Found Deceased CO - Maggie Long, 17, suspicious house fire, Bailey, 1 Dec 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No. The Keyes family lost their daughter, Emily, in the completely causally unrelated hostage/assault/murder/suicide event at the high school years ago. Lynna Long was a hostage then, but survived.

Now, Lynna's younger sister, Maggie, has been killed, and Emily Keyes' mother, who is a friend of the Long family, is acting as spokesperson for the Long family.

Can clearly see why there is confusion. Wires crossing over everywhere with these two poor families and two awful situations :( And they say lightening doesn't strike twice.

No.

Your confusing the Emily Keyes murder at the high school 12 years ago, with the Long family. Lynna Long was one of the hostages, she was not killed.

Yes, I just saw your post and deleted that post. Thank you.:wave:

I think we need a list of pure facts here, as we know them so far. Feel free to compile a list anyone. :heart:

(Eta, I'll leave this to you guys since I keep getting things confused!)

Hello,

I am the editor of The Fairplay Flume, the weekly paper of record in Park County.

I have been working this story from my end. I monitored the radio traffic of the whole incident coming down, and I kept note of other actions taking place during the next three days.

It's obvious that LE is not releasing much info, that's the game we always play. They know, I have to find out so I can inform the public. I know more about this than the Denver broadcast people know, but I am keeping a lot to myself right now.

It was The Flume that first reported the content of the initial 911 call. That call was made from an attic apartment, above the rear of the house. The apartment sits over the Long's kitchen area and the living room downstairs.

I know who made the call. The person is probably not a suspect, but that person is keeping a low profile, I have not been able to speak to him, although I have leads to other people in his social circle.

There is a number of things that have been said on this thread that is wrong. Mainly because a lot of you are even further removed from local sources. So I would like to help you out with things I can talk about.

This statement from above, "IMO the perp knew what he was after and Maggie got in the way. It seems to me that the guns and ammunition plus whatever was in the safe was the target. I suspect this was premeditated" is partly wrong.

Nothing ever reported that a safe was missing from the house. Here is the body of the BOLO, although there was more at the top of the BOLO and at the end.

"The bolo is going to be for a late model 90s to 2000 light colored mini van, possibly driven by a white male in his 20s. Homicide occurred during an arson and the suspect driver may have some flash burns … as well as gasoline taken from the house, a large case, AK47, 2000 rounds of ammo of 7.62 and a 9mm Beretta. Please advise the subject is considered armed and extremely dangerous."

The item mentioned is "a large case," not a safe.
The BOLO does not mention a "stolen van."
Maggie did not own the guns, this was her parents house, she lived there, the weapons probably belonged to the family.
The BOLO was not meant to be broadcasted to Denver police, it was a bulletin for CIAC. It was a mistake that it went out the way it did.

I have audio of the complete BOLO.

The Long's own at least four businesses in Park County, not two and county records show at least seven properties (some land).

Everything that I have been able to release to the public can be found in these articles ...

http://www.theflume.com/free_content/article_aaf65e2a-d918-11e7-ac5e-27d5a2fe169d.html
http://www.theflume.com/free_content/article_95a95bc2-dc6e-11e7-bc63-d3e7c1dd804f.html
http://www.theflume.com/free_content/article_077e8364-db82-11e7-80fe-afc9e1474238.html

To add some confirmation, yes, Maggie's car was on the property. They knew they had a body that night, but CBI had to identify the remains. The fire did not gut the house, it was contained around a kitchen/hallway area and when up into the attic apartment. There is one small hole in the roof, which can be seen in some helicopter shots taken by the Denver (I call them "downhill") broadcast media.

There is one thing I want to point out. Your member "Zchick" has posted some things here and some of what she/he posted jives with info that I have (but not published). I sent her/him a PM with my home phone number, asking her/him to call me, I think together we can help inform the public of what happened. I have had no phone call or an answer to my PM, which is her/his prerogative.

I'm still working my end.There will probably be two articles in the paper next Thursday (remember, we're a weekly), one that concentrates on Maggie and the community and the other with anything I can release about the incident.

HI Walter,
When you have published your articles, can you post a link so we can read them?

The three links in my quoted message above are all the articles we have published up to today.

This coming weeks stuff, I will post when they are ready. Our website doesn't get updated until next Saturday, so that's the next day I can post links. We are a weekly, sometimes we post breaking news (as we can).

There will be two articles at least, I'm working on the hard news and I have a part time staff writer working on the softer "effects on the community" article.

I'm curious about their home security. Most people with large homes have an alarm and/or cameras. Alarm companies call the homeowner and other contacts if one of the sensors is triggered. I wonder if Maggie returned home because she got a call from the alarm company because they were unable to reach her parents. If there were security cameras, I wonder if there was useful footage, maybe stored in the cloud.

I'm especially curious about why Maggie was killed. If she had interrupted a burglary, why would the perpetrators add homicide and arson to the list of crimes they'd be facing if caught? Were they afraid that she could identify them? Did she know her killers?

Maggie returned home to pick up hotdogs for the concession stand at the concert, according to an earlier post.

It's pretty common for the fire department to cut a vent hole in the roof. This allows the fire to vent up and out, which prevents it from spreading laterally. It also helps them to make sure there is no fire remaining in the attic.

It's pretty common for the fire department to cut a vent hole in the roof. This allows the fire to vent up and out, which prevents it from spreading laterally. It also helps them to make sure there is no fire remaining in the attic.

I believe the fire did go through the roof.
A post on another local website..... http://www.pinecam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=222815&sid=3fdcbb5ccab9ec7bd41b488c8b70f755
provides a witness who was driving through the canyon at that time who saw smoke and flames and first responders attempting to get to the home. That post was made at 7.21 pm requesting additional information.
Here is what confuses me.
If Ms. Long got home around 3-3:30 and the fire was called in at just after 6:00pm. Deputies got to the scene somewhere between 6-7:14pm and fire was told to roll at 7:14 pm.....
Deputies here are usually rolling somewhere nearby. There are deputies assigned to this side of the county.
Why such a long response time by deputies?
Who was at the home between 3:30 and 6:00pm?
If the person who made the 911 call was at the home, was he/she there the entire time or did they arrive on the scene during all this?
When was that 911 call actually made and from where?
It was my impression reading the volumes of information on local web pages that she intended to go home for supplies and come right back.
There are some extremely smart folks here.
I welcome a dialog to try and unravel this mystery.

If Ms. Long got home around 3-3:30 ...

SBM. I don't think we know when she arrived at the home. People have presumed she may have gone straight home when school got out between 2:30 and 3:30, but I don't know if there's any basis for that.

Also, keep in mind that it would have gotten pretty dark right around 5pm-ish.

That is a very good point.
This was posted on her sisters FB page on 12/2
"Right now we are focused on Maggie’s communications from after school (approx 2:30pm) until 8pm. If you had any contact please reach out. If you have heard anything strange or seen anything out of the ordinary, it might be a significant detail. Please help us to fill in the gap."
Why just up to 8:00pm?
I have to assume by that post that her family had no contact with her and that she did not go to the family business before going home.

Walter...can you verify the time that the 911 call was made. I keep seeing "around 6pm". I also keep seeing that Maggie left school at 2:30, but I've heard directly from a PCHS student that Maggie left school more closely to 3:30, and went home to get hot dogs for the concession stand. I live in the area, so I know it would probably take 20-25 minutes to get to her house from the high school.

I'm just trying to narrow down the timeline...I'm thinking if Maggie left school at 3:30, she would get home around 4pm or slightly before, so for me, the time of the 911 call is important in determining if Maggie encountered her murderer upon returning home, or if the perpetrator entered the home after Maggie got there, or possibly how long Maggie was in the home with the perpetrator before the 911 call was made.

Thanks for any light you can shine on the timeline. :)
Notice this post, it puts her getting home about 4.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

That post from the local site says that at about 7:15-20 the fire Dept was just getting there and looking for a way in?

Of course, that may just be how it looked to the man driving by. I doubt there gate was shot as zchick said the beige van came right out of the driveway and onto 43.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My husband also came home around this time and though he did not notice a fire, there were a couple of things he did notice.
A first responder of some kind, did do a u turn in the entrance to the subdivision just across from the ranch. This would have been right around 7:20 or so.
So...on a time line based on what we can put together....
Maggie Long leaves the school around 3:30. (It is about a 20 minute drive to the house from the school)
911 call comes in around 6pm or so (stating that people are yelling and arguing and trying to set the home on fire)
7:14 pm. Fire is told to roll. (Closest fire station is about 6-8 minutes away)
At 7:17.... Mutual aid is requested from neighboring fire Dept for a tender.
7:24 That department arrives.
at 8:48.... that mutual aid department clears scene according to the same thread posted above.
At 9:48 pm...Maggie Longs sister posts a plea for help on her personal facebook page. (12/1/17)
At 12:48pm...(12/2/17) That same sister posts a request for anyone who heard from Maggie between 2:30 and 8:00pm to please call Park County SO.
In reality....Those are the only facts we currently do know.

It would be helpful to know what time a tan or light colored minivan was coming out of the ranch.
I think it is a good bet that the gate was not shut.

At 9:48 pm...Maggie Longs sister posts a plea for help on her personal facebook page. (12/1/17)

SBM. Good job with the time line.

Just to tighten up your times a little bit, the sister first posted about ML being missing at 9:36pm on December 1st.

It probably makes little difference. I'm sure that the family had discovered that ML was missing as soon as they got news of the fire, but it probably took LE time to go inside the home, find a body, and then notify the family. I'm sure those were harrowing hours for the family: unable to reach ML and not sure where she was. LE probably had the driveway blocked off, so they may or may not have known her car was parked up by the house.

Radio traffic indicated that as the deputies were arriving on the scene, they said they saw fire coming through the roof.

The fire chief called me last Monday morning and said that was not true. The deputies said that, but the chief said the fire had not breached the roof.

In helicopter shots of the residence, you can see a small hole in the roof.

I don't know if fire department made that hole or if it was due to fire coming out of the attic apartment.

I don't know the exact timeline in the beginning. I know dispatch received the first call sometime after six and fire was told to roll at 7:14.
Yes they would have made the hole for ventilation and to check for extension.

Sent from my SCH-I435L using Tapatalk

Woops. I should have read further before posting. Sorry for duplicating what you just said. :)

Sent from my SCH-I435L using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member