CO CO - Kelsie Schelling, 21, pregnant, Pueblo, 4 Feb 2013 *Arrest* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It sounds like this guy has a solid defense attorney, so I hope the prosecution’s case is solid enough to convict him. I almost wish they had charged him with kidnapping. It would be much easier to prove and the sentence significant. Similar to Sidney & Tammy Moorer who are serving 30 years w/out the possibility of parole for the kidnapping of Heather Elvis (her body has also never been found). Cell phone data also played a significant role in that case.
yeah that would have made more sense. And if the murder chargers fail you still have the kidnapping. Id like to know how the prosecution knows that Kelsie was strangled.

Last edited:
Colette Bordelon @ColetteBordelon
It’s a foggy morning here in #Pueblo. This will be my thread for the day on the #DontheLucas murder trial. He’s the man accused of killing 21-year-old #KelsieSchelling in 2013. She was two months pregnant at the time.
@KOAA

Colette Bordelon @ColetteBordelon 33m
Replying to @ColetteBordelon
On Friday afternoon, CBI Agent Kevin Torres took the stand. He’s the investigator who, in 2018, claimed #Lucas lured #Schelling down to Pueblo and strangled her. His theory would explain the lack of a murder weapon. Expecting to hear more from Agent Torres in the courtroom.
@KOAA

Colette Bordelon [URL='https://twitter.com/ColetteBordelon']@ColetteBordelon [/URL]32m
Also on Friday, the prosecution said if there was time, #Schelling’s father and brother would take the stand. We could get to both of those testimonies today.
@KOAA

Colette Bordelon [URL='https://twitter.com/ColetteBordelon']@ColetteBordelon
[/URL]30m
Last week, prosecutors came out in opening statements and said this is a homicide case, not a missing person’s. Through testimony from #Schelling’s mom and friends, the jury got to hear how outgoing and bubbly she was.
@KOAA

[URL='https://twitter.com/ColetteBordelon']Colette Bordelon
@ColetteBordelon 28mThe jury also learned #Schelling’s apartment did not seem disturbed in the days after her disappearance (no bags packed, toothbrush still there, etc.). The testimonies from friends and her mom drive home a key point of the prosecution’s argument: #Schelling is deceased.@KOAA[/URL]
Colette Bordelon [URL='https://twitter.com/ColetteBordelon']@ColetteBordelon [/URL]26m
Cell phone evidence also shows that #Schelling’s and #Lucas’ phones were mostly overlapping in the same areas from February 4-6, the two phones never left Pueblo, and #Schelling’s phone last connected to the network on the morning of February 7.
@KOAA

Colette Bordelon [URL='https://twitter.com/ColetteBordelon']@ColetteBordelon [/URL]25m
Remember - no live reporting is allowed from within the entire courthouse. I’ll update this thread on breaks.
@KOAA

Brandon Thompson
@BThompsonNews

We continue see text messages between Kelsie Schelling and Donthe Lucas this morning, as Lucas' trial for Kelsie's murder enters day 4. The two started arguing over texts on February 3, the day before Kelsie was last seen. There texts went into the early morning of February 4,

with calls and argumentative texts. Kelsie texts "I'm done fighting with you Donthe. We can't even go a day without fighting....I'm tired of being miserable. THis isn't me. I'm always happy, I can't even remember the last time I was happy."

Donthe texts that he hasn't tried to start to start fights and that "I plan to make things work." There are a number of texts of Kelsie telling Donthe where she is as she drives to Pueblo and once she arrives, her texts indicate she waited at Wal Mart for an hour.

During the tail end of that hour, Lucas texts his mother, Sarah Lucas.
Donthe: "I want to make sure she didn't leave anything in the house then you can take her back home.
Sarah: What happened??
Sarah: Are you ok?
Donthe: Yeah great now
Sarah: She's not pregnant.

Donthe: Nothing just had to make sure I was right. Apparently she had a miscarriage yesterday
Sarah: Oh my god
Donthe: All wise
Donthe: I'm 100% positive
Sarah:: Okay love you.
Sarah: Ready for a smoke and a pancake?
Donthe: Hell yeah lol Let me get her out of here

Last edited:
Colette Bordelon @ColetteBordelon
LUNCH: Domestic violence is complex. The next witness called to the stand is considered an expert on the topic. There are different ways an offender maintains control, like threats, intimidation, withholding emotional support, or isolation. @KOAA

Colette Bordelon @ColetteBordelon 12s
The witness says there’s a difference in power in a domestic violence relationship. There are also many reasons why a victim may not leave the relationship. Emotional abuse can include name calling, or things that chip away at a victim’s self-esteem. @KOAA

Colette Bordelon @ColetteBordelon 14s
Isolation is “very interesting” says the expert. The offender works to isolate a victim from friends or family, or maybe the victim isn’t allowed to have a job. Allegations the victim is cheating are also deemed common in a #domesticviolence relationship.
@KOAA

Colette Bordelon @ColetteBordelon 54s
I’m breaking all this down separately from #Schelling and #Lucas’ relationship. The expert is speaking on commonalities within domestic violence. But, let’s go back and look at some of the text messages read aloud before this testimony.
@KOAA

Colette Bordelon [URL='https://twitter.com/ColetteBordelon']@ColetteBordelon [/URL]2m
A pregnancy can change the power and control dynamics too. Maybe the victim isn’t as focused on the offender as they once were. If that happens, there can be an escalation in violence. DV can go from emotional abuse, to physical, to a homicide - but not always. @KOAA

Last edited:
Brandon Thompson
@BThompsonNews

We continue see text messages between Kelsie Schelling and Donthe Lucas this morning, as Lucas' trial for Kelsie's murder enters day 4. The two started arguing over texts on February 3, the day before Kelsie was last seen. There texts went into the early morning of February 4,

with calls and argumentative texts. Kelsie texts "I'm done fighting with you Donthe. We can't even go a day without fighting....I'm tired of being miserable. THis isn't me. I'm always happy, I can't even remember the last time I was happy."

Donthe texts that he hasn't tried to start to start fights and that "I plan to make things work." There are a number of texts of Kelsie telling Donthe where she is as she drives to Pueblo and once she arrives, her texts indicate she waited at Wal Mart for an hour.

During the tail end of that hour, Lucas texts his mother, Sarah Lucas.
Donthe: "I want to make sure she didn't leave anything in the house then you can take her back home.
Sarah: What happened??
Sarah: Are you ok?
Donthe: Yeah great now
Sarah: She's not pregnant.

Donthe: Nothing just had to make sure I was right. Apparently she had a miscarriage yesterday
Sarah: Oh my god
Donthe: All wise
Donthe: I'm 100% positive
Sarah:: Okay love you.
Sarah: Ready for a smoke and a pancake?
Donthe: Hell yeah lol Let me get her out of here
I wonder if the OBGYN is on the witness list to discuss the appointment/sonogram Kelsie had just had?

Brandon Thompson @BThompsonNews 6m
Replying to @BThompsonNews
Next was testimony from a Domestic Violence expert. She's a blind witness so she was only brought to speak about trends and patterns, she said she knew nothing about specifics of the case. After her was Det. Chad Sinnema, who was one of two Denver Police Officers to take the

Brandon Thompson @BThompsonNews
7m
Feb. 9 missing persons report from Kelsie's family. He called Donthe Lucas as part of that. Sinnema reports that Lucas said he last last saw Kelsie on the 5th where she wanted to talk about their relationship. Lucas claimed he told her he didn't want a relationship, but after

Brandon Thompson @BThompsonNews 3m
The domestic violence expert did testify to how victim's & offenders actions change when a pregnancy comes into the picture including that a victim will focus less on the offender/ other person in the relationship, and that lack of attention can escalate an offenders actions

Brandon Thompson @BThompsonNews 8m
or concerned in that first call to him during the missing persons report.

that, Lucas said they went to Parkview medical center. Lucas says Kelsie went into the hospital and came back a short time later to say she wasn't pregnant. In Donthe's telling at the time, Kelsie dropped him off and Kelsie left. Sinnema said Donthe didn't seemed emotional upset

Kasia Kerridge @KasiaKerridgeTV 3m
SCHELLING/LUCAS TRIAL DAY 4- CBI continued to go through Kelsie and Lucas’ texts around the time she went missing. Texts showed the two apparently arguing the day before and the day of Kelsie’s first OB appointment. Kelsie reportedly went to work after, then drove down to Pueblo.

Kasia Kerridge [URL='https://twitter.com/KasiaKerridgeTV']@KasiaKerridgeTV [/URL]2m
Kelsie apparently went to the southside Walmart and waited for Lucas for an hour or so. CBI showed texts of Lucas to his mother Sara around the same time (Feb. 4 night) saying “apparently she (Kelsie) had a miscarriage yesterday.”

Kasia Kerridge [URL='https://twitter.com/KasiaKerridgeTV']@KasiaKerridgeTV [/URL]1m
The prosecution brought in a “blind expert” of domestic violence, which means she gave expertise on the general topic of domestic violence, but has no information on this case specifically.

Colette Bordelon [URL='https://twitter.com/ColetteBordelon']@ColetteBordelon [/URL] 10m
#Schelling texts #Lucas: “I’m here by myself, it’s a lot to take in,” referencing her prenatal appointment. “I’m tired of just doing whatever you say,” when talking about driving to #Pueblo. “I’m miserable, this isn’t me... I don’t even remember the last time I was happy.” @KOAA

Colette Bordelon [URL='https://twitter.com/ColetteBordelon']@ColetteBordelon [/URL]6m
On that phone call, which was not recorded, #Lucas told the officer he saw #Schelling on Feb. 5, when she came over around 2 or 3 AM to discuss their relationship. Tells the officer he told Schelling he didn’t want to be in a relationship with her anymore. @KOAA

Colette Bordelon [URL='https://twitter.com/ColetteBordelon']@ColetteBordelon [/URL]9m
Moving on to the next witness, one of the officers who responded to #Schelling’s missing person report on Feb. 9, 2013. Says her apartment was spotless. He called #DontheLucas that night, to try and gain information on where #Schelling could be. @KOAA

Brandon Thompson @BThompsonNews 6m
Replying to @BThompsonNews
Next was testimony from a Domestic Violence expert. She's a blind witness so she was only brought to speak about trends and patterns, she said she knew nothing about specifics of the case. After her was Det. Chad Sinnema, who was one of two Denver Police Officers to take the

Brandon Thompson @BThompsonNews
7m
Feb. 9 missing persons report from Kelsie's family. He called Donthe Lucas as part of that. Sinnema reports that Lucas said he last last saw Kelsie on the 5th where she wanted to talk about their relationship. Lucas claimed he told her he didn't want a relationship, but after

Brandon Thompson @BThompsonNews 3m
The domestic violence expert did testify to how victim's & offenders actions change when a pregnancy comes into the picture including that a victim will focus less on the offender/ other person in the relationship, and that lack of attention can escalate an offenders actions

or concerned in that first call to him during the missing persons report.

that, Lucas said they went to Parkview medical center. Lucas says Kelsie went into the hospital and came back a short time later to say she wasn't pregnant. In Donthe's telling at the time, Kelsie dropped him off and Kelsie left. Sinnema said Donthe didn't seemed emotional upset

Hi @Emi. Thanks to you and @Seattle1 & @GoJacks for the tweets etc. Brandon Thompson’s are particularly good, but I think something has gone wrong with them here? I don’t mean to sound ungrateful, I am v grateful, just that these have all truncated themselves.

Colette Bordelon @ColetteBordelon 16m
The prosecution comes back and says #Lucas identified himself during the phone call, never became emotional, didn’t seem upset, and didn’t say he was really concerned. @KOAA

Colette Bordelon [URL='https://twitter.com/ColetteBordelon']@ColetteBordelon [/URL]18m
The defense questions the officer, who says he never came to Pueblo, never met #DontheLucas, and could not verify what his voice sounds like. @KOAA

Colette Bordelon [URL='https://twitter.com/ColetteBordelon']@ColetteBordelon [URL='https://twitter.com/ColetteBordelon/status/1358859196586942471']19m
[/URL][/URL]
On the call with the officer, #Lucas never mentioned the Walmart, meeting on a side street, using #Schelling’s debit card, or dropping her car off at St. Mary Corwin. @KOAA

Colette Bordelon @ColetteBordelon 21mBut #Lucas says #Schelling came back that morning, and the two went to Parkview Hospital, where #Lucas alleges #Schelling went inside, came out, and said she was no longer pregnant. Previously, the prosecution has said there is no record of this from the hospital.
@KOAA

Hi @Emi. Thanks to you and @Seattle1 & @GoJacks for the tweets etc. Brandon Thompson’s are particularly good, but I think something has gone wrong with them here? I don’t mean to sound ungrateful, I am v grateful, just that these have all truncated themselves.
You're most welcome. I'm not sure what you mean by something going wrong or tweets appearing truncated but I can say that they are reporting under the worst conditions since they're not allowed inside the courtroom and can't even see the witnesses testifying! It was explained earlier that reporters are in an overflow room inside the courthouse with only audio play because the courtroom gallery is limited to a few seats usually taken up by the family members. I believe Thompson was allowed inside the courtroom one day last week when space became available.

Not to worry, it must just be something about my screen on WS as I’ve now clicked through to Twitter and it all appears ok on there for me. Sorry to have bothered you all as it must just be a problem at my end. Thanks again for the tweets.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08
Back