CO - Mass shooting at King Soopers, 10 fatalities including 1 LEO, Boulder, 22 Mar 2021 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I remember trying to get a mentally ill friend of mine, admitted to a psych facility. She had previous stays there and previous notes on the police system regarding her mental health. I was told that until she harms her self or others there is nothing we can do...30 mins later she had self harmed with the mirror she had smashed because she thought her dead father was coming through it and had locked me out of the flat...
It’s not easy to get mental health for people, willing or unwilling MOO

RSBM

EVERYONE!!! if you kn0w ANYONE suffering from paranoid delusions, please DO SOMETHING! get them the help they need, mental health is one of the biggest issues plaguing our society and some people don't even know they need help! it's up to us to recognize and call attention to these types of behaviors so that they don't escalate. downward spirals can happen so fast! moo.
I agree and above all, make sure they don't have access to weapons!

RSBM

EVERYONE!!! if you kn0w ANYONE suffering from paranoid delusions, please DO SOMETHING! get them the help they need, mental health is one of the biggest issues plaguing our society and some people don't even know they need help! it's up to us to recognize and call attention to these types of behaviors so that they don't escalate. downward spirals can happen so fast! moo.
But where to get help? That's the problem. There is next to no help available.

jmo

Boulder shooting suspect Ahmad Alissa bought rifle a week ago

His sister-in-law, whose name is redacted, told investigators that she saw Alissa, 21, “playing with a gun she thought looked like a ‘machine gun'” in the days prior to the shooting, the court papers say.

“Alissa had been talking about having a bullet stuck in the gun and was playing with the gun,” the affidavit reads.

The document notes that the sister-in-law — who was tracked down by detectives at Alissa’s home on Monday night — was “hesitant to mention” what she’d seen.

RSBM

It sounds easy but it is not always! Speaking from personal experience here, several years ago we attempted to get help for someone who had definite mental health issues, a real danger to herself and others.

She attempted to purposely run down someone with her vehicle, among other dangerous behaviors. She stated that she wished she had a gun and detailed what she would do. We finally were able to get her an involuntary 72 hour mental admission but she was released after 24 hours when she convinced the doctor that we were out to get her and that we had all lied about her to obtain the order.

We begged for help and couldn’t get it. We were told she was an adult and unless she wanted help their hands were tied.

She moved away and we lost touch with her. I won’t be surprised if we see her in the news at some point.

It sounds easy but it is not always! Speaking from personal experience here, several years ago we attempted to get help for someone who had definite mental health issues, a real danger to herself and others.

She attempted to purposely run down someone with her vehicle, among other dangerous behaviors. She stated that she wished she had a gun and detailed what she would do. We finally were able to get her an involuntary 72 hour mental admission but she was released after 24 hours when she convinced the doctor that we were out to get her and that we had all lied about her to obtain the order.

We begged for help and couldn’t get it. We were told she was an adult and unless she wanted help their hands were tied.

She moved away and we lost touch with her. I won’t be surprised if we see her in the news at some point.

In AZ, not sure if it's the same for other states, family members can petition the court to keep their loved one in a mental hospital. You may need to petition over and over but it's possible to have them kept longer than 72 hours.

RSBM

Especially if you know they have the ability to buy weapons!!

family members can petition the court to keep their loved one in a mental hospital
This path did not work for us. Some years ago, a relative repeatedly threatened to ‘take people out with him’; he got 72 hours and out after 2 days. At release, was recommended he get therapy; instead, left the state. He terrorized my mother and children for years afterward. We tried multiple times to get him committed again, without success. I am still fearful of him popping up.
System isn’t built for it - an involuntary commit could be used to nefarious ends, but wish there was a better way.

This path did not work for us. Some years ago, a relative repeatedly threatened to ‘take people out with him’; he got 72 hours and out after 2 days. At release, was recommended he get therapy; instead, left the state. He terrorized my mother and children for years afterward. We tried multiple times to get him committed again, without success. I am still fearful of him popping up.
System isn’t built for it - an involuntary commit could be used to nefarious ends, but wish there was a better way.
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, but this is so common. Yet people cry, "Why didn't the family do more?!?"

Families do try! They are exhausted and frustrated from trying. There is no help to be had. Then, on top of that, people judge them for not doing anything.

jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ezinu
Back