CO - Mass shooting at King Soopers, 10 fatalities including 1 LEO, Boulder, 22 Mar 2021 *arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DH had a poster on the wall of his office when he was the school psychologist and director of special ed in a public school district. "Sticks and stones MAY break your bones, but words will ALWAYS hurt you. Be kind." I, of course, had always heard the opposite and so this made me consider the absolute effects of harmful words.

Today, it can be in person or on any form of SM. Not always so easy to brush them off. Definitely not an excuse to ever harm someone though.

Something to consider.

Sadly, many Americans today regard kindness and empathy as weakness. There's so much "othering" and dehumanizing of people who aren't in our immediate peer group. That message is so prevalent today.

Sadly, many Americans today regard kindness and empathy as weakness. There's so much "othering" and dehumanizing of people who aren't in our immediate peer group. That message is so prevalent today.
OT my partner had a bunch of cool sweatshirts made that say "empathy is f#cking cool" and I'm wearing mine right now. IMO it is the NUMBER ONE trait that people need to be utilizing constantly, and socializing their children with.
Where did all the empathy go?? moo

PHOTOS: Candlelight vigil held in Boulder to remember King Soopers shooting victims

TDP-L-CANDLELIGHT_VIGIL__HHR9492.jpg

OT my partner had a bunch of cool sweatshirts made that say "empathy is f#cking cool" and I'm wearing mine right now. IMO it is the NUMBER ONE trait that people need to be utilizing constantly, and socializing their children with.
Where did all the empathy go?? moo

I'd like one of those.

Maybe feeling empathy for others is a good benchmark to determine if someone is a victim of bullying or someone with another type of personality disorder, requiring a different approach.

We can always start with our immediate peer group. I listened to a meditation last night that spoke about kindness, how an act of kindness affects so many people who receive it, witness it, even hear of it. Worth a try. IMO

We can always start with our immediate peer group. I listened to a meditation last night that spoke about kindness, how an act of kindness affects so many people who receive it, witness it, even hear of it. Worth a try. IMO

So true!
Before I ever heard the words/ phrase " sticks and stones..." I heard the words " Love one another".

DENVER — The University of Colorado’s Golden Buffalo Marching Band gathers every Friday night before home football games to rally fan support in the heart of Boulder.

Nobody loved the Pearl Street Stampede quite so much as Teri Leiker.

“She was there even before we started gathering, which is half-an-hour before the stampede started,” CU marching band director Matt Dockendorf said. “She was just a staple. She was kind of a personal cheerleader for the band.”

Leiker, 51, was a longtime King Soopers employee who was shot and killed along with 9 others Monday at the Table Mesa Drive location in Boulder. She was also a member of Boulder’s “intellectual and developmental disabilities community,” according to a statement from Special Olympics Colorado.

The nonprofit organization said Leiker “brought life and light to all she did.”

Woman With Developmental Disability Among Victims In Boulder Shooting

I think when they look into his home life, more answers will come out. There is info out there of the amount of people in and out of the house, and the issues neighbors have had since they moved in. WHY he chose this store is one question i would like answered.

Boulder shooting suspect appears in court | 9news.com
[Alissa is being represented by Colorado State Public Defender Daniel King, who was also the attorney for the Aurora theater shooter and Planned Parenthood shooter.

He waived the right to a preliminary hearing within 35 days and will appear before a judge again in 60-90 days for a status hearing. The date for that has not yet been set.

Alissa sat quietly in court and only spoke to affirm that he understood statements by the judge.]

KING SOOPERS SUSPECT AHMAD ALISSA: Shooting suspect appears in court on Thursday
[Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa faces 10 first degree murder charges and one attempted first degree murder charge.

The District Attorney said the attempted first degree murder charge is due to Alissa allegedly trying to kill a second Boulder Police Department officer.
During the course of the hearing the defense counsel spoke about trying to get a better understanding of Alissa’s “mental illness.”]

I’m torn. I am tired of trying to figure out the motive of mass killers. Some people are just evil. Period. And our mental health care system is decidedly broken. Is there any helping a person so emotionally troubled that he would annihilate a group of innocent people?

I do care about the victims, and if learning more about the motive of these killers will save innocent lives, then I’m all for it. I hope - someday - the system of care will get fixed.

jmo
Yes, many people believe that these types of crimes can be avoided if the warning signs are recognized and treated early on. But how can that be done without quality mental health care? Adolescents with conduct disorder are more likely to commit violent crimes in the future. Yet many are undiagnosed or never follow through with health care.

So many times we find out that there were warning signs right before the crime was carried out. Maybe there should be something like mandating reporting for people who appear to be homicidal. Like making comments about killing people or suddenly buying a weapon, aggressive behavior, etc. Then police required to follow through within a certain period of time. I don't know what the answer is, but something has to be done.

That is the basis for Rachel's Challenge. She was the first victim killed in the Columbine shooting. She developed a code of ethics about a month before her death.

"Compassion is the greatest form of love humans have to offer. I have this theory that if one person can go out of their way to show compassion, then it will start a chain reaction of the same. People will never know how far a little kindness can go."

Rachel Joy Scott

When she was 13 she drew an outline of her hand on her bedroom wall and wrote, "These hands belong to Rachel Scott and will someday touch millions of people's hearts."

That is the basis for Rachel's Challenge. She was the first victim killed in the Columbine shooting. She developed a code of ethics about a month before her death.

"Compassion is the greatest form of love humans have to offer. I have this theory that if one person can go out of their way to show compassion, then it will start a chain reaction of the same. People will never know how far a little kindness can go."

Rachel Joy Scott

When she was 13 she drew an outline of her hand on her bedroom wall and wrote, "These hands belong to Rachel Scott and will someday touch millions of people's hearts."
So sad. And ironic - from Columbine to Boulder.

There is truth in her wise young message. My meditation was a quote from the Dalai Lama, "There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart, is our temple; the philosophy is kindness."

Yes, many people believe that these types of crimes can be avoided if the warning signs are recognized and treated early on. ...

So many times we find out that there were warning signs right before the crime was carried out. Maybe there should be something like mandating reporting for people who appear to be homicidal. Like making comments about killing people or suddenly buying a weapon, aggressive behavior, etc. Then police required to follow through within a certain period of time. I don't know what the answer is, but something has to be done.

RSBM

Yes and Yes!
There was another in Atlanta yesterday. A gunman with 5 guns! was caught in a Publix store, before the man could do any damage. Somebody " saw something and said something" and thwarted any further mayhem and damage, by calling the police!! This person, (whoever called) should be lauded as a hero! We need more heroes!

I have several Muslim friends that have to pretty consistently defend themselves. So his rants about Islamophobia and xenophobia online (that I’ve read so far) are definitely not enough for me to jump to the conclusion he was recruited. Waiting for more info to surface in the coming days. Moo

<modsnip>
He's Syrian correct? We've bombed Syria recently. Wonder if that angered him.

So true!
Before I ever heard the words/ phrase " sticks and stones..." I heard the words " Love one another".
Yes, that is a key spiritual concept.

Unfortunately, with teenage or young men, they're looking for a different kind of love. And however spiritually advanced, young women aren't loving everyone that way.

I also think what many young people, who feel like outcasts, really want is not so much kindness, as coolness. They want to be one of the 'in' crowd, and however kind the members of the in crowd are, they're not going to befriend and draw in just anyone into their cool circle of friends.

High school is a necessary evil, it seems, but IMO it mixes a wide variety of young people together, without any social order except for the one they create for themselves.

A beautiful video that is silent the entire time that is just showing the memorial fence with respect at the site of the King Soopers Shooting.

This is not MSM and I'm reporting my post to mods for an exemption to post this as not MSM.

Very well done, beautiful, and very respectful video MOO.

*Bows head* at the very impressing 3:42 video of the memorial in silence.

Last edited:
A beautiful video that is silent the entire time that is just showing the memorial fence with respect at the site of the King Soopers Shooting.

This is not MSM and I'm reporting my post to mods for an exemption to post this as not MSM.

Very well done, beautiful, and very respectful video MOO.

*Bows head* at the very impressing 3:42 video of the memorial in silence.

Yes, approved dixiegirl ... a beautiful memorial.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot
Back