, as Kevin P. Hoiland, Special Agent, FBI. He is now assigned to the FBI main office in Washington DC.
In the case we are discussing, Commander Chris Adams wrote this:
“Your affiant has participated in other law enforcement investigations, and has relied on other investigators with more investigative training and experience, including but not limited to Special Agent Andrew Cohen, Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Special Agent Kevin Hoyland, FBI, and Agent Greg Slater, Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI).”
Arrest Warrant, Attachment A, Page 1, Item 1
There has never been any question from me that the WPPD received help from the FBI. I have stated in other posts that I knew the FBI participated with forensic searches, direct on-site investigation in Idaho, and generated the eleven ping diagrams. I originally stated my opinion that can be summarized as: Mark Pfoff was one of the "others" that Commander Adams stated his assistance was not limited to. In a second post, I stated that it was my strong opinion. It is still my strong opinion.

https://www.courts.state.co.us/user...lication and Affidavit for Arrest Warrant.pdf
Suspect arrested in Nederland bombing

I get your point but that is absolutely not all it will mean in practical terms. In practical terms it means she will lose her career. She will not be hired anywhere as a nurse.

It also means her reputation will be forever stained.

It could mean loss of her kids to her ex.

That's significant when you are a faded ex rodeo queen without what's necessary to find someone with money willing to take care of you financially for life.

Is it enough? No. But if it leads to the conviction of the actual murderer, it's the best justice that we are able to obtain for Kelsey.
KK will certainly experience some repercussions for her reprehensible behaviour, but I remind myself that Karla Holmolka went on to marry her attorney's brother, move to an island somewhere, have three kids and then set up house in Montreal, not to mention, began volunteering at the school. Unbelievable! Makes me shiver. Thankfully someone caught on and she was exposed. I fear some other nut case will do the same for KK. I don't get it but there you have it. The cray crays always find each other.

Kevin P. Hoyland was mentioned in news articles prior to to 2016 as an Agent of the of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) in Denver, but October 15, 2016 he signed the arrest affidavit for the suspect in the Nederland bombing, a suspected terrorist incident, as Kevin P. Hoiland, Special Agent, FBI. He is now assigned to the FBI main office in Washington DC.
In the case we are discussing, Commander Chris Adams wrote this:
“Your affiant has participated in other law enforcement investigations, and has relied on other investigators with more investigative training and experience, including but not limited to Special Agent Andrew Cohen, Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Special Agent Kevin Hoyland, FBI, and Agent Greg Slater, Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI).”
Arrest Warrant, Attachment A, Page 1, Item 1
There has never been any question from me that the WPPD received help from the FBI. I have stated in other posts that I knew the FBI participated with forensic searches, direct on-site investigation in Idaho, and generated the eleven ping diagrams. I originally stated my opinion that can be summarized as: Mark Pfoff was one of the "others" that Commander Adams stated his assistance was not limited to. In a second post, I stated that it was my strong opinion. It is still my strong opinion.

https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/04th_Judicial_District/Teller/caseofinterest/2018CR330/Application and Affidavit for Arrest Warrant.pdf
Suspect arrested in Nederland bombing

I’ve never heard of prosecution consultants being allowed to discuss the investigation with the media, before trial.

Not only that, but the language he used in that interview, flies in the face of the idea he is involved (he said “if I was working the case”).

The warrants specifically cite Hoyland, and his analysis of the cell tower data.

Pfoff is never mentioned, nor would his expertise be necessary.

This is merely a guess on your part, one without any proof.

Ha! Yes. A man whose sole job, is to analyze this type of thing.

I assume he is highly qualified.

Nothing to see here...
A man who knew his stuff well enough to help LE build a case and arrest the accused, keeping him locked up without bail?

One who had enough data to "encourage" a rodeo queen to spill her guts (for all practical purposes) and accept a plea deal?

Wow.

I am posting this diagram to show exactly how PF and KB’s phones might be expected to ping, while traveling from one tower quadrant to another. It is three diagrams from the link below, pasted onto a single map. The breaks run top to bottom directly through the red bubbles depicting the Florissant tower (on the left) and the Divide Tower (in the center).
Over on the right is the Woodland Park Tower, which has two quadrants of coverage. LE defines the one which includes all of Woodland Park city and stretches down Ute Pass to Green Mountain Falls as “the northeast facing sector”. The smaller coverage area, blankets Highway 24 westward toward Divide. The theoretical boundary between Verizon Woodland Park tower’s two sectors crosses Highway 24 at 38°58'53.16"N, 105° 4'8.52"W; which is where Trout Creek Road crosses Highway 24. The switch from one tower antenna to the other is not instantaneous, and in fact may not happen at all at high speed and short distances, but it is something that does happen quite often, and should be looked for. When LE states that PF’s phone left the area of the Woodland Park tower that it had been functioning on, headed west but provides no data for a transfer; the most likely possibility is that the coverage was dropped on the first antenna as his pickup passed in close proximity to the Trout Creek Road crossing and did not successfully transfer to the next antenna before detecting the Divide tower coverage. The subsequent “ping” on the Divide tower confirms that to be the most likely scenario, and starts to develop confirmation of PF’s direction of travel, and to give an idea of his rate of travel.
As you follow the line of Highway 24 westward, notice that the Divide coverage and the Florissant coverage overlap in the area that PF’s truck was traveling into. The highest probability is that PF’s phone detected the stronger signal of the Florissant tower to initiate the ping and transfer. That ping was on the east facing antenna of the Florissant tower. Next, PF’s as PF’s truck was entering Florissant, it entered the coverage of the west facing coverage of the same tower, but did not make a transfer. Why? Because PF was attempting to call KKL at that time, and the initiation of a ping would have resulted in a dropped call. In fact, the call did not go through, but the problem was that KKL’s phone did not answer. By the time PF gave up or the attempt was terminated by Verizon, he was standing at his gate, which is covered by the west facing Florissant antenna and not overlapped by it’s west one. That spot is, however, overlapped by the COMNET / Four Corners tower in Lake George, which is not shown in this diagram. The LE description that there was no more phone activity until much later, when PF’s phone reappeared south of Florissant, could mean that his phone was turned off for a while, or it could mean that it was connected to that Tower in Lake George, and out of LE’s scope of investigation.
So, LE has traced PF’s phone from Woodland Park to his gate. KB’s phone appears with a single ping, on the Florissant tower east facing antenna on Highway 24 very near the western edge of that antenna’s coverage. Chances are greatest that it pinged because it just entered coverage, in one of two ways:
1. The phone was on, and entered by traveling eastward on Highway 24 while connected to the Lake George tower, or
2. The phone was turned on (and thus entering tower coverage) in that dark, twisty mountain section. Now, one has to consider that it could have been traveling eastward, and the person turning it on, who would be the killer or an accomplice; was operating at a slower speed. Under those conditions, using a cell phone would certainly be unwise and probably illegal, but would either matter? The other choice is to assume that the phones were traveling together in PF’s truck, which had apparently just slammed the accelerator to go from average safe speed for the trip to suicidal 90 mph.
The map sections of my diagram were printed from this website, while the logic IMO:
Verizon (United States of America) Cell Tower Map

Attachments

• VERIZON 5G LTE 002.jpg
    VERIZON 5G LTE 002.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 28
...And one person connects the events and people together. How does the defense get around that?

Just open for ideas. Cause if not PF, then who helped KK?

I won’t be surprised to see the defense push for reasonable doubt based on the murder being carried out entirely by KK, with PF attempting to reverse roles, claiming that he helped KK after the fact.

For the first time in weeks, there has been vigorous, but healthy dialogue being posted on this thread. The cdiscussion has been heated, but has not had the nasty tone that was prevalent in previous weeks........that's good! The thread hasn't been shut down for cleanup yet.......that's great!
Now, it is my understanding that the Verizon system, in general, sends out a blanket signal periodically, which could be compared to broadcasting "I'm here, if anybody needs me." Let's say that the person in possession of KB's phone wants to know what time it is, and doesn't wear a watch because they can always check the time on their phone. So they swipe KB's phone to see the time. The phone wakes up, and broadcasts a message similar to " This is KB's phone. I just woke up and have no idea where I am. Is there a tower available for me to hook up with?" Then a tower answers, with a message something like "Welcome KB's phone, I hear you, and am locking you in on my northeast facing antenna. It's going to take me exactly sixty seconds to do the busy work, during which time you will get those mysterious dropped calls and dead air that are so fristrating, then you're good to go for the next six hours. If I lose you before then, or you wander on over into the field of my other antennae, I'll ping you again, and there will be that darn one minute period again before you can continue." In reading through LE's data, you can pretty well identify the pings that are of this "sign on" type.
Again, it is only my understanding, but the Verizon system will also go through this process when the phone attempts to make a call from a spot that has very weak reception. For example, if you walk in a WalMart super store, they have a small circle of jammed cellular waves centered on the cell phone sales desk back in electronics. Only the vendor that pays to set up a kiosk near that sales desk can co nnect to anything. I can't remember who that is, but it's not Verizon. When a person starts circling the checkstand area trying to decide whether to wait for a real checker or risk the self-check, the phone may appear to the Verizon tower to be just entering it's space, and initiate a ping. If the phone user actually tries to make a call, the ping will be initiated and the call will not go through during that sixty seconds of ping terror.
With that explained, the best way to describe a Verizon ping is........"It's a ping, they don't get fancy on Verizon. Take it for what it is."
So.....in examing the data a few things are true, that were not explained well by LE:

First, the pings can be measured in distance from the tower up to the hundred of a mile, or 52.6 feet. A car motoring along at 60 mph has a rate of travel of a mile a minute, or 88 feet per second. so if two phones are traveling along in a shoebox, and one tries to call the other, we would most likely see the calling phone ping the tower, and then the called phone pinging. at 60 mph, every minute of time lapse between the first ping and the second would represent a mile of travel in the shoebox. When the distance is given in hundreths of a mile, and the time is stated in seconds, the position and rate of travel can be calculated to a very fine margin of error.
2. Second, if you examine the final diagram, on Page 19 of SW 18-118 Attachment A, you will see that there are a whole lot more ping rings than the other ten diagrams have. There are at least 28, but could be 33. If you have looked up the drive from KB's house to the Walmart parking lot in Jerome, and on to the Malad Canyon overlook, it's a whole lot of not much. In my opinion, that countryside resembles BFE just as much, if not more, than the drive from Woodland Park to Nash ranch barn. Those minimum 28 pings were logged in just 3 hours and 17 minutes on November 25, 2018. There are pings from five separate towers, 3 of which are Verizon, and one each of other providers. The data a phenomenally accurate. LE admits they do not have that kind of normal data for the six diagrams that are provided to show the two phones traveling together. In fact, when they show three pings, the data is only 3/28ths, or 11% of what data is commonly produced.
3. Tower to phone distances are not directional. which is why they are represented on the map as arcs. What that arc represents is literally that distance from the tower antenna drawn as a complete circle and then trimmed back to the edges of a directional coverage. It is an absolute fact that the phone has to be located somewhere along that arc at the time stated. The second phone, pinging at the later time, is the second arc. If two phones are traveling together in shoebox and both are swiped awake at the same time, the chart could very well end up having only one arc, because they would both be in the same distance from the same tower. In reality, that would be extremely rare. The odds are than being in a moving vehicle and minor difference between two cell phones and hitting two slightly diffferent spots on the smae antenna, or even a bird flying through the line of distance of one and not the other, would throw that slightly off and the phone's would be a minite, or two minutes, apart. TGhere would be two concentric rings, trimmed to two parallel arcs on the diagram. LE's statement that two arcs intersecting on one towers vicinity is where the two phones were when they pinged is a false assumption. It is possible that it COULD BE CORRECT when one phone is poinging off one tower, and the other is pinging off a second tower; but that isn''t a conclusion. The point at which two arcs intersect, would only be one of hundreds of possibile locations along either arc.
4. LE's premise, in all diagrams, is that the phones are moving in a vehicle, which travel on roads, which are very definite lines on a map. Where a road that the phone might reasonably have been expected to travel on, and a ping arc intersect, id the lost likely, of the hundreds of possible spots along the arc, where that phone was. In Sandy's calculation, there is only one road that instersects the arcs, which is Highway 24. the point at which eaxch phone arc crosses Hwy 24 is where that phone was at that moment.
If the same phone rings twice, then the distance between the two places where the arcs cross Hwy 24 represent where phone was, and where the phone was again, later. The difference in time can be used to calculate the rate of travel, and the direction of trhe direction of travel can be affirmed by simply following the path down Hwy 24 from A to B.
LE did that, and determined that PF's phone was traveling from the direction of Woodland Park, IN THE DIRECTION of his ranchette. It is impossible to say that for KB's phone, because they only have one ping arc to intersect Highway 24 with. Calculating the speed and distance in which it does nothing is impossible. Calculating anything for KB's phone is impossible, except that the ping proves the phone was on Highway 24 at the place where the arc crosses at the time stated.

LE states that the two phones had to be moving in the same direction, but have no proof at all to back it up. So, what happens if you just look at the ativity of PF's phone? It shows him leaving Woodland Park and driving about the speed limit for the entire trip, and stopping at his front gate while he attempted to call KKL and it was dropped. Why was tghe call dropped? It couldn't have been for poor coverage, because that's where the lawmen searching his place staged all of their calls from. KKL must have had her phone turned off, wherever she was.

Back to KB's phone, SandyQLS said PF would have had to have been traveling 90 mph, which is impossible on that stretch of road. I said I agreed, and further stated that KB's phone could just have likely been moving in the opposite direction, back towards Woodland Park. That's just simple logic. It had to be coming or going. There's only two lanes on the highway. It was 50-50 odds, until SandyQLS showed us that one was impossible.
So, I admit I was a bit vague in stating my opinion, which is that that KB's phone was moving in the opposite direction of PF's.
IMO
https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/04th_Judicial_District/Teller/caseofinterest/2018CR330/002/18-118 Search Warrant.pdf
Thank you very much for taking the time to explain all of this. It helps make things easier to understand.

No, I do not know if another cell phone was in the area. In the court documents, it shows that LE did not request any information about KKL's phone until after PF was arrested, nearly a month beyond Nov. 22nd. By then,that information might not even have been available.
My own personal suspicion is that the person who had KB's phone on the 22nd, 23rd and 24th was staying in Lake George, probably at commercial lodging. The community of Lake George is entirely covered by a single COMNET/Four Corners tower that LE never got any data for. That tower also provides duplicate 5G LTE coverage for the entire Florissant area. I think data from that tower would have at least confirmed the direction of KB's phone travel.
IMO
BBM: This is another reason that I am not 100% convinced that KK was absolutely no where near KB's residence or PF's residence the day the murder was believed to have taken place (on the 22nd).

LE must feel 100% confident that they know where KK was on Thanksgiving Day.

That said, I have a different reason for being sure KK wasn't there.

Once PF found out that KK had 'confessed' to LE, he knew he had nothing to lose. If he thought there was a chance in heck of blaming KK for the murder, that was the time to tell that story. I can't believe he would sit on a story like that until trial - certainly not while he's being held without bail.

I'm very curious about RS's whereabouts, starting with late Thanksgiving evening. IIRC, PF headed in his direction three days in a row, but I think RS lives in a cellphone 'black hole'. I think it's possible PF told him something Thanksgiving evening.

Florissant Fire Protection District
November 24, 2018 ·
TCSO: Due to high winds, burn restrictions are in effect until further notice. No open burning.

1 suspect pleads guilty to starting High Chateau Fire in Teller County

Posted: Nov 27, 2018 10:27 AM MST

"Teller County is still under a Stage III fire ban due to dry and windy conditions. No open fires of any type are allowed in unincorporated areas of Teller County."

Nothing like drawing attention to yourself by burning a body during a burn ban. My opinion only tysm.

LE must feel 100% confident that they know where KK was on Thanksgiving Day.

That said, I have a different reason for being sure KK wasn't there.

Once PF found out that KK had 'confessed' to LE, he knew he had nothing to lose. If he thought there was a chance in heck of blaming KK for the murder, that was the time to tell that story. I can't believe he would sit on a story like that until trial - certainly not while he's being held without bail.

I'm very curious about RS's whereabouts, starting with late Thanksgiving evening. IIRC, PF headed in his direction three days in a row, but I think RS lives in a cellphone 'black hole'. I think it's possible PF told him something Thanksgiving evening.

Yes.........The phone expertise seems to be that PF's and KB's phones disappeared off the cellular map, headed in the direction of RS's. In fact, it didn't disappear off the cell coverage, but moved into COMMNET / Four Corners 5G LTE coverage that LE has no records for. What is really interesting is that just before the turnoff toward Slagle's is the turnoff toward CC and PC's horse ranch, which is in a true dead area of Verizon's Cripple Creel tower coverage, about the same distance from the turnoffs, but in the oppsite direction, as RS's horse ranch. However, the road goes straight to the trunoff to the Nash Ranch red barn, as well, which is covered by the South Twin Mountain Verizon tower KB's phone pinged off all three dates, but PF's never did. We know that CC and PC are going to testify that PF spent the day of the 23rd with them at their horse ranch, as they have repeatedly told news people this. RS has been mum, of course, but he is normally a very talkative man, so I expect he will have a pretty lengthy description of his interactions with PF during those three days. His wife has been mum, but we know she was interviewed separately from RS in the Woodland Park PD on December 10th. Of course, we already know that KKL is going to testify that PF went straight to Nash ranch.
IMO

I remember when following the Heather Elvis case (who does have a thread here on Websleuths) that at trial there was lots of testimony about cell phone information.

Just as an example, below is a link where it is talked about and the article does mention a few things that I found very informative....

Here is where Heather Elvis’ cell phone was tracked the morning she went missing

BBM from the above article:

There is a final record at the Peachtree Landing,” said Aaron Edens, a cellphone-tracking expert, who testified on Day 4 of a trial related to Elvis’ disappearance.

To this point, the trial has been mundane presenting of evidence, including cellphone data, people who knew Tammy and Elvis and experts.

Edens said around 1:15 a.m. on Dec. 18, 2013, Elvis’ phone was tracked near her home until 2:31 a.m. The tracking data came from Google information and can identify locations to a near specific spot.

There was an additional tracking point of the cellphone about 15 minutes later, at the Waccamaw Wildlife Refuge. But, Edens said he believes that was a mistaken location taken by tower data and not by GPS like the other readings.

There were no more readings from Elvis’ phone, which Edens said could be caused by the device being turned off, the battery dying or another cause.

Edens said he couldn’t run Google tracking information for Sidney and Tammy Moorer on the morning in question because their Google accounts were not active.

JMO, but it seems as if the Google accounts for Sidney and Tammy would have been active that LE/investigators could have had helpful Google tracking information according to the link/statements above. Hasn't it been said in KB's case, that KK's Google account was deactivated (verbatim) ??

But I also noticed in the article linked above, that tracking data can identify locations to a "near" specific spot.

And one also has to wonder about the "mistaken location taken by tower data and not by GPS like the other readings" as noted in the article above.

Just thought I'd throw this out there as it does give some perspective into how the cell phone data does OR does not provide helpful information in other similar cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kels1221