Found Deceased CO - Maggie Long, 17, suspicious house fire, Bailey, 1 Dec 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are your saying that's what the tenant said? Because really he's the only one that would know.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Just knowledge of when Maggie supposedly arrived home around 4

Maggie's last post on her Instagram account lists the concert being Friday, Dec. 1 at 7 with the caption "Don't miss this show for the world."

I found an image of a poster for the show/concert on Instagram that says Art and Drinks at 7:00, Music at 8:00.

And this apartment is right above the kitchen where everything happened,.
Actually it supposedly happened above the living room - but it wouldn't matter either way. You can't actually know what was heard or not.

I haven't read through everything so sorry if it has been discussed but has the tenant been ruled out as having something to do with this?

I haven't read through everything so sorry if it has been discussed but has the tenant been ruled out as having something to do with this?

The police said he was ruled out, but that doesn't mean anything. I've seen other cases where they "rule out" individuals when the reality is that those individuals are the only ones they're looking at, so I don't put a lot of stock in that.

The thing that bothers me the most in this case is that we believe Maggie got home about 4pm, and was expected to come right back...by 5pm people were already asking where she was....and the 911 call didn't come in until 7:01pm. So whatever was happening to Maggie had to have started pretty quickly after she got home...as it doesn't sound like she planned on being home very long, maybe 15-20 minutes, so the murderer(s) had to have either been there when she got home, or got there by 4:30 or so...definitely before 5pm. And they were still there at 7pm. No random thief who is just there to grab and go is going to spend 2+ hours in a home they are robbing. Whoever was there had to know damn well what they were after, and how long they had to get it. If there was a safe that they couldn't just pick up and take, then they took the time to break into it, and either they knew damn well they had plenty of time to do it, or were ready and prepared to kill anyone that may happen to come home during that time.

This was either an "inside job" or a "professional job", IMHO.

The police said he was ruled out, but that doesn't mean anything. I've seen other cases where they "rule out" individuals when the reality is that those individuals are the only ones they're looking at, so I don't put a lot of stock in that.

The thing that bothers me the most in this case is that we believe Maggie got home about 4pm, and was expected to come right back...by 5pm people were already asking where she was....and the 911 call didn't come in until 7:01pm. So whatever was happening to Maggie had to have started pretty quickly after she got home...as it doesn't sound like she planned on being home very long, maybe 15-20 minutes, so the murderer(s) had to have either been there when she got home, or got there by 4:30 or so...definitely before 5pm. And they were still there at 7pm. No random thief who is just there to grab and go is going to spend 2+ hours in a home they are robbing. Whoever was there had to know damn well what they were after, and how long they had to get it. If there was a safe that they couldn't just pick up and take, then they took the time to break into it, and either they knew damn well they had plenty of time to do it, or were ready and prepared to kill anyone that may happen to come home during that time.

It seems to me that the person/people must have been comfortable enough in the home to stay there for the 2 or 3 hours he/she/they were most likely there for. Would they not be worried to see cars in the driveway? What if someone else were to stop by the house?

It seems to me that the person/people must have been comfortable enough in the home to stay there for the 2 or 3 hours he/she/they were most likely there for. Would they not be worried to see cars in the driveway? What if someone else were to stop by the house?

I agree with you guys.. IMO it appears that the family was targeted and it was someone who knew they would be gone, and what was of value... my guess is Maggie surprised the perps or perp in the act... I have a hunch that she wasn’t the target...I think she ended up being collateral damage in the attempt to cover their tracks

have both of the family businesses been looked into?

I know I saw on a previous post that the LE said somewhere that her killing was only a small part of something larger [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

I wonder if someone was embezzling from one of the businesses and was about to get caught so did this to cover up their tracks? Perhaps the safe (if there was one) had papers that could tie them? Or someone was fired for something (within a year) and held a grudge...

obviously it was someone comfortable and knew the house... but that’s JMO [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm curious as to whether she actually said she'd be right back. Not that it really matters, but if she wanted to shower or change or if she had to heat up the hot dogs and/or wrap them all of that would change the timeline.

As for the car in the driveway, I would think the van could have been easily hidden from sight, behind or at the side of the house. Would Maggie pull into the garage? And why is the garage door boarded up?

Also, sunset was about 4:30, so it would have been dusk when she got home and possibly dark when the killers arrived.

I would think that surveillance at their businesses has already been checked, but I wonder if the killer(s) went there to make sure the parents were working before they went to the house. There was a post by someone stating that she worked as a waitress in the family restaurant so the house was probably known to be empty in the evenings.

They could have been looking for something quite specific and never found it or finally found it at 6:45 and then started throwing things (piling up furniture, etc that would burn?)

Yes he was

Do you ever recall seeing anyone else besides family members working at the liquor store or restaurant?

I remember one time I went into the liquor store and there was a pretty young girl with dark skin (looked like she was black or bald black)working there. She commented on the brand of shirt I was wearing. It was a Lily Pulitzer shirt which isn’t common in Colorado, let alone in Pine Junction, so it caught me off guard. She told me that she used to work at a resale shop and had to know all brands of clothes. As she was telling me that she recently moved to the area, Maggie’s mom ran over from the restaurant, started talking stern to her, rang me up and then I left. I never saw that girl again. Even at the time, I thought it was weird.

Understood. Thank you.

For those not from here, I just want to say that Pine Junction, where the restaurant and liquor store are, is a VERY SMALL community, and Bailey, where the other restaurant is (although it's been closed for months) is also very small. Even if you had both restaurants full every night, and had a line out the door at the liquor store, there is just only so much money you could make in these small towns, even in the summer with tourists. I struggle to understand how they afforded their huge home (I believe county records show they paid $531k for it.) We know that Maggie worked in the restaurants, but she also worked cleaning the Venue theater to help pay her program fees (tuition) there. Of course, it could be that her parents didn't just pay for everything to teach her responsibility, but I just can't see how they could have been pulling in a whole lot of money, and even less with one of the restaurants shut down for the past 6 months or so. And let's not forget that not only did they have the $531k house here in Bailey, they also owned a home in Conifer and one in Littleton. And if they were so rich as to be a target for something like this, why were they renting out the attic of their house? I don't understand the finances of the family at all, and would love to know where their "real" money came from...which adds to the mystery of who may have been at the home.

Sorry for rambling, just my thoughts this morning.

Now that the memorial service is over and the sheriff's office isn't saying anything, this case has passed outside of the collective consciousness, and you won't see any more media stories. Might as well close this thread.

Now that the memorial service is over and the sheriff's office isn't saying anything, this case has passed outside of the collective consciousness, and you won't see any more media stories. Might as well close this thread.

I have two coming out, available online Saturday.

One is about the memorial, the other is harder news about timelines, Colorado Open Record Acts requests and some misc.

And since this happened in my county, the story is far from over. If I have something new to write about weekly, I will, otherwise, there may be some pauses in coverage.

I'm not off the case in anyway.

I have leads I'm working, rumors to either verify or ignore and other sources that I'm working on.

For those not from here, I just want to say that Pine Junction, where the restaurant and liquor store are, is a VERY SMALL community, and Bailey, where the other restaurant is (although it's been closed for months) is also very small. Even if you had both restaurants full every night, and had a line out the door at the liquor store, there is just only so much money you could make in these small towns, even in the summer with tourists. I struggle to understand how they afforded their huge home (I believe county records show they paid $531k for it.) We know that Maggie worked in the restaurants, but she also worked cleaning the Venue theater to help pay her program fees (tuition) there. Of course, it could be that her parents didn't just pay for everything to teach her responsibility, but I just can't see how they could have been pulling in a whole lot of money, and even less with one of the restaurants shut down for the past 6 months or so. And let's not forget that not only did they have the $531k house here in Bailey, they also owned a home in Conifer and one in Littleton. And if they were so rich as to be a target for something like this, why were they renting out the attic of their house? I don't understand the finances of the family at all, and would love to know where their "real" money came from...which adds to the mystery of who may have been at the home.

I have a friend that lives in Evergreen that used to live in Bailey who I spoke with yesterday.
You are right Doris on the sustainability of living in small mountain towns. Most residents in those type of areas are retired that only go in summer and lock up the homes in winter and without tourist they would be non-exsistant. Very hard to make a living and even if you work from home you need to have that internet signal which sometimes you just cant get or it is so spotty you give up.
I have been out to the area and it would be considered rural for sure. Beautiful yes but you cant live on beauty if you need to work a full time job.
After I heard of the multiple homes they owned I too wondered how they did it financially but we have no way of knowing if they have lots of money invested or what their financial status is.
My friend did tell me some things that of course she heard because everyone is talking about it and most people in rural areas of Colorado are fully armed so they are being very diligent but there is fear and residents do not like how this is being handled.
I will not repeat what she said because I have no proof to back it up but she did say that the liquor store will close Dec. 31. She has been to the restaurant and met the mother in the past.
I hope for all involved they have answers soon.

Yes, the liquor store and the 1 remaining restaurant will both close for good on Dec. 31st. I'm guessing the Bailey home will be up for sale soon after.

Did people in the community have questions about how they made their money prior to Maggie's death?

Also do you know why one of the restaurants closed recently and the others are closing this month? I thought they had been in business for a fairly long time because I remember eating at their Chinese restaurant in the early 2000's so it seems odd timing unless they had already planned on retiring.

Are the homes they own in Conifer and Littleton rental homes?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

For those that live down CR 43, do you recall their gate being left open with any frequency?

I don't recall seeing it open through the years but I don't drive by daily. If it's an automated gate, which I suspect it is, I don't know that there would be any reason to leave it open.

If the gate requires a code to get in, which I would also suspect, it would seem to help narrow down the possible suspects.

For those that live down CR 43, do you recall their gate being left open with any frequency?

I don't recall seeing it open through the years but I don't drive by daily. If it's an automated gate, which I suspect it is, I don't know that there would be any reason to leave it open.

If the gate requires a code to get in, which I would also suspect, it would seem to help narrow down the possible suspects.

It is an automatic gate.

The second gate is manual (yes, there are two gates).

Good question.

But are the gates open during the day, normal coming and goings of people up to the property? You had the tenant in the attic apartment, I believe there was a tenant in a small out building, so, was it normal to sometimes keep gates open and in the evening, someone (probably from the main house, trigger the gate and close it.

The gate was solar powered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member