Found Deceased CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *Arrest* #29

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A question for our verified attorneys - can you please explain the Grand Jury process and will there be one in this case?

Thank you
I think that a grand jury is only used by a prosecutor to decide what if any charges will be filed in a case. In this case the prosecution decided on their own so I don't think there would be a need for a grand jury.

I re read it. It definitely has his name. Dumb question but when these forms are created is it something that has to be changed back & forth & whomever did this forgot to change "hers" to "his"?

Someone upthread mentioned these are probably stock forms and they probably forgot to read through and change this one

They rarely sentence people to death there, and even then, don’t carry it out with any regularity (1997 being the last). It gives the DA leverage in this case, which is always a great thing to have in forcing a plea.
But does it really have any leverage if the DP is not implemented?

While I think it is an error, I can think of several cases where the defendant, once arrested and held, wished to be known by another gender.

Very true. But in my opinion Occam's razor applies and it was probably a careless error as I said before in using stock forms and not taking the time to personalize to the case. Not a good look for the defense though lol IMO

I'm not sure. If Colorado has a moritorium of implenting the DP, what is the point? Plus the costs of the appeal process, it seems a waste of money and resource to me.
Thanks for your reply. It was posted on a previous WS thread that referred to this as a possible "capital" case on Ashley Banfield's show yesterday, by a guest Craig Silverman.
Here is the link to the post:
Found Deceased - CO - Shanann Watts (34), Celeste"Cece" (3) and Bella (4), Frederick, 13 Aug 2018 *Arrest* #28

A question for our verified attorneys - can you please explain the Grand Jury process and will there be one in this case?

Thank you

Yes. The grand jury is used in Colorado for certain cases. It is used to determine if there is enough for an indictment.

They won't use one here because the DA already made that determination and did not see the need for a grand jury.

I wonder if that is a common practice in Co ?

I think it is not as common as it was for awhile, anywhere, since casey anthony:

"Jurors in the Aurora theater shooting murder trial will not have to live in hotel rooms during the four or more months the trial takes, according to a judge's order issued Thursday.

Judge Carlos Samour rejected a request by the lawyers of suspect James Holmes that the jury be sequestered during the trial, to prevent exposure to media coverage of the case that might impact their decision.

Samour wrote that sequestration would be an "unnecessarily drastic, expensive, and impractical remedy that will significantly impact the pool of prospective jurors and will create an extreme and undue hardship for jurors.""

No jury sequestration in Aurora theater shooting trial, judge rules

They learned.

Yes. The grand jury is used in Colorado for certain cases. It is used to determine if there is enough for an indictment.

They won't use one here because the DA already made that determination and did not see the need for a grand jury.
That's great! Thank you. Could you explain the DA's determination please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rsteen