CO CO - Kelsie Schelling, 21, pregnant, Pueblo, 4 Feb 2013 *Arrest* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Former jail inmate says Donthe Lucas admitted to killing Kelsie Schelling - KRDO

Feb 3, 2021

Opening statements were set to begin just after 8 a.m. Wednesday, and KRDO's Dan Beedie is in the courtroom gathering information as the trial takes place. Court rules state that no outside communication can happen inside the courtroom, but we will update this article with new details when they're available. Follow below:

4 p.m.: In a bombshell revelation, prosecutors called a former Pueblo County Jail inmate who claims that Donthe Lucas admitted to killing Kelsie Schelling.

Prosecutors called Ryan Rivera, who testified that when he was in jail with Lucas, Lucas claimed that investigators would never find Schelling's body.

Seems DL and PF read the same book: no body = no crime.

Colette Bordelon
@ColetteBordelon

NEW DEVELOPMENT: The next witness called to the stand claims he was in jail with #DontheLucas, “who told him he will never be convicted because they’ll never find Schelling’s body.”
@KOAA

More context: the witness says #Lucas told him he will not be convicted, because investigators won’t find #Schelling’s body. When prosecution asked why, witness says Lucas told him “his mom helped him.” We’re live again at 6
@KOAA

It’s worth mentioning - this witness says he has been in and out of jail, has struggled with addiction, and that no one else heard #Lucas say this. He also says he still considers Lucas a friend. We’ll see how defense cross-examines him tomorrow.
@KOAA

I'm getting angry recalling the runaround KS's case was given in the early days of Kelsie going missing. :eek:

IMO, the defendant, DL, was athlete royalty. He was viewed as the local kid that would one day hand out courtside tickets to NBA games. Except for his talent outside of the neighborhood hoops didn't flourish. He stalled at junior college. There was no recruiter and no career in sight. He was angry and everything was Kelsie's fault! And how dare she get pregnant.

Where's Kelsie, Donthe?

MOO
ITA! This case makes me so angry! I hope Donthe is handed the same fate as Patrick Frazee. They both deserve to rot, IMO.

I'm noticing a lot of similarities between these cases:

1. used their phone to send messages from pretending to be them.

2. Immediately after the crime PF called KK, seems like DL messaged his own side chick right after.

3. ''no body, no crime"

4. questionable moms that may know more....

5. DL promised a surprise....didn't PF 'surprise' KB with candles??

Also, both KB's and KS's mom took the stand first.

This is only day one, so we shall see as the trial goes on.

Day 2 of trial by tweet.

Kelsie went missing 8 years ago today.

Dan Beedie KRDO
@BeedieonTV

Defense for #DontheLucas attack Rivera’s story. Lucas happened to say “They’ll never find her body” when no one else was around inside the jail. Defense says there are too many coincidences.

Defense attacks Rivera’s dishonest character. Lay out past drug charges, theft charges. Pending criminal cases. Call him a drug addict.

Rivera says he wished #DontheLucas never talked to him about #KelsieSchelling case in jail. So he wouldn’t have to testify.

Rivera: “You got to do what’s right.. I can’t change what he said. I’ve got to move forward with my life.”

Prosecution: Statements in #Lucas trial made by Rivera cannot be used against him in pending criminal cases. Rivera says he doesn’t know what’s going to happen to him in those pending cases and no promises have been made.

People call 3rd witness to the stand.. Captain Shelly Bryant, head security Captain for the Pueblo County Jail.. Bryant says Rivera was a trustworthy and honest individual during his time in the jail.

Brandon Thompson
@BThompsonNews

DAY 2 IN THE DONTHE LUCAS TRIAL: Starting the day with Ryan Rivera continuing the testimony he gave yesterday, saying Donthe Lucas admitted to him that Lucas and his mother got rid of Kelsie's body. Rivera's credibility is this morning's topic.

Rivera has an agreement that says what he says in Lucas' trial cannot be used against him in future trials. The defense and prosecution disagree on whether that is a "deal" made in exchange for testimony or an agreement that protects his first amendment right.

Apparently after Rivera reported Lucas' statement to the jail captain, Lucas' defense attorney met him in the jail. Defense says they clearly identified themselves as such, Rivera says they only said they were "PDs" which he though meant public defenders.

Rivera then requested not to meet with anyone but his attorney or the district attorney. The defense tried to paint that as favoritism for Rivera but Rivera says relationships with prosecutors aren't helpful.."People like that in prison don't really last very long. They get

messed up." Last on the stand when we broke was Pueblo County Detention Captain Shelly Bryant. Braynt said Rivera often came to her with violations and things that happened in the jail that broke policy. Bryant said all of Rivera's reports she was able to verifying and

told the jury she considered Rivera to be truthful and credible.

Colette Bordelon[URL='https://twitter.com/ColetteBordelon']@ColetteBordelon[/URL]

We’re back in #Pueblo this morning. The murder trial of #DontheLucas continues today, exactly eight years since #KelsieSchelling disappeared on February 4, 2013. She was pregnant at the time, and drove from Denver to Pueblo to see Lucas.
@KOAA

6:20 AM · Feb 4, 2021 from Pueblo, CO·

Replying to
@ColetteBordelon
Her mom, #LauraSaxton, was the first witness to take the stand on Wednesday. She talked about what her daughter was doing on this day eight years ago. #Schelling had gone to a prenatal care appointment, where she was happy to hear both she and her baby were doing well.
@KOAA

6:21 AM · Feb 4, 2021 from Pueblo, CO·

Replying to
@ColetteBordelon
#Saxton said #Schelling was excited, but nervous, to become a mom. She says her daughter had started taking prenatal vitamins and was discussing trying to eat healthier. Her mom says #Schelling apparently said she did not think #Lucas would want to be part of the baby’s life.

6:23 AM · Feb 4, 2021 from Pueblo, CO·

Replying to
@ColetteBordelon
However, the defense would argue #Lucas is a family man, and likes kids. The prosecution spoke at length about texts from this day eight years ago, where they say Lucas “lured” #Schelling down to Pueblo. They also claim those messages show the two argued often.
@KOAA

6:27 AM · Feb 4, 2021 from Pueblo, CO

Replying to
@ColetteBordelon
TODAY: I expect the defense to cross-examine the last witness from Wednesday, who claims while in jail with #Lucas, he told him he will not be convicted in this case, because investigators will never find #Schelling’s body. Thinking the defense will question his credibility.

6:30 AM · Feb 4, 2021 from Pueblo, CO

Replying to
@ColetteBordelon
BREAK: Ryan Rivera, who was in the Pueblo County Jail with #DontheLucas, was cross-examined. Rivera says he didn’t want to testify agains Lucas, but wanted to “do what was right.” He says that before a card game, #Lucas said investigators won’t find #Schelling’s body.
@KOAA

9:43 AM · Feb 4, 2021 from Pueblo, CO

Replying to
@ColetteBordelon
The defense focused on the fact that Rivera has struggled with addiction, and that he’s a “five time felon.” Rivera says “it’s not my fault he (Lucas) said what he said.” Still, defense says no one else can confirm this.
@KOAA

9:48 AM · Feb 4, 2021 from Pueblo, CO

Replying to
@ColetteBordelon
The prosecution then called Capt. Shelly Bryant to the stand to testify on the truthful nature of Rivera. She says in at least three other instances, information from Rivera led to criminal charges for incidents that happened in the jail. She says he’s credible.
@KOAA

9:52 AM · Feb 4, 2021 from Pueblo, CO·

Replying to
@ColetteBordelon
But the defense points to the fact there is no video evidence showing Lucas and Rivera about to play the card game. Also, they spoke heavily about Capt. Bryant taking a progressive approach, and how she would often write letters for inmates with good behavior. Going back in.

9:53 AM · Feb 4, 2021 from Pueblo, CO

I'm really appreciating the level of detail in Brandon's tweets.

Brandon Thompson
@BThompsonNews

Day 2 in the Lucas trial cont: Fourth witness is Lucretia Kinzie, a friend of Kelsie who had grown up in the same town as Kelsie Schelling, but really got to know her in the months before Keslie's disappearance. Kinzie says, Kelsie told her Donthe had hit her and Kinzie saw

marks on her when she said that. The defense says Kinzie's story has changed on this since a motions hearing in 2019. at that time, Defense says Kinize inferred Kelsie was hit through text messages, but Kinzie was adamant Kelsie told her at Noodles & co. Kinzie claims that

Kelsie showed her text messages from Donthe saying "He didn't want the baby. If she were to have the baby, it would ruin his life. That was the brief description of what the text messages would say."

After Kelsie's disappearance, Kinzie says she gave the texts and screenshots from Lucas to police. A couple weeks after she went missing, Kinzie said Lucas contacted her to help look for Kelsie. "It was very odd and it was actually kind of scared me."

Kinzie also said that Kelsie told her about physical abuse from her father, Doug Schelling, though Kinzie didn't know about specific times.

Both these descriptions of abuse, By Lucas and Doug Schelling, were previously ruled inadmissible by the Judge, However, the judge changed his mind today, allowing Kinzie to speak about this. He did instruct the jury that they should *not* consider Lucas'

consider the abuse as evidence of his guilt.

Kasia Kerridge[URL='https://twitter.com/KasiaKerridgeTV']@KasiaKerridgeTV[/URL]

DAY 2 SCHELLING/LUCAS TRIAL: Brought back in the former inmate this morning, who was reportedly friends with Lucas while in jail. The inmate testified yesterday that while in jail, Lucas told him “they weren’t going to find the body” and that “his mom had helped him.”
@KKTV11News

9:41 AM · Feb 4, 2021

Replying to
@KasiaKerridgeTV
The head security guard came on the stand next, saying the inmate reported Lucas' statements to her. She was unable to find camera footage of this interaction though, saying the cameras in the jail often had problems and did not cover every square inch of the jail.
@KKTV11News

9:46 AM · Feb 4, 2021·

I'm really appreciating the level of detail in Brandon's tweets.

I agree, @GoJacks.

KKtv11 reporter Kerridge asked viewers to stand by as she was really struggling with the environment they were given to cover the case. They're in an overflow room at the courthouse, and can't see anything happening in the trial, plus very poor audio.

I can't remember another case where the police Captain testifies specifically to vouch for the credibility of an inmate. We need all we can get in this circumstantial case but I think this is strong for the prosecution. MOO

Brandon Thompson
@BThompsonNews

This afternoon, we heard from two more of Kelsie's friend that described emotional abuse that Donthe Lucas directed at Kelsie Schelling. First up is 'BT' who knew Kelsie from college and became better friends with her when Kelsie moved to Denver. They hung out

the January before Kelsie went missing and remembers Kelsie and Lucas texting and Lucas calling her ", *advertiser censored*, hoe, you're whack, anything that you could think of that was outside of her name." "He told her she was stupid." Brooke also testified Donthe didn't want the baby.

Then Kelsie's college roommate Allysia C testified. She had seen Kelsie and Donthe fight for the year she lived with her in college. One night, Kelsie took what Allysia thinks were a bunch of anxiety pills and ended up in the hospital. That, and the fights, led to Allysia

moving out but says she interpreted it as "'I need help' is what I got out of that from her. I don't think it was a suicide attempt, I think it was 'I need some attention. I need someone to love me.'"

Replying to
@CarolAMcKinley
On stand Lucretia Kinzee- #kelsieschelling ‘s friend testifies thow happy she was about her pregnancy. But #donthelucas told Kinzee the baby would ruin his life.
@abc

11:23 AM · Feb 4, 2021·

Carol McKinley@CarolAMcKinley

Replying to
@CarolAMcKinley
One of #KelsieSchelling ‘s closest friends tells court she was a bubbly person with a big laugh until she met her accused killer #DontheLucas On cross Ally Eberhardt admits she was frustrated with the drama.
@ABC

2:14 PM · Feb 4, 2021·

Weak evidence. This Rivera could be doing this for a reward. He offered nothing that was not public information.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanMichelle
Back