CO - Possible Serial Shooter Has Colorado Drivers on Edge #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brighton Vandalism Report- interestingly by Zelinger-
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...may-also-be-related-to-past-incidents11202014

VERY interesting: the BBgun/pellet gun used here and the description of a light colored SUV with the passenger having a head out the window.

Re: the no witnesses- I completely agree that by the time the victims looked up, traveling 75 MPH (and ofte people are going 80-85 mph here) they would be in front of the shooter's location- the land here is wide open, but they frontage road is often slightly lower, offering some cover, or if the car looked like a parked car in a parking lot, drivers might not have thought about it coming from off the highway. From the 144th/136th shooting details, this guy or guys are not on the highway but rather shooting from the side of the highway.

Hi Amy, welcome back. Good to have another local on this thread. I am just a little north of you. This is not the first time we have seen a reference to a light or white SUV and that is what they are looking for in reference to the Jacoby shooting.
It is also interesting that that SUV had 2 people in it at least. Many have speculated that there could be more that one person involved, and often seems like it would be necessary given some of the shots.

Its interesting that you don't think the shooter(s) from Greeley or Ft.Co. I have been leaning a bit towards Greeley or surrounding areas, or FoCo. I do agree with you that its most likely someone who is local and has a good working knowledge of the roads, especially perhaps those smaller roads east of I-25.

Yeah, the lack of the people in the car getting hurt has me perplexed. That is what lead to us talking about all the other alternatives like the "AIR-SOFT" rifles that may have been used to shoot a different type of projectile that breaks glass but does not penetrate.

I was amazed at all the types of AIRSOFT ammo and what I learned about those airsoft guns is they could break glass if they rig theirs with C02 and are the more advanced ones.

Here is even some biodegradable ammo that dissolves and disappears into the environment.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3997918

The perp maybe just wanting to terrorize the motorists and slow them down on the road. Maybe he thinks if he gets caught with an airsoft gun he wont go to prison so long.

Until this thread brought it up, I had no idea you could break windows with airsoft. I don't really have any experience with them, but I know they are extremely popular, especially with teens and younger adults. So airsoft firing some harder ammo could certainly account for some window shatterings. But then what is the connection to the killings? I can't figure it out. It just seems so odd that sometimes our shooter goes out with airsoft (or bb/pellet or whatever) to shatter windows, and then the next day decides to kill someone with a real firearm. Do we have multiple unrelated shooters? That seems incredibly unlikely, but who knows.

Brighton Vandalism Report- interestingly by Zelinger-
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...may-also-be-related-to-past-incidents11202014

VERY interesting: the BBgun/pellet gun used here and the description of a light colored SUV with the passenger having a head out the window.

Re: the no witnesses- I completely agree that by the time the victims looked up, traveling 75 MPH (and ofte people are going 80-85 mph here) they would be in front of the shooter's location- the land here is wide open, but they frontage road is often slightly lower, offering some cover, or if the car looked like a parked car in a parking lot, drivers might not have thought about it coming from off the highway. From the 144th/136th shooting details, this guy or guys are not on the highway but rather shooting from the side of the highway.

NOTE: This was last year in 2014 but maybe they are at it again.

Wow. These perps hit 79 cars in a short time span. Maybe they are involved in some of the others. One of the victims also said he saw no hole but just a shattered window. These 2 were working in tandem which makes sense to have 1 guy driving and 1 shooting out the window.

Maybe they are traveling around doing most of the shooting of the vehicles.

"BRIGHTON, Colo. - More than 79 cases of vandalism occurred in a period of just 18 hours in Brighton, and now police are offering a reward for information.

The suspect or suspects in a moving SUV used a high-powered BB gun or pellet gun to shoot through the windows of cars in the city. The vandalisms occurred between Wednesday night and Thursday afternoon, according to Brighton Police Department spokesman John Bradley."

ETA: This was in 2014

Take a look at the guys window in the very top right corner of the hole. To me it looks like a small pellet or something hit that window because you can see "stress lines" going upwards and downwards from that very top right corner.

The actual large hole in the glass is from the shattered glass falling out. But the actual impact that started the whole thing may have began in the very top right corner and may indicate it is just a small pellet or BB of some sort.

Im still surprised that no victim has found a pellet or BB inside the cabin of their vehicle.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...ruck-window-mysteriously-shattered-along-i-25

Hopefully you aren't too flooded right now!
My basis for the location is from the excellent map posted on this thread- the concentration and frequency of glass shattering events, occurs really right by Johnstown/Milliken (which is also a possibility to me). I was thinking that Greeley and Ft Collins are pretty self sufficient towns and they don't often have to leave those towns for every day needs. Greeley is much more of an 85 town than a i25 town and I think we would see more shootings on 34, 85 and even 60 if the suspect is from there. Fort Collins really has a lower concentration of events and almost nothing north of the city and I would think we would see more shatterings on north i25 if the person was from there as well as on 287.
The type of person who I picture has a vigilante type motive and seems to really hate i25- the smaller towns of Mead, Berthoud, south Loveland, Firestone, Johnstown and Milliken have to use i25 to get to even typical stores including grocery stores in some cases. These people would be much more impacted by heavier traffic, fast speeds and careless driving that we both know is ridiculous on that highway!
the suspect(s) is definitely unorganized, so I can't see him purposefully going out of his way to find cars to shoot- someone who lives in Greeley or Fort Collins would not have to drive all the way to the highway and up and down it to find bad drivers or even just cars to shoot.
I would love to know if any or all of the drivers whose windows were shot out were speeding, driving aggressively, etc. It really wouldn't take much to push someone already a little unstable to go bonkers with the drivers on that road- I feel like that sometimes driving it every day!
Anyway, just my theory! Greeley definitely has the, socio-economic and criminal element that I believe this shooter or shooters have, so it is definitely plausible!

Prairiefire- which incidents reported SUV? Is it in the spreadsheet?
The car in the Brighton video definitely looks like an older gray or light colored jeep grand cherokee.

The police/FBI have asked for information about a white Ford SUV that was apparently very near the scene of the Jacoby murder. There was another shooting where someone referenced a white Chevy SUV, but I can't remember which shooting or where it was. I don't have time now, but perhaps this evening I can see if I can find that story.

What amazes me is that after all this media coverage, some stupid kids or whoever, would drive around shooting windows either of their own volition or as a copycat. They could easily find themselves as a murder suspect.

Hopefully you aren't too flooded right now!
My basis for the location is from the excellent map posted on this thread- the concentration and frequency of glass shattering events, occurs really right by Johnstown/Milliken (which is also a possibility to me). I was thinking that Greeley and Ft Collins are pretty self sufficient towns and they don't often have to leave those towns for every day needs. Greeley is much more of an 85 town than a i25 town and I think we would see more shootings on 34, 85 and even 60 if the suspect is from there. Fort Collins really has a lower concentration of events and almost nothing north of the city and I would think we would see more shatterings on north i25 if the person was from there as well as on 287.
The type of person who I picture has a vigilante type motive and seems to really hate i25- the smaller towns of Mead, Berthoud, south Loveland, Firestone, Johnstown and Milliken have to use i25 to get to even typical stores including grocery stores in some cases. These people would be much more impacted by heavier traffic, fast speeds and careless driving that we both know is ridiculous on that highway!
the suspect(s) is definitely unorganized, so I can't see him purposefully going out of his way to find cars to shoot- someone who lives in Greeley or Fort Collins would not have to drive all the way to the highway and up and down it to find bad drivers or even just cars to shoot.
I would love to know if any or all of the drivers whose windows were shot out were speeding, driving aggressively, etc. It really wouldn't take much to push someone already a little unstable to go bonkers with the drivers on that road- I feel like that sometimes driving it every day!
Anyway, just my theory! Greeley definitely has the, socio-economic and criminal element that I believe this shooter or shooters have, so it is definitely plausible!

These are caps of one of videos that shows a passenger leaning out side the light colored SUV. Thank you very much for your great posts, from post #160, 1st thread

To find the incidents that match the dates on the spreadsheet, go down the list of incidents and then the various layers you can click on or off, each of the teardrops has information attached, and the most recent are the purple dots, hope that helps. I appreciate your interest and input very much. The frontage roads, that you mentioned in your detailed and well reasoned posts, in your experience how often do you see cars on it or recreational riders?

Attachments

• Passenger shooter.png
    Passenger shooter.png
    55.7 KB · Views: 45
  • passenger shooter enlarged enhanced.jpg
    passenger shooter enlarged enhanced.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 44
  • passenger shooter high contrast.jpg
    passenger shooter high contrast.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Surv. video passenger window shooter image tweaked.jpg
    Surv. video passenger window shooter image tweaked.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 9
  • Passenger shooter Nov - Edited.jpg
    Passenger shooter Nov - Edited.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 4
the Frontage roads are used often and when traffic is bad on i25, they are pretty crowded- I'd say a vehicle passing every 20 seconds or so as a guide... I think people who do not want to go as fast as i25 goes use the frontage road.

the Frontage roads are used often and when traffic is bad on i25, they are pretty crowded- I'd say a vehicle passing every 20 seconds or so as a guide... I think people who do not want to go as fast as i25 goes use the frontage road.

Thank you, for your great response. Your details add so much. I think it's just a matter of time LE catches up with the creep/s. This area, as you eloquently point out is urban, lots of eyes, thus camera rich as well, and all this is recent and frequent, so there may be information coming in that LE can cross reference to get a better bead on their movement, at least before and after the incidents, which may be very telling, in addition to leads, hopefully. With growing awareness, as Foxfire points out, and as margarita25 and others on the ground there state, more people may notice or remember things.

The one thing that stands out as the thing that makes the perp/s so unseen or recognizably defined is the timing of the acts. For the timing to be that good, it seems to me, over and over again, I think there's a good chance it would take more than one person to focus on the surroundings, potential victim, risk factors, and clean getaway, and more than one person in one position even, or one perp with amazing luck who is just that stealthy.

The one thing that stands out as the thing that makes the perp/s so unseen or recognizably defined is the timing of the acts. For the timing to be that good, it seems to me, over and over again, I think there's a good chance it would take more than one person to focus on the surroundings, potential victim, risk factors, and clean getaway, and more than one person in one position even, or one perp with amazing luck who is just that stealthy.

Or it could be, as LE has already stated, that the vast majority of incidents were not shootings at all, but caused by road debris. There were many shatterings last year as well; perhaps there are just more being reported now, and the media is making people more fearful as these come on the heels of two positively linked shootings). It's a much more plausible explanation than one dealing with multiple shooters, frangible ammo, etc.

I found this Task Force update at The Denver Post that I thought y'all would find interesting...
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_28340505/task-force-issues-letter

"One of the reasons the task force has been cautious about releasing information like vehicle descriptions is because we know that misinterpreted information can not only be damaging to solving the case, but it can also be dangerous to the community."

Very good article. Also of note:

"It was also released that a group within the task force has been assigned to investigate the numerous reports of vehicle windows shattering while driving, which may or may not be connected to the confirmed shootings. However, officials believe these reports are coming in now more frequently because of a heightened sense of awareness and that these shattered windows are most likely being caused by road debris.

"To date, we have found no solid evidence that any of these incidents are related to our shootings," the letter said."

The police/FBI have asked for information about a white Ford SUV that was apparently very near the scene of the Jacoby murder. There was another shooting where someone referenced a white Chevy SUV, but I can't remember which shooting or where it was. I don't have time now, but perhaps this evening I can see if I can find that story.

I'm only remembering mention of a 'dark SUV' in connection with the Romero case.

I guess the task force is frustrated with all the speculation but I don't want to dismiss all the window-shattering’s as unrelated to the shootings because some really could be related … and if not to the shootings then some incidents could be related to each other and yield clues to what is really happening…for example, there have been 8 incidents on I-25 occurring this year between 2/22-6/7 that happened between MM240-MM252... 6 southbound, 2 northbound,…of the 6 traveling southbound, 4 were rear windows, (1 was driver’s side, the other didn’t say)… that seems unusual to me ...my husband once had a rock spit back from his over-sized knobby tires into his side mirror and shattered it, but I'm having difficulty visualizing how that could happen to rear windows with road debris?... in fact these rear window-shattering’s were the first incidents…so, who knows if they are related or not?...of the 2 northbound incidents during that same time period and along that same stretch of road, one was a report of a slingshot and a semi and a miss, the other was the inmate van that they have explained as possibly being caused by a paintball?...where are they playing paintball?...so northbound maybe not related; but if you’re traveling southbound near Berthoud be on the lookout…

I would think if road and rock debris, large enough to shatter windows, is floating around out there in all directions, then wouldn’t you think we would be noticing smaller debris hitting our windows in the same fashion? … I can understand how problematic it is to group all these unusual incidents together looking for clues to one solution, but what we have here is a series of unusual incidents, some of which are connected and some of which are probably not…the task force is telling us not to speculate but it isn't telling us we're safe...

I guess the task force is frustrated with all the speculation but I don't want to dismiss all the window-shattering’s as unrelated to the shootings because some really could be related … and if not to the shootings then some incidents could be related to each other and yield clues to what is really happening…for example, there have been 8 incidents on I-25 occurring this year between 2/22-6/7 that happened between MM240-MM252... 6 southbound, 2 northbound,…of the 6 traveling southbound, 4 were rear windows, (1 was driver’s side, the other didn’t say)… that seems unusual to me ...my husband once had a rock spit back from his over-sized knobby tires into his side mirror and shattered it, but I'm having difficulty visualizing how that could happen to rear windows with road debris?... in fact these rear window-shattering’s were the first incidents…so, who knows if they are related or not?...of the 2 northbound incidents during that same time period and along that same stretch of road, one was a report of a slingshot and a semi and a miss, the other was the inmate van that they have explained as possibly being caused by a paintball?...where are they playing paintball?...so northbound maybe not related; but if you’re traveling southbound near Berthoud be on the lookout…

I would think if road and rock debris, large enough to shatter windows, is floating around out there in all directions, then wouldn’t you think we would be noticing smaller debris hitting our windows in the same fashion? … I can understand how problematic it is to group all these unusual incidents together looking for clues to one solution, but what we have here is a series of unusual incidents, some of which are connected and some of which are probably not…the task force is telling us not to speculate but it isn't telling us we're safe...

Good, fact based analysis. I like it! That said, I was once sitting in a parked car when my beat up old passenger side window shattered without apparent explanation.

But I agree that it doesn't happen often enough to explain away many of the shatterings we've heard about. Our spreadsheet lists 30 shatterings since the beginning of April for which we have dates and locations, but no definitive causes. Weld Sheriffs had declared many to have been accidental, one way or another, but we don't know which. The Task Force saw fit to review those conclusions, but hasn't released any specifics on that review.

The Task Force yesterday made the valid point that motorists are now more likely to report shattered windows than they might have been before. But the Task Force also announced that has decided not to release reports of window shatterings from May forward. So motorists may be reporting more often, but the authorities don't appear to be. (While some reporting has come out about Larimer and Weld county shatterings since the beginning of May, most of the more recent shatterings have been reported by police departments not represented on the NOCO Task Force: Westminster, Broomfield, and Aurora).

I was relieved to read in the Task Forces public letter that their concerns about misinterpretation were focused on misunderstandings of their BOLO for a white SUV in connection with the Jacoby shooting - and not on how scary looking our map can be. If they have concerns about our mapping shattering incidents that they know to have had natural causes, they haven't expressed them. (I'd love to take off as many irrelevant incidents as I can - and I have in several instances.)

That transparent pitch for clearer data aside, I'm encouraged that the Task Force is getting out there to explain the situation. That can't be easy before a case is solved, but helps everyone.

Or it could be, as LE has already stated, that the vast majority of incidents were not shootings at all, but caused by road debris. There were many shatterings last year as well; perhaps there are just more being reported now, and the media is making people more fearful as these come on the heels of two positively linked shootings). It's a much more plausible explanation than one dealing with multiple shooters, frangible ammo, etc.

JMO
There is no doubt that some of the window shatterings are road debri caused, but what has me convinced something else is going on is the sheer number of "SIDE WINDOWS" either passenger or drivers side windows. Those are so bizarre to me because the SIDEWAYS force it would take to have road debri fling up and glance off a side window makes me think that a portion of them have to be something else.

Some of the pictures of the side windows like the truck yesterday seem to show a direct sideways impact.

I think it would be good to talk to road construction crews to see if they are using a new material to fill pot holes or something. In our area in the midwest there was some new substance they started using on road repair that made the news. They started using recycled bottles glass in the road asphalt. It made the news becuase people could not believe glass was actually being used in the road work and they started to worry about getting flats. LOL
It happened quite a few years ago and Ill try to find the article.

If CO road repair started to use something new in filling pot holes and it is sticking to peoples tires and then flinging backwards at other cars, I could see where something like that could account for some of them. The road construction companies would probably try to hide the fact if they knew they were responsible. It would be good to have the news interview them if they can to see what substances they use and what is in the mix.

The side window impacts are the ones that bother me the most and some of those pictures.
Those side window pictures of some of them just seems like direct sideways impact in the perfect center of the window. I do agree some are road debris. I just have a tough time with some of those direct center impact pictures.
Quite a few of the recent side window pictures looks like the hole is in the direct center of the window. It almost appears like "aiming" had to take place to get the direct center hole of the window. If it was just random chunk of something flying up, then what are the odds it would hit direct center of window.

JMO
There is no doubt that some of the window shatterings are road debri caused, but what has me convinced something else is going on is the sheer number of "SIDE WINDOWS" either passenger or drivers side windows. Those are so bizarre to me because the SIDEWAYS force it would take to have road debri fling up and glance off a side window makes me think that a portion of them have to be something else.

Some of the pictures of the side windows like the truck yesterday seem to show a direct sideways impact.

I think it would be good to talk to road construction crews to see if they are using a new material to fill pot holes or something. In our area in the midwest there was some new substance they started using on road repair that made the news. They started using recycled bottles glass in the road asphalt. It made the news becuase people could not believe glass was actually being used in the road work and they started to worry about getting flats. LOL
It happened quite a few years ago and Ill try to find the article.

If CO road repair started to use something new in filling pot holes and it is sticking to peoples tires and then flinging backwards at other cars, I could see where something like that could account for some of them. The road construction companies would probably try to hide the fact if they knew they were responsible. It would be good to have the news interview them if they can to see what substances they use and what is in the mix.

The side window impacts are the ones that bother me the most and some of those pictures.
Those side window pictures of some of them just seems like direct sideways impact in the perfect center of the window. I do agree some are road debris. I just have a tough time with some of those direct center impact pictures.
Quite a few of the recent side window pictures looks like the hole is in the direct center of the window. It almost appears like "aiming" had to take place to get the direct center hole of the window. If it was just random chunk of something flying up, then what are the odds it would hit direct center of window.

Interesting, perhaps? Wouldn't tar or whatever other road surface stuff also be found nearby to possibly rule out such incidental material causes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlanta_2_Philly