CO - Possible Serial Shooter Has Colorado Drivers on Edge #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is one of the more advanced ones that has the "HOME" feature. It allows the user to mark the home position and then whenever he wants the drone to fly back to him, its a push of a button.

The other interesting features are where the drone can automatically hover in 1 position and stay stable by itself.

Some of the good photography with drones are done with these advanced models that do all the work for the user.

"Storm Drone 6 is a versatile flying platform, well-built and made for everyone, thanks to the smart GPS system, once it's in mid-air, you can hands off the RC transmitter and it'll stay there. It's so easy to fly"

http://www.helipal.com/storm-drone-6-gps-flying-platform.html

With the NOCO window shatterings, I would think a witness would have seen the drone so I doubt a drone is being used but who knows. I think more along the lines of construcdtion equipment being disguised.

What ever happened to that Orange Truck. I guess LE never found the organge truck and we have never heard more about it.

Wow. A high point 9mm? Really?
High points are a running joke to anyone in the firearms community. You would have to be pretty close to your target to be able to hit anything with one, if you can get it to fire that is.
I'm also a bit curious about the 9mm penetrating windshields at longer distances.
Plenty of stories out there about the 9mm bouncing off of them.
If 8m not mistaken, that's one of the many reasons police depts switched to the .40 caliber. Lack of penetration.

Quoted from CSI don't think so.

What about windshields? This is an area of great variability. Because windshields are slanted and made of a tough combination of glass and plastic, it’s difficult to predict what will happen upon bullet impact. The result depends on the caliber of bullet, bullet shape and composition, what type of gun fired the bullet, and where the gun was fired in relation to the car. Numerous police accounts document handgun bullets ricocheting off windshields.

Head on, the slant of a windshield could very well cause a .38 caliber or 9mm slug to ricochet. Many law-enforcement officers use hollow-point bullets. However, hollow-points have less mass than a full metal jacket round and are more likely to ricochet, partly because some of the bullet’s energy is absorbed by the deformation of the hollow cavity during impact. Just as cars have crush zones to absorb impact during a crash, the hollow-point bullet has a built-in crush zone that may sometimes make it ineffective against a windshield.

here's a video on how unreliable these firearms are. In this video they are doing destructive testing. Finding out the breaking point of the hi point.
As you can see, the guy wearing the steel plated outfit that he is well prepared in case the firearm explodes.

https://youtu.be/2FoWpog5KU4

The thing with the NOCO window shatterings though is almost all of them have been side window shatterings. There have been pictures of some of the side windows where you can tell the impact point. A lot of them are hard to tell where the impact was and a lot of them didn't fully penetrate the window which was really strange since it must have been more of a pellet type gun with no power or maybe a long range shot where the power fell off because of distance.

The NOCO window shatterings have been quite a mystery since the sheer number of them have been quite amazing. There is a nice map that is back on one of the threads that has them graphed out.

There are also some real NOCO murders from a random shooter that happened awhile back too and those were obviously from a bullet. The window shatterings have been the real strange mystery due to number of them.

I don't believe the drone theory at all. These things are just to loud, very visible and difficult to control for novice users. However a while back, an 18 yr old Connecticut collage student rigged a drone up to fire a real handgun.
Video below

https://youtu.be/xqHrTtvFFIs

Thank you, Forager. How do the VA shootings differ from NOCO and AZ, in specifics, do they seem, as they do to me, just as layered, with various shooters with different weapons and degrees of seriousness?

Thank you indeed for giving me this opportunity to pontificate, Find! As in Phoenix and NOCO, the I-95 incidents around Richmond vary considerably in weaponry, tactics and severity. I'm not entirely confident that they are all related to one another. They don't follow a pattern of starting out timidly and escalalating - but neither did the Phoenix or NOCO series. Like the Colorado incidents, they were started in 2013, stopped in 2014 and were concentrated in the spring and summer of this year.

The first I-95 attack, in Oct. '13 was very aggressive. The police believe that the passenger of another car blasted a shotgun from up close, thru the passenger-side window of the victims' car, hitting the passenger and driver. No where to escalate from there. It happened just two miles south of Bells Rd., the site of the most recent attacks.

Starting almost a year and a half later, there were half a dozen reports of much less lethal windshield shatterings up and down a sixteen mile stretch of I-95. They lasted till late August 2015 at least. Rocks were clearly thrown from vehicles in two incidents, and from an overpass, by two people, in another. (Scott Wise, CBS 6. None appeared to involve firearms. Maybe BB or pellet guns.

In the midst of these, in July '15, one car was hit with what appers to have been a bullet that passed thru both a side and a back window. That happened about nine miles south of Bells Rd.

Finally there were the two incidents on 9/23/15 that happened within a minute of one another near the Bell Rd. exit. The police believe that bullets were involved.

I know it's a stretch, but some sort of training or initiation process might be involved that would look more like a cycle if we were seeing all the incidents. At least two of incidents do appear to involve pairs of people working together.

I don't believe the drone theory at all. These things are just to loud, very visible and difficult to control for novice users. However a while back, an 18 yr old Connecticut collage student rigged a drone up to fire a real handgun.
Video below

https://youtu.be/xqHrTtvFFIs

Not a likely fit for NOCO or maybe any of the random highway clusters, I'll grant, but way fun to mull over, IMO. The more I read about them, the more concerned I am about their capacity for anonymous violence.

It's good to have you on the thread, Matic. Your clear expertize in guns could be a big help, and strong opinions help keeping things moving. Welcome!

Here is one of the more advanced ones that has the "HOME" feature. It allows the user to mark the home position and then whenever he wants the drone to fly back to him, its a push of a button.

< abridged with respect >

When are you going to take yours for its first spin? Looking forward to hearing about it!

When are you going to take yours for its first spin? Looking forward to hearing about it!

I would love to take it out soon. I have to make sure its not a windy day and ive read the instructions and it sounds really neat. I looked up the model I got and the link below is the exact model I have. Notice the remote control and the TV type screen the remote has. I think I have to buy some batteries for the remote control part. The coptor itself has its own recharchable batteries inside it but the remote has separate normal batteries I have to get.

It is a really neat beginners model and I think I even got it cheaper than what they are advertising now. It was like a special of the day thing and I got carried away and impulse bought it. LOL.

http://www.evine.com/Product/456-750

Glendale News
Man pleads not guilty to killing grandparents with an ax

http://www.glendalenewspress.com/ne...ndparents-with-an-ax-20150921,0,6925473.story

<snipped - read more>

September 21, 2015 | 4:12 p.m.
A 34-year-old man accused of killing his elderly grandparents with an ax in their Glendale home pleaded not guilty Monday to two counts of capital murder, officials said.

<snipped, with respect, for brevity>

He is being held without bail, and is due back in court in November.

Do you think that we can expect a trial any time soon? I've been perplexed at how long it has taken to get Mohammed P. Whitaker to trial - 18 months so far - but I don't really know whether that is unusual or not.

Wow. A high point 9mm? Really?
High points are a running joke to anyone in the firearms community. You would have to be pretty close to your target to be able to hit anything with one, if you can get it to fire that is.
I'm also a bit curious about the 9mm penetrating windshields at longer distances.
Plenty of stories out there about the 9mm bouncing off of them.
If 8m not mistaken, that's one of the many reasons police depts switched to the .40 caliber. Lack of penetration.

Quoted from CSI don't think so.

What about windshields? This is an area of great variability. Because windshields are slanted and made of a tough combination of glass and plastic, it’s difficult to predict what will happen upon bullet impact. The result depends on the caliber of bullet, bullet shape and composition, what type of gun fired the bullet, and where the gun was fired in relation to the car. Numerous police accounts document handgun bullets ricocheting off windshields.

Head on, the slant of a windshield could very well cause a .38 caliber or 9mm slug to ricochet. Many law-enforcement officers use hollow-point bullets. However, hollow-points have less mass than a full metal jacket round and are more likely to ricochet, partly because some of the bullet’s energy is absorbed by the deformation of the hollow cavity during impact. Just as cars have crush zones to absorb impact during a crash, the hollow-point bullet has a built-in crush zone that may sometimes make it ineffective against a windshield.

here's a video on how unreliable these firearms are. In this video they are doing destructive testing. Finding out the breaking point of the hi point.
As you can see, the guy wearing the steel plated outfit that he is well prepared in case the firearm explodes.

https://youtu.be/2FoWpog5KU4

(Still catching up, but marking my spot to ponder...

:thinking: )

Thank you indeed for giving me this opportunity to pontificate, Find! As in Phoenix and NOCO, the I-95 incidents around Richmond vary considerably in weaponry, tactics and severity. I'm not entirely confident that they are all related to one another. They don't follow a pattern of starting out timidly and escalalating - but neither did the Phoenix or NOCO series. Like the Colorado incidents, they were started in 2013, stopped in 2014 and were concentrated in the spring and summer of this year.

The first I-95 attack, in Oct. '13 was very aggressive. The police believe that the passenger of another car blasted a shotgun from up close, thru the passenger-side window of the victims' car, hitting the passenger and driver. No where to escalate from there. It happened just two miles south of Bells Rd., the site of the most recent attacks.

Starting almost a year and a half later, there were half a dozen reports of much less lethal windshield shatterings up and down a sixteen mile stretch of I-95. They lasted till late August 2015 at least. Rocks were clearly thrown from vehicles in two incidents, and from an overpass, by two people, in another. (Scott Wise, CBS 6. None appeared to involve firearms. Maybe BB or pellet guns.

In the midst of these, in July '15, one car was hit with what appers to have been a bullet that passed thru both a side and a back window. That happened about nine miles south of Bells Rd.

Finally there were the two incidents on 9/23/15 that happened within a minute of one another near the Bell Rd. exit. The police believe that bullets were involved.

I know it's a stretch, but some sort of training or initiation process might be involved that would look more like a cycle if we were seeing all the incidents. At least two of incidents do appear to involve pairs of people working together.

NOCO random road shoot/shatter Incident List slice of the spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HhEltIWV-FlpJxZ6F_QEuVgSyY7Fc1C6ztmJ3hRghAA/edit?pli=1#gid=0

It's always fun and thoughtful to listen to you express yourself, Forager, and to read it. You have all my gratitude and more.

But (it's nagging, sorry), I so long for a diagram of every incident that in an easy generic way shows enough for any good guesses as to the direction (of the vehicle vs the shooter), velocity and source (stationary, moving, far, near) and any other factors one could include. I've never done anything like it online.

An interactive diagram maybe that could be re-used....jpg

up thread here

did anyone hear the 911 calls released a couple of days ago pertaining to tips about the phoenix shooter?...at this link first a guy reports a man heavily armed - with a 9mm on his hip and 15-20 magazines strapped to his body and an AR15 on a bike ...then a side-window shattering where the driver didn't see anything around him, next a scared woman with a window shattered, then a freaked out guy reporting a vehicle on the side of the road where hew saw a "gentleman" pulling a rifle out and tightening something up on the front barrel...so, two people actually saw a shooter! (maybe)...

[video=youtube;4UZE-2risEk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UZE-2risEk[/video]

if the guy in Jail actually did this, I think he is adamantly denying it for Daddy's sake, IMO...

Interesting that he/she would know it was a 9mm that was on his hip....in a holster.

< snipped for focus >

... I so long for a diagram of every incident that in an easy generic way shows enough for any good guesses as to the direction (of the vehicle vs the shooter), velocity and source (stationary, moving, far, near) and any other factors one could include. I've never done anything like it online.

Try this for starters. I've tried to illustrate the 6/16/15 incident in Westminster. It's one for which we have an unusually precise location description: the center southbound lane of I-25 near the 144th Avenue overpass. One source describes the location as "just under" the overpass and the other calls it "just south" of it. I have the map marker where the red dot is, but I figure that the victim's pickup could have been anywhere along the thick red line drawn along the center lane. The passenger window was hit. The driver said that there were no cars to his right (that is to the west, the passenger side).

The area in pink to the west of the car's path represents my guesstimate of the area from which the shooter could have taken his shot. I'm assuming that the shooter wouldn't be taking shots that were more oblique than a 45 degree angle to the plane of the window. The whole area is well within the effective range of a run-of-the-mill 22 caliber rifle, or of a high powered pellet gun.

Screenshot 2015-09-26 at 4.44.41 AM.png

Here is what the west embankment looks like to the south of the overpass when you are looking westward.

Screenshot 2015-09-26 at 4.55.09 AM.jpg

Here is what the west embankment looks like to the south of the overpass, when you are looking northward.

Screenshot 2015-09-26 at 4.50.11 AM.png

(The embankment to the north of the overpass is a mirror image of the one to the south, so I haven't included screen shots of it).

Let me know if you can think of helpful additions and I'll see if I can do them.

OMG. This is already so much better than what I could think of, thank you Forager!

Maybe others could pitch in with their ideas when they have a chance?

SQ, thank you for video upthread with folks calling in tips about potential shooters, fascinating to hear.

im seeing a lot of tanks/ turrets online with Remote controlled BB guns. Some are connected to a laptop, or phone. It enables the operator to see the area, aim the gun, and shoot remotely. I'm sure the tech crowd could replace the BB gun with a handgun.
Bouncing off Hatfield's drone posts, I'm sure a Feature could be added to bring a tank HOME. The tank would be on the ground so not as obvious as a drone above. With traffic, the shock of the blown out window, etc it would be easily overlooked.
Just another thought to add to the thread.

Find, I can't take credit for that video. I believe Searching posted it.

Find, I can't take credit for that video. I believe Searching posted it.

In my defense, SQ, you're both sweet, if one obviously confuses girls and queens, has bad grammar, punc. and can't type, sorry about that. I noticed and belatedly thanked searchinGirl.

Mechanical things seem more fallible, somehow. You don't see any shots on the top of the cars as misses, so I could see one propped to the side at just the right angle. The other thing would be the extra risk involved in organizing something like that as opposed to minimizing the risk of waiting for just the right moments or car, lots of practice hits somewhere else maybe?

It wouldn't seem as thrill seeking though, more somebody with some kind of gizmo fetish, I guess, if it's mechanically shot projectiles.

Try this for starters. I've tried to illustrate the 6/16/15 incident in Westminster. It's one for which we have an unusually precise location description: the center southbound lane of I-25 near the 144th Avenue overpass. One source describes the location as "just under" the overpass and the other calls it "just south" of it. I have the map marker where the red dot is, but I figure that the victim's pickup could have been anywhere along the thick red line drawn along the center lane. The passenger window was hit. The driver said that there were no cars to his right (that is to the west, the passenger side).

The area in pink to the west of the car's path represents my guesstimate of the area from which the shooter could have taken his shot. I'm assuming that the shooter wouldn't be taking shots that were more oblique than a 45 degree angle to the plane of the window. The whole area is well within the effective range of a run-of-the-mill 22 caliber rifle, or of a high powered pellet gun.

attachment.php

Here is what the west embankment looks like to the south of the overpass when you are looking westward.

attachment.php

Here is what the west embankment looks like to the south of the overpass, when you are looking northward.

attachment.php

(The embankment to the north of the overpass is a mirror image of the one to the south, so I haven't included screen shots of it).

Let me know if you can think of helpful additions and I'll see if I can do them.

Nice!!! Great work, thank you!

:yourock:

So, I've been thinking on that power couple name...Which one do you guys like better, ForaHGina or Findager? :biggrin:

attachment.php

Attachments

• tumblr_nbb9xlMLBH1qa71nco1_250-1.jpg
    tumblr_nbb9xlMLBH1qa71nco1_250-1.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 127
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/09/2...eway-shootings-is-indicted/?intcmp=latestnews

I found this interesting and thought others might also...they dropped the terrorism charge against the Phoenix shooter because they said the post-911 laws were intended for attacks against public utilities and did not apply to the freeway... I guess they don't consider this kind of infrastructure a public utility but I've always thought it was...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste