Found Deceased CO - Maggie Long, 17, suspicious house fire, Bailey, 1 Dec 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This time of year, there are all sorts of Christmas decorations that can cause fires. Dry trees for greenery; faulty lights; faulty electrical decorations; candles.

Which brings up the point: except for the sheriff's statement that they are investigating this as a homicide, this death might have been accidental. For example, ML comes home to change clothes for the concert; puts clothes too close to a space heater and gets in the shower; the clothes start smoking heavily and eventually catch fire; ML gets out of the shower, starts screaming and throwing things around to try to put the fire out; she is overcome by smoke, passes out and dies of smoke inhalation.

It wasn't accidental. I can stand in a court of law and state that.

This struck me as odd the first time I heard it. . . .any thoughts on what this meant?: "Suspicious because of where the concentration of the fire is at."
In this case it sounds like it must have been pretty obvious.

I haven't had a chance to talk to my fire investigator friend about the body situation. Going to text him about it now.

(The statement also reads strangely due to poor sentence structure)

Sent from my SCH-I435L using Tapatalk

This time of year, there are all sorts of Christmas decorations that can cause fires. Dry trees for greenery; faulty lights; faulty electrical decorations; candles.

There wasn't any Christmas decorations in the house. Or outside of the house.

Which brings up the point: except for the sheriff's statement that they are investigating this as a homicide, this death might have been accidental. For example, ML comes home to change clothes for the concert; puts clothes too close to a space heater and gets in the shower; the clothes start smoking heavily and eventually catch fire; ML gets out of the shower, starts screaming and throwing things around to try to put the fire out; she is overcome by smoke, passes out and dies of smoke inhalation.
If that were the case her body would have been easily found, the witness wouldn't have said *people* were arguing, witnesses wouldn't have seen a van leaving at a high rate of speed.

Oh, and LE wouldn't call it a homicide
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

It was a really nice day in Bailey. in the 60's. I would have a hard time believing someone was using a space heater in a 1.3 million dollar home.

In that exerpt.....the Under Sheriff says the one thing that has all of this community up in arms.
"NO BODY WAS FOUND AT THE FIRE SCENE"
For 6 days....people in this community hoped beyond anything that she was OK.
Did the SO outright lie?

I am not so sure there was ever a van. Zchick posted that her friends had a plate number.
Why wasn't that aired in the BOLO?

In that exerpt.....the Under Sheriff says the one thing that has all of this community up in arms.
"NO BODY WAS FOUND AT THE FIRE SCENE"
For 6 days....people in this community hoped beyond anything that she was OK.
Did the SO outright lie?

It was definitely misleading, the way the communication was handled. I don't know why they thought it was okay to handle it the way they did. If they wanted her to be positively identified, then all they had to say was that they ML was missing, that they found a body, but that they were waiting to release a name until they had positive i.d.

They even could have postponed the announcement a reasonable time (24 hours?) to allow notification of next-of-kin. But then they needed to tell the public what was up.

People didn't know if she was dead or alive, if she had set fire to her house and run off, if she had been kidnapped, and I don't know how "no search parties at this time, continue to pray for the family, no danger to the public" is supposed to convey anything meaningful to the community.

Baffling isn't it. The only plausible explanation that my brain keeps coming back to is that they are protecting someone.

If the fire we're in a concentrated area as it was mentioned and if an accelerant was used, would there be a period of time before they could fully investigate the area and determine if she was there?

That, or they have no idea what they are doing
Or they know exactly who is responsible or don't think the reported info is true so don't want the public chasing a false lead

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I hope it doesn't come to that conclusion, but what if her remains are in the wooded area? Search parties always miss something the first time around.

~Who is the Belle Chasse John Doe?~

I hope it doesn't come to that conclusion, but what if her remains are in the wooded area? Search parties always miss something the first time around.

Body was found in house. No search parties were ever formed. They have a positive ID on the body. Law enforcement announced that last Thursday, Dec. 7. If you go back and read this thread, you will see how the investigation has unfolded.

Body was found in house. No search parties were ever formed. They have a positive ID on the body. Law enforcement announced that last Thursday, Dec. 7. If you go back and read this thread, you will see how the investigation has unfolded.
Oh. That is saddening to hear. Thank you for clearifying. This thread is long and I didn't get a chance to read all the replies.

It was definitely misleading, the way the communication was handled. I don't know why they thought it was okay to handle it the way they did. If they wanted her to be positively identified, then all they had to say was that they ML was missing, that they found a body, but that they were waiting to release a name until they had positive i.d.

They even could have postponed the announcement a reasonable time (24 hours?) to allow notification of next-of-kin. But then they needed to tell the public what was up.

People didn't know if she was dead or alive, if she had set fire to her house and run off, if she had been kidnapped, and I don't know how "no search parties at this time, continue to pray for the family, no danger to the public" is supposed to convey anything meaningful to the community.

I keep coming back to the thought that they did it on purpose to try and get the suspect. Maybe by no mentioning the body the suspect might have thought she lived...or his fire cleaned up the eveidence. I think not mentioning a body was a tactic to try and get the suspect.

I also think they most likely identified her via dental records. So I imagine that took some time to get a confirmation.

I keep coming back to the thought that they did it on purpose to try and get the suspect. Maybe by no mentioning the body the suspect might have thought she lived...or his fire cleaned up the eveidence. I think not mentioning a body was a tactic to try and get the suspect.

I also think they most likely identified her via dental records. So I imagine that took some time to get a confirmation.
If it was a tactic to fool the suspect, it was a bad one because they sure didn’t fool me. If a girl is missing and they are actively looking for her, you don’t ask if anyone had contact with her between certain hours the day she went missing. You ask if anyone has had contact with her ANYTIME since she left school.

Look up Emily Keyes in Bailey Colorado.
The Emily Keyes murder will haunt me for the rest of my life. I'm a Colorado native, and I live about an hour from Bailey. Every time I drive past that high school I say a silent little prayer for Emily. Thank you so so much, Walter, for all the information you've shared!

Sent from my Alcatel_4060A using Tapatalk

The Emily Keyes murder will haunt me for the rest of my life. I'm a Colorado native, and I live about an hour from Bailey. Every time I drive past that high school I say a silent little prayer for Emily. Thank you so so much, Walter, for all the information you've shared!

Sent from my Alcatel_4060A using Tapatalk

Wish I could share more, but, I have fact that still need to be sourced. I sort of approach this journalism thing honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member