GUILTY CO - Possible Serial Shooter Has Colorado Drivers on Edge *Arrest* #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The fact that the shootings stopped may be the most important clue to the shooters identity. Perhaps the culprit was incarcerated for another crime?

Indeed. Fwiw, I posted several other suspicious incidents upstream that were happening around the time of the shootings, and when they stopped, which are likely unrelated, but still involve arrests.
Of course, if the perp is incarcerated for another crime, it could be for one much different in nature and could be appear unrelated (say hypothetically burglary or bank robbery).

This reminds me of a case I saw on tv, there was gun that had been sitting in a cold case evidence unit for yeeeears. Years later they rerun the gun and saw it came back as a link to another crime. I can't remember how exactly it happened, it was something to do with the timing of the processing and the logging of the information I think.

ABC15 in Phoenix ran a story, a couple of days ago, about a highway rear window shattering that had happened back in February - well before the case against Leslie Merritt fell appart and was dismissed. Phoenix' Dept. of Public Safety had concluded that "because the object did not penetrate the glass, it does not appear this damage was caused by a bullet and was likely caused by road debris." A half dozen commentators heaped sarcasm on their explanation. The NoCO Task force's silence on the I-25 window shatterings looking more and more honest by comparison.

New photos of back window shattered on Interstate 17
Rudy Rivas
7:47 AM, May 12, 2016

img_0816-001_1463063485555_38088445_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

The fact that the shootings stopped may be the most important clue to the shooters identity. Perhaps the culprit was incarcerated for another crime?

The PC didn't add much to what we already know. Unless the shooting start again, this case may never be solved.

In the same vein, might he have gotten help for his ailing mind and cleaned up his act? Am I right to assume that healthcare in the Front Range communities is well enough funded that someone with a head problem severe enough that he goes out and shoots strangers would be able to find treatment for it? If military training were in his background, he would presumably have qualified for treatment by the VA. There's is a VA clinic in Ft. Collins that offers "mental health counseling" according to its website, and a big VA hospital in Denver that offers "psychology services" including assessment and therapy.

Summarize one person and you are a profiler. Do it to everyone and you're a marketer.

Here's a demographic segmentation map that I came across, set in the screenshot to the Front Range. It's from this site belonging to the mapping software company ESRI.

Screenshot 2016-05-16 at 2.03.37 AM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot%u00252B2016-05-16%u00252Bat%u00252B1.38.22%u00252BAM.png
    Screenshot%u00252B2016-05-16%u00252Bat%u00252B1.38.22%u00252BAM.png
    319 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot%u00252B2016-05-16%u00252Bat%u00252B1.35.24%u00252BAM.png
    Screenshot%u00252B2016-05-16%u00252Bat%u00252B1.35.24%u00252BAM.png
    242.4 KB · Views: 8
Here again is the Tapestry Segmentation map by ESRI, now with our NoCO shooting and window shattering incidents. I couldn't find a date for the map.

Tapestry_w_NoCO_Incidents.jpg

Here's the legend in greater detail:

Screenshot%2B2016-05-16%2Bat%2B1.35.24%2BAM.png

Here is the ESRI source link.

A couple of nice articles marked yesterday's anniversary of John Jacoby's shooting:

One year later: John "Johnny" Jacoby's family holds out hope for resolution to murder
Kelly Ragan, May 17, 2016, The Greeley Tribune

No leads one year after Jacoby murder
Miles Blumhardt, May 18, 2016, The Coloradoan

I was pleased to see that the Coloradoan piece touched on the window shatterings, which have generally been ignored in recent articles:
"The task force also has not connected the shootings with the mysterious number of side vehicle windows that shattered last summer along north Interstate 25."

OT - An unidentified shooter has been arrested after hitting at least two people. ... two people when he opened fire at passing vehicles on an Arizona highway, according to police.

Arizona police arrest 'active shooter' who fired at officers, passing cars on highway

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...shooter-opened-fire-highway-article-1.2649080

Thanks for that. Do Phoenix and NoCO share some quirks of culture that might help explain why those two places have so many random shootings, and so many of them out on the highways?

There was a Dr. Phil show today devoted to Leslie Merritt's case. It is reviewed in this piece by:

Garrett Mitchell, The Republic | azcentral.com 7:06 p.m. MST May 26, 2016
Leslie Merritt Jr. talks about freeway-shooting case on 'Dr. Phil'

Dr. Phil walked Merritt thru each step of the case, with a fair amount of focus on problems with the state's case. He wraps up with: "It's horrifying to me that someone in America could be taken off the street and put into solitary confinement for 222 days." There was clip of the head of Phoenix DPS squirming thru a statement to the effect that LE had had plenty of probable cause against Merritt, rather than acknowledging that his shop had gotten its domestic terrorism case wrong.

But the system, writ large, did get it right, ultimately at least. It reminds you that the rules and procedures that sometimes seem to shield terrorists, also protect the rest of us.

William "Bill" Connolle was killed a year ago today.

William (Bill) Roger Connole, Jr., born April 11, 1950, passed away June 3, 2015 at the age of 65. Bill was the second of five children and spent his childhood in Connecticut and Maryland. He graduated from Georgetown Preparatory School in North Bethesda, MD in 1969 and earned a Bachelor of Science in Economics from Regis University in 1973. Bill was the swim team captain and played football for Georgetown Prep. He swam and played rugby at Regis University, and enjoyed playing rugby after college with the Denver Highlanders, who competed internationally. Bill spent his early years in the construction business, working on commercial and residential projects throughout Denver and Northern Colorado. He moved on to a successful 17-year career in Information Technology with Activent Solutions, Inc. Bill also worked for the U.S. Census Bureau, Home Depot, and Measured Progress. As a skilled craftsman he had been working towards opening his own wood-working business out of his Loveland woodshop where he completed many projects for private businesses and individuals in Northern Colorado. In 2014 Bill won a battle with cancer and decided to focus on doing the things he loved: woodworking, racquetball, brewing beer, attending sporting events, taking walks and teaching his children and grandchildren. His home was a welcoming place for friends, family, and neighbors to visit. Bill is survived by (snipped by me) and five grandchildren. Memorial contributions and donations may be made in Bill's name towards a future fund with the Thompson Education Foundation and sent to Viegut Funeral Home. The primary purpose of this fund would be to encourage the exposure of elementary age children in the local school districts to math and science. Condolences and dedications may be left at www.viegutfuneralhome.com.

Published in Loveland Reporter-Herald on July 10, 2015-
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/reporterherald/obituary.aspx?pid=175255228

attachment.php

attachment.php

Who killed you?

Attachments

• 295D593F00000578-0-image-m-21_1433461878049.jpg
    295D593F00000578-0-image-m-21_1433461878049.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 2016-06-03-14-27-42--780205330.jpg
    2016-06-03-14-27-42--780205330.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 63
Thanks for that. Do Phoenix and NoCO share some quirks of culture that might help explain why those two places have so many random shootings, and so many of them out on the highways?

There was a Dr. Phil show today devoted to Leslie Merritt's case. It is reviewed in this piece by:

Garrett Mitchell, The Republic | azcentral.com 7:06 p.m. MST May 26, 2016
Leslie Merritt Jr. talks about freeway-shooting case on 'Dr. Phil'

Dr. Phil walked Merritt thru each step of the case, with a fair amount of focus on problems with the state's case. He wraps up with: "It's horrifying to me that someone in America could be taken off the street and put into solitary confinement for 222 days." There was clip of the head of Phoenix DPS squirming thru a statement to the effect that LE had had plenty of probable cause against Merritt, rather than acknowledging that his shop had gotten its domestic terrorism case wrong.

But the system, writ large, did get it right, ultimately at least. It reminds you that the rules and procedures that sometimes seem to shield terrorists, also protect the rest of us.

I saw that Dr Phil special about the case. It was really good and boy I really thought he was the right suspect until after I saw that show.

His demeanor didn't help himself very much. He is lucky he was able to prove the gun was in the pawn shop for at least a couple of the shootings and he also had another alibi of sorts for another date where he was no where near the highway.

A couple of nice articles marked yesterday's anniversary of John Jacoby's shooting:

One year later: John "Johnny" Jacoby's family holds out hope for resolution to murder
Kelly Ragan, May 17, 2016, The Greeley Tribune

No leads one year after Jacoby murder
Miles Blumhardt, May 18, 2016, The Coloradoan

I was pleased to see that the Coloradoan piece touched on the window shatterings, which have generally been ignored in recent articles:
"The task force also has not connected the shootings with the mysterious number of side vehicle windows that shattered last summer along north Interstate 25."

Yes and proof seems to be in the pudding that there is much less incidents of side window shatterings than the huge spree we were dealing with at the time on this thread.

It kind of makes me wonder if the shooter(s) are in jail on other charges or maybe have moved from the area.

Maybe moved to Arizona?

It would be interesting if they ever connect any of the AZ shootings with the ones in Colorado.

I didn't realize the 2 states actually touch each other. The northeast corner of AZ touches the southwest corner of CO.
Hmmmmmm Maybe not a far fetched theory the shooter or shooters moved to AZ.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.2940044,-110.482987,6z

Really a bummer. One year later. No arrests.

Again, thanks to everyone for sticking around and for your contribution to these threads.

(Likely O/T, posting for reference re: Cape Coral Shootings:
http://www.news-press.com/story/news/crime/2016/06/06/what-we-know-cape-coral-shootings/85476728/

"1. The rampage began at approximately 5:45 p.m. when the suspect shot and killed a motorcyclist at the intersection of Skyline Boulevard and 26th Street SW.

2. The suspect proceeded to the Circle K in the 1600 block of Cape Coral Parkway where about 45 minutes later, at 6:30 p.m., he shot and killed one person and injured another.")

Northern Colorado Shooting Task Force
https://www.facebook.com/898627956871939/videos/vb.898627956871939/1021675177900549/?type=2&theater
5 hrs ago

June 3, 2015 Surveillance Video
The Northern Colorado Shooting Task Force is releasing this surveillance video of the motorcyclist who was shot at near Denver Avenue and East 18th Street in Loveland, CO on June 3, 2015 at approximately 10:30 pm. The video shows the motorcyclist being followed by the shooter in a pickup truck. The motorcyclist was shot at just moments after this video was taken, but was not injured. Approximately 12 minutes later, the shooter shot and killed Mr. William Connole on the northwest corner of East 1st Street and North St. Louis Avenue. The Task Force is asking for the public’s assistance in identifying anyone who was in the area around the time this video was taken and may have seen this truck. The truck is a 1973-1987 Chevy/GMC orange pickup. If you were near Denver Avenue and Highway 34 on June 3, 2015 around 10:30 pm, and saw this truck, please contact us at 970-498-5595 or

News article that includes the same video for those who don't do Facebook:
http://www.9news.com/news/crime/nor...-force-surveillance-video-loveland-/235790266

The task force would have checked out the owners any such trucks registered in Larimer or Weld county. But those in the area on a temporary basis seldom bother to change the registration on a vehicle.

Thanks Footwarrior and Foxfire for those links.

I was pretty impressed that LE was able to spot the motorcyclist and pickup truck in that video. Even with them circled for me, I had to squint hard and give my imagination full rein to make them out.

Am I inferring correctly from your post, Footwarrior, that LE has to access vehicle registration information county by county in this day and age?

Police: Vandals shatter 160 windows with BB guns in Fort Collins
POSTED 9:56 PM, JUNE 9, 2016, BY WEB STAFF, UPDATED AT 05:30AM, JUNE 10, 2016

FORT COLLINS, Colo. -- There were more than 160 police reports filed after police said vandals armed with BB guns shattered windows on vehicles across Fort Collins, causing thousands of dollars in damage. ... 165 similar reports [were] filed over the past month. ...The cases started popping up in mid-April, one year after the seemingly random shootings began in northern Colorado. Police said there is "no reason to believe there's a connection". [End quote].

I don't see much in common with the I-25 window shatterings either. Rampages like this one, targeting unoccupied vehicles, aren't uncommon. The only thing that strikes me as unusual here is how persistent the series has been. Almost all of the other ones I've read about only happened during the course of one or two days.

I was interested to note that the "Police *believe* the vandals were armed with BB or pellet guns... ." The lack of ballistic evidence has been a mysterious feature of the I-25 shatterings. Could the police not yet have "ballistic evidence" to go on when the have been 160 stationary targets?

The Coloradoan published a nice map of the incidents (from City releases new details in vandalism spree, Alicia Stice, 6/9/16)

Screenshot 2016-06-14 at 10.45.15 AM.png

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
weskerwife
Back